Oilers at Thrashers, G50/07-08

This is Daniel Bouchard. He was an excellent goaltender in the 1970s and early 80s for various teams, including the Flames, Nords and Jets. This makes him somewhat unique in that each of the teams he played for moved (the Flames actually moved to Calgary while he was still employed by the club).

Daniel Bouchard is quite famous now as being the hero of one Patrick Roy who saw him weave some magic as a Nordique.

Bouchard’s place in NHL history was secured much earlier than that though, as he was a main player in the events that cost Boston General Manager Milt Schmidt his job in the early 1970s.

Schmidt had a problem in the summer of 1972. The expansion draft was not far away (his team went deep in the playoffs, actually they won the Stanley so they were the last man standing) and he needed to submit a protected list to the NHL. He had some major problems, there was no doubt of that. In goal alone, he had the de facto #1 in Gerry Cheevers, along with a very capable backup in Eddie Johnston. Down on the farm (Boston Braves, AHL) was the young Bouchard who put in a nice season (50gp, 2.51 4so) in hockey’s highest minor league.

Added to the pressure of the moment was the big, bad WHA and the fact that NHL teams had treated their players like dogmeat for 2,000 years. Schmidt had the most famous team on the planet and not enough money to go around. He had Orr and Phil Esposito and Johnny Bucyk and all of those players cost money, too.

So he protected Cheevers, maybe hoping Eddie Johnston would be attractive to one of the new NHL teams. Atlanta (GM: Cliff Fletcher) and the Islanders (GM: Bill Torrey) were a tad smarter than that and pulled two quality goalie prospects from the minor leagues that day (Daniel Bouchard to Atlanta, Billy Smith to the Islanders from Los Angeles).

The rest of the summer must have been a nightmare for Schmidt. Gerry Cheevers went to the WHA for money and glory, as did Derek Sanderson, Ted Green and Johnny McKenzie. He lost Eddie Westfall (a fine checking RW) in the expansion draft as well and by the time training camp came around fall 1972 it looked like some kind of weird scorched earth policy had been put in place by Bruins management.

And you know what’s really weird? Schmidt had done it before. In 1967, he protected Gerry Cheevers in hopes that one of the 6 new expansion teams would find Eddie Johnston suitable, but Philadelphia drafted Bernie Parent.

That’s a whole lotta goaltending Schmidt allowed to walk out the door. It contributed to his finally being fired, and to Boston’s falling off the pace because they didn’t have good enough goaltending. In fact, for much of the 72-73 season, minor league veteran Ross Brooks (a 35-year old rookie in 1972) was the backup goalie to Eddie Johnston. In the spring of 1973, knowing goaltending needed an upgrade, the Bruins traded for Jacques Plante. He was 44 years old at the time, played in 8 regular season and 2 playoff games for the Bruins and cost them this:

• Traded to Boston by Toronto with Toronto’s 3rd round choice (Doug Gibson) in 1973 Amateur Draft for Boston’s 1st round choice (Ian Turnbull) in 1973 Amateur Draft and future considerations (Eddie Johnston, May 22, 1973), March 3, 1973

41 Responses to "Oilers at Thrashers, G50/07-08"

1. Andy Grabia says:

Great story about Schmidt, LT. And that mask on Bouchard is amazing. He looks like a luchador on ice.

2. Ribs says:

Great post, LT. The picture’s great too.

3. Guy Flaming says:

Gotta love the old school masks.

4. rickibear says:

Looking at that picture reminds me why most goaltenders were stand up.

We should weigh a pair of water soaked old pads, gloves, and blocker vs. current pads, glove, and blocker post game and ad weights to current equipment to make it the same like you do in horse racing.

Lt: This post makes your Sam Pollack fixing the draft post all the more pointed.

5. Ribs says:

Random questions of the week for everyone….

1. What would you be willing to give up for the #1 pick in the 2009 Draft? Would you send away Hemsky for the chance to nab Tavares?

2. If Brian Burke were to trade the 1st round pick he received from the Oilers to some other team, what would you give up to get it back?

2b. Would you want it back?

