Teenage Wasteland?

When your team has had exactly one half-dozen picks in the top 6 in their entire history, you’d like to think they all went to the HOF. They didn’t.

When two of those picks were Jason Bonsignore and Steve Kelly, you’d like to think the hockey Gods owe you one.

When the highest of those top-6 picks(Bonsignore) began his NHL career as a teenager and flamed out in historic fashion, you can be forgiven for fretting over the current teenager.

Sam Gagner looks like he has a terrific future. According to Gabriel Desjardins, history is on our side.

9 Responses to "Teenage Wasteland?"

1. ClaytonMagnet says:

Desjardins is the Neo of the hockey world. He doesn’t see The Hockey, he sees the binary code that makes up The Hockey.

That, and he must not sleep.

Oh, and ya, Gagner will probably be pretty good.

2. IceDragoon says:

Good day.

So little time to comment these days…
    I’m an elf, you know.

Lain, I’ve said it before, and I’m sure I’ll say it again… The smart ones tend to be ahead of the curve.
    :-D

Gagner is ***freaking*** smart, and such incredible focus in one so young. …be still, my heart… He has quickly adapted to everything that’s been thrown at him. My goodness… he’s barely out of diapers and already playing centre in the National freaking Hockey League. btw – thank you, Fernando.

As you know, I fell in love with this kid in game #1 of the SS, so I’m hooked, and therefore, biased. ;-D … imho – If the good Lord’s willin’ and the creek don’t rise – Samwise will become the Oilers’ finest top six pick since 1980.

Gotta go…
    Christmas is calling.
    Louise

3. namflashback says:

id,

I’m firmly in the “saw him good camp too.”

What I see is that, despite all the real concerns (shots directed at net against, and at least the perception of d-zone posession time) you can clearly see him making the right “mental decision.” Just that the speed of the game and strength/size aren’t at pace yet.

4. Stuart van says:

He blocked a shot at a crucial point in the closing minutes of last night’s game.

5. Asiaoil says:

If he can better Parise’s numbers from his first NHL season (81 14-18-32) at a FULL 2 years younger then we have something very special on our hands….and it looks likely that he will.

Give him a full summer to build strength and work on his skating and he’ll be an effective 2nd line center next season. After that the sky is the limit. Too bad Torres got hurt – a Torres Gagner Pisani 2nd line would be pretty effective IMHO.

Torres cannot make or receive a pass. He doesn’t have a clue in the offensive end of the ice. He doesn’t show up mentally for half the games.

If you want to give Gagner an anchor, Torres is it.

7. Dennis says:

I didn’t think about a 14-89-34 line but, yeah, that sounds interesting.

My ’09 expectations for Gagner will be raised because the Oilers gave him the full ’08 season to get his feet wet.

Hopefully he appreciates that gesture and works his ass off in the gym this coming summer.

if he does that, we’ve got a dandy on our hands.

8. Asiaoil says:

Actually I think Gagner is 3 years younger than Parise was in his first NHL season….not sure through. Parise seems a decent comparable in a number of ways (size, speed etc) but Samwise is waaaaaay ahead of Parise’s development curve and may have a higher upside.

9. Ric says:

Asiaoil,

Yeah, Gagner would be a full three years younger than Parise in his first season.