Oilers at Ducks, G27/07-08

Fernando plays tonight.

63 Responses to "Oilers at Ducks, G27/07-08"

1. Shawn says:

I was just talking about this on my blog, but I think if he’s ready you have to give him a chance to score some goals.

Obviously Fernando does a few things… he makes the PK better, he makes any line he’s on tougher to score against, and he should motivate the room.

However, he’s also proven he can deliver results on the big stage more than pretty much any winger we have.

Should we be talking about giving Fernando big PP minutes and some line mates who can get him the puck?

Is it absurd to talk about him playing LW with Hemmer and Horc?

I thought about the lines when the team is healthy. They could be pretty good in terms of being tough to play against.

Imagine:

Penner Horcoff Hemsky
    Torres Stoll Pisani
    Moreau Cogliano Brodziak
    Sanderson Reasoner Gagner

I think that’s pretty good. I think while they may not score much, there’s no easy opposition there. Fourth line wouldn’t play much of course.

What about Pisani on the top line though? Without Moreau or Sanderson how would that look/work?

Pisani Horcoff Hemsky
    Torres Stoll Penner
    Thoreson Cogliano Brodziak
    Gagner Reasoner Stortini

Is that worth trying? I’d like to see him get a shot.

I look at Fernando’s spring 2006 as being similar to Bogart saying “we’ll always have Paris.”

Pisani is a quality two-way winger who spent 8 weeks playing the role of Roy Hobbs.

I don’t think counting on him to be an impact powerplay performer is a good idea. Having said that, I’m thrilled he’s playing tonight.

Very good day.

3. Shawn says:

Counting on is very different than trying it out. I mainly suggest it because… well… what else has worked?

4. jon says:

Friday’s game against Anaheim could be the turning point of our season. A blowout against our most hated non-Alberta rivals, and the beginning of the return of lost men.

Excellent.

5. Black Dog says:

Hooray!

6. Pat H says:

WOW. Reading that it’s going to happen gave me chills.

That said, I really think it’s too soon. I heard him on 1260 a couple of days ago, and realistically, it just didn’t sound like he was that close. I think that he’s itching to get back, which is a testament to his desire to play, but I wonder whether he’s truly ready. Unfortunately, this could be a bit anti-climactic.

Regardless, I don’t think there’s a person with a beating heart who isn’t pulling for him.

7. Doogie says:

Even if he’s not 100% tonight, the emotional boon to the dressing room would be akin to Saku Koivu’s return to Montreal five years ago. This team is going to come out with more energy than they’ve had since Game 6 of the Finals.

FERNANDOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

8. Devin says:

Honestly, Thoresen and Pisani both back in one day? It’s like Christmas came early (except for Hemsky being hurt, of course)

9. PDO says:

Just another reason to wish I had a sniff at tickets on the 5th.

All I can say, is Fernando has to be in the starting lineup, and the ovation will be stunning.

10. therealdeal says:

sweet! Moral victories boys, moral victories.

11. HBomb says:

Just another reason to wish I had a sniff at tickets on the 5th.

I managed to unexpectedly end up with a ticket for Wednesday night. I plan on giving Crosby a warm applause and Pisani a rousing standing ovation, and I’m hoping other people plan on doing the same.

12. Mr DeBakey says:

Fun Fact

The Cap Hit for the Oiler’s line-up tonight is $34,237,619

13. Dennis says:

That’s a nice dig, Mr. D, but let’s not forget that a guy like Souray has negative value at EV.

14. Scarlett says:

Too bad his first game back is on the road. Crowd at Rexall on Wednesday (including me) will give him his standing O.

15. Mr DeBakey says:

Dennis
    When I got that number I felt just like Lowe must’ve when he discovered all those Dmen on the roster
    “Holy Mackerel!”

Was it you who posted about a possible, doable trade that would help the Oilers?
    How about
    Reinprecht from Phoenix
    [for Nilsson?]
    I see he is at his usual points pace – slightly more than 2 pts every 3 games.