6. Lord Bob says:

From a hockey perspective, I would. However, from a marketing perspective, both to players and fans, sending away the team’s star who was willing to sign here longterm and not demand a trade ten minutes in probably wouldn’t be the best move.

Still, I’d have to really think about it.

Probably not enough to get it. I’d only want to move the fringe veterans in the Tarnstrom/Staios mould, the other first this year, or the third-tier prospects like Pouliot and Jacques. This kinda serves as an answer to the third question, as well.

ribs: As it stands, I wouldn’t try to trade for the top pick in 2009, it’ll probably come to the Oilers if they keep on their current path.

If ANA dealt that top pick it would probably be to a non-playoff team or a team that would soon sink out of the playoff race, so I don’t know why they’d deal it before they knew their actual draft number (I’m talking the new team here, it’s easy to understand why Burke would deal it).

I wouldn’t trade Hemsky, Horcoff, Pitkanen, Gilbert, Garon, Gagner, Penner in order to get that pick.

Other than that, fill your hat.

8. Ribs says:

Even if it ends up being the #1 pick?

Yes. The Oilers have to have something to build on and at the NHL level there’s talent but much of it isn’t established. At this point they need to surround their young players with more actual NHL players more than they need a Doughty or a Stamkos.

The players I mentioned are either established NHL regulars playing at or above average for their position, or young players who are on their way (potentially) to being same.

Kevin Lowe has already put this team way back in the cycle, the idea of trading Shawn Horcoff for a chance at Stamkos holds zero appeal for me.

10. Ribs says:

Fair enough, LT. I would have to say I am in agreeance with that. Stamkos might not be worth trading away key players for.

…Tavares on the other hand, I would have to consider.

11. Dennis says:

Wow, that mask is fucking awesome. It’s almost Predator-esque.

When I think of the Oil in Atl, I think of:

- Smyth’s hat-trick
    - MacT vs Kovalchuk
    - Comrie vs Kovalchuk
    - Jiri Dopita’s lone goal as an Oiler.

Pretty dead initial frame. Oilers held the adv in the last 10 so I guess we’ve got that to hold on to. The most steady and confident Roli’s looked in awhile and I’m not sure if today’s start’s a showcase or if it’s just a reflection of eight or nine GA in the last two starts for Garon. If Roli loses today 2-1 but then gets the start on Tues, I think it’s safe to say they’re showcasing him/

MacT’s running the “114 reasons why our GD is so poor” and as of yet, I don’t see Waddell hard matching against them. Then again, maybe I’m missing something. Nice period for the 46-51 combo as well.

Because Roli looks solid and the Oilers need this game more than Atl, ie the Thrash know it doesn’t take a long roll to get to the top of the SE, I like the Oil’s chances in the last 40.

Quinn just called Dustin Penner Andrew Penner. Afternoon hockey is closer to watching golf than I had recalled.

Ales Hemsky. A God.

14. Tyler says:

The 5-77 pairing isn’t really doing much to me. I’m kind of half watching this as I summarize some stuff but there’ve been two long sequences where those guys have gotten tied up in their own end of the ice, moving it back and forth but not out, followed inevitably by a turnover. I remember some (RiversQ?) talking last year about how Smid just loved dumping it to his D partner regardless of whether it made sense to do so – he’s still doing it and the Thrash got a nice chance here after he made a bad pass trying to do it with 77.

Smid’s no Tarnstrom that’s for sure.

Nice little play there by the kid-line.

17. mc79hockey says:

This thing with the three guys living at Moreau’s house just kills me. I’d like to imagine that Gene really does live with them and do all of the work.

lol. My wife felt sorry for Gagner with his ridiculous wardrobe. I kept telling here “he’s making a lot of damn money” but I think she might take up a collection anyway.

19. mc79hockey says:

You really have to feel for Gilbert too, I think. Don’t you hate it when your bed is to high for you to get a proper look at your big screen TV when you’re watching TV in bed?

20. Dennis says:

Yeah, nice goal and great patience by 89 to finish. It took me awhile to warm up to him but 12 makes things happen. He picked up another assist there and he made a sweet play in the first to set up 13 in the slot. I wish he was good enough to slip in for one of 10′s wingers and thus try and trickle down some offense to another line but I doubt that can happen.

