Oilers at Jackets, G40/07-08

This is Bob Baun. He was a quality defenseman for a long time in the NHL with Toronto, Oakland and Detroit. The Oilers could use Bob Baun today in Columbus. Sure he’s 71 but he knows the backdoor play and I wouldn’t put it past him to level someone with a hipcheck somewhere along the way.

I’m watching the Canadian kids at the World Junior’s this morning and remain impressed with Luke Schenn. Denmark isn’t the hardest team to play well against, but I love watching the kid defend. Strong, moves well straight ahead and laterally, very mobile. And big. 6-3, 210. Oilers should draft him in the summer.

Today at 4PM (which is a perfect start time for a beer drinker btw) the Oilers will play Columbus. I’m kind of torn on this game. As an Oilers fan a win would feel great, maybe it would be a “New Year’s” turning point for the team.

However, as an Oilers fan tired of enduring this team an 11-1 Columbus win might be enough to shake the management from their complacency and give this drowning team some help.

Seriously.

49 Responses to "Oilers at Jackets, G40/07-08"

1. breakerdog says:

Great Blog LT

I am actually related to Bob Baun. Tales of his down on one knee, face first shot blocking and toughness are family legend.

As much as Schenn has been impressive, I have been unimpressed with Doughty. He seems to be a turn over waiting to happen.

11-1 for the jackets or the oil won’t matter. the management isn’t going anywhere until the sale is complete.

breakerdog: Very cool. Baun is one of the players in NHL history I find fascinating. His being exposed in the 1967 expansion draft was a joke and imo a reaction by Imlach to Baun’s involvement with the NHLPA’s beginning.

Have you read his book? It’s very good.

3. Black Dog says:

When did the Capitals change their name? ;)

Happy New Year LT. Wife is working today and tomorrow so easy on the beer for me. After a few I start thinking about selling the kids – well, maybe not.

With Pitkanen out and Pisani on the limp 11-1 is a possibility. But never a discouraging word about M. Lowe. Its the injuries.

Fact that this team is so thin on actual NHLers never seems to enter the equation.

4. CrazyCoach says:

I have been out of the loop for a week or so due to turkey and a dreadful dialup connection, but judging by the comments on here not much has changed.

I was hoping the coming new year would have brought more clarity to the EIG and Loew & Co. would be running to Phoneix for the next cushy job.

//I’ll say this: if I have to endure another 40 games of this and then read a Journal article about Kevin Lowe wondering “is it me?” then this blog is going to be about the Washington Nationals come August.//

Sausage is being made. Considering the quality of the players that have been added to the roster (Penner, Gagner, Cogliano, Gilbert, Pitkanen, and Garon), I see know need to slash my wrists.

6. Gilmore Tuttle says:

As an Ohio Oiler fan who already went through the embarassment of the loss to Pittsburgh (many of my friends are devout Pens fans), I’m hoping for a win tonight…I’d be in Columbus myself tonight but my money is headed to Edmonton this weekend for my first trip to Alberta.

I say, Lowetide, do you really think a massive loss to the Jackets will wake up this organization and get the ball rolling on improving this hockey club? I’m still skeptical as to Kevin’s propensity to wait until close to the deadline to make a deal.

7. Dennis says:

I think Lain’s, as Vic would say, taking a bit of a piss here. He’s old and smart enough to know that a big loss won’t do anything to shake Lowe from his delusions og grandeur.

I’m in the midst of a bad cold and we’re having the worst Dec weatherwise since the unspeakable year of ’00-01 and all the shovelling’s killing me. That being said, I’ll be, as we say in NF, “getting on the beer” tomorrow night with all my buddies once we do the family suppers and fufil the GF and wives obligations.

So, no beer for me tonight and not much peach either with Grebs in and Pitkanen out.

8. Vic Ferrari says:

If Peca and Malhotra are both out for this one then I like the Oiler’s chances though.

Bookies don’t feel the same though, CBJ -160 favourites or better. Ouch!

