Face Plante?

He was injured up north right at the beginning of training camp, and his name was announced when we were thinking Cherepanov or Esposito.

Alexandre Plante is a huge kid from Brandon who scouts liked a ton before the draft. Redline said “Alex Plante has come a long way since the beginning of the season to be included on this top 10 list. At 6-4/215-pounds, he showed surprising offensive skills, particularly on the PP, where he can act as either trigger man or quarterback. He’s not a big baggage smasher, but will use his body in front and to tie forwards up along the walls.

Since the draft, we’ve had a chance to get excited about Samwise Gagner, and a little bit about Riley Nash too.

Not so much Plante. Until tonight, when he scored his first goal of the season and is +2. His stats for the year thus far (5gp, 1-1-2, +1) show just how much time he’s missed to injury (tonight is Calgary’s 33rd game of the year).

From the Hitmen site, a few items about Plante:

• Favorite School Subject?Math
  • Any Strange Hobbies?Singing in the Shower
  • Favorite Movie?Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
  • Favorite Music?Dylan Yeo’s Singing
  • Favorite Food?Meat
  • What is Your Favorite Part About Practice?Being at The Rink
  • Words To Live By….The Worst Day At The Rink Is Better Than The Best Day At The Office

Favorite Food? MEAT? I wonder if it’s cooked.

12 Responses to "Face Plante?"

1. Black Dog says:

I think kid has a nickname.

Hey, Meat.

2. K says:

They’re made out of meat.

3. Ribs says:

Kinda sounds like the Calgary water has rotted his brain a bit. Get him out!

4. PDO says:

I sure hope Meat doesn’t get pounded too often.

5. PunjabiOil says:

Meat makes the man.

You don’t make friends with salad

6. uni says:

You don’t make friends with salad.

Great, now that inane tune will be stuck in my head all morning…thanks a tonne PO.

7. Doogie says:

Plante and his current D partner, Dan Mercer, both scored in last night’s shellacking. You know, I understand it’s honourable not to run up the score when you’re leading 6-2 after about 27:30, it’s pretty damned boring for the fans to watch you try desperately not to fuck up for the rest of the game.

I’m wondering if Kisio has Plante with Mercer to work him back in, or if he’s just reshuffled his pairs from last year. Plante played a decent amount with Alzner, especially in the playoffs, but I don’t think they’ve been on the ice together at all this year, outside line changes. Alzner is now paired with Keith Seabrook, who incidentally had a terrible game against Spokane last Friday — like, mind-blowingly bad.

Given that I’ve seen Plante in maybe three or four games this year, I really have nothing more to offer, other than “I hope this doesn’t become a chronic thing.” Okay, well, I do have information on the Christmas ornament he made for charity a few days ago, but I don’t think anyone cares about that, since it won’t exactly forecast his long-term Oilers performance very well. ;)

8. Doogie says:

Final thought on the Hitmen themselves, that may be of use to you: they have the raw talent to unceremoniously clobber pretty much every team in the Dub, except maybe Spokane and Vancouver. Trouble is, they know this, so it’s hard to get a consistent, honest effort out of them sometimes. Hence why they’re not in the CHL Top 10, that I’ve seen, lately.

9. Shawn says:

A guy named Plante nicknamed Meat? That’d be nice and ironic.

10. Pi says:

Long time reader. First time commenter.

I pretty much echo what doogie says about Plante. I got to watch him at the teddy bear toss game against a horrible Prince George team, and it looked like Kisio wanted to ease him into the game, given his injury problems this year. He had an OK game. He seems to be pretty smart when it comes to defensive zone coverage. Kisio also had him play with a few different D partners, namely Frere (who also looks like on ok player) and Seabrook, who is absolutely horrible in his own end (Maybe its a “saw him bad” kinda thing, but doogie seems to see the same thing).

I like Plante a fair bit. I “saw him good” in a few games last year and was hoping the Oilers would nab him. He’s still pretty raw, and it might take some time for his coordination to catch up to his brain. I’m rooting for him though, and once he gets more ABs this year, he should round into form.

Great work as always LT. Your blog is an oasis for this Calgary-based Oilers fan.

11. Daniel says:

Hey Pi, welcome to the institute.

Goil!

12. Doogie says:

Hey Pi,

My season seats are in Section 108, but for the Spokane game, I sat up in 227 while waiting for a friend to show (never came). Got a whole new perspective on Seabrook’s defensive play, let me tell you. There was one play where he, Alzner, and Spence all failed to deal with a puck lying in the crease, leading to one of several five-alarm chances in the first two periods.

Anyway, I had similar observations about Plante last year (and I’ve been watching him since he joined the team at 15 for the ’05 playoffs). I think he’ll be fine in a few games.

And how about that Kyle Bortis? I dunno if he wasn’t being used right in Swift Current or if something in Calgary agrees with him, but he’s been a point per game since coming here. And he’s undrafted, to boot.