I also noticed the 77-5 doing the old Brewer going backwards play. Brew was infamous for that.

I’ve been mentioning it for awhile but 34′s really struggling right now. Not creating any chances and I suspect 18 will soon enter that territory as well. I guess it’s to be expected; you get all hyped about coming back but then you realize the team you’re playing on and your offensive abilites are limited in the first place. This is why we needed more from 14-16 and why so much of next year’s hopes are pinned on the 12-13-89 troika. As scary as that sounds.

Others stuff:

- I counted the Oilers giving up four chances in that period but they were all Grade A opps.

- When 46 drew that penalty from Kozlov, Waddell had a facial expression that could only be described as a demon having an orgasm. Did that crack anyone else up?

- Going forward, I’ll wager Brodz is a 15 goal scorer and a plus player. And, the guy has wicked PK rates as well. Not sure if they’re sustainable going forward but it’s something worth watching.

- Roli looking great. Moving around the net well and excellent rebound control

- This has been happening the last few games but guys are no starting to take 44 wide. The esteemed Eric Bolton did it last period. Maybe guys just figured out that he’s playing on the Oil;) probably it’s more of a reflection that he’s playing way too many min at EV. He can’t handle it and I’d like to think that MacT’s less of a dummy than Vish but maybe I’m wrong on that.

- If Don Cherry can call Brad Richard’s Ron Maclean’s boyfriend, then I can call Lain David Staples boyfriend:) So, today Staples is talking about Souray and making a little jab at the friends of Tom Gilbert but there was a play 77 made at the end of the first period that was just outstanding. He’s to the side of his net and he does that spin where he eludes the forecheck of two guys and then makes that little Lidstrom 10 foot pass to start the breakout. I doubt Souray’s ever done that in his life and that stuff matters.

- I’d like to say the Oilers can hold on to this one but I don’t trust them. Blowing the 4-1 lead in Minny, allowing the late goal in CBJ, allowing the late goal vs Det, Drury’s buzzer beater, etc etc.

Finally, I hate Junior Seau. Why don’t more people take the piss out of him for that long, drawn out retirement speech, only to come back what seemed like minutes later? What an insincere blowhard.

21. HBomb says:

Gilbert gives the Oil some breathing room a 3-1. Horcoff and Hemsky both check in with assists (2 for each on the night).

Is it safe to say that if the Oilers don’t win this game and the next two that the road-trip should be regarded as a failure? I think so…..

Nilsson is winning an NHL job. Good for him. Can he crack 40 points this season? That would be a nice total. His EV-60 numbers is spot-on with Zach Parise so maybe Nilsson can cash the cheque Pouliot wrote.

4-2 now. I still think the Oilers win this, 1 minute to go.

23. mc79hockey says:

That last ATL goal was a gambler’s dream for those of us who bet the over on the o/u of 5.5.

24. RiversQ says:

Lowetide said…

Other than that, fill your hat.

I’d agree with that except for Pitkanen. I would strongly consider dealing Pitkanen for a top three draft pick. Pitkanen reminds me a lot of Brewer – good physical tools, great skater, some nice offense, but really quite shaky with the puck in his own end and you can count on him to make one bad blunder every game. Combine that with the fact that he’s already getting reasonably well paid and in line to get paid a lot more with his next deal and he mirrors Brewer’s career nicely.

So basically, if Pitkanen’s looking for $5MM+/yr on this next deal, I just can’t see him giving that kind of value. You have to think about dealing him if he’ll get you a major pick.

25. Dennis says:

The 12-13-89 line is something I guess we can go with for the last two games of the trip considering we won’t be playing world beaters. The key is to find something we can depend on for accompanying EV stability outside of the 10 line. Stoll had a chance to score in Car on Friday night but he’s blipping again at EV. I don’t remember anything good from him at evens vs LA, or in Wsh or today in Atl. And, Reasoner’s probably nothing more than a 4th liner, PK and LD faceoff man at this point.