The last time the Oilers played in Ohio was last February, a bit before the deadline, EDM were -130 favourites on the road, and that Oiler team wasn’t any hell. Granted CBJ have improved with the additions of Hejda and Peca, and with Nash and Zherdev doing more to help them win.

The Oilers have some winning streaks in them yet LT, and even more losing streaks I suspect. There aren’t any easy answers here, this is what it appears to be, a bad hockey team. Too much needs fixing for a couple of trades to make a difference. Staying the course over the next few years looks like the best thing to do at this point.

9. Bruce says:

Easy to see who’s been driving the bus on this Oiler team. Over the past 5 games Shawn Horcoff has 0 points and the Oilers have 0 wins. Horc’s been even in every one of those games so he’s not hurting the club, but it seems he needs to put points on the board to give this team a chance. Last time he scored was the 1-0 goal very late against Vancouver, and then when that wasn’t enough, sniped the winner in the subsequent shootout. Next game Turco stoned him in the skills contest and he hasn’t had a sniff since. Of course, the absence of Hemsky for the last 2.5 games clearly hasn’t helped.

Say Dennis, you must be happy with the 7:30 NST start time for this one! Happy New Year to you, Lain, and all the regulars.

10. Gilmore Tuttle says:

Vic,

I was at that last Oiler-Blue Jacket game…and the difference between the Columbus club between now and then is pretty much night and day. They’re deeper and are more receptive to Hitchcock’s coaching. Having 6-shutout Pascal Leclaire doesn’t hurt, either.

I’ll be at their next tilt on March 7th in my state’s capital. I sincerely hope at that time we’re somehow in playoff contention, but I seriously doubt it. In fact, I’d bet we’re well out of it and in “sell” mode well before that time.

11. Dennis says:

Bruce, yeah, it’s nice to have an early start for a change. Doesn’t matter much to me at this time of year though:) BTW, nice to see you haven’t forgotten your roots, ie your knowledge of NST:)

Tuttle: Last time Oilers were in CBJ, that’s where Jacques fought Tolleffsen, right?

12. Gilmore Tuttle says:

Dennis,

I want to say yes…pretty sure that tilt went down. I have a more vivid memory of Thoresen scrapping and of Roy throwing with Shelley after his vicious elbow to T. Gilbert’s head.

I was sitting with a buddy of mine in the last row of the arena, almost at dead centre ice and we could see Jody eyeing up Gilbert well before he laid him out. Other than that unfortunate happening it was a very spirited game.

A pretty good road period, kind of hurts to see Dan Hejda looking all effective and everything.

Ray Ferraro rambled on about the poor Oilers and having too many contracts to sign Hejda. How do those contracts work anyway? Does the NHL just send you a bunch or are these players signed by their respective teams?

I happen to know the last contract signed is Gagner because the team made a big deal about saving one last slot. So we’re looking at Gagner in exchange for Dan the Man and as much as I believe Gagner is going to be an outstanding player that makes no sense at all when you’ve got a 38-year old goalie and 10M spent on two free agents.

14. Dennis says:

First period thoughts:

- When you see Souray not finding twine on shots like those, you wonder just how far off last year’s goal pace he’ll fall. It seems like a lot of things are evening up.

- Terrible rebound on the CBJ goal. No need of a rebound there. Roli’s done and I was very sad to see him getting the second start in a row.

- Edm held the territorial edge, no doubt about it. If you keep leaning on the Dman in that manner, they’ll eventually let up a little and then we should score.

- 89′s holding back 27-10 and I’d be tempted to put 51 in that role. He’s doing good work with 19-16.

- Ferraro did the Oilers bidding when he talked about how they didn’t have enough money to sign bring back Hejda even though they really wanted him. Wow, if we didn’t have the internet we wouldn’t know that Hejda was making the bankbreaking sum of 1.1 mill. Or that they could’ve signed him instead of Tarnstrom.

