Oilers at Hawks, G37/07-08

This is Darryl Sutter. He was a beauty player. He was drafted 179th overall and his playing weight was listed at 163 to 175 depending on what publication you were looking at but suffice to say he lost his career because he played the game like he was 240 every shift.

He was a good player.

The Blackhawks have been horrible for a generation now so there aren’t many of us left who remember well the 70s and early 90s teams (I’m stretching the truth here) who were so much fun to watch.

I think it’s good for the Hawks to be a strong team and based on recent drafts they should be soon. It’s a lesson for NHL GM’s: if you want to get really, really good then you need to finish near the bottom for three or four years and draft top 5.

And don’t trade your picks.

It also helps to grab a useful player 179th overall once a decade.

28 Responses to "Oilers at Hawks, G37/07-08"

1. Ribs says:

Alright! Only 2 or 3 more years then!

2. HBomb says:

This Jonathan Toews guy is good. Did anyone notice that last night, in Ottawa, he was wearing one of the “A”‘s for the Hawks?

He’s going to be this generations’ answer to Yzerman/Sakic, right down to the number 19 on his back. Finally an excuse to buy myself a Blackhawks jersey for my collection of uniforms…..seriously, is there a better logo in hockey?

3. uni says:

Alright! Only 2 or 3 more years then!

You forgot Lowetide’s qualifier, and don’t trade your picks. So 3 or 4 years to go.

4. Ribs says:

Uni – I know Gagner was 6th overall but I was counting him in there to go along with the poor season last year.

5. grease trap says:

Blackhawksploitation

Chicago anthem singer sounds like that guy in the Bugs Bunny skit where “Leopold” is the conductor.

Just saying.

7. uni says:

Ah, Gagner would count. Only 2 or 3 then, YAY!

Also I fire up Yahoo Sports ticker only to see that 2 defencemen have traded shorthanded goals. Must be a fun game I’m missing haha.

There’s a thread at HF about some deal that dummy Hockeybuzz has up. It involves Stoll, Staios and Gagner for a “major” player from the SE.

Would you do that deal for Ovechkin? If you could sign him to a long, long term deal?

Would you?

9. HBomb says:

Would you?

Sure would. But Washington wouldn’t.

Public service announcement: ignore Eklund’s site. It’s crap. End of story.

Apparently Dan Tencer finally figured that out too….

No, no, Eklund knows his stuff.

:-)

11. HBomb says:

Careful with the sarcasm Lowetide. :)

Pardon my French, but fucking Lapointe sticks out a knee on Hemsky and it has me steamed.

I expect two things:

- Some sort of answer in the 3rd period from the Oilers, be it someone squaring up with Lapointe or Kane getting run hard into the end boards.

- A suspension of at least 2 games.

I think there’s a higher probability of the latter. This “team toughness” stuff is embarassing. Seriously.

HBomb: When was the last time a MacT team responded? Lapointe and Stortini just had a quick fight but it’s already 3-2.

Growing pains. As for the Hemsky injury, Rod always makes things sound like death. If Hemsky IS injured badly then it’s a death knell to an already miserable season.

13. honkey says:

Our HUG-machine stepped up but this game has gone from good to bad to worse.
    And why can’t our defenseman play the body on Kane and Toews.

14. HBomb says:

And Kevin Lowe will have no one to blame but himself.

Some don’t agree with the idea of wasting a roster spot on a goon, but if you’re going to do it, at least get a guy who can strike fear into the opposition, not a guy like Stortini who, on top of flat-out not being able to skate, wouldn’t scare an 8-year old.

15. mc79hockey says:

Apparently Dan Tencer finally figured that out too….

I’m not so sure he has, notwithstanding the fact that he left. He mentioned he’d go back if they could resolve some issues. I don’t know how he could say that if the issue was Eklund reporting nonsense – that ain’t gonna change.

By the way, these PPV clips where they show various Oiler families wishing you a Merry Christmas, giving us a chance to check out their wives, are top notch. Apparently the hockey wife factory only has one setting: “blonde”.

16. mc79hockey says:

And with that 3-2 loss, we head into the Christmas break, with the Oilers sitting with the second worst goal differential in the league and the fifth worst record in the NHL. Merry Christmas everyone!

17. HBomb says:

Christ, so even with that dismal fifth-worst record, we’re actually in a position where the Oilers are slightly AHEAD of where they should be?

Greene’s still 2 months away, Torres is at least a month out, I will be shocked if Moreau returns anytime soon (seriously, you just know the next setback is just around the corner) and now Hemsky is down for God-knows-how-long. So it doesn’t look to get any better.

Just not enough experience in this lineup.

If only we’d known.

19. HBomb says:

If only we’d known.

Well, if we had known, Penner wouldn’t be here, and I can’t say I’m upset with how he’s progressing.

That being said, they COULD have kept Smyth, Smith and Hejda, yet they CHOSE to keep an oft-injured Moreau, “steady” (as in steady decline) Steve Staios, and signed Sheldon Souray.

I hate the way this team makes decisions. Seriously. Nice pieces, but too many “WTF” moves in the past 18 months.

Last time he talked about the team, Lowe said they would wait until the team got healthy before evaluating.

I think at some point he’s going to slip right by evaluation and go straight to sell off.

21. HBomb says:

I don’t mind if they sell off the Sandersons, Reasoners and Tarnstroms. Heck, I’d even put out the feelers and see what the Sourays, Staioses and Moreaus can fetch.

But I hope they’re still out looking for a veteran impact forward that can help this team for the next five years.

Two names come to mind: Marian Hossa and Brad Richards.

22. Pat H says:

re: team toughness

I know it was fashionable for a time to rip into Stortini, but I have to say that I’m proud of the kid the past couple of games. He’s still grossly outmatched at times, and he’s clearly a 2nd or 3rd tier tough guy, but he’s done ok for himself in the last two fights he had. And at least he actually made Lapointe answer the bell. That in itself is something we haven’t seen from our team all year.

All that said, Lowe and/or Mact are deluding themselves if they think that Stortini and/or the return of Moreau make this team ‘tough’ by any stretch.

23. Slipper says:

Who does Greene replace when he comes back healthy, Tarnstom or Smid? Is he any better of a player than either of those two?

Seriously. I can’t remember.

24. Andy Grabia says:

As for the Hemsky injury, Rod always makes things sound like death.

I watched the game. It definitely should have been five and a game. And it deserves suspension. I don’t know how the ref could make the call for tripping, but not the major. As for Stortini/Lapointe, there were lots of Christmas hugs.

25. Ribs says:

Greene can stay hurt if what I said matters…

Losing a game like this is huge. The players might not think that way and possibly the coaches didn’t think that way, but losing a game like this could make major differences at the end of the year. I didn’t catch this one but the Oilers had a PP at the end of a one-goal game and didn’t come out with at least a tie. That hurts the season. A learning experience is all I can really hope for here.

I’ve been trying to get MacT’s post-game audio to work on the oilers’ site. Maybe he melted the microphone. :-)

27. Master Lok says:

No guarantee however. Atlanta and Florida still remains crap. And Detroit is still on top despite not having a top 5 pick in over a decade.

28. adam brown says:

look this is the “diet” i told you about you should really enter the site :) bye enter the site