Play him
    LW with Horcoff/Hemsky or
    C a second line

16. PDO says:

Answer: Corry Perry
    Question: Why should the instigator penalty be abolished?

What a POS.

Outside of that… I just saw Zach Stortini make a smart play, and it resulted in a goal for the Oilers.

Nuts.

PDO: Yeah, that was a good hockey play with the puck by Stortini. Man it’s good to see Fernando.

Raffi scores a goal, and then on the PP a beauty pass about 6 miles wide for (I think) Stoll. lol. Raffi’s Raffi.

Why does the SN announcer say “lets the shot go!” every time? You’d think he’d go back over the broadcast and realize that every now and then a different phrase would be less irritating.

19. PDO says:

At least he’s not Loubardious.

He’s like a Flames fan, in that he makes a one syllable word two syllables. “SCA-WHORES!” “FA-LAMES”

PDO: Good point. lol.

21. Devin says:

I know Gilbert made a great play there to score, but sweet jesus that was a sweet area pass by Gagner. I haven’t seen him do that in a couple months now, but wow. He knew exactly what was going to happen there, and just caressed that one onto Gilbert who buried it for him.

22. Devin says:

… or was it Horc who made that pass?

4-0, now. The Oilers defense looks really good with the puck, and Rourke is going to be tough to send out imo.

24. Mustafa Hirji says:

4-0? My God! What’s happening?

Is this karma for not being able to score for the first 1/3 of the season?

Are the Ducks back to being our whipping boys?

I’m totally confused.

25. PunjabiOil says:

Very impressed with Rouke. He’s the kind of defensive defenceman the Oilers need to sort of balance. He’s doing a great job blocking shots. Cheap, effective defenceman – that’s why I hated giving Roy a one-way that kicks in next year.

Garon is playing well, PK is climbing towards top of the NHL.

Even Stoll is picking it up. 4 assists in the past 2 games (all of the 2nd assist variety)

Man, never felt this good about the team in a while.

26. doritogrande says:

Devin,

No, that was Samwise. I was confused also, but it was he-of-the-6th overall pick.

27. Steve says:

I don’t think there are many experiences in life that can match being an Oilers fan for sheer ridiculousness. That is all.

//Interesting, btw, how different this team looks when Stoll is playing like Stoll.//

Worth repeating.

29. Ribs says:

Stanley Cup here we come!

Well, maybe not. But this is fun to watch.

I just wish the damn camera man would find his gaddanged zoom button.

30. uni says:

Seems fitting that I can no longer get game feeds to work in the two blowout Oilers wins this year.

How’s Pisani looking for you lucky blighters?

And what’s this I see about Stoll playing like Stoll?

The Edmonton Oilers are ahead of Calgary. Will it be enough for them to fire Keenan?

Pisani looked good to me on the PK, didn’t play as much as he will soon (Thoresen didn’t play much either).

It was an all around good effort I thought, the stars by zone imo were Horcoff, Staios and Garon.

HM to Rourke, Pitkanen, Gilbert on the D, and to Gagner for a beauty pass, Penner for a couple of things, Cogs for being a fine kid and Marty for being heart and soul.

This Oilers team looks like a bunch of banditos when they win on the road.

32. Black Dog says:

A couple of nice wins in a row.

Listened to the game on CHED (magic of the interweb) and many a time heard “Ducks threatening and a pass picked off by Pisani” – music to my ears.

Interesting to see what happens when the rest of the cavalry returns – do you move Tarnstrom? Sanderson? Do you send Nilsson out? Stortini? Smid?

And Rourke sounds like he just does a nice solid job out there. Good for him.

33. PunjabiOil says:

____________

I would. As good as he’s been, he’s no longer an offensive whiz as he used to be. The Oilers can use his cap space on raises to Pitkanen and Gilbert. Simply too many defenceman right now (4 guys already out and still not missing a beat)

A package deal is ideal.

Sanderson is close to being done, and doesn’t really have hands anymore. I don’t think there’s any interest, but at the deadline, why not?

