Bueller? Bueller?

Trade Deadline day is always a fun time for fans. For Oiler fans last year was a bullet to the brain and the patient is still in a coma, but this year should be fairly ordinary in comparison. Here’s my list of players who might go in trade from the Oilers today (in order of likelihood):

1. Dwayne Roloson
  2. Jarret Stoll
  3. Steve Staios
  4. Marc Pouliot
  5. Joni Pitkanen
  6. Marty Reasoner
  7. Rob Schremp
  8. Geoff Sanderson
  9. Matt Greene
  10. Rob Schremp

54 Responses to "Bueller? Bueller?"

1. Oilman says:

You must really think that Rob Schremp will be traded LT!;o)

2. mc79hockey says:

Why do you think Roloson goes LT? What makes you think that someone will swallow next year for a guy who looks like a backup?

3. ClaytonMagnet says:

I gotta think Schremp will be higher up that list. I would be willing to bet that his value will never be higher than it is right now because of his year in the A, and considering MacT’s lack of love for him, Lowe has to be working hard to get something for him.

4. DBO says:

I can see Rollie going to ottawa. best case happened for us in that emery has lost it, and both goalies are playing great. Hope KLowe sent Ottawa a tape of the last cup run.

Breaking news Salvador to Devils – per TSN

5. Josh says:

As far as I’m concerned if Lowe can find a team to take Roloson’s contract then this day is a success.

6. Bruce says:

Good morning. Roli to Ottawa is logical at one level, as I replied to Ribs in the previous thread, I had him pegged to go to Ottawa for a Cup run in ’06. Let’s just say I was half right. :) Maybe today we’ll see the other half happen, cuz he could help their team.

Trouble is they got two expensive goalies there already. Gerber is a $3.7 MM cap hit thru ’09, Emery $3.167 MM to ’10. Roli is of course also signed thru ’09, and while his salary comes down to $3 MM that last year his cap hit is $3.667. Three goalies is either one too many or one not enough (thinking back to the “Huey, Dewey and Louie” season that preceded Roli’s arrival here in Edmonton, when among other things the Oilers became very probably the only team in NHL history to win three consecutive games after yanking their starting goalie mid-game).

In Ottawa’s case it’s one too many — especially three, three-million-dollar goalies — and somebody would surely have to move along. Someone earlier suggested a three-way deal, but is there any possibility they might be looking to move Emery for Roli straight-up? Makes a certain amount of sense, Oilers get younger, Ottawa gains some stability and literally deals with a problem. Would one side have to throw something in? Which one?

Quirky fact: Ray Emery was born on Grant Fuhr’s 20th birthday. (So was Dustin Penner for that matter, but there are more obvious parallels between the two netminders.)

7. Bruce says:

Brian Campbell goes to the Sharks in the first big deal of the day. Not sure who’s going east yet.

Sharks have been hurting for offence from the blueline, a fact I know all too well having picked both Carle and Vlasic in my keeper league hockey pool. I got Campbell too, come to think of it. He’s been helping my team, and he will help the Sharks.

I still think a new coach would help them more.

8. Oilman says:

Looks like Richards to Dallas is done acording to the Philedelphia Hippy

9. digger says:

Campbell for Bernier and SJ’s 1st rounder in ’08.

Pretty sweet deal for a guy set to hit UFA.

10. Devin says:

Lowe won’t move Reasoner, Sanderson, or anyone else obvious for the same reason he didn’t move Sykora or Hejda last year at the dealine: He’s not a smart GM. He’s a terrible GM. His record speaks for itself.

11. goldenchild says:

Whats a succesful day for the Oilers? if they can move Roloson without taking a contract back move Sanderson for a late pick and then move someone from the prospect glut of Shremp, MAP, JFJ for a 2nd rd pick. Would that be an A?

12. Bruce says:

I’m frankly relieved Richards is not coming to Edmonton. I think his greatest value to whoever gets him is right away, this stretch run and playoffs and of course neither of those things is happening here. Having spent some considerable time recently surveying the peaks and valleys of Richards’ remarkable career, and having watched him closely since his days in Rimouski, I get a sense he’s a guy who plays hard when the spirit moves him, but when he does (every leap year or so) he is one hell of a player. The trade may light a fire under him.

