World Juniors

This is Steven Stamkos. He’s the top ranked player on several lists for the upcoming 2008 Entry Draft (although the better player long term may end up being Drew Doughty). Stamkos is 6-1, 180 and has a wide range of skills (explosive skater, excellent shot, he’s grown two inches in the last 10 minutes) and ranks second in OHL goals with 30 goals in 32 games (second to PHX 2007 draft Brett MacLean).

He’ll be one of several very good prospects on display tomorrow at the World Junior Championships. Doughty is a terrific defenseman with all kinds of skill, and there’s a kid named Luke Schenn also made the team and is apparently outstanding in more than one area.

I have not seen the final Russian roster, but they had a kid who is being talked about on their prelim. roster named Slava Voynov. Based on everything I’ve read on him, he is the new Behn Wilson and that’s pretty much cocaine for a hockey fan.

11 Responses to "World Juniors"

1. doritogrande says:

Watch out for Zack Boychuk also for Team Canada. I’m sick of hearing about the undrafted darlings of the OHL with no respect for Schenn and Boychuk.

Saw Voinov play in the Superseries game in Winnipeg. He’s all that and more. Definitely franchise-material if he comes over early enough and learns the North American game.

Also of note, there are a couple other 2009 draftees being showcased that deserve a shoutout. There’s a kid on the American roster, Schoeder, I believe. He’s either Tavares-good, or the Americans are desperate. I think it’s the former rather than the latter. Viktor Hedman, the 6’7″ defenseman from Sweden is also playing and is a leading candidate for the top pick in the ’09 draft.

I’ve set it all up in a thread here: http://forum.nhltopshelf.com/index.php?showtopic=9584&st=0

Can’t wait for tomorrow morning. It’ll be like Christmas, all over again.

Good stuff, dorito. That link tells me I’m not allowed in, did you post it elsewhere?

3. rickibear says:

Looking forward to seeing:Magnus Svensson Pääjärvi and Victor Hedman for Sweden.

4. Black Dog says:

The one good thing about this awful year is the fact that if all falls rightly we may see Stamkos in Oilers silks. Whoo hoo!

Oh, right.

5. Andy Grabia says:

Wow. I just saw Voracek good.

6. doritogrande says:

Right, forgot the forums are protected now. I didn’t post it anywhere else unfortunately. My bad.

Voracek has been good in the first period. Scary good.

7. Gare Joyce says:

The guy I want to see more of is Nikita Filatov for Russia. Stamkos told me that he was the best Russian (after Cherepanov) at the under-18s. Scored an impressive overtime goal in the QF vs the Swiss at the under-18s. (The goal and other under-18 stuff was on YouTube for a while.) As for “the undrafted darlings of the OHL” you can thank them for the win over the Czechs.

For all the talk about Frolic, I’d take Voracek any day.

I liked several of the Canadian kids. Stamkos and Tavares did some nice things, I thought Schenn was strong and made people pay a price. Denis Potvin made some decisions he’d like to have back but this is from first glance.

Is Stamkos a good center? He seemed to be winning faceoffs quite often. Or am I mixing him up with someone else?

9. Gare Joyce says:

That was Stamkos winning faceoffs, including one directly leading to a goal. Stamkos could play wing at the next level–if your team has the first- and second-team all-star centres. Otherwise, you’d want him to play in his natural position. Tavares is the one who should play the wing.

10. Dennis says:

Lain, I don’t understand why you get yourself all lathered up over the prospect of missing out on Doughty while you’re as content as fuck with Smid.

I might try and watch a game or two of the juniors but TSN and Pierre Macguire have pretty much ruined it for me. I did watch a few shifts of the first game and Vorachek looked damn good.

Dennis: I liked Albelin too.