I would keep Nilsson around for a bit longer. He’s put up 6 points in 18 games and +1 – not great, but not bleeding goals against either.

I still wouldn’t mind dealing Roloson at the deadline. He just doesn’t fit in the organization’s long term plans.

Stortini is a guy that just seems to ”get it.” I think he can be effective as a 12/13th forward. Some will disagree.

BDHS: I don’t rightly know what to do when Souray gets back. Without being a dink about it, the current blueline is starting to look better (with holes) as Smid gets more comfortable and Rourke does his Don Awrey impersonation.

Here are the EV minutes for the D tonight:

Grebeshkov 17:16
    Staois 15:02
    Gilbert 14:55
    Smid 14:03
    Rourke 13:42
    Pitkanen 13:18

Souray can suck up the PP minutes and Grebeshkov isn’t going to average 17/M per night at EVs over the season, so do you take Rourke out and then ride Pitkanen at EVs?

PJ Oil: I don’t think anyone can really complain about Stortini if he can play this well. One of the very encouraging things about him is that he is having good performances after good performances.

Brodziak is doing that consistently, Cogliano too. Add Stortini to the list and no matter where they land at the end of the season those three rookies getting 400 ab’s and surviving is a nice development season.

Do you think Doug Wilson would take Souray, say, for a bag of pucks?

37. PDO says:

LT:

Which leads me to the point:

Is it that bad of a thing if Souray were to aggravate his injury again? And is it an even better thing if that injury forced him to retire?

Now… it’s obviously a terrible thing to HOPE for. But if it happened, would the Oilers be better off? I mean, you and I both know that contract is terrible, and that is really the only way we can get away from it, given the NMC and the $’s attached to it.

Just saying, that’s all…

38. uni says:

Stortini winning over LT? What the heck did I miss the last two games?

And man, I hope this isn’t the high point of the season. Also are we in the middle of a 10 game winning streak now?

uni: I’d still prefer Pouliot, and Stortini has no real track record of outscoring, but he’s played well lately so credit where it’s due.

PDO: Oh yeah, agreed. I wish no ill will to Souray but that contract was a bad one.

40. PunjabiOil says:

It’s not that Souray’s contract is terrible, it’s that the MRP of his contract is less than the alternatives.

There were simply put, better places to use that 5.4M. Especially on a defense like this.

How much of that was Lowe or the EIG, I’m not sure.

41. Lord Bob says:

There was something in the air tonight. It felt just right.

42. jon says:

My boy Stortini is winning some fans methinks. ;)

If we can steal a win tomorrow night, things will be looking fine indeed.

43. Dennis says:

Rourke has certainly passed Roy on merit. I think we can all agree on that, right? Sure, the deal with his contract isn’t great but he’s not making enough, and we’re no longer poor enough, as if we ever were;), that it would kill the club to pay part of his freight if we waive him and someone picks him up.

I can’t see how that’s not a no-brainer.

As for the rest of the D, it really only becomes an issue once all of 36-44-23 are ready to go and that seems a ways away.

My thing with 44 is that he should only be used as a 5 or a 6 and then just ride him on the PP and on the PK. That looks like a huge waste of money but that’s over and done with now and you can’t throw good icetime after bad money by giving him prime EV min just because you’re paying him like a real player. Sure, the optics won’t look great but if you run your bench to win, then all of 5-24-25-77 have to receive more EV time than Souray. Now, the only thing left is what kind of arsehole act will Sheldon pull if you do this?

As for the forwards and tonight’s win, I missed the first two periods because we had a storm here that knocked the power out 10 minutes before the game started and then it came back just before the third period began. It was a super piss off because the Oilers played two pretty good periods on Fri night and I was thinking that if they won tonight without 83, it might be a springboard game. Plus, I’m a big Fernie guy and I was looking forward to welcoming him back, so to speak.