I will be interested to see how he performs for the duration not just of this season but of that millstone contract. If he likes Dave Tippett and responds favourably to more sensible minutes then the Stars can win the trade.

That said, the Lightning just got better. Smith is a cut above the guys they had in net, they added a solid second- and fourth-liner up front in Jokinen and Halpern, and of course freed up the cap room to re-sign Dan Boyle. That’s a pretty solid return for a guy who spent the last two years bleeding goals.

13. Quain says:

Huet for Washington’s second rounder.

That seems like a cheap price to pay to win a division.

14. Bruce says:

I wonder what Olaf the GoLaugh thinks about that deal.

Now the Caps have their own Huet, Dewey and Louie.

15. Devin says:

Bruce – I tentatively agree with you re: Richards. My concern is that Richards was playing 25 tough minutes a night, and a second and fourth liner, no matter how effective in their roles, do little to compensate for that. Put another way – anyone they plug into those minutes is at least as likely to bleed goals against as Richards was.

Anyway, they picked up Smith, whom I like. The Boyle deal, though, screams of another idiot Feaster contract.

16. ClaytonMagnet says:

If Huet is only worth a 2nd rounder, what is Rollie worth? I’m sure we won’t find out…

17. choppystride says:

You know, with all the recent debate on Brad Richards, the name that caught my attention is Havlat, who’s apparently being shopped. Of course, I’m assuming that his injuries are not of a recurring nature.

Not sure what the Hawks would want in return though. I guess from our side it would be the usual suspects (Pitkanen & Stoll), and perhaps with Schremp thrown in to join his buddy Bolland.

18. Ribs says:

Still quiet in Oilerland.

Probably means Lowe will wait until the last possible second again.

19. Bruce says:

Devin: We mostly agree, other than I think Jay Feaster has had a pretty good day. I think BR was miscast as a 25-minute forward. But he certainly did bleed goals against. So did Johan Holmqvist (or Mark Denis or Karri Ramo or Gumper the goalie). Smith, who had mounted a pretty serious challenge to Marty Turco, will immediately assume the #1 role and I fully expect him to run with it. He’s a big man with a commanding presence, something Tampa desperately needs behind their own blueline. Excellent puckhandler too.

With Smith, Jokinen and Halpern where Holmqvist, Richards and Prospal used to be, the Bolts just got a LOT stronger defensively. They also got a LOT cheaper, that’s ~$4.8 MM coming in (all signed through at least next year) and ~$10.8 MM leaving.

That’s more than enough to cover Boyle’s 100% raise from $3.33 to $6.66 MM. The big gamble is he’s 31 and six years is a long time, but obviously they’re satisfied he’s over the horrific injury (13 GP, 3-8-11, +2 since his second return), and otherwise he’s proven to be fairly durable. He would’ve been one of the top UFAs this summer, and while he didn’t take a home-town discount, he would command the same sort of interest and market value that Brian Rafalski did last summer.

This was one hell of a trade, a HOCKEY trade, nary a draft pick to be seen. Both teams addressed needs and have reason to emerge optimistic.

20. digger says:

21. Bruce says:

Choppystride: Having had Havlat his entire career in my keeper league pool, I can tell you from sorry experience the injuries are recurring. He missed 10-15 games in each of his first four years, then 64, 26 and 28 (so far) the last three. He’s missed time with groin injuries every year, with perhaps one exception being the year he missed 64 games with a shoulder injury and didn’t have time to pull his groin also. He pulled it twice the next year to compensate.

Havlat’s a $6 MM touch who plays when the spirit moves him. But when it does, he can be absolutely fucking brilliant.

22. Oilman says:

Bob McKenzie: “The difference in contract for Adam Foote and Columbus: Less than $500 000 per year. And he wanted to stay. What is Columbus doing?”

did Howson learn from the best or what!

23. Bruce says:

Fuckin’ aye. Matt Cooke gone to the east coast. Not quite far enough, but heading in the right general direction.

24. Oilman says:

Happiest person regarding Matt Cooke – Ray Ferraro

25. Bank Shot says:

Huet for a second… well that seems to squash any hope of a sucker taking on Roloson doesn’t it? Goalies with good records and stats are practically given away.

