Fresh Schremp!

In Larry Brooks’ New York Post column today there was an actual Rob Schremp rumor. Brooks wrote “The Post has learned that the Blueshirts have had dialogue with Edmonton aimed at obtaining talented AHL winger Rob Schremp, the 25th-overall selection in the 2004 Entry Draft.”

Interesting. If true this tells us a couple of things: Schremp has value in that at least one team believes he can play in the NHL, and we’re probably right in guessing the Oilers have decided he is a lesser prospect than Gagner, Cogliano and Nilsson.

Anything else? Well it would be fun to guess what his value might be, and I think we all probably would have a different view. Here are some ideas:

1. A 2008 2nd rd pick: This is a deep draft and although Schremp was a first rounder it was 25th overall and is not yet an established NHL player 3+ seasons later.
  2. LW Alex Bourret. Another 1st rounder (Atl, 2005 #16ov) who is in the AHL looking for a chance, this guy has some grit and looks more like a MacT-type. At draft time, Redline said “Built like a bowling ball at 5-10/208 pounds, he’s like a heat-seeking missile who throws his body recklessly and is an extremely disruptive force on the forecheck. Though he has a big shot off the wing, he doesn’t possess natural scoring prowess.”
  3. LW Lauri Korpikoski: Redline loved the 2004 1st rder (6 picks ahead of Schremp) and said: Never stops putting pressure on the puck. Absolutely relentless on the forecheck – refuses to be denied. Plays at high tempo and creates tons of chances. Incredibly quick stick and could handle puck in a phone booth. If he doesn’t have it, he’ll go get it; comes out of every scrum with the loose puck and then makes great plays with it. Drives through checks and crashes net with reckless abandon. Battles with intensity and passion. Deceptive acceleration and moves he can make at top end speed. Quick opportunist around net. Super pest is very disruptive with excellent anticipation and lateral agility. Like the Energizer Bunny — never stops moving his feet, constantly outworks/outhustles everyone on the ice. Also great defensively and dangerous on the PK. Runs the PP from the half-boards and is a great set-up man. Coach’s dream: heart, grit, character and mental toughness. A WINNER! He looks to have stalled in the AHL after having followed Jani Rita’s “I’ll just stay in Finland, play in the SM-LIIGA and see my development stall” wise career path.
  4. RW Hugh Jessiman. “Huge specimen” remains that, but the finer points of the game are a little tougher to master. Another guy Redline loved but also pointed out some areas of concern: “This guy has as much upside as anyone in the draft. If you saw the incredibly low calibre of competition he was playing against in a Division II prep school in Connecticut the past couple of years, you would understand how far he had to elevate his game in a very short period of time to do what he did as a true freshman at Dartmouth this season. Guys that big and with the hands and vision he possesses don’t come along every day. And the last half of the season, he even started asserting himself and showing a mean streak — if he starts doing that consistently, he’s just scary. The one major problem is that he’s never had to play a lick of defence in his entire life, so right now he’s a basket case in his own end. But it’s not because he’s not willing to try or work hard. He’s a very intelligent and coachable kid who just needs to be taught.”

I doubt the Oilers get a roster player for him, so these young men would seem to be nice options. They are players who have good draft pedigree but have been demoted to the “remedial reading” portion of NHL player school.

Which makes them exactly like Rob Schremp.

35 Responses to "Fresh Schremp!"

1. HBomb says:

So the Rangers are interested?

I’m not sold on JDD being ready for the NHL as a backup yet, but he could be in another year or two. The Oilers will need an NHL ready guy, potentially a guy with starter upside.

The Rangers have a guy with starter upside who isn’t going to be getting a crack at doing such with them anytime soon, due to the presence of that Lundqvist guy in between the pipes at MSG

Hmmmm….perhaps a pure prospect swap with the Blueshirts?

Schremp, JDD plus “something else” for Al Montoya?

2. Traktor says:

If Gagner, Cogliano, Nilsson > Schremp means that Schremp is expendable what does Schremp > Pouliot, Reddox, JFJ mean?

Hugh Jessiman is the definition of bust.

Alex Bourret and Lauri Korpikoski are both future bottom 6 players. We already have about 10 of those on Edmonton.

We need a goal scorer. If we trade Schremp I would hope it’s to fill a need. Another 10-15 goal scorer with energy isn’t at the top of my list.