- Speaking of Hejda, you usually get stories on ex Oilers the first time the teams met so considering no one’s spoken about why he wasn’t brought back, I’d imagine Lowe told everyone to keep their yaps shut.

15. Dennis says:

One last thing, LT:

- Our boy Pouliot’s starting to heat up. Sometimes, I think he’s the only thing keeping us together:D

16. Slipper says:

Isn’t it the two way contracts that are killing Edmonton, though? They count toward the 50 maximum. You can’t fault the NHL roster player decisions as much as the hanging on to every longshot playing in the minor leagues at the moment.

Hejda was a UFA. MacT didn’t play him for half the year, until he had no choice because injuries. Why do people keep on saying that Hejda wanted anything to do with the Oilers?

18. PunjabiOil says:

Another terrible rebound by Roloson. Just terrible. I’d look into whether Tampa wants to do a Roloson for Denis swap. I thought Gilbert made a weak decision leading up to that goal however.

Penner made a nice inside move on that PP.

19. Black Dog says:

Moreo, Moroo, Moro, however you pronounce that guy’s name – he is certainly having an impact. On the scoresheet – who would have thought?

True enough about MacT taking time to see the light on Dan Hejda, godot, but I think all things considered if the Oilers would have offered him the same as the BJs he would have taken it. That was a really nice pickup by Lowe and then they botched it.

20. PunjabiOil says:

Another instance of the Edmonton media making shit up.

Nahh. I think he’s just not a sexy player [on the ice]. He doesn’t score, or even get that odd assist. He’s a pure defensive defenceman, and guys like him [see Mike Eaton] while doing a great job keeping the GA down, don’t get the fame or the dollars during contract time.

Of course that theory is killed considering not a peep from the Edmonton media RE: Sykora. Usually, to get some more information, you have to read the Canadian Press articles or an out of town newspaper.

21. Tyler says:

I like Dan Hejda as much as the next guy but man, that was a bizarre looking play right there.

22. Tyler says:

Is Souray just killing anyone else with all of the missed shots? I mean this is just ridiculous. Loubardias keeps going off too, every time that he takes a shot, which I find more than a little aggravating.

This has been a fun game to watch so far. Lots of chances because there’s mistakes. Hitchcock must be a laugh riot between periods like these.

24. Dennis says:

Is Lowe that prospect crazy that he’d let a tough min bird in the hand walk, ie Hejda, just because a kid like Grebs might be good enough not to turn your stomach in three years? Man oh fucking man, the direction of this team is well worth questioning.

BTW, has anyone else noticed the prevailing theme in the dailies regarding Buffalo’s staging of an outdoor game? Basically, it’s that Buffalo should fuck off and the league in general because no one will ever do it as good as the Oilers did.

On to the second period:

- Roli’s done. Sure, he might have a good game or three in a row but I doubt he can do anything more. He’s at that stage where he can still make the huge save but he’ll turn nothing into something and that’s exactly what he did on the 2-2 goal.

- I thought Gagner made a helluva stupid play on the SHGA and just as one of my watchpoints for the ’07 season was just how well Stoll would do given he was to be given soft min, one of my deals for ’09 will be to see what kind of shape Gagner’s in when he comes to camp and how quick of a study he is. The Oilers are killing their goal differential by sticking with this kid and he owes them bigtime.

- Yes, Souray’s “blowing” goal chances which means it’s probably all turning around on him. That doesn’t bode well in terms of bang per buck for the Oilers, of course. Then again he’s from Alberta so that’s a bonus!!!

- It’s easy to see why Lowe could go ga-ga over 27 because he can do things that no Oiler outside of Smyth has done in the last 12 years. 94 got around guys by being smart and slippery and Penner does it by pure strenght.

- I think the Oilers lose this one 3-2 or 4-3. Roli’s most likely to shag them with another eyebrow raiser.

- Whereas 34 was part of the last bit of secondary scoring the Oilers had, ie Fernie’s kids, now he’s part of the next line that’s doing it as well.

Dennis: Yeah, Pouliot is putting up some points this week. Bleeding at EVs though, it looks like Schremp might be on his line.

