Go Down Gambling

In tonight’s AHL game featuring the Springfield Falcons, Jean-Francois Jacques took a first period major for cross-checking (5 mins), a fighting major (5 mins) and a game misconduct (10 mins) for cross checking at 16:42 of the first period.

I don’t know exactly what he did, except it was something. The Springfield Falcons site (the best site on the internet, bar none) says “Falcons left wing Jean-Francois Jacques was issued a major penalty for cross checking and a game misconduct late in the first period sending Hartford on the man advantage” which I think we can agree brings it all into focus.

It’s about damn time. JF Jacques (and Marco Polo) is a drowning man and although taking 20 minutes and a game misconduct might not do anything for your point total, it makes a point all the same.

For his part Pouliot had an assist on a Sebastien Bisaillon powerplay goal early in the third period and added a powerplay goal himself later on.

Is anyone paying attention in Edmonton? Does it matter?

16 Responses to "Go Down Gambling"

1. Pat H says:

LT: I think that some of the other bloggers are starting to rub off on you. I’m starting to notice an increase in cynical humor. Don’t get me wrong, though – I like it.

btw – I kind of doubt anyone in Edmonton cares. At least anyone affiliated with the Oilers organization. :P

pat h: People are pissing me off. I’ll be fine soon. :-)

3. Gord says:

LT, Roy scratched because of immigration? What’s the story on that?

It does sound weird, doesn’ it? He has played down there before (during this season) so maybe his work visa ran out? I don’t know, this seems a little strange alright.

5. namflashback says:

lt, given JFJ’s multiple chances he would need to have 15 games in a row just like this one:

2PPG pace + playing only half the game because he was kicked out for royally trashing some asshole on the opposition

6. doritogrande says:

Don’t care much about Pouliot or JFJ anymore. The only Oiler prospects I’m really focussing on now in Springfield are Schremp, Deslauriers, Peckham, Dubnyk, and O’Marra (because he finally got called up, so it’s time to see if he’s all that).

They’ve been very effectively passed on the depth chart, and the only reason I see for their recall are either a)Lowe owes MacT a favour; or b) Massive injuries from our forwards (at least another 4 at this point).

dorito: Prospects ebb and flow, and most of them have their arrows pointed in the wrong direction from time to time.

I might be wrong, but imo both Pouliot and Jacques will get legit shots from other NHL teams when they are traded/not signed.

And if we’re honest, the clearance in real terms offensively between Robert Nilsson and Marc Pouliot isn’t large.

8. Jamie says:

Pat h said I kind of doubt anyone in Edmonton cares. At least anyone affiliated with the Oilers organization. .

Why not? The Oilers seem to really love flauting their image (Oil drop, Oil Country, etc…). Why have they not dropped in Web site aficionado Andreas Schwabe to clean up the disaster on Springfield’s site. Because frankly, I care.

For those that are interested in the Oil depth chart (I think that’d be many of the readers here), it means wanting details from the whole system (AHL, ECHL, etc). The Thunder’s site is years ahead of the Falcons’.

9. Pleasure Motors says:

That’s not really fair.

Robert Nilsson

NHL stats:
    87 GP, 10G, 26A, 46 Pts, .529ppg

AHL stats:
    103 GP, 28G, 70A, 98 Pts, .951ppg

Marc-Antoine Pouliot

NHL:
    63 GP, 5G, 7A, 12 Pts, .190ppg

AHL: 120 GP, 35G, 57A, 92 Pts, .767ppg

That’s a really significant difference, offensively. You could argue that Pouliot contributes more defensively, maybe even that on a cost/benefit analysis, he comes out ahead (though certainly not this season), but Nilsson and Pouliot are not the same kind of player offensively, at all.

The only reason we think Pouliot can score is because he played with Sidney Crosby.

Overall QMJHL ppg: 1.31
    QMJHL ppg with Crosby: 1.53
    QMJHL ppg w/o Crosby: 1.03

And that’s a pretty high-scoring league. We pretty much got suckered here. Remember the days when we were comparing Pouliot with Zach Parise? Anyone care to argue for Pouliot in that one now?

I can’t believe I actually spent the time to look this up.

10. Andy Grabia says:

Last time I checked, Jacques has played 53 games in the NHL. He has zero points. No goals. No assists. No second assists. No garbage points. Nothing. Zero points. In 60% of a NHL hockey season. He has had a legit chance. And all he’s proven so far is that he just can’t play at the NHL level. If I had written about Schremp not getting a legit shot, you’d be all over me, LT. Yet he’s only played 3 games in the NHL. Cmon, now. :)

11. Bruce says:

Robert Nilsson
    NHL stats:
    87 GP, 10G, 26A, 46 Pts, .529ppg

pleasure motors:

While your point is no less valid, in the constant pursuit of accuracy I should point out Rowbear’s NHL totals are 10-26-36, for .414 ppg. Which is still comfortably more than double Pouliot’s paltry average.

Furthermore, in ES GF/GA per 60 this season, even after last night’s dismal performance Nilsson is keeping his head above water at +2.47/-2.28, whereas Pouliot is a dismal +0/-4.83, without adjusting for line changes. (Is “+0″ a real number?) No doubt LT will talk about (in)equality of opportunity and there’s some merit to that, but even MP’s fans have to admit their man screwed the pooch this fall, and he’s still paying the price. I still wouldn’t rule out seeing him later in the season, but he’s going to have to prove a thing or three at the AHL level first. For now, mentioning him in the same sentence as Rowbear is wishful thinking.

