Schremptastic

Rob Schremp started tonight just outside the top 10 in the AHL scoring race. After popping 2 goals and adding an assist, he sits tied (with Toby Petersen) for 5th.

Who was the last Oilers player to win the AHL scoring championship? Peter White?

25 Responses to "Schremptastic"

1. Black Dog says:

Tied with Toby Peterson – hah!

With Gagner staying and Nilsson on a six game scoring streak (can that be right?) he’s got no spot right now though.

Still he seems to be making some noise. Good for him.

2. PunjabiOil says:

Good on him. Maybe BBO was on to something after all.

3. uni says:

I’d rather Schremp get a near full season in the A, learn what to do in his own zone, and come back hungry next season to camp.

4. Mustafa Hirji says:

Shaun Van Allen won the scoring race a few years before White too, so we’ve had a few AHL scoring race wins in recent history.

5. PunjabiOil says:

Dammit, Lupul has 3G, 3A, 6 points tonight.

//Dammit, Lupul has 3G, 3A, 6 points tonight.//

Who the f$%# cares? He would have never done it here. We got Pitkanen for him.

7. PunjabiOil says:

Eventually, why not? There are an abundance of setup men on this team.

He had a poor year last year, but I don’t think anyone doubted the fact he’d bounce back, at least to some extent.

That being said, I was a fan of the trade. Good defenceman are more difficult to find, and Lupul seems more of a complimentary rather than top player.

Regarding Schremp, he’s got 18 points in the past 12 games, but he’s only even in the +/- field. Something to ponder.

8. danny says:

I’m guessing Sarno was our most recent AHL prolific scorer. Schremp… Sarno… You were saying? ;)

Unlucky period for the Oil. Couple posts, bad pen calls, and Blues score on first shot of the game.

I’m scared for whats to come.

9. jon says:

Lupul was also on an 11 game streak with only 2 points and -1 immediately prior to this. With games like this, it just makes it more evident that the guy doesn’t put the effort in for long stretches of time. He’s got the ability to be a dominant offensive player in the right environment, just not the will to play to that ability at all times.

10. Ribs says:

Yea, remember when Lupul scored 4 goals in that playoff game…. What a joker that guy is.

11. Ribs says:

…Both of Schremp’s goals and his helper were at even strength….for the haters out there.

12. RiversQ says:

PunjabiOil said…
    Good on him. Maybe BBO was on to something after all.

I wouldn’t go adding “savant” to his title just yet…

lol. How many points would Schremp need to put up in order to be legit “trade bait” while still in the minors?

Is that even possible?

14. Dennis says:

Could we trade Smid plus Schremp to the Preds for one of their young dmen?

15. Dennis says:

Also, I guess we could send down 46, bench 13 and slide in RS somewhere along the way.

13′s really getting nothing done right now and it’s the first time I’ve seen him lulling.

I’m not saying a Schremp-Reasoner-Brodz line would be any better but 13-19-51 really isn’t working.

16. Iffy says:

Hey LT – For what seems like years now, I’ve been logging on and waiting for your Bill Laing (1974-76) post. His son is getting a few games with the Caps these days. I know you aren’t here for requests, but I’d really enjoy an old photo!

17. PunjabiOil says:

Yeah Cogliano has been struggling recently. -5 in the past 5 games. Hey, he’s a young player – that’s expected.

18. pboy says:

Tough to be effective out there when your ass is being stapled to the bench though. Earlier in the year Cogs was being rotated through a couple of lines each game and getting some consistent PK time, now he is on the 4th line and not seeing any special team’s minutes. I realize this kid doesn’t have the upside of a Stortini or a Grebashkov but they might want to put in a little more effort into finding some icetime for him.

19. Vic Ferrari says:

Well, Sarno didn’t break a point per game in the AHL until he was about 24 or 25. He went 65 points in 79 games at the age of 21, the league was just a shade higher scoring then, though there were probably more veteran defenders in the AHL at the time as well.

Van Allen was 23 through 25 when he posted big numbers in the AHL, and it was a much higher scoring league then.

Good results beat the heck out of poor ones. Still, the plus/minus isn’t any hell for somebody scoring that much. And I’m sure he has lots to work on in Springfield. I can’t imagine that they’d be in a hurry to call him up.

20. Oilman says:

I’d imagine he’ll be in line for the next Injury call….and that’s likely a When, not an If.

21. Dennis says:

I’m not damning 13, mind you, I’m just saying that he’s been blipping since they put him on with 19-51. Some guys just can’t play together no matter what. Fuck, two springs ago MacT gave the soft min keys to the 16-83 tandem, this was back when Stoll was useful;), and they hardly got a thing done at EV. So, not everyone can play together and the idea of linemate chemistry has always intrigued me.

I was just thinking out loud about where they could slot in RS. Of course, if 13 had gotten the job of playing with 89-34, maybe he’s the one who’s on a little point streak. But in this case 13′s apparent versatility is hurting him because while a guy like 12 will only be played with talented linemates and/or in soft min situations, macT probably looks at 13 and figures he could slip in with 19-51 and take care of some assignements if need be. That trust will benefit him in the long run but early on, both 12 and 89 had their shots to mesh with 10-83 while that opp was never presented to 13.

22. Steve says:

They were also in the AHL, for the fanboys out there.

(That’s not so much directed at you, Ribs, as at the guys who are pretty sure Schremp would be scoring thirty in the NHL if MacTavish didn’t hate him for no reason.)

23. DBO says:

With fleury out for up to 2 months does anyone think they might take Roloson for a pick/prospect? How about Torres and Roloson for something.

24. PunjabiOil says:

Lets hope so.

25. Steve says:

That would be great for me – one of my fantasy teams just picked up Garon to replace Fleury, and you have to imagine Roloson to the Penguin would increase his playing time something fierce.