I’ll take the 2nd round pick. But I would just assume we deal Schremp + for a need.

If Edmonton wants a big winger (Hugh Jessiman) they would be better off to go for Troy Brouwer.

3. Traktor says:

Seems like a lateral move to me.

It’s not like we are loaded with future point producer prospects either.

Keep Schremp unless it addresses a need.

4. Ribs says:

I’ve lost a bit of interest in Schremp over the year as he hasn’t been spectacular yet. I’m not so far gone on him that I wouldn’t be annoyed if they traded him for more prospect mess.

If he were to leave in a package deal for something that will truly impact the big club I’d be less annoyed I suppose.

It just seems like such a waste of time to get rid of him without giving him a real chance to make the team.

5. Traktor says:

hbomb: I think Montoya has lost his job recently to undrafted Miika Wiikman.

Montoya’s numbers aren’t even as good as JDD’s this year.

I’m going to have to pass.

//Also if Schremp can’t make this team because Edmonton is already breaking in enough youth wouldn’t that also apply to Bourret, Jessiman and Korpikoski?//

Penner, Gagner, Hemsky, Horcoff are all legit top 6 players. Nilsson is potentially a top six player. Cogliano is looking more like a third line centre.

So the Oilers need two guys. Schremp is one too many when you have Gagner, Cogliano, and Nilsson. They want one more proven forward.

(They might get one when they trade Roloson, Stoll, Pouliot, plus more stuff for Brad Richards)

7. Pat H says:

I totally agree with Ribs. If he’s ultimately a bust, then fine, but let’s at least have the opportunity to see some evidence ourselves. I mean, I can’t really believe that giving him some time up here would REDUCE his value at all, would it?

I know that there’s debate on whether Schremp is the real deal, or whether he’s ‘ready’, but I find it unacceptable to be tossing a year away under the pretext of a “rebuild” while simultaneously letting Schremp rot in the AHL. Especially if you’re playing the crap out of a Marty Reasoner (I think the organization’s secret code name for the “plan” is the ‘Reasoner Rebuild’). It’s not like there’s absolutely no opening for Schremp to have a go with the squad, right?

It’s a pretty good bet it won’t happen, and then you need to ask if there’s a role he can play in the bottom 6F.

9. Traktor says:

godot10 said: Schremp has to break into the top six to be an NHL player. Bourret and Korpikoski would be for future roles on the bottom six. Big difference.

I agree but why isn’t Pouliot playing bottom 6 for Edmonton? There isn’t any room for more youth on his team, regardless of the position.

If we trade Schremp it should be for a need. Would you agree that bottom 6 prospects isn’t a major need for Edmonton right now?

I would rather watch Schremp flame out in the AHL than trade him for a future Marty Reasoner.

In 5 years Schremp to Edmonton will = Savard to Calgary.

10. Traktor says:

LT: If Reasoner can play on the 1st line why can’t Schremp play on the 4th? :)

11. Lord Bob says:

If the Oilers trade Schremp for Hugh Fucking Jessiman, who is, to borrow from LT, the Coke machine to end all Coke machines, I am going to do something.

I don’t know what it’ll be. But I know I’ll regret it.

Seriously, what the hell? Did Schremp sleep with Lowe’s wife or something? Does he slap Slava Trukhno around in the Springfield locker room? Does he roar around downtown London during the offseason in a souped-up Dodge Charger running down old ladies and yelling racist slogans? Why’s this guy getting so little love from the organisation?

12. Traktor says:

lord bob said: Why’s this guy getting so little love from the organisation?

He’s not a “MacT type player” ie. no skill and a big heart.

13. Ribs says:

Arguing that Schremp needs to beat out a guy like Nilsson for a spot is pretty lame.

This team is bad enough for anyone to crack the lineup at any position. We still only have 2/3rds of a first line for crying out loud.

14. Lord Bob says:

He’s not a “MacT type player” ie. no skill and a big heart.

lord bob: It isn’t lame at all, it’s the truth. There are only so many top 6 slots to go around and Schremp lost to two guys in the fall.

Will it be better for him in the fall with Lowe having already stated that they want a shooter?

When was the last time Kevin Lowe or Craig MacTavish mentioned Schremp as an option in that role?

