Oilers Recall Greene

Edmonton recalled Matt Greene from Springfield this afternoon. He was apparently a little inconsistent in his one game in the AHL but the Oilers don’t really have time to waste in getting him back into the lineup. One imagines that Greene will be inserted into the lineup right away, and there’s also a slight chance they deal Dick Tarnstrom this afternoon or in the next week or so should Greene prove healthy and ready for legit game action.

22 Responses to "Oilers Recall Greene"

1. matt says:

Why is Dick being dealt? What’s the story there?

2. Mr DeBakey says:

Oh good

A lumbering one-legged defenseman will turn things around.

So this is what I’m thinking:
    after today’s draw with Watford, Charlton are 5 points out of one of the two automatic transfer spots to the Premier League.
    With 20 games remaining, I think they can catch Bristol City.

3. doritogrande says:

On the positive, he was +2 last night paired with Allan Rourke.

I think Dick’s being dealt because he’s a Swedish defenseman. There’s really no other explaination.

4. Dennis says:

Tarnstrom HAS to be on his way out. Why else call up Greene just one game into his conditioning stint?

The only other possible explanation is that Pitkanen’s about to go on IR.

Anyway, Greene would give us 24 guys so someone’s moving or being put on IR.

5. doritogrande says:

Dennis,

Sanderson was placed on IR when Greene was sent to his conditioning stint.

6. mike w says:

I don’t get the Tarnstrom situation at all. He’s been at least better than Smid all season and can barely crack the lineup.

As the only D-man coming up as a UFA, I guess that’s reason enough to trade him.

At some point Allan Rourke deserves a sniff, too (although I think he’s been a bit overrated by the blogs).

7. Scarlett says:

Damn, I’ve enjoyed Greene being out. He is not what this teams needs.

8. Black Dog says:

According to MacT the other day the original plan for Tarnstrom was that he was going to be a top four guy this season but then the Oilers traded for Pitkanen (but gave up Smith going the other way so that’s kind of bullshit) and picked up Souray. All of a sudden, Holy Smokes!, look at all of the defencemen! And they decided they wanted Dick to do what Sanderson was doing up front, play a supporting role, sit in the PB etc while they play the kids.

This is ok with Sanderson, according to MacT but he said Tarnstropm wanted to play more. No kidding.

He also said all things being equal they would play the kids, conveniently ignoring the fact that Tarnstrom, flawed though he may be, is far better then either Smid or Grebeshkov.

So that’s the deal.

Mr. D., I’m a Spurs man myself. With their win today they are getting closer to getting back to Europe next year though its still a ways. Best of all Robbie Keane scored his 100th goal in a Spurs uni! Glory glory Tottenham Hotspur indeed!

9. john says:

Spurs have no shot at qualifying for Europe, and Berbatov will be off in the summer.

10. Julian says:

how long is JP out for? anyone know yet?

11. Andy Grabia says:

The same could have been said of Hejda last season. Look how much icetime MacT gave him.

12. Ribs says:

Bring on the wildebeests!

13. matt says:

So confused. Was so happy to see Tarnstrom back. Am so unhappy to see Grebeshkov help us not win hockey games. And Tarnstrom sitting around picking splinters out of his ass.

14. Dennis says:

The whole Tarnstrom as an Oiler scnario has been super interesting and has never gone smoothly.

- Oilers interested in him in Nov of ’05 but he gets hurt just before they complete the deal.

- Oilers pick him up in Feb, right? When he gets here, he’s hurting so they say that determines how they use him.

- He gets here and they never utilize him on the PP; in his stead Spacek gets to shoot 25 one timers a game.

- He gets sat while the green Matt Greene plays.

- Oilers start ’07 with a bunch of guys who aren’t the best at making first passes, seems like a perfect fit for 23. But for a myriad of reasons, ie money and the health of his child, he doesn’t surface in edm

- Oilers are talking about signing him seemingly all throughout the ’07 season, albeit for ’08. So he’s inked early because they don’t have a guy that can move the puck. But then they pick up Pitkanen and they sign Souray because he’s there and no one else will take their money and now they’ve got too many puck movers.

- Oilers are fine with seeing kids make 150 mistakes a night so he sits in favour of Grebs and it’s clear he’ll sit in favour of Greene as soon as that’s a possibility.

15. PunjabiOil says:

At this point of his career, Sanderson is one of those guys just happy with earning an NHL paycheque.

This from training camp:

EDMONTON – Geoff Sanderson has no trouble being called “the throw-in” in the Joni Pitkanen trade this summer.

“A throw-in? I don’t mind that, at all. I’d like to be under the radar,” said Sanderson.

“I was fortunate to sign a two-year contract in Philadelphia. I’ve seen guys with no options now (Mike Johnson, Jeff O’Neill, Jeff Friesen, all free agents waiting by the phone). I have another year to play,” he said.

________

Sanderson is nothing but a drain on the Oilers budget.

At least with Marty Reasoner, double digit +/- ratings in each of the 3 years post-CBA, you still respect him because he’s giving his heart out to the team.

From a fans perspective, it’s hard to like a guy who is just doesn’t care.

_______________________

Back to the original topic, Matt Greene still is a bundle of suck. If anyone should be moved in package deal, it’s Matt Greene. Perhaps there are other GM’s around the league that believe that just because he has a physical element to his game, he’ll be helping their team win games.

16. Bruce says:

At least with Marty Reasoner, double digit +/- ratings in each of the 3 years post-CBA, you still respect him because he’s giving his heart out to the team…
    Matt Greene still is a bundle of suck.

Interesting take, PJO. Looks to me like Matt Greene is also giving his heart out to the team, but he’s not worthy of similar respect as Reasoner? At least in Greene’s case there’s some possiblility of improvement. Reasoner as you point out is -14, -15, and -14 (and dropping) since the lockout and has seemingly found his level. I won’t call Marty a bundle of suck for the very reason that I too respect his effort, but in the same vein I also respect kids like Greene, Stortini and Brodziak who are busting their ass for the team, even if their results aren’t always that great.

17. PunjabiOil says:

Fair enough.

18. Master Lok says:

Interesting, so after the Atlanta game, is Greene still a bag of suck, while Tarnstrom is the next veteran dman saviour?

19. Dennis says:

The Oilers believe in Greene just like they do with Smid and Grebs.

We’re stuck with the lot of them.

20. matt says:

I’m agnostic on Greene. I believe he has potential. Ditto Smid. I have no idea why they saw the ice time they did last year. But in a year where a playoff run is a pipe dream, I don’t mind seeing them work their kinks out. Grebeshkov makes me want MAB back. Or maybe a bucket of chicken. And why you don’t play a good defenceman in his stead boggles the mind.

21. Dennis says:

I’ve never seen anything exciting about greene. Strikes me as a guy who missed the boat by about 10 years. If he was breaking in back in ’96, he could’ve hooked and held his way to a career. As it is now, though, there should be a lot of questions about whether he can hang with the new crackdown on the things that made him effective in the first place.

Also, I’d put him that catergory where his best bet would be playing with a vet puckmover in the third pairing, and the thing about the vet buffer is something that’s needed for all of Smid and Grebs as well.

It’s lunacy to try and break in more than two kids and things would be even more dire had Gilbert not taken a totally unforecastable leap.

22. PunjabiOil says:

No, Greene is still a bundle of suck.

Tarnstrom, I agree isn’t that good. There are better veteran defenceman than him. That being said, on this defence, he’s better than the alternatives (Smid, Greene, and to a lesser extent – Grebeshkov).