Jacques may be trying for -50 by season’s end, he is -13 in 29gp which works out to just shy of -40 on the year.

btw, Pouliot has 15 shots on goal in his last 3 games.

26. mc79hockey says:

Penner is a pretty interesting cat. There are still a million reasons why I think that signing him was stupid but he’s fun to watch as a hockey player. His work down low reminds me of Laraque’s best days in some ways, which I mean as a compliment – Georges was always fun to watch carrying the puck for 15 seconds with three guys on his back down low.

27. mc79hockey says:

I have to say, I’d much rather see 12 with 10-27 than 89. Dennis is right – 89 is just killing them at the moment. 89 can get a challenge out of playing fourth line minutes; it seems to make a lot more sense to me to run 12 with the big guys because he’s a lot closer to being able to keep up.

28. PunjabiOil says:

Nah, I don’t think Hedja had anything to do with Gagner.

Keep in mind JAN [not DAN] signed with Columbus quickly in July. Up until the Superseries at the end of August, I don’t think anyone anticipated Gagner making the roster [all indications were that he'd return to junior thus not counting as one of the 50].

I’d argue it’s Mathieu Roy [who is on a one way contract] next year the key reason why Hedja isn’t an Oiler. Of course signing Tarnstrom, Souray, and Grebeshkov play a role. The Oilers had too many guys on the back-end with one way contracts. As Kevin Lowe described the situation, ”Holy Mackerel, we got a lot of defenceman”

29. Bill Needle says:

Yeah, the rookies are struggling, but the Oilers vets aren’t much better. Beauty penalty by Moreau leads to the game winner pinball special.

30. mc79hockey says:

Keep in mind JAN [not DAN] signed with Columbus quickly in July.

Thanks for the headsup. I can’t believe that fellows such as Dennis and myself who follow this team so closely keep making that mistake. ;)

31. Dennis says:

I’m a Moreau guy but the fucker does take some stupid penalties and that was one of his worst. It’s something that will always be a part of his game and it hurts more then ever now considering we’ve already got to worry about kids losing their man or taking dumb penalties themselves.

6 regulation wins in the first 40 games of the season and yet the villagers still couldn’t care to gather outside of Lowe’s house.

The Oilers and just about everyone who covers them are some hateful motherfuckers right about now.

32. Dennis says:

I’m watching the Leclaire interview right now on Sportsnet and the guy likes like a horse.

Now, here’s the question: why is that some people look like horses but there aren’t any horses that look like people?

33. Bank Shot says:

I think the hockey gods are trying to make it up to Moreau for missing 42,893 consecutive games.

3 points in 2 games. Each of them uglier then the next.

The Oilers need some ritalin. They just can’t focus. Between Horcoff coughing it up in his own zone, Smid not clearing the redline, Souray passing it to the net, and Moreau tripping away their chances it is no surprise they came out with zero points. Just not sharp.

I found it funny that ole Squeaky Voice was complaining about the Oilers not getting the bounces for the last couple of weeks when both of the Oilers goals tonight were pure fluke.

34. ClaytonMagnet says:

The really really scary thing is that this team is worse than their record. I find it hard to watch anymore. Dead last in a lot of team statistics.

Rod Phillips tonight in the first period- “…the puck back to Grebeshkov; [deadpan] who knows what he’ll do with it…?”

35. Muller says:

I’m tired of watching the Oil lose. We only have six regulation wins.

36. PunjabiOil says:

Lowe hasn’t had to answer the masses at all since pre-season. I mean, sure there was the Oilers Live segment on the official website, but that was more of an informal session. Sure he piped up a few times during the intermissions of a few hockey games, but more of it was to generate interest in the Cash is King lottery. The fans and media are behind his back 110%, but come the day he gets fired by Katz, the masses will, as Smyth2Hemsky puts it, “Bash him til no end”

This is a sad fucking hockey club. When Moreau took that customary ”1 dumb penalty” per game, I switched the channel to the football game on TSN. I absolutely knew it that Columbus was going to score.