So, I’m missing this game, and me and RivQ are text messaging like two girls before the prom because I’m pestering him about the score and who’s playing well and he’s nice enough to be nice to me:) I get the signal back before the third period and in the first three shifts I see from 34, he gets the puck out on one and breaks up scoring chances on the other two. This instantly calms me. So, I’m reading all the stuff here, and though I thought the Oilers played a very sound third period, there’s also no doubt that these aren’t your slightly older brother’s Ducks so it’s not like we knocked off the ’77 Habs or anything. But, it sounds like Garon didn’t have to steal this one and, for me at least, that frames this win in a very positive manner.

The thing with Fernie is he instantly makes the line he plays on that much harder to score against and we need that something fierce. The fact we picked up sich a convincing win on the road, in the second half of a HAM where we’d won the opener, along with the fact that we did it without 83, well that’s the best I’ve felt about this team all season.

One last note about tonight. I was honestly gonna mention this today when I did a blurb over at Ty’s site but the first storm here last year was on Dec 4th and that night the Oilers shutout the Dys in Van. I haven’t checked but I’m pretty sure it was 4-0. So, I was gonna throw that out there tonight and of course the Oilers win tonight, on the road, 4-0:)

if these storms are somehow a harbinger of Oilers success, is it worth the shovelling, you ask? Well, not really, not at this time of year anyway. But for the folks who go back to the Cujo days, we had an extremely late spring storm on Apr 29th in ’97 on the night the Oilers knocked out Dal.

Now THAT was worth the shovelling:)

44. Mustafa Hirji says:

Oh please can he demand a trade to a warm, temperate climate! And then, please, can we send him to Burke for another five assets!

I’m deadly serious.

45. Showerhead says:

I seem to have missed an obvious question a while back…

What is wrong with Geoff Sanderson?

I seem to think he does a decent job of moving the puck away from our zone and towards the opposition’s zone… He doesn’t do a whole lot once he’s there, but he does a little. Is his contract out of whack? As someone who expected him to come in and fill a responsible 4th line duty I think he’s been just fine.

Showerhead: I think it was/is his back, which could mean 1 game or forever.

47. Julian says:

Hey, is Souray still married? Maybe his wife will hate Edmonton and demand he be traded….

48. PunjabiOil says:

What is wrong with Geoff Sanderson?

Nothing wrong with him, other than the fact he’s basically done as a hockey player. At training camp, he mentioned that ”he’s happy he signed a 2 year deal, otherwise he could have be sitting on the sidelines like guys like Amonte.”

He’s overpaid, and you simply do not re-sign him. Instead, this summer, I would like the Oilers to go after Dan Cleary, who is a UFA. This summer, I wanted one of Bonk/Gelinas/Johnson – who all got signed for reasonable money.

49. Dennis says:

SH, MacT mentioned something about facits when it came to 8′s back condition which is something I didn’t even bother to look up:) I just know that backs are tricky fuckers. I hurt mine four summers ago and I’ve had to since alter the kind of back exercises I do at the gym and trying to be careful aside, I’ve still had re-occurances about twice a year. Last year I went out to shovel and tried to do it quickly because GTown was about to play Pitt in a big East game and bam, it was out just like that. So, I think the Oilers are taking a wait and see approach when it comes to how long he’ll be out.

In terms of if he has a spot when he’s healthy and if so, for how long, I think it has a lot to do with 18′s status. 34′s back now so the vet quotient begins it’s slow ascent and last we heard, 18′s getting his cast off next Tues and if the bone’s healed, he’s two weeks away.

If that’s indeed the prognosis, and Stortini continues to get more of MacT’s love while Gagner doesn’t get sent to the juniors, would anyone else be surprised to see Sanderson on the trade market and/or waived?

50. uni says:

I just want to see the Oilers stop flirting and get that 3rd consecutive win already…and finally sucker Dennis back in, yet again, for another season of doubled anguish (with him more invested) =).

Nilsson is a guy that just has too much talent, and from his draft descriptions some fire, to be so invisible, or visible in a bad way. Two points, albeit somewhat weak, in two games. I just keep hoping for him to turn it around. I also keep hoping Mikhnov comes back next season to TC and rips the roof off the place (and continues to do so during the rest of the season).