I think Brad Richards makes alot of noise in Dallas as a key player on a team with a very solid supporting staff.

The contract issue becomes a complete non issue in a year or two. The Stars also fill a damn need which is first line center. Where else were they going to get one? By signing me?

Sincerely,
    Scott Gomez.

26. Bruce says:

Oilman: Sounds like Ferraro had something interesting to say — somebody on Battle of Alberta commented on this also. I’ve been watching TSN; can you summarize Ferraro’s diss-missal of Cooke? I hope he got him in the numbers on the way out.

27. Andy Grabia says:

I can’t believe Mike Johnson is sitting in a studio with Al Strachan talking trades.

28. Mr DeBakey says:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    shewwwwwww

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    shewwwwwwwww

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    shewwwwwwwww

29. Loxy says:

BOOOO-ring.

30. Andy Grabia says:

You have to flip over to TSN, to watch McGuire losing it over the Hossa trade. He’s just furious.

Crosby.

31. Slipper says:

What’s his deal, Grabia?

32. Ribs says:

MA Bergeron’s a Duck. That kinda sucks.

33. Andy Grabia says:

Loxy, I’m updating on BoA.

Slipper, McGuire thinks that Armstrong getting traded is the end of the world. Apparently Crosby and Armstrong are close, so…you know. Crosby. McGuire even compared Pittsburgh to the Lightning. He just lost his mind. It was great television.

34. Oilman says:

Bruce – I honestly never heard anything – I was just making the observation because everytime the Oilers play the Nucks on sportsnet Ferraro does everything but call Cooke a gutless puke.

35. Bruce says:

Thanks, Oilman. I think it was Andy who mentioned Ferraro’s comments on BoA. Care to elucidate, Andy?

One of the reasons I like Ferraro is he (eventually) gets to the point. Matt Cooke IS a gutless puke, one of the cheapest players in the entire league (three concussions induced this season, plus whatever happened to Mathieu Roy last week).

On SportsNet they were just saying he will help Washington because in a seven-game series he’ll put one or two defencemen out. It’s probably true, but begs the question: how the fuck is this guy still in the league? The league office or the Enforcers Of The Code should have dealt with this backstabbing little prick long since.

36. Andy Grabia says:

Concerning Cooke:

I’ve heard it, twice. Ferarro just went after Cooke again, about five minutes ago. Said Pettinger is a much better player than Cooke. Said that Viigneault did not like the way Cooke played. Suggested that players and management were tired of him starting stuff, but not finishing it. Other players were having to fight his battles for him. Gary Valk and Don Taylor were talking about how valuable Cooke is (Valk: hitting is a skill), but Ferraro was completely dismissive.

37. Oilman says:

I was just saying to my buddy that Pittsburgh should have got Cooke too – the only thing he’s good at is pissing off the other team and drawing penalties….I’m thinking the Pens PP might be OK.

38. Loxy says:

No oilers moves. ARGH.

I was looking forward to a new playoff team.

39. doritogrande says:

“According to hockeytraderumours.com, the Rangers have acquired Robbie Schremp. Nothing definite yet.”

Think that one might’ve been wishful thinking on someone’s part

40. Pat H says:

//”According to hockeytraderumours.com, the Rangers have acquired Robbie Schremp. Nothing definite yet.”

Think that one might’ve been wishful thinking on someone’s part//

yeah -on MacT’s part. :P

41. garnet says:

And the answer is … nobody?

42. Scarlett says:

Wow no moves. I’m a bit shocked. I thought at least one or two moves.

43. Ribs says:

Heh, no one wants to touch the Oilers players with a 10 foot stick. Injury sisease spreads quickly.

44. DBO says:

So now do the Oil make moves at the draft, seeing what they have the rest of the year and move some of our young players for a top fligh guy? Jokinen in Florida may still be available in the offseason. This gives you a shot to see Nilsson and maybe Schremp or Pouliot, as well as to see if grebs is a real top 6 dman.

Not to mention based on play this year, you might get Stoll (who is being compared to Horcoff’s crappy year last year on team 1260, as a potential production increase next year), and also to see if Pitkanen wants $5 mill plus., so if he does then bye bye.