And they did.

I was hoping the numbers guys were wrong in their assessments.

They weren’t.

This is simply put, a bad hockey club.

Happy new years!

37. Slipper says:

I won’t even fault the Grebeshkov contract. If I’m scrutinizing the Oil’s current 50 contract ceiling, I’m looking at the McDonald, Rohlfs, Paukovich, Almtorp, Bodie, Fisher, Johansson, Sestito, and Kemp contracts. If any of those guys take regular shifts in the bigs than I’ll start doing regular lines of cat litter.

The Oilers hang on to their garbage far too long. It’s begun to stink up the house, and someone should have taken it out off the porch eons ago.

38. PunjabiOil says:

So another question – why did Roloson get the 2nd straight start? Garon is at the point where he’s providing league average goaltending – unless the Oilers are trying to showcase Roloson for trade [though with performances like tonight, he's certainly not doing the Oilers any favour], what’s the purpose?

My, what a terrible, terrible contract that is looking. People compare his contract to Gerber, but at least with Gerber, he wasn’t a 37 year old goaltender.

Sanderson a HS again as in many days. With Hemsky out, and Thorosen still doing of substance offensively. And Stortini – MacT’s love child. Toby Peterson all over again.

39. PunjabiOil says:

I won’t even fault the Grebeshkov contract.

I don’t think there’s anything to fault there. Grebeshkov is still young, and he’s keeping the GA down when he’s been on the ice.

Meanwhile, in Oil Country, Bobby Smid is getting a free pass.

40. Gord says:

*********

Grebeshkov is one of the few players I still enjoy watching – he is always looking to score.

The problem is that he is not getting enough ice time with offensive players – he is continually scooting toward the net waiting for the pass; he keeps turning back because none of his team mates get him the puck…

And on a team that can not score goals – this lack of “on ice vision” is just stupid….

41. PunjabiOil says:

By the way, did anyone catch MacT elbow the glass in frustration after the empty net goal?

Post game – he called out the PP for not ”stepping it up”

42. PunjabiOil says:

Before I head out, this article pretty much confirms the sad state of the MSM in Edmonton.

43. HBomb says:

Ooooh, I’ll do you one better Dennis!

How about Hejda at a premium price of 1.5 million on a three year deal (to get it done and such) instead of the monster contract they gave Souray? That leaves you 3.9 million, which gets you all of Mike Johnson, Martin Gelinas AND Josef Vasicek for this year on one year deals, plus it’s money for future years that can be put towards, oh, I don’t know, extending Gilbert and Pitkanen perhaps?

I don’t mind how Souray has played (even though I’m generally against 5.4 million dollars for 2nd set defensemen with PP-inflated counting numbers), but if that contract ends up meaning they have to deal Pitkanen because they can’t fit him in at 4.5-5 million per season, I’ll go as far as to say that’s a bigger fuckup than handing a top-five pick to that fat arrogant bastard in Orange County in order to facilitate getting Penner. WAY bigger.

Beyond that, having Staios/Hejda as a tough minutes pairing with Gilbert/Pitkanen as the “top” set and Tarnstrom babysitting Smid/Greene/Grebeshkov on the 3rd set makes a hellofa lot more sense than having Souray in the lineup, methinks. And not only that, it’s way cheaper in terms of dollars!

Right now, I do not understand what the fuck Lowe is thinking.

44. Bruce says:

Good eye, Bank Shot, I spotted all four of those little slip-ups and was making similar comments about lack of focus. The Souray pass off the net was ridiculous, he’s in the corner, his partner’s behind the net, he’s got about an eight foot window to pass it into and can even use the boards. Instead … whooops, have a scoring chance. Then there was another play later in the third where Souray snowshoed into the corner after a puck he was closest to and didn’t get there in time to even touch the BJ who did get it. He looked exactly like that guy at the community league rink who’s nearing the end of a 17-minute shift after blowing his wad with three rushes in the first 40 seconds. Dennis called Sheldon “flat out fucking slow” and even that is a barely-adequate description for this escargot on ice. Slow, and careless. Oh, and shoots high and wide and around boards and out of the zone with 30 seconds to go, one goal deficit. Isn’t that when the big money guys need to make a fucking play?