51. Mustafa Hirji says:

Facets are the bits of bone that protrude up and down from the vertebra in one’s back and articulate with each other—effectively, they form the joints between the vertebra and allow one’s back to bend, etc.

Many, many things can go wrong with them and without knowing what the details are, it’s hard to say what’s really wrong. Honestly, though, I can’t think of many facet injuries that wouldn’t take one out for at least a couple of weeks.

52. HBomb says:

Score that night: 4-0

Score tonight: 4-0

Funny how that works.

53. RiversQ says:

RE: Stoll – I really don’t think he’s playing much better, he’s just getting some puck luck. He still chases the play too much, doesn’t create much offense and has been taking some pretty bad penalties.

He’s also picking up some pretty fortunate 2nd assists. That one on Horc’s goal on Friday was ridiculous – Stoll skates himself into a black hole on the LH boards; dumps it to Penner who pounds it 10 feet wide of the net; Horcoff ends up as Johnny on the spot as the puck comes off the backboards right into the circle and fires a rocket over the shoulder. That was a pretty lucky play.

I’m all about results, so I don’t want to rag on him too much, but I’m not sure if this is a turnaround anywhere but in the luck department.

At this point I think Stortini has earned an NHL job. On a good team he’s probably a PB guy, but at least he’s keeping the mistakes down. The only thing about him that is a liability is a couple of inexplicable icings per game and that’s pretty damn good on this roster.

Personally, I’d put Pisani on the 1st line as soon as he’s ready to go. Horcoff and Hemsky can pretty much do anything right now and putting a healthy Pisani or maybe even Moreau up there would allow them to hang with pretty much any line in the league.

I’d just like to see MacT get a little matchup flexibility again. Pisani will give them two lines that they don’t have to worry about much and Moreau’s return will give them a shot at three.

54. Bruce says:

Well said. What a first game for Fernando. 1 blocked shot, 2 shots on goal, 3 hits, and about four thousand heady plays. One favourite came early in the third when the two defencemen lost a guy in front, Pisani recognized the dnager man and took him out of the picture, intercepting the centring pass that on other nights would have been destined for the back of the net. Pisani knew enough to leave his assigned post where some of the young wingers would remain
    as if they were tied to a stick.

Pisani put in a solid 12:43 tonight, including 3:28 on the perfect PK unit. Upon his return the Oilers were instantly a better club.

Oilers seemed physically overmatched at times but the whole team hung in there, from the backup goalie (Garon, who just shut out the Stanley Cup champions in their barn), to the 10th defenceman (Rourke, who made the defensive gem of the game with a desperation block early in the second) to the 20th forward (Stortini, eh Lowetide, who with three minutes to play sold out and dove to block a shot so perfectly that the puck caromed all the way down the ice for icing. Yeah, that Stortini, always icing the puck, I know … but that play impressed me. As did his assist on a quick shot off a good burst to the net, nothing fancy but it worked, or the fact the big lug played 12:27 of mistake-free hockey. I think you’re right punjabi oil, he just gets it. It seems to me the more he plays the more he helps the team. And yes, looks are very deceiving.)

Bottom line: a fantastic team effort this weekend, top to bottom of the roster, hell of the depth chart. The Oilers haven’t had a three goal lead since Smytty left town, and they blow out the Stanley Cup champs twice in a row? Four 2-0 periods in a row? Given the depths we’ve been through since February, this is unfathomable. Maybe I’m getting the bends?

55. RiversQ says:

Bruce, I realize Stortini is your hill to die on, but let’s not go too far here just yet. That line is still getting pounded in terms of shots directed at net and yeah it looks that way too.

Given the lack of offense and the fact that line still gets outchanced and outscored more often than not, I think it’s pretty easy to understand why LT and others including myself remain unconvinced by a handful of games.

