Below is a very early depth chart for 08-09 with cap hit (note: NOT 08-09 salary). Estimates have the cap around 53-55, so we’ll say 54M to make it fun.
- Roloson (3.667M UFA SUMMER ’09)
- Garon (1.1M UFA SUMMER ’09)
DEFENSE-$14,393,000 (with 3 rfa’s to sign)
- Souray (5.4M)
- Staios (2.7M)
- Pitkanen (2.4M rfa summer ’08)
- Greene (1.15M rfa summer ’09)
- Grebeshkov (.95 rfa summer ’08)
- Gilbert (.907 rfa summer ’08)
- Smid (.886 rfa summer ’09)
- Horcoff (3.6M UFA SUMMER ’09)
- Stoll (2.2M rfa summer ’08)
- Reasoner (.950 UFA SUMMER ’08)
- Cogliano (1.133 rfa summer ’10)
- Penner (4.25M)
- Torres (2.25M)
- Moreau (2.00M)
- Nilsson (1.013M rfa summer ’08)
- Thoresen (.570 rfa summer ’08)
- Hemsky (4.1M)
- Pisani (2.5M)
- Brodziak (.497 rfa summer ’09)
- Gagner (1.625M)
- Stortini (.534 rfa summer ’08)
- Dollars Spent before UFA/RFA: $46,382,000
- Approx. Cap Room: $7,618,000
- UFA’s: Horcoff and Garon are a year away but should be signed this summer, Reasoner is a free agent this summer.
- Approx $$ for those UFA’s: What’s fair for Horcoff? 5.5M? What about Garon? 4M? Reasoner I assume is 1.1M. My understanding is that none of these signings will have an impact on the 08-09 numbers (in Horcoff and Garon’s case, anyway) so total cost increase for next year would be limited to Reasoner’s small raise.
- RFA’s: Pitkanen, Gilbert and Grebeshkov on the blueline are all rfa’s in the summer. Stoll, Nilsson, Thoresen and Stortini are rfa’s this summer up front.
- Approx $$ for those RFA’s: What’s fair for Pitkanen? 4.5? What about Gilbert? 3M? Grebeshkov I’d suggest gets the small raise required by the CBA, and while we’re at it Stoll probably would be in that general area too. Nilsson wouldn’t be getting a big raise and should they make the team in the fall Stortini and Thoresen would get small raises too. So, if we estimate an increase to keep rfa’s in the $5M (per year) number would that be fair? Increases to Pitkanen and Gilbert, and then the minimum allowed for the others should they make the team? That puts the number at $51,582,000 (including Reasoner’s raise) and gives Kevin Lowe about 2.5M to play with in free agency.
- Home Improvement: Anyone on the farm? Schremp’s cap hit is $775,000 and for Reddox it’s $508,000. Pouliot (942k), Jacques (668k).
With all this said, do you think Lowe has to move someone at the deadline to make room? If so, who does he move? Roloson? Staios?
You know, he might just move one of those rfa’s.