16. Traktor says:

lord bob said: Neither’s Bobby Nilsson. I think Nilsson’s done as well as anybody could reasonably expect this season, but if anything he’s even softer than Schremp is.

If Lowe would have signed Mike Johnson we probably wouldn’t see Nilsson either.

lord bob: I don’t know if you can say Nilsson is softer than Schremp but he is certainly faster. And as flawed as he is Nilsson has shown enough imo to be back.

Plus of course he got the job last fall and still has it so you’d have to assume the organization prefers him over Schremp.

18. Traktor says:

LT: God knows you can only have so many players in your lineup that can create offense!

Schremp would be serious overkill. :)

traktor: Well Schremp isn’t exactly forcing a callup and frankly I don’t think there’s a coach alive who could protect all the bleeders on this team already.

Gagner being on the team, added to Stoll’s epic fail (thanks to my daughter for the phrase) at EVs and the Nilsson push and and and.

I don’t know where they could put Schremp. Honestly.

20. Dennis says:

Cogs is gonna be a different player so with all due respect to LT, I don’t think he factors into any decision regarding Schremp.

Gagner is a little more applicable because of his skillset and the likely role he’ll wind up playing. But he’s left a lot of guys in the dust now and Schremp never had a camp like 89 did in ’07; I think we can agree on that. Robbie was hurt this fall and that didn’t help him but that’s the way it goes sometimes. Right place with the wrong physical condition and you’re falling down the depth chart.

I think what all this comes down to is the Oilers feel Nilsson is a better Schremp than Schremp.

Both guys are in their third pro seasons, granted Nilsson’s a draft class older, ie not sure how many months, and his counting stats and plus/minus in ’08 would seem to indicate that he’s an NHLer. What kind of one we don’t know.

Him and Schremp are likely to find their comfort spot in the same roles and whether you like MacT or not, and I don’t like him as much as I used to, I think it’s hard to argue that you can break in all of Schremp, Gagner and Nilsson and not really suffer for it.

As for where he’ll land, not sure if anyone predicted MSG but someone should have. Maybe it’s only a foolish thought of mine but doesn’t it seem like guys just deal with the same fellows and/or teams?

Lowe’s and the Oilers have always pulled deals with Boston, the Isles, lately they’ve been doing some stuff with the Blues and of course there’s the connect with the Rags. And we can throw in the BJ’s now with Howson there but with question marks of their own in Brule and Broussard there’s no reason to think they’d want another in RS.

Anyway, Slats and the Rags have been so poor in their own drafting that a guy with the counting stats of Schremp must seem like water to a guy who’s been in the desert for a week. That’s not to say he isn’t a mirage, but look at who they have in their pipe?

I think a 2nd rounder in ’08 would be a good start.

21. Pat H says:

//path: If the Oilers have decided Schremp has been passed by Gagner and Nilsson for top 6 spots, what are the odds either of them drop back enough for Schremp to pass them?//

LT: I understand what you’re driving at, and it’s a totally legitimate point. I just have some trouble comprehending the very concept of top 6 depth on this team. I mean, right now, is Reasoner not on our top 6? Is Penner our second or third line center. Frig, I just don’t know!

At bottom, I’m just wondering whether it would kill anyone to bring up Schremp, heck, sit down Reasoner (who is getting some pretty sweet offensive minutes), and see what happens. I’m not even talking about a long-term plan. If Gags, Cogliano, and Nilsson are all well ahead of Schremp on the depth chart, then so be it. But can we at least have some sort of demonstration to that effect? All I’ve seen so far with Schremp is scant minutes here and there that only function to destroy the poor kid’s confidence.

And don’t get me wrong, it pains me to speak so harshly of Reasoner, but really, my comments on him are not so much an indictment of Reasoner so much as it is an indictment of MacT’s overuse of him.

22. Lord Bob says:

Yeah, I think it’s pretty clear the organisation favours Kenta’s kid. I just can’t figure out why (or, at least, why to such an extent that they might say “Hugh Jessiman or Lauri Korpikoski? Count me in! Hey, Kevin, do you suppose Jason Bonsignore’s still playing?”)

There’s a good argument to be had on Nilsson vs. Schremp. Depending on what hour of the day you catch me, I’d go either way. But I don’t think any of us think the difference is so great that, midway into Nilsson’s first season as an Oiler, it’s time to cut Schremp loose for whatever crap we can get.

