Power Plante Outage

The Calgary Hitmen are playing tonight and have scored 5 goals. Alex Plante has been shutout.

Again.

It’s been bugging me lately that Alex Plante hasn’t been scoring like he did a year ago. He’s at least playing now (missed last game, back this one) and I know he’s no longer paired with Karl Alzner but really after a pretty big offensive season a year ago (8-30-38 in 58gp) you’d think the guy would be doing a little better.

Plante’s apparently got a condition that is affecting him alot (sciatic nerve) plus he’s had a bad charley horse, a concussion and goodness knows what else.

The problem as I see it is that he’s no longer on the powerplay. Last season he went 6-21-27 with the man advantage so when we take those numbers out we get a much clearer indication about his real offensive output season over season:

• 05-06EV: 54gp, 1-3-4
  • 06-07EV: 58gp, 2-9-11
  • 07-08EV: 16gp, 1-1-2

Looks like he’s right on target.

18 Responses to "Power Plante Outage"

1. PunjabiOil says:

I think it was a case of the Oilers over-valuing Plante based on his performance in the playoffs (11 pts in 13 games).

Not the first time they’ve overvalued playoff performance.

2. Dennis says:

I have a nickname for this kid: Marty Culp.

That’s the name of Will Ferrell’s character from the SNL skits where him and Ana Gastyer, sp, play the husband and wife singing duo.

Marty suffers from sciatica and I swear that whenever I read LT talking about young Plante, that’s the first thing I think of.

3. PDO says:

Starting to look like this pick will be a bust already…

Real shame, considering Backlund and Gillies were both still on the board.

4. PunjabiOil says:

Backlund has done dick outside the WJC.

1-2-3 in 18GP in the Sweden Elite league.

Of course Martin Hanzal went 19GP, 1 point at 18, and he’s playing some solid hockey in Phoenix.

That being said, in my view, the Oilers should have taken Cherepanov if you’re hitting for the projects.

imo it’s way too late to call him a bust and in fact he’s playing which is the best sign of all.

What this does tell us is that his offense was VERY complementary player, a “ladies and gentlemen batting 7th Tim Wallach” kind of player (before they made the ball more lively in maybe 1987).

ISS and Redline both liked him a ton, though and so he must have something.

Redline: Alex Plante has come a long way since the beginning of the season. At 6-4/215-pounds, he showed surprising offensive skills, particularly on the PP, where he can act as either trigger man or quarterback. He’s not a big baggage smasher, but will use his body in front and to tie forwards up along the walls.

ISS: Great size, not afraid of rough stuff. Has improved speed, good first pass, rarely gets beaten one on one. Pro size with hockey sense. A good defender who could play in all situations. Without a doubt one of the biggest draft wildcards. The number one attraction of this player is his combination of outstanding size and skill. He is blessed with a genetic gift and a relatively high level of skating and puck skill for a player this big. Plante is an intense player who is mean and not afraid of playing along the boards or competing physically. He has a good stride and his agility is improving. This has led to a definite improvement in his overall play and a climb up our rankings.

6. Gord says:

Maybe I am looking at this wrong but everyone knows the draft is a bit of a “crapshoot”.

If all we get out of the 2007 draft is Gagner & Nash, we have done better than most teams. And considering the injury Plante went through, it is still to early to write him off as a regular NHL player – we just might have to lower his upside…

7. Rand says:

PunjabiOil- Backlund is playing in the Allsvenskan, a step below the Elitserien.

8. Guy Flaming says:

I don’t know if he’s played more than 5 games in a row yet this year.

The injuries are a definite concern although he’s not injury prone in the classic sense. These were fluke injuries this year and outside of 2007, he’s been injury free his whole life.

The lack of offence I’d chalk up to lack of playing this year. He’s got a lot of rust to knock off. If I was Kisio, not sure I’d be playing him on the power play right now either, the Hitmen have plenty of weapons and can afford to bring Plante back slowly from injury.

This year’s injuries worry me but the lack of production doesn’t.

9. Black Dog says:

My wife always gets sciatica when she is pregnant so Plante should be fine bt autumn, worse case.

Kidding aside, not too worried yet. Sounds like some bad luck to me.

And the whole “well they could have had so and so” thing – well in a lot of cases that’s so much hindsight. Unless you have Patrick Kane staring you in the face and pick up Virgil Kane I think that as long as your team has some consistent hits then you have to forgive the misses. If Gagner and Nash are players then its a great draft and its not like Plante was pegged to go in the sixth round. A lot of people liked him.

Its not like the Leafs’ Belleville Bulls’ draft where they had three first rounders.

Outstanding civil war/Band reference BD. Congrats by the way, I was going to ask who the skirt was on your blog but I swear everytime I say something like that the answer is “my wife” and then I feel like an idiot (this once happened famously at a wedding and I used something stronger than “skirt” to a fellow who looked over to spot his SISTER!!!).

Anyway, nice update Guy and some good points. I think we can be certain he won’t get pregnant this year but he’s had every other damn thing. :-)

11. goldenchild says:

If the Oilers go 2 out of 3 I would take it, though its probably too early to call this kid Nick Stajduhar yet.

12. Doogie says:

Just for the record, the Hitmen won by a touchdown (9-2). Alzner with a goal and two assists, Plante with…2 PIM for high sticking in the first.

13. Black Dog says:

Thanks LT – as for the skirt, that is Alicia Witt; I do love those redheads.

Very funny – I have a size ten mouth which works out well for my size nine foot as well but I have a buddy who has the habit of asking women when they happen to be due when they are not. He manages to do this at least once a year.

He doesn’t seem to learn is the problem.

14. Dennis says:

Alicia Witt is magic. First time I saw here was in that old Cybill Sheppard sitcom that used to run on CBS on Monday nights. It was probably called Cybill but I don’t care enough to look it up.

But, anyway, Witt played the brooding youngest daughter.

Magic.

BTW, speaking of the pregnancy thing, the couple next door has two boys. While shovelling next to the husband he decided to tell me he thought Eric Desjardins was better than Pronger, he’s a Flyers fan obviously, so that coloured everything he ever said afterwards.

Anyway, the wife is as me and my friends would say, a “bigger lady.” In the time between their first and second kid, I’m out waiting for one of my friends to pick me up and the neighbour across the street says, “So, Mary’s pregnant again, hey.”

I honestly couldn’t tell the difference.

15. Black Dog says:

Yeah that’s the first time I saw her too, Dennis, and it may have been Cybil or Here’s Cybil or The Cybil Shepherd Show. Something like that. I watched it once or twice and it was all for Ms. Witt. Yep.

Now was she bigger or just big boned?? ;) Now I’ve just hit forty and they say wisdom comes with age although I don’t know if I buy that yet but more or less I’ve learned to keep my mouth shut when in doubt. There are times I let a beaury slip but with two little kids running around who repeat everything you say and I do mean anything its best not talk about the neighbour and her R.A.*

* That’s Reverse Arse by the way, you know, when someone is so big it looks like they have an arse up front as well as on the rear.

16. PDO says:

BDHS:

You forgot to mention when they start wearing mom jeans to cover up the RA ;)

17. Dennis says:

In these parts, we call them Gunts of Gunnies.

For men, they’re referred to as Gicks or Gocks.

Carry on.

18. Bruce says:

Dennis, you crack me up.