Schrempest in a Teapot

With Shawn Horcoff’s injury a concern there is the possibility of a callup from Springfield in the next little while.

Candidates would include Liam Reddox, Rob Schremp, JF Jacques and Marc Pouliot, with Schremp leading the team in scoring and Pouliot being the lone center in the mix.

An item in today’s Journal will probably light a fire with the fanbase and shut down the Al Gore by the noon whistle.

To quote the Edmonton Journal: MacTavish hasn’t dipped into the minors for help in weeks, but said Tuesday that Marc Pouliot is playing well in Springfield, and he could get another look in a while. Not Rob Schremp, who played in the AHL all-star game? “Not in the foreseeable future,” said MacTavish.

There will be much gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands, some phlebotomy and leeches and some new phrases and word combinations.

If the Al Gore had been around in the 1980s, would we have done this over Summanen? Soules?

The one thing that remains incredible to me is that Schremp hasn’t asked for a trade. Based on all the reports about his bad attitude it would seem to be an obvious option but the kid has said the right things all down the line.

I’m a big fan of draft day scouting reports but it would appear that the 100,000 words written about his selfish attitude and pettiness were much ado about nothing. The scouts might have spend more time on his skating flaws, it would have helped.

Anyway, the kid is having a good season and I’m finally cheering for him again. As for Pouliot I’m at a point when I’ll believe it when it comes to pass.

In my opinion, he’s already passed the Last Chance Texaco and is running out of gas with the Oilers.

17 Responses to "Schrempest in a Teapot"

1. doritogrande says:

It’s either Pouliot comes up because he’s the C, or we do something smart and move both Gagner and Cogliano back to their natural positions and call up the Knight to fill someone’s spot on the kid line. Give Gagner some glory time with Pensky and shelter the 88-13-12 line at ES.

My money however, is heavily on the former option.

2. Black Dog says:

Or maybe nobody comes up – sounds like Horcoff has been playing with this for a while. He tweaks it and toughs it out for a few games and then it gets better.

Unless he cannot play I can’t see a callup. A one armed Shawn Horcoff is a better option then pretty well everyone else.

As for Schremp, I wonder if they told him early on this season that the plan was to have him spend the entire season in the minors to work on his game with an eye to next year. I would say that might be a good bet, considering that he has said not a thing and also that everytime his name comes up MacT shoots it down immediately despite his fine play.

3. heed says:

i’m thinking the same thing with schremp. i honestly think they want him 100% recovered from that injury before they give him a shot in the big show. give him one more year to boost the confidence. we will see him before the year is through and i am rooting for him. it would be nice to see something positive happen to this team for once.

4. Sean says:

Perhaps they are show casing Pouliot hoping that he plays well enough that someone will bite?

Schremp is better off having a complete season in the AHL unless he starts to dominate (which he hasn’t quite done yet). Keeping him in the minors should make him work like crazy to earn the job next year. Its him or Torres IMO.

5. goldenchild says:

I hope Pouliot does get another chance. Listen I know he has no one to blame but himself but based on what we saw from him last year I find it hard to believe that he wouldn’t at least be more valuable than Stortini, Thoreson and Brodziak. If does get a shot it will prob be his last hopefully he understands that.

6. Mr DeBakey says:

Never an encouraging word.
    The entire Oiler’s organization has been as one on Schremp since the summer of 06.

Did they not have a long look at him during the Cup run?

Lowe, Mactavish, Howsen [then], Buchberger, Prendergast, the scouts – eveyone has been very low key about Schremp.

Buchberger flat out said no way on the Oilers pre-game show just before the all-star break

7. Big T says:

Doritogrande;

I can see what your sying about moving a player up from the kid line to play with Pensky but IMO it should be Cogliano rather than Gagner. He’s the one clearly from the Horcoff tree and is being developed as such.

T

8. Andy Grabia says:

Agreed, LT.

9. HBomb says:

Craig MacTavish likes Rob Schremp about as much as he liked Jani Rita.

That’s what I’m hearing.

Nilsson would be getting the same damn treatment if it wasn’t for the fact he’s actually put up some points.

10. Ribs says:

Why does cheering for this team feel like getting nails hammered through my knuckles every week?

Hemsky, Horcoff, and Souray now? What are the odds of this crap?

11. Bruce says:

Hemsky, Horcoff, and Souray now? What are the odds of this crap?

Ask Colorado.

12. Dennis says:

You don’t really know the context of those comments so I can’t really say that I know what MacT’s talking about when he speaks of Pouliot’s possible return.