Well I included Jessiman because there have been reports that he’s playing better, but Schremp for a 2008 2nd rder isn’t bad.

My main beef with Schremp is that he isn’t forcing the issue. We all know he had offseason surgery and was behind everyone but his numbers in Feb (10gp, 3-4-7, -5) are behind a guy like Pouliot (10gp, 6-4-10, -1) who the Oilers see as a lesser offensive player.

24. Traktor says:

LT said: My main beef with Schremp is that he isn’t forcing the issue.

He leads his team in scoring by 13 points and the 2nd place Poiliot is a full year older than Schremp.

Sure Pouliot put up a better month than Schremp but didn’t Schremp have a run earlier in the year and went something like 15 points in 10 games? I guess that wasn’t forcing the issue either?

What more does he have to do to force the issue.

25. Lord Bob says:

It would be hard to play worse than Hugh Jessiman did for his first couple years. :P

A 2008 NYR 2nd would be a reasonable return, but it’s still sending a guy to the gallows awfully early when he’s put up some points in the AHL. Yeah, Schremp’s a gamble, but a second-round pick is no sure thing either.

26. jon k says:

I think Lowe and KP’s comments on what they look for in a draft prospect describes why Schremp gets no love: Character and skating.

Not skill, not scoring.

Nilsson and Schremp both lack character, but the Org. believes enough that with his speed he can at least imitate good defensive habits.

LT: If Schremp is moved, I doubt it’s for any of those guys. Bourret is lateral at best, he’s in the A for the same reasons as Schremp. Conditioning, strength, and work ethic.

I don’t know anything about the European prospect but his stats don’t impress.

And Jessiman, I think will actually end up in the NHL, but sort of like Alexei Semenov as a forward. 4th liner with size but not much else.

For all his faults, if those are the players on the table I keep Schremp and let him show something at the NHL before trading him. I mean, that was essentially the plan when they drafted him. He’s not an Oiler player, but he fell so far it became worthwhile to take a flier and just trade him later.

I don’t think there is any mystery about Schremp in this organization. MacT has stated the problems he has with them and it involves skating:

“He needs the strength base and the quickness. He’s got to be strong enough to battle at a standstill with players because he’s not going to outskate many players.”

Is there any room for doubt?

28. Pat H says:

I thought Robbie’s problem had something to do with not having the ability to hand over his dirty hockey socks to Sparky fast enough.

I’m joking, but on the basis of an allegedly real story – anyone hear this one? As told by Stauffer – er, Van Wilder? (brilliant nickname, Dennis).

29. Dennis says:

PatH: Thank you:) And, no, I didn’t hear that story. Can someone else extrapolate on this tale?

30. Mr DeBakey says:

The sox story
    I heard it, but he details are hazy.

Schremppie was talking to a member of the media after practice.
    The equipment guy wanted to get the laundry happening,
    He yelled at The Schrempster “to hurry up for Fog Sakes!”
    This was proof that the Oilers don’t know how to treat skill players, and its an example of why UFAs won’t sign here
    and a bunch of other favourite themes.

31. Dennis says:

Van Wilder has a serious love/hate relationship with the Oilers. But I think he loves and hates all the wrong things;)

32. Pat H says:

my recollection of the story is more or less the same as Mr. Debakey’s, though his rendering of it is much funnier than first version I heard.

I believe that this incident was also cited as decisive proof of the coming apocalypse, where the Son of Man would descend from a cloud, taking the fleshly form of Ryan Smyth (mullet and all), and deliver harsh judgment upon all who worship the false idol of “defensive responsibility”.

Could it be Jessica Alba instead? I mean, if it’s going to be death then at least let me experience it, you know, fully.

34. Asiaoil says:

I seem to remember that the Oilers were very high on Bourret at his draft. He’s a tougher RW who clearly needs to “figure it out soon” – but we don’t have a lot of depth on RW and the kid could fill a role in the bottom 6 if he can’t play an offensive role. So Schremp for Bourret may make some sense – but I’m kind of concerned about his mediocre +/- on a good Hartford team though.

35. doritogrande says:

Throw Schremp and a something a little shinier for the Rangers and try and nab Nigel Dawes. I think he’s the ideal player for Hemsky’s triggerman. Would they maybe take a chance on Pitkanen?