Rangers at Oilers, G43/07-08

Is inserting Sam Gagner into the lineup tonight the right thing to do? Is it a huge deal?

I don’t think it’s a huge deal either way. So far MacT has used the kid for 552 minutes (including an hour and a half on the PP) with half the season gone. The last gifted teenager to play for the Oilers (Hemsky) got 712 minutes in his first full season (2.5 hrs on the PP) so we shouldn’t be overly alarmed if the kid plays only 15-20 games in the second half of the season.

It’s a process. Hemsky’s progress (712 mins to 1,025 to 1,375 in his first three NHL seasons) would seem to be a reasonable template.

Right?

25 Responses to "Rangers at Oilers, G43/07-08"

We need to clone Moreau and Pisani, so they can play with both Cogliano and Gagner.

I don’t know if Torres is a good (enough) babysitter or not. I think not. So I think the Oilers have to trade Stoll and Torres and stuff for two really solid 2-way wingers by the start of next season, or sign a veteran free agent or two.

2. Aaron says:

I would really hate to see Stoll leave. I really hope this year is just an aberration for him. Torres I wouldn’t miss.

Seems reasoable to bring Gagner up in the same fashion as Hemsky. Although this time around our depth isn’t as much so those minuted may be higher out of necessity.

3. HBomb says:

I’m the opposite. I think Torres is the one you keep.

Now if Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky is the top line, if Torres comes back in a few weeks, could you run out Torres-Cogliano-Pisani and then put Moreau with Gagner-Nilsson?

That’s what I’d do. Fourth line of Reasoner-Stoll-Brodziak, with Thoresen/Stortini as the spares and Sanderson sent out for a draft pick.

4. PunjabiOil says:

At similar money, I’d keep Stoll.

Eklund has Staal to Edmonton as an E3. Clearly a case of making shit up, but let us believe for a second…

Gagner, Hemsky, Souray draw back in.

//Nilsson a HS tonight. With Stortini and Thorosen playing, I just don’t how that makes sense.//

MacT needs someone to hug Avery. Plus, the Rangers have Orr and Hollweg.

6. HBomb says:

At similar money, I’d keep Stoll.

Even with a sub-par season, I could see Stoll asking for something in the area of 3 million a season.

Which is too much.

I’d say 50/50 he’s dealt by the deadline this year. But that’s just a gut feeling.

7. HBomb says:

Team Canada defeats the Swedes 3-2 in OT to win their fourth straight WJC.

10 players from this team eligible to come back next year. They could very well dominate in Ottawa.

I’m scared shitless of Burke getting Luke Schenn, let alone Doughty or Stamkos. Penner better pot 35-40 per year from here on in…..either that or the Oilers better go on a ridiculous hot streak.

8. doritogrande says:

The four-peat is complete. Canada wins in Overtime.

Matt Halischuk, drafted by the New Jersey Devils with the winner.

9. Stuart van says:

Torres can really pound em when he’s on his game. Despite his high draft status, his career potential is a solid 3rd liner. Pay him and play him as such and I don’t think he’ll disappoint. He’s a keeper.

Stoll, pre-injury, is a 2nd line centre but is playing way below that level. He might fit in nicely as a 3rd line center on the SJS Sharks. Trade him for Bernier and a draft pick? We get bigger, tougher and younger in that deal. Maybe create some more room for our younger guys to work, and we’re going to have a logjam at centre anyways.

10. oilerdiehard says:

If the Rangers actually had more goals for than we do on the season Thoresen ahead of Nilsson might make a bit of sense. But they do not and it does not to me at least. It is their defense and goaltending that appears to be the tougher nut to crack.

11. barb michelen says:

Hello I just entered before I have to leave to the airport, it’s been very nice to meet you, if you want here is the site I told you about where I type some stuff and make good money (I work from home): here it is

12. PunjabiOil says:

Then you take him to arbitration. He hasn’t done anything in 40 games that indicate he’s in line for a raise.

Mike Cammarelleri received 3.1M after an 80 point season. I’d be surprised if Stoll ends up getting any more than 2.5 long term.

13. doritogrande says:

First line Powerplay unit of Moreau, Reasoner, Pisani.

Who the fuck is in charge of the powerplay?

14. PunjabiOil says:

Watching Moreau out there, you realize what he brings to the team. Almost forgot about the guy having not seen him for a year and a half.

I have no answers to the PP – but damn does it suc.

15. Aaron says:

There’s an answer to the powerplay – dumb luck!

I’ll take it.

Stoll 2 goals tonite … please?!

16. Devin says:

This team is completely incapable of winning in regulation. It’s getting weird.

And has any NHL player scored more last-second goals than Drury in his career? This guy is automatic when something is on the line.

17. Aaron says:

Avery is such an a$$.

Good, make-up call on Betts.

18. dubya says:

First game this year I’ve thought Souray was the best Oiler defenseman. Hope he keeps it up.

19. ClaytonMagnet says:

I guess Gagner answered LT’s question himself…

20. DeeDee says:

Yah, just save him for the Shoot Out ;-)

21. HBomb says:

As for Torres, he’s getting an 800,000 raise next year to 2.4, and he’ll be making 2.750M the year after. Not exactly the greatest bargain, and I have a feeling he’ll be shipped out this summer.

The only number that matters is cap hit, and Torres 2.25 million per season hit is more than reasonable.

I don’t think they ship out a guy this summer who likely won’t play again this season (just a hunch here), because they’d get nothing for him. It would have been like trading Stoll last summer. No one’s going to pay for damaged goods.

22. rickibear says:

deedee: Just like saving Stoll for face-offs. Which of the two makes more of a diffrence.

23. Dennis says:

I like the look of those lines with Torres back, H. I think that might work. 14-34 have done some good work together in the past, both with Peca and Stoll as their pivots, so it looks like they have some chem.

And there’s no reason why 18 couldn’t babysit like 34 was before him.

If we’re looking at that and dealing Stoll, I’d be looking for a dman in return so that we can permanently move Smid to the third pairing.

24. rickibear says:

I choked on an Almond while reading Dennis’s comment.
    It started with “I like.”

25. Dennis says:

Almonds are good for you, RB. Just like my observations;)