Oilers #10 Prospect December 2007: Jeff Petry

Current Rank: 10
Summer 2007 Rank: 14

Jeff Petry says he was “a pretty good first baseman but I couldn’t hit very well” which meant he was absolutely destined to be drafted by one of my two favorite teams (Oilers or Expos). His father, Dan Petry, was a quality starter for the glorious 1984 Detroit Tigers who won the WS that season.

Better that the Oilers grabbed him.

The only really good scouting information I’ve ever read on him comes from Guy Flaming at Hockey’s Future: “Petry is a smart two-way defenseman who is an excellent skater with good mobility, which he uses to shut down opponents. The 6’2.5, 176-pound Petry plays with an edge and can lay out some good hits. He also doesn’t mind battling in front of the net. Offensively, Petry has a cannon for a point shot, but often uses a wrist shot as well so that it does not get blocked and does not allow the goaltender to set up. Petry also uses his skating and stick skills to make accurate passes out of the zone or to skate the puck up himself, which he has the speed and stickhandling to do.”

I’ve read in a few places that he’s a “good skater for his size” which is like saying “he runs well for a catcher.” Without having seen him play, I’d suggest footspeed is something we need to get more information on with regard to Dan Petry’s kid.

Another thing: his scouting reports are really vague, which in my experience (I’ve been reading these things since 1971) means that he doesn’t do any one thing well. So I’m ranking him ahead of Plante, Reddox and Cody Wild but I’m not certain he’ll be a better player. The less unique a prospect the more likely he’ll fade into the woodwork.

8 Responses to "Oilers #10 Prospect December 2007: Jeff Petry"

1. rickibear says:

Lt: It is nice going to prospect sites like michigan state and reading things like this.
    “Jeff Petry generated the break with a nice play from behind his own blue line, pushing the puck from out of the zone.”
    “Freshman Jeff Petry was a team-best +3 with an assist …”

2. jon says:

There are some interesting things to note about Petry. When we do get news of him, it’s generally very positive. Bob Mancini was interviewed on Guy Flaming’s show a few weeks ago and absolutely raved about him. Basically he went on about how it was “an absolute treat” to watch him every time and was one of the organizations hidden gems.

Which is all well and good, but it’s important to remember that he’s a late draft and is actually only 6 months younger than Chorney.

Anyway, for the most part it sounds like he’s another Tom Gilbert-type defender, with pretty similar credentials. However, there have been suggestions that he’s got more of a physical presence and the ability to log huge minutes.

Pretty exciting stuff overall, as long as we temper our enthusiasm and remember how old the kid actually is.

3. Baroque says:

I hope he has the same nickname as his father.

Sparky always called him “Peaches.”

4. PunjabiOil says:

Hey, thanks for these prospect updates Lowetide. I just don’t know how you do it.

This is all stuff that wouldn’t touch the MSM.

Cheers,

PJO

PS – On an unrelated note, Schremp has now put up 15 pts in his last 11 games.

5. Devin says:

LT- you have a knack with these odd pictures. Notice something missing there? I only noticed because I thought he was a RH shot, but I doubt he was doing much shooting there.

6. Doyle says:

I’ve been following MSU hockey since 1980 and Jeff Petry might be the best defensemen I’ve watched play for the Spartans. That’s including players like Jason Woolley.

Cool blog by the way.

7. Doogie says:

Also, 6’2.5″ and 176 lbs? Sounds like a boy in desperate need of a good steak or twelve.

8. oilnamerica says:

Petry is no longer 176 lbs, that was his weight when he was drafted in June of ’06. The Michigan State site has him listed at 6’3” 200. Also in regards to his footspeed, he is an extremely good skater for anyones size. At Edmonton’s prospect camp this summer, Petry’s forward skating time was 4th among all prospects and he was the fastest skater backwards at the camp.