45. garnet says:

Maybe the RFAs should all be held for now; we’ll either get them signed for next year or get draft picks in compensation. It’s like being on the other end of the Penner signing. I remember Billy Beane in Oakland used to acquire free-agents-to-be for the stretch run, just for the compensation he’d get in the CBA: a “sandwich pick” between the first and second rounds.

46. doritogrande says:

Oddly enough, more 7th rounders were swapped today than 1st rounders. Kind of odd to be stock-piling 7th rounders, as SJ and TB both added two in today’s proceedings.

47. rickibear says:

If you listen to Klowe news conference you get the feeling he won’t be doing any trade deadline analysis. Man I laughed at that one.

48. uni says:

Wow…Lowe has made only 1 trade this entire season. Colour me surprised.

49. Dennis says:

Not sure if you guys know this but Pierre McGuire is a Habs addict and that’s where his heart lies;)

I guess I should’ve known this beforehand because he got his start, best I know, from doing local radio in Mtl but back when the Expos were still around, I’d listen to some of their local radio and McGuire would make more than the odd appearance.

I think Pierre was upset because his Habs didn’t get Hossa. When Huet was moved earlier, Pierre was practically shaking with glee and saying the Habs had more up their sleeves and later on he looked like a monkey because of it.

I did have a big laugh when he said the move of Armstrong would “destroy” Crosby. The only thing he said earlier that was AS silly was when he said Lapointe would get into the Sens room and pick out the bad apples and “pound them into submission.” Fuck, that guy is the master of hyperbole. I just pictured Lapointe putting Spezza in the camel-clutch and Spezza tapping out while Heatley was crying in the corner:)

Overall, it wasn’t nearly as much fan watching the coverage this year as it was last year. Maybe it was because of the Oilers angle last season but Gord Miller was visibly shaken over the Smyth deal and Pierre used to it further his hatred of Nilsson.

Only thing I noticed today was that Sportsnet was killing TSN in terms of breaking trades. Me and a my buddy were at the local Cherry’s eating lunch between 1230 and 2 NST, basically the time that all the big deals broke outside of Hossa, and they had, from left-to-right, Sportsnet, TSN and The Score on the three main screens so you could see which station was breaking the news first and Sportsnet was kicking ass.

I hate the dummy but Kypreos is definitely plugged in and Lebrun was there as well and he’s always been a guy you can believe too.

From an Oilers POV, I think the most interesting thing was the interview with KP posted on the official site. Go to the 4:30 mark and he starts talking about next season and says they’re looking for another D to add to that group, they feel that 27-10-83-12-89-13 is a good top six and are happy with the 4th line. So that leaves the third line and he says Pouliot will probably get promoted to the third line pivot role and he wonders longterm about Moreau’s status.

No mention at all of where Torres or Stoll would fit in and I don’t know what to make of that. We know that we’re gonna have to lose some of those two mill guys if we’re gonna take another swing on the FA market and if I’m not mistaken, KP laid out today the guys who aren’t in the mix.

Finally, looks like Reddox and Pouliot will be the ones called up to flesh out the roster. He mentioned them both as guys who’s time it was to come up here and start trying to carve out roles for next year.

50. PunjabiOil says:

I wouldn’t have any problem trading Ethan Moreau if there is any value for him on the market. The guy is Mr. Glass. 3 years in row, he’s been out for an extended periods of time. You can’t help your team sitting in the trainer’s room.

Did KP mention anything about adding a 2nd line scorer as he did previously? While 89, 12, 13 should improve, I definitely think the Oilers can improve the top 6 with a more proven guy.

Funny that they want to add another D. I’d bring back Grebs, Gilbert and Pitkanen, and Roy’s on a 1 way contract, so that will be 7 one-way contracts.

51. rickibear says:

Amen Dennis:Pendergrast has basically said were are determining what we can get for Stoll, Torres, and Pisani. Whether they are worth keeping. He sure has pitch a tent for Bumagin. But when you look at his 17 year old #’s pre injury they are crazy.

PJOil: I read the Moreau statement more as done for next year injury wise.

52. PunjabiOil says:

PJOil: I read the Moreau statement more as done for next year injury wise.
    _________

Do you mean he might not play next year?

53. rickibear says:

It would break my heart but yes!