This is Rob Schremp. Hall of Fame writer Jim Matheson mentioned his name today in the EJ as an asset that might move this deadline. Matty said “maybe Lowe decides farmhands Pouliot, Rob Schremp and JF Jacques aren’t going to play for him. Again, one of the kids might move.”
Whenever Matheson says that kind of thing you have to believe at some level there may be interest, even if it is just Lowe passing along information for a local newspaper man who goes all the way back to the Boys on the Bus.
However, since we:
- have a brain
- are able to talk about this without regard to deadlines or word limits (although Mathesen wrote more today in the EJ than he did in the 90s)
- can sort of map out needs for the other teams
perhaps we can identify teams that would have an interest in these three (I’m always tempted to sing that old theme song from that Wizard of Oz animated cartoon: “We’re three sad souls, oh me oh my…..”) and therefore speculate about return.
Generally speaking, it is very unlikely that a team loading up for a Stanley run would have any interest at all in these three players. They are unproven forwards who would probably be HS for the entire playoffs and as such if a GM in Anaheim or Ottawa or Detroit is calling the chances are that he’s asking for Marty Reasoner instead or Marc Pouliot.
Now that we’ve sliced the list in half, here are the teams worth talking about:
- Boston: This is the first interesting team, as the Bruins could clearly use a player like JF Jacques. A trade to the Bruins is a possibility imo for Jacques, with names like Chistov or a pick a rational return.
- Carolina: They actually look like they could use some young players up front, so we’ll count them in as a possible factor for all three. Again, picks seem more likely than prospects.
- Columbus: Howson has knowledge of him and Hitchcock might be able to unlock Jacques.
- Los Angeles: We talked about Cammaleri earlier today, and I can see any of the three being a throw-in on a multi-player deal.
- Montreal: If they are going to deal Ryder, Pouliot might be a fit here.
- New Jersey: Lou picks up gems all over the place and the Devils have some needs up front.
- Ottawa: They might have an end-of-the-roster role for a guy like Pouliot who has shown flashes at the NHL level. Call him Vermette insurance.
- Phoenix: The Coyotes seem to have some traction now, and have a Jacques-type (except better) in Carcillo. I can see Gretzky having interest in Schremp, though.
- Pittsburgh: Pouliot had some chem once upon a time with Crosby, so it’s worth putting in here if only because if it turns out I can claim credit.
- St. Louis: This is an interesting match for the Oilers. They could really use some young forwards for the organization and they had a large number of picks one year ago (5 in the top 44) and they have their first and second round picks this season plus Atlanta’s second round pick. Kekalainen loves Euro’s though, so maybe they ask for Mikhnov.
- Vancouver: Based on their 4th line the other night any of the three should be of interest but Pouliot could help them right now.
All the other teams are either loading up for a run or in the same boat as Edmonton so will wait until the off-season. Either way, it looks like picks coming back for these men or other failed prospects like Chistov.