2008 Draft: Colby Robak

This is Colby Robak. He’s 6’2, 195 and Brandon’s fourth round selection (77th overall) in the 2005 Western Hockey League bantam draft. Robak was among the final cuts for the Canadian Men’s Summer Under-18 Team at the 2007 Memorial of Ivan Hlinka, which was held in the Czech Republic and Slovakia in Aug 2007. There was a report at the time that a hip flexor injury limited his effectiveness.

His WHL stats (54gp, 5-20-25, 19pims, his -7 is worst among Wheat Kings Dmen) along with the Redline Report (“Big, smooth, skilled blue-liner is starting to put it all together and showing he has more offensive upside than we gave him credit for”) make him a player of interest.

Robak is rated #8 among North American skaters in the Central Scouting Mid-Season list (that’s the important one) and he was rated the 6th fastest skater at the CHL Prospects Competition.

I noticed him because of one big play at the Top Prospects game, described by Guy Flaming on his blog (Coming Down the Pipe): Colby Robak, Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL): (8/14) One of the under-the-radar players who helped his cause with a good showing in the game. His wonderful long bomb pass to Jamie Arniel was one of the best plays of the night. Fell during his fast lap but looked very good until that slip. Stock surely went up and a strong finish in Brandon might get him top 12 consideration. Grade B

He is ranked 14th overall by ISS and is a player who the Oilers may look at with their top pick this summer.

12 Responses to "2008 Draft: Colby Robak"

1. jon k says:

Sounds like the second coming of Alex Plante. Maybe pass.

2. doritogrande says:

I’d much rather we go for a forward with our first, considering Riley Nash is the only real forward prospect not playing pro. Defensively we have a very strong prospect pool with the likes of Chorney, Petry, Wild and Plante.

This is one year I wouldn’t mind drafting based solely on namesake alone. I’d love to see a Staal out West finally, or Toews’ brother David.

If Mikkel Boedker or Zak Boychuk are still availible after 15, I’d strongly suggest Lowe makes a move upward for one of them. Maybe swap picks with a mid-teens team and throw in one of our defensive prospects in NCAA for the opportunity. We don’t have room for all of them with the likes of Pitkanen, Souray, Gilbert, Smid and Greene already established for a sizeable length of time. No sense in worrying about any Russian prospects, this is the Edmonton Oilers after all.

3. jon k says:

I’d personally pass on Toews or Staal, unless we’re picking 29-30 overall, I think we’d have to pass on Toews or Staal. I just don’t think they’ve put up the performances to justify being drafted any earlier.

Similarly, if Boedker or Boychuk are available past 12th I’d be very surprised and would definitely recommend going for them. Boedker really reminds me of Hemsky.

4. doritogrande says:

jon,

yeah that’s what I meant actually, sorry if I wasn’t clear. If we remain with the Ducks pick as is, then Staal might make a good selection at that number. I don’t want them trading up for Staal.

5. Bendelson says:

What’s the deal with Joe Colborne?
    Nice size and speed. I’d like to hear more about him as possibly one of our two late first rd picks (which we will have after the trade deadline).

He’s going to UDenver next yr…
    Riley Nash all over again?

6. jon k says:

Colborne is a player I found intriguing as well. From the reports I’ve read he seems to actually resemble Penner in style and physical tools. Good hands, 6’5″, decent scorer at a little under a PPG in AJHL. Apparently good at faceoffs and defensively aware, but generally still a perimeter player with little grit.

7. jon k says:

Scratch that, hockeydb is a bit out of date. He’s apparently second in AJHL scoring with 31 goals and 48 assists in 48 games. The scoring leader is a 20 year old.

Pretty interesting player, but you’d have to think he’s going to move up form his draft ranking based on size and overall combination of his skillset.

8. doritogrande says:

Holy hell, where’d this Colborne kid come from? Bendelson, you really did some homework on this one. He’s scoring at near Turris-ian levels, and he’s a freak of nature sized talent like Penner.

He may have “project” written on him, but I don’t think we could do much better at 28-30.

9. jon k says:

As I sort of alluded to earlier in this post and in others, Colborne likely won’t be available at 29-30.

Draft day in the NHL inevitably sees guys move up or down from their pre-draft rankings based on perceived “NHL” characteristics such as size.

A guy like Tyler Ennis is ranked early to mid first round, but I’d be surprised as hell to see him picked before the start of the 2nd round.

Similarly, a guy like Colborne ranked 30th by CSS is going to move up substantially merely based on the fact that he’s already 6-5 and marked as being a good skater.

10. jon k says:

I know I’m clogging the thread, but I should clarify that I think Colborne could be taken 1st round despite being the 30th ranked NA skater by CSS.

11. Bendelson says:

Yeah, but he is worth a closer look seeing as we have the 24th pick as of today (I think). That sounds about right for him though I hear you Jon K when you say players of his ilk tend to go earlier than expected…

someone to keep a close eye on.

I really like this kid in the draft and I’ll say it again, I really like the idea of Trent Hunter in a trade or UFA over the summer…

Speed and size for a reasonable price tag.

12. Bendelson says:

By the way, he compares his game to a LeCavalier or Spezza so confidence is NOT a problem with Colborne.

His attitude is excellent. Apparently VERY teachable.

The more I look at this kid, the better he looks…
    You got anything on him LT???