A couple of small good signs from the whipping boys: an excellent defensive play by Smid to bail out Horc’s cough, a very nifty bit of walking the blueline backwards at speed by Grebeshkov that left his man flailing at air (37 looked like Nik Lidstrom for those 1.5 seconds), and a strong shift by Stortini (his only shift of the third) grinding the boards and protecting the puck in the offensive zone instead of running around in the defensive like the rest of the Oil did for at least 15 of the final 20 minutes.

Yeah, it’s probably true that Oiler have had their share of bad bounces of late, but you only remember bad bounces when you lose. Which lately is every fucking goddamned game.

Bottom line: Oil have lost 6 in a row, albeit only 4 losses and 2 “losses”. In the first two periods of those six games the cumulative score has been Oilers 11, Other Guys 8, and the Oil have been ahead or tied after 40 minutes in all 6 games. In the third periods, it has been Oilers 0, Other Guys 9. Overtime: 0-1. Shootout: 0-1. That’s eleven-cob with the game on the line, and that is fucking disgraceful.

45. RiversQ says:

Boy, I hate games like that because it really shows you how mediocre the Oilers are at this point. I remember telling Dennis after the first game vs. Phoenix that the game looked like the Toilet Bowl and this one was right with it.

I don’t know if Malhotra and Peca make a big difference or not, but that was a awfully mediocre team out there and Leclaire was a total shit show. He matched Roloson rebound for rebound and the Staios goal was just laughable.

Moreau’s penalty was really bad and makes you wonder how this guy’s captain when he does the same immature shit he was doing when Christian Laflamme was still here.

I’m afraid Vic’s probably right here. There’s no fixing this mess. The Oilers just need to take their lumps and come back next year with a older and wiser group that could be a legit 10th-12th place team. Maybe they’ll be playoff ready come 2009-10.

I’m really enjoying godot10′s comments though. All bets are off when this guy finally comes to his senses.

46. Dennis says:

Christian Laflamme? Wow. What made you think of that one? My favorite Laflamme story is how after the Oilers dealt him to the Habs, CBC caught up with him in the rafters of Rexall catching a playoff game later that season once the Habs didn’t make it and the Oilers did. They asked him what he was doing here and he basically said he had to go Somewhere to watch a playoff game.

Let’s just say I got a lot of mileage out of that one with my Habs buddies.

I think the most telling thing about what the brass expects from this club is when you read MacT saying he was pretty happy with everything other than the result. So, I’m thinking you can’t be that happy because you should’ve at least outchanced them but then I’m brought back to reality by the fact this team just isn’t that good.

Of course that’s no surprise to anyone that knows we have six regulation wins in 40 games but still.

I just wonder what Lowe has done to my hockey club and I’m inclined to agree that 2010 is the next time we can have any legit hope of seeing playoff action.

So, Lowe’s once again gone very young and he gets the press to keep mentioning that so when Joe Sixpack reads his paper, he drives to work thinking that in two years time when the kids mature, we’ll be good again, dammit!! Of course what the scribes won’t write is that Lowe’s rebuilding on the league’s seventh highest payroll and that those two approaches usually don’t go together.

Of course, it would be all that much easier to swallow if some of the contracts that were bloating us this year weren’t also on sked to bloat us in years following as well.

I don’t think people really grasp how hopeless the next 1.5 years are gonna be or else they’d just stop watching.

47. Black Dog says:

Getting there Dennis.

48. RiversQ says:

I used Laflamme because he got traded here with Moreau, Cleary and Kilger for Bobo and I believe Laflamme was the first one to go.

49. Dennis says:

I figured that was the case, Cam, but I was just checking;)