You had to like Nilsson’s game today. Just before he scored, he made a nice play where he stepped in to intercept a pass and then almost finished a two on one with Cogs.

One play about today that I didn’t see mentioned was when the Oil were on a PP and 27 skated back to turn a two on one into an even man rush. This is something he just wouldn’t have the gas to pull off earlier on.

26. Dennis says:

Riv, I don’t agree with the Brew/JP comparison and if you deal off Pitkanen, then how in the hell do you build your D for next year?

You’ll have to end up overpaying for a UFA dman and then you’re basically doing what you don’t want to do for Pitkanen in the first place.

The only thing, and I don’t say that lightly, that worries me about 25 is his durability.

27. Showerhead says:

Nilsson might finally make me into a fan if he keeps playing like he has these past two games.

Did anyone notice Kovalchuk’s fake headbutt on Smid when they mixed it up in front of Roloson after the whistle? That shit deserves an elbow.

Two nitpicks: 1) Hemsky has a play he goes to every once in a while on the powerplay where he follows his pass to the point, takes the puck back, and curls towards the center of the ice. Sometimes his turn gets too wide and he throws the puck away – if he tightened it up, and lord knows he can, it would actually be useful. 2) Gagner and Cogliano were exchanging the puck down low on a 2nd period PP.. Gagner picks up the puck, curls towards the net, the defender bites HARD on the pass back into the corner leaving him with all sorts of room… and Gagner dumps it into the corner for a turnover. When Samwise learns to take that puck to the net he will become a legitimate PP threat.

Enough whining on my part… ‘TOPES WIN!

28. Ribs says:

Pitkanen is the next Brewer? Awesome! Let’s trade him for Pronger!

On Nilsson, it’s nice to see him be effective but I wonder if he wouldn’t be better off on an eastern club ala Darkwing Duck.

It’s good to see Penner and Gagner delivering results today as well.

Gagner has been blowing stunning chance after stunning chance for about 5 games now, but he’s also picking up points. He’s a complete chaos machine right now but you have to admit he’s got that sixth sense about things all the good ones have.

He just has to have the game slow down for him (and he will) and the points will start coming.

The questions on him imo remain:

1. Will he be an EV outscorer?
    2. Is he durable?

30. Dennis says:

Lain, regarding 89′s durability, he’ll never be as dumb and weak again as he is in this his rookie season so if he comes out of this year without getting banged up, I’ll say he’s one of those guys that’s lucky/knows how to stay out of harm’s way.

31. PunjabiOil says:

Disagree. Pitkanen isn’t very physical, and has historically much better offensively than Brewer. Brewer has yet to even hit the 30 point plateau in his career. The Oilers gave him all sorts of PP time, but it was Niinimaa and Poti carrying the mail.

Pitkanen has already had 2 seasons with over 40 points (46 and 43). A large bulk of these points on EV. For whatever reason, his offensive game took a step back this year (13 in 33GP), but he’s logged up the minutes and has done well on EV.

However, like Dennis says – there is questions on his durability. He had 58GP in 2005-2006, and missed a bulk of games this year. Of course Ryan Smyth was never consistently healthy year after year, and we were all big fans of him.

It will be interesting to see how much Pitkanen gets paid this summer. Even though it may appear he hasn’t done enough to warrant a 75-100% raise, I think he’ll get it because he has

a) RFA offersheet leverage
    b) If he signs a long term deal, he’ll be giving up years of free agency

32. RiversQ says:

Dennis said…

Oh sure, it’s not a perfect comparison, but the value problem will be the same I think. (I’m not even considering durability, which honestly probably makes it a slam dunk, if you can get the return.) Pitkanen will have RFA offer sheet leverage and a bullish market to drive his price up. Like Brewer, I don’t see Pitkanen as a big time difference maker, so why contemplate paying him like one?

As for building the defense…

What is the one thing that Lowe does well?

It’s find veteran dmen.

Staios, Ulanov, Hejda, Spacek, Tjarnqvist, Tarnstrom twice and even Cross… You could probably keep going, but I can’t see the Oilers being successful under this CBA when they don’t even use Kevin Lowe’s singular contribution to team building efficiency. Quit fucking around with mediocre young dmen that cost too much too quickly and start bringing in the value blueliners that other teams don’t recognize. Then you can piss away money on what you don’t know. Like pretty much everything else.