Guys,

First of all, holy shit. I definitely have to think before I type next time. :-)

Okay, Nilsson V. Pouliot and let’s throw Zach Parise in too just for fun:

NHL TOTALS
    Zach Parise (20) at EV: 1.46 points-per-hour
    Robert Nilsson (20) at EV: 1.56 points-per-hour
    Marc Pouliot (21) at EV/60mins: 1.17

Now, do we remember the people Pouliot was playing with? Against? I do know Parise had Zajac and Langebrunner on his line and he played softer than average minutes compared to other NJD forwards. Desjardins says Pouliot played with poor linemates (second worst on the team) although Raffi was #1 on the list.

Pouliot did not perform well this fall, but I would remind you that he was moved off of his natural position and given the dixie dregs as linemates.

I think the “linemates” question is a very large element in the conversation. Earlier this year, Steoguchi from SJS was playing on Thornton’s line and as of November 28 of this year was leading the league in rookie EV points-per-60:

1. Devin Setoguchi, SJS (11gp, 7-1-8, 3.19)
    2. Peter Mueller, PHX (20gp, 6-4-10, 2.26)
    3. Patrick Kane, CHI (23gp, 7-15-22, 2.10)
    4. David Perron, STL (14gp, 5-3-8, 2.09)
    5. Andrew Cogliano, EDM (24gp, 5-9-14, 2.04)
    6. Martin Hanzal, PHX (21gp, 2-9-11, 1.81)
    7. Sam Gagner, EDM (23gp, 2-7-9, 1.80)
    8. Daniel Carcillo, PHX (21gp, 4-7-11, 1.78)
    9. Niklas Backstrom, WSH (24gp, 2-12-14, 1.35)
    10. Jonathan Toews, CHI (21gp, 8-8-16, 1.22)

Setoguchi got sent out yesterday, his PP sitting at 1.86. Also, notice some of the ppg’s of the league leaders on this list.

ebb, meet flow.

Back to Nilsson V. Pouliot: Right now Nilsson has the job and the organizational bump and Pouliot is picking bottles in the ditch to make the rent.

Fact of the matter is the difference between the guys in the minors (Pouliot, Schremp) is not all that large in real terms but miles and miles in terms of opportunity and organizational commitment.

And I like Nilsson.

13. Doogie says:

Speaking of minor league updates, here’s one a day early: Alex Plante went down again last night. Run from behind in the second period by Lethbridge’s Adam Chorneyko, looked like he went down awkwardly, twisting up his right knee, or possibly the groin (may also have a concussion — his head hit the boards pretty damned hard). He didn’t come back for the third, suggesting he’s probably going to be out for a while, though I see nothing on the Hitmen or WHL websites at this point. He wasn’t exactly having his best game that night anyway, but it’s just one more blow to his development he didn’t need. (Ironically, while the Hitmen scored twice during the incurred major, neither was a PPG — the first came with Ian Schultz in the box for roughing on that same play; the second came with Kyle Bortis in for a dumb tripping penalty right after he scored the 3-2 goal.)

Which mid-80s first-rounder was the D-man who had no career thanks to injuries? Was that Selmar Odelein? It was before my time, so I’m a bit fuzzy on the subject.

14. Dennis says:

I think NFB, BTW, does that remind anyone of the old Black Sabbath tune, NIB?;) has pretty much nailed the conditions by which we would once again see JFJ as an Oiler. The only other thing I’d add is if we saw an absolute tonne of injuries. I’m not really sure what he’ll do with another team but throughout the first two years of his pro career, he looked every bit like a future NHLer. Now he’s back in the A for his third year and his PPG has actually regressed and I think the young man is mindfucked.

As for MP, he had seven SOG last night, along with a goal and an assist, so a nice time for Lain to bring up his name.

No doubt about it.

As for Nilsson, he had a stretch where he wasn’t doing anything, then he was picking up a point a night all the while creating just only one chance a night and then he played on Fernie’s Kids and they looked like a real line. Now he’s back to blipping a bit and you wonder who’s the best bet as a pro going forward.

The only thing I would say about Pouliot is that if he comes back, for the love of God, give him at least the quality of teammate as Nilsson has seen. Then I’ll make my mind up on him.

I doubt I’ll get that chance, though.

15. Pleasure Motors says:

Whoops. Thanks for the correction, bruce. I think the time of the post explains that one.

Also, opportunity or not, I still don’t think it’s at all fair to call Nilsson and Pouliot similar offensive players. The only time Pouliot’s really looked he can score like Nilsson was when he was playing with Sidney Crosby.

16. Bank Shot says:

[quote]I’d honestly like to know why he showed up to camp and was put on units with kids and scrubs after playing some decent hockey down the stretch last year. Something happened between the jigs and reels.[/quote]

Maybe because he just isn’t that good. He hasn’t really shown anything at the NHL level that indicates he could score consistently whether or not he got the chance to play with dream team linemates.

Last season it was looking like Pouliot was a decent low event guy, but perhaps that was just luck combined with Mact’s handling of him, and a small sample size. Pouliot is a minus player this year in the AHL just like he has always been, and Robert Nilsson has taken his spot as the young forward that never gets scored on.
    Go figure.

I have a hard time fathoming how a young, quality, two-way NHL calibre player could have that bad of luck for 120+ AHL games.

Seems to me like he’s been given alot of chances to earn his keep at the NHL level, but he’s done little with them.