56. Bruce says:

Fair enough. At the very least all the hand-wringing about how Stortini is a joke and doesn’t belong within two leagues of the NHL has quieted down to a whisper. He’s played a bunch of solid games in a row, and those of you who expect the least from him should be the most surprised. As for me, he’s hardly “my hill to die on”, ha ha, but I have been saying all along that he isn’t as bad as some as you guys make out and I will stand by my words based on recent results.

As for lack of offence from that line, tonight’s winning goal was Torres from Stortini and Stoll, and I don’t think they got outscored given Anaheim didn’t score at all. Stortini played a season high 12:27 with 1 assist, +1, 1 shot (the assist), 1 hit, 2 blocked shots, and 0 penalties, 0 missed shots and 0 giveaways. And my point was (if you actually read it), when the guys at the bottom of your depth chart make contributions like that, your team is doing alright.

Fuck, we beat the Stanley Cup champs 5-1 and 4-0. Can’t you be a little bit happy?

//Fourth liners shouldn’t be making 1.5M. The Oilers need to get cheaper in that area, especially with Pisani (2.5) and Moreau (2M) not coming cheap.//

Chris Kunitz will be earning more than Shawn Horcoff next year. Pisani and Moreau (and Staios) are NOT overpaid.

It seems the only guy Edmonton fans want to pay was to overpay an over-rated Ryan Smyth.

58. pboy says:

One topic I can’t stop thinking about is what happens when the defencemen are all healthy again? With as solid as Rourke as been, I just can’t see sending this kid back down. Gilbert, Pitkanen, Staios and Souray aren’t going anywhere, so what happens with Rourke, Roy, Tarnstrom, Smid, Grebashkov? It’s a good problem to have and there must be some teams out there who are looking for solid NHL d-men? I keep thinking that Lowe could make a quantity + prospects deal for quality but I’m not sure with who? Any ideas……

59. Showerhead says:

Thanks all for clarification regarding Sanderson’s injury status. My real comment was regarding his on ice play as I seem to have been dazzled by his ability to skate and not noticed he’s worse than 1 ES goal against per 60 minutes, which among Oilers who have played more than 20 games, is only better than Gagner’s whopping -1.45. I know he’s babysitting a LITTLE bit but that’s just bad.

60. Doogie says:

I don’t know the context of MacT’s words, but I do know that in the context of the back, facets could be the sites of articulation (connection) between the ribs and the thoracic spine, or the sites of articulation for the vertebrae themselves.

61. Dennis says:

PBoy, I’ve really liked what Rourke’s done but we’re pretty close to having eight of the nine D healthy and he has to be on the bottom of the list in terms what they have to address first.

The guy’s put together a good first nine game segment though, so, like I said, I’ve got a feeling that the Oilers might have in Rourke what they want to have in Roy. Whomever pimps the idea that Rourke’s a good 7th dman, I think that’s something that just makes sense. He’s steady and doesn’t try anything fancy and by all accounts is just happy to be here and keeps his mouth shut. And I was a Scott Ferguson fan as well so I have a soft spot for these guys.

As for how it all shakes out, I suspect the Oilers will be looking to trade Tarnstrom first and foremost and probably Tarnstrom and Roy. That would take us down to a workable seven guys once Souray comes back and Greene’s a long ways off so that situation will take care of itself perhaps. There’s never been a situation yet where everyone’s been healthy and Lowe’s had to make a decision but it looks like it’s coming. Also, depending on how comfortable the Oilers are with AHL vets like Berry and Kemp, the Oilers might ask back for a serviceable vet D in one of the 23 or 36 trades, just to make sure they’re well stocked with bodies if another rash of injuries hit.

62. Master Lok says:

This getting wierd – just last week a number of longtime posters were making fun of Stortini on the checking line with Torres-Stoll and I mentioned that perhaps Mact seems something in Storts.

Now he’s a surefire NHL’er!

63. Ribs says:

In all fairness, Masterlok, we’ve seen a completely different approach from Stortini since he was placed on that line. No longer does he get a penalty per minute played and he has kept the hugging to a severe minimum in comparison.