33. RiversQ says:

Oh I should add that Souray probably fucks up this theory a little bit.

It’s not so much that Souray’s bad, just that he’s not remotely good enough to eat that much payroll.

Lowe should have known better given his track record.

34. Bruce says:

Yeah, that was a great shift by Row-bear. The defensive play was big, IIRC it was Kovalchuk who had juked both 13 and 89 and was stepping into the middle and Nilsson didn’t go for the fake and just took the puck off of him. It was easy to visualize the score being 3-2 within about 3 seconds, instead the kids took it up ice a couple of times with Nilsson just missing one opportunity before absolutely burying the second. That was a goal scorer’s finishing nail, great fucking shot.

Rod picked up on that, I was driving the kids so heard that part of the game on the radio. Sounded like Penner busted his ass to nullify a threat. I also liked that play Penner worked with Hemsky for the PP goal; while Ales hypnotized defenders with the puck Penner slipped away from his customary spot in the goalie’s face, got open on the weakside and just buried the perfect pass.

Awful game for Tarnstrom today, spent more time in the penalty box (8 minutes) than he did on the ice (7:40). Fell down in the first to cause a 2-on-1, then Rod said he fell a second time just before his fourth penalty. Managed to put a -1 on the board too. Wasn’t a whole lot of help to Matt Greene in his first game back; Greene wound up seeing twice as much ice as his veteran partner and acquitted himself fairly well all things considered.

The three S’s all had solid games on the blueline. Souray’s 28:54 was by far the most on the team — in fact he led the club in each of ES, PP and SH TOI — and he posted 5 shots, 2 hits, a takeaway, a blocked shot and nothing negative. For a tired old guy with a bum shoulder playing his third game in 3.5 days, that’s not bad at all. Staios contributed on the scoreboard with a couple assists, while Smid was +2 in 22:17 with a team-high 3 hits, some solid work on the PK and no missed assignments that caught my eye. Not sure he and Gilbert are an ideal tandem, but they didn’t hurt us today.

35. jon says:

Nilsson Schmilsson.

36. Dennis says:

Riv, I hope you jump back on this so we can keep it going, but my problem with this is two-fold:

- Sometimes, you just gotta commit to someone and stop flipping assets for assets

- I don’t have the defenseman-finding faith in the Oilers that I used to have given how they dealt with Hejda and Bergy.

I’m starting to get the willies about Pitkanen because of how much time he’s missing with all these different injuries; a lot of it seems to stem from innocous plays as well which leads me to believe he’s lugging around a lot of exisiting injuries and/or the guy just has bad luck.

I just looked at his career stats and in three of his first four years, the guy was pretty durable. But now in two of his last three, he’s a good bet to have missed at least 20 games in two of those seasons and while I’m arbitrarily assigning a missed GP number as alarming, I’m gonna say that as soon as a guy starts missing 20 games a year, you have to seriously look at what he’s doing in those other 62.

So, this is why I’d be wary of inking Pitkanen, but it has nothing to do with what he does on the ice because I like what he brings. And I didn’t see you cite his drop in PPG and I don’t know how much of his production was based on ST play but once Stoll’s moved, one of Pitkanen or Gilbert’s counting stats production will go up unless the Oil try and go nuclear by putting 83 on the point and thus 12 or 89 down low. Anyway, if Pitkanen’s healthy, I believe in the guy and I have a hard time believing we can trust Lowe to spend the Pitkanen Money in a better fashion.

Because, and allow me to go Sophia Petrillo on you;) picture this: it’s Edmonton, 2008 and the Oilers have a D corps of Pitkanen-Gilbert-Staios-Hejda-Bergeron
    vet-Smid. Bergeron and Pitkanen are on the PP and Hejda’s on the PK and thus we don’t need Souray. Which brings me to the point that we Didn’t need Souray in the first place and that Hejda’s just as good a bet killing penalties and playing EV as Souray and that the Oilers didn’t realize what they had in terms of the PP when they had Bergy. And it also places the whole Plan in a different light when we know they gambled on Souray After they’d picked up Pitkanen.