- Would be it because they’ve got him slotted for Reasoner’s spot if 19′s dealt?

- Or would it be as a replacement if Horc goes on the IR?

Otherwise, I can’t see him fitting in right now; especially not unless there’s some movement.

Nice work on the non-malcontent angle, LT. The EDM MSM does fuckall reporting on the minor leagues anyway so it’s not like they’re gonna spend a tonne of time talking about the kids. Why they don’t is something I don’t understand but, anyway, the “Schremp isn’t that hard to get along with” blurb is what you’d expect those guys to cite if they cared enough to write about it all.

The only thing I can say about the Oilers and how they treat the kids is they have their own way of doing things but it certainly isn’t uniform.

- Anyone else want to argue that Matt Greene shouldn’t have saw more time in the minors?

- And Smid along with him?

- Pouliot got a push late in his first pro season but that tide was quelled by his bout with mono.

- Cogs gets the jump

- Gagner gets the keys.

I don’t think it’s a bad thing that Schremps gonna play close to two full seasons in the AHL and because he came into this season injured, he was behind the ’08 eight-ball right off the bat.

So considering that along with the fact that the Oilers gave 13-89 spots out of camp and there really wasn’t a lot of room for Schremp to fit in.

And considering that Nilsson’s a draft class ahead, I’m fine with the Oilers giving him the long look first. Only thing I’d say about Schremp in the A is I hope they’re giving him tonnes of time and responsibilites.

Finally, come next year’s camp or this summer, the Oilers should decide between Nilsson and Schremp and then deal off the other guy before he’s lost most of his value. I think I’ve nailed that it
    s either Robbie or Rowbert and the only thing that could change that is if Stoll’s out the door and Cogs gets moved into his shutdown role.

Then again, even if it’s a waste of money, ala Souray, I think Lowe’s gonna go get some kind of “scoring winger” this summer. It could be Ryder on the cheap and he’ll score 25 goals and finish -20 and you can see it coming from a mile away; but I still think he’ll move.

That kind of move would definetly impact Schremp and obviously Nilsson as well.

13. Bruce says:

- And Smid along with him?

Anybody else want to argue that Edmonton shouldn’t have had a minor league affiliate the last two years? That self-inflicted amputation of the farm team really crimped Oilers’ style in developing any of these guys coming along in 2005-07. I think Smid did benefit from time in Springfield earlier this year, and I think at this point it’s likely both guys are learning and improving more and faster in the NHL than they would in the AHL, but I won’t deny for a second that some of those lessons are painful to the viewing audience. I’m reasonably hopeful in both cases that it’ll be worth it in the long run.

14. kiwi-oiler-fan says:

Now would seem like a good time to give young Mr. Schremp an opportunity to find his way in another organization. He has likely improved his trade value with the ahl season he’s having and it doesn’t seem that he has a future with the oil.

15. kiwi-oiler-fan says:

16. Ribs says:

Ask Colorado

No doubt, Bruce. I guess it’s comforting to know other teams are having some of the same problems…It just sucks is all. It’s a hard blow when the top players are in the pressbox and you have to search for things to enjoy while watching the games.

“2008-01-25 12:05:21
    Edmonton and Florida say they are two of the most banged-up teams in the NHL, and their man games lost to injury prove it. After Thursday’s game, the Panthers had lost 221 games to injury; Edmonton 204. The Panthers and Oilers trail only league-leading Chicago (224). Other teams that have lost a large number of games: Boston (189), the Islanders (167), Colorado (162) and Carolina (158).
    …Florida’s numbers were inflated by early injuries to defensemen Noah Welch (45) and Mike Van Ryn (29), and center Garth Murray (23).”

17. Bruce says:

Well, Noah Welch and Garth Murray are hardly Horc & Hemmer, and yes it does suck. That said, Horcoff has played every game and Hemsky is at least in the line-up; I’d be willing to bet there are key players sucking it up and playing with pain on virtually every club in the league.

The Avalanche have it tougher than us. They are trying to hang in the playoff hunt while missing elite players like (ahem) Ryan Smyth, Joe Sakic, and Paul Stastny long-term, not to mention the underrated Kurt Sauer (+11 in just 24 GP), and last night they lost their #1 goalie to back spasms. Now that’s gotta suck.

What particularly sucks for Oiler fans is this is the second year in a row Oilers have suffered far more than their “share” of injuries. I too wish it would fucking stop.