Basically, I’ve lost faith in the Oilers procurement and assessment of D given Souray, Hejda and Bergy for Grebs and that’s why, assuming that Pitkanen’s not a long term injury case, I’d be fine giving him his money.

37. Master Lok says:

Then I would suggest you didn’t have much faith to start with. While I’m not saying that Grebs is a great dman, I’m not Bergy’s greatest fan either. He can shoot the puck, but he can’t pass it as well as needed to be a PP quarterback. He can recover from mistakes but he makes so many bone-headed giveaways that it boggles the mind. Let’s just say if you’re using Bergeron as your argument – then I suggest you need to find better ammo.

As for Souray – take away his contract. Imagine him as a $3 million player – would that make him a “better” defenseman? So the Oilers overpaid for him – he’s a UFA – not everyone will come to Edmonton for under $1 million.

38. Master Lok says:

It took me awhile to warm up to him but 12 makes things happen.

I recall that either dennis or mc79hockey was swearing that Nilsson would be out of the NHL by the end of next season. Has his minutes of fame ran out yet?

39. RiversQ says:

Master Lok said…

The UFA angle is just nonsense. If Souray is a $3MM dman, then that’s absolutely no excuse to pay him nearly 50% more. No UFA in the league is worth a 50% markup unless you’re actively trying to sewer your franchise.

Dennis: I see where you’re coming from, but the Oilers have started a clock here and tehy have a bunch of shit that’s running on a different timescale. (no top 5 1st rounder this year, paying Souray, wondering about Horc’s extension, pissing away years of Hemsky, etc.)

Basically, my point is that this this team has to build towards something. It sure does not look like next year, so it’s 09-10 or 10-11. Since it has to be the year after (at least) and you’ve already screwed with the timeline by signing Penner, you might as well suck next year as well and actually snag a top pick for your troubles. I think dealing Pitkanen can help you do that while picking up more assets. It also adds payroll flexibility to retain all these players and add pieces in a year or two.

Let’s step back for a sec… What is Pitkanen going to get and what is he worth to you?

I think he can get $5MM/yr in this market even as a RFA. I think that’s a good $2MM more than the value he’ll provide.

40. Dennis says:

Riv: if you’re saying JP’s only worth spending 3 mill cap space per season, then I’d suggest you’re really going to have to continue to beat the bushes to continually find guys like that. I know the way certain clocks are set and I think this team is ready to do damage by 2010 or ’11 just as long as Horc, Gilbert and Pitkanen have been inked. Let’s throw Garon in there as well;)

But if you’re giving up JP for a first this year, then how long before that guy can give us what Pitkanen can for this year and the next three or four years after?

Master: the numbers totally back Bergy over Grebs. The former was locked in for awhile and for cheap and he was valuable in soft min situations and he could score goals. All are things that Grebs either isn’t or hasn’t proven he can do.

As for Nilsson, I’ve waffled on him. He played a great game a few HNIC’s ago in Cgy and on that trip he played great in Col and Min as well. I was ready to say he’d made it. I think Ty’s more deadset on him never having any value but I’ll let him handle that himself.

Regarding Souray, I know you have to overpay to get him but you shouldn’t have paid to get him in the first place. Hejda had already been in-house and was cheaper and then we picked up Pitkanen to give PP min. Oilers could’ve even held onto Smyth and still signed up Penner to the offersheet for that matter.

41. RiversQ says:

Obviously, I meant nearly 100% more.

I see where you’re coming from Dennis, but Lowe’s in a tough spot to make this all work by 09-10.

I think you’ve pretty much nailed the key parts, and I think that’s exactly why it’ll fall apart. I don’t think Lowe can keep Horcoff, Gilbert and Pitkanen with the current setup. (I’m assuming Hemsky and Penner are keepers and Souray is an unmovable boat anchor – these six players are going to total over $25MM/yr) Since I don’t think that’ll happen, my choice is to send Pitkanen out the door given his pending raise and his medical charts.