Lowe in North Takoma

This is Stephane Goulet, one of many prospects Kevin Lowe will be watching this weekend as he gets ready for what may be an active deadline.

Goulet hasn’t done a whole lot so far in the AHL this season (17gp 2-3-5) but there are some others who are worth looking at and may see NHL action before the end of the season.

Let’s put them in reasonable categories.

WORTHY OF A CALLUP: Leading this list would be goalie Jeff Deslauriers. He is tied for 12th in league SP (.918) and has been Springfield’s best player on many nights. Rob Schremp is certainly qualified in this category based on stats and the Oilers are going to have to look at him at the NHL level sooner or later. If they don’t call him up now, when will they? He is what he is, time to give him a prolonged look. Marc Pouliot perhaps has one more chance to show his stuff and despite inconsistent counting numbers (decent offense, not much +/- although likely doing heavy lifting) may actually get the call sooner than later. Patrick Thoresen is down on a conditioning stint and is probably clear of the rest of the Springfield roster at this time. Liam Reddox would qualify in this category except for injury and even JF Jacques is interesting with a nice push of late (9gp, 3-5-8 E) although he has not played since mid-January. Tim Sestito has been mentioned a lot by coach Buchberger as an agitator and a role player and on a management team made up of them we shouldn’t underestimate his ability to impress. Mathieu Roy is a player whose health is the biggest question mark but has already had some time in the show.

BUILDING A RESUME: Colin McDonald has been exposed based on plus minus and really hasn’t supplied top 6F offense. This is his first year pro but he’ll have to be better in order to have an NHL career. Slava Trukhno is not a quality 5×5 performer based on the numbers, but his PP totals (3-6-9) are among the best when looking at Oilers AHL prospects. He’s a year away from serious discussion. Devan Dubnyk ranks 5th among AHL rookies in SP (.901) and has had an inconsistent but eventful rookie season in the league. Troy Bodie’s -3 looks pretty good compared to the other forwards and he’s a player who we’ll probably talk a lot about next fall and winter. Sebastien Bisaillon would be in the top category save for injury and he looks to have the MA Bergeron resume amongst Oilers AHL prospects. Stephane Goulet wasn’t doing much early but is 1-3-4, +2 in his last 7 games. Bryan Young is an extreme stay-at-home defender who is +4 with an assist in his last 6 games.

CAN’T STAY HEALTHY: Tyler Spurgeron. Seriously.

SHOWING IMPROVEMENT: Ryan O’Marra pissed someone off to start the year and ended up in the ECHL. Since being recalled he’s been impressive and is 2-3-5, +3 in his last six AHL games.

DANGER, WILL ROBINSON: Danny Syvret is -4 in his last 5 games, Theo Peckham is -7 in his last seven games. Syvret is imo at something of a crossroads (the Oilers are loaded on D and more kids are coming in the fall) but Peckham is just learning the trade and appears to be a blue chip defensive prospect.

Overall I’d say Deslauriers is the most likely callup but it’s worth mentioning again that Schremp has pretty much done everything asked of him.

17 Responses to "Lowe in North Takoma"

1. Dennis says:

Two goals and an assist tonight for Pouliot. First goal was on the PP, second was an ENG but the assist was at evens:)

Gregor had an extended int with Buchy up on his site where Buchy said MP’s been basically carrying the mail down in SF: first line pivot, PP, PK guy plus taking all the big draws.

Jacques was placed on longterm IR today so the rest of his season could be in doubt. This happened after the Bunhy int; he only mentioned he had a lower back injury.

Unless Truk tears it up in the last 20 odd games, looks like the odds would say his best bet is a bottom sixer, no?

Svyret’s pretty much a non-starter at this point, isn’t he?

Good news on Pouliot. He also had 7 shots on goal tonight according to the AHL site. Jacques on long term IR will make it a little more difficult for them to decide to qualify him (they didn’t qualify Winchester a year ago in the same situation) but suspect they’ll retain him because he’s so damn unique (I think it’s you, me and MC who are still on the bandwagon).

The only defense of Trukhno is TOI, we don’t know how much he’s playing. Having said that his season screams role player.

As for Syvret I think he might end up bouncing around for a time and catching on elsewhere. You never know with these guys, his size will always limit him but he does come with the reputation of being able to move the puck and that has value.

3. Dennis says:

Yeah, I forgot the seven SOG’s.

I think getting hurt is the best thing for JFJ if he wants to remain an Oiler. He won’t have any trade value now and unless he goes in a draft day deal, he’s likely to stick around for another camp.

The Oilers lose waiver rights on him come next year so this is his make or break camp like Chimera and Brodziak before him. Same goes for Pouliot in that regard.

What happens with Pouliot has a lot to do with what happens with Stoll. If the Oilers let Jarret go to save money, either to bring in a scoring winger or make room to ink Pitkanen, then you might see:

- 10/83 plus getting tough min
    - 18/13-34 getting secondary tough min
    - 27-89 plus getting soft min

This would allow Pouliot to play fourth line centre and take over primary RH faceoff duties from Stoll.

I’m as sick of the next guy of watching a losing team but with Souray next to untradeable and him being the PP centrepiece, I’d just as soon move Stoll for picks. And I’d do the same for Torres too and used that saved money to find a scoring winger on the FA market for the 27-89 tandem and ink Pitkanen longterm too. Plus, we’ve got to sign Horc for another deal of if you’re feeling really frisky, throw Staios into the pile.

If I were king of the world Stoll would be gone at the deadline, probably Staios too.

I’d pick up a nice pick for Staios and a scoring winger for Stoll and then in summer use Lowe to find that bargain basement Jeff Fassero on the blueline.

My first choice would be to keep Raffi. He’s an enigma but can change a game’s direction in several ways.

5. PunjabiOil says:

Stoll probably carries more value around the league, but the Oilers would find it difficult to replace him on the point on the PP.

I’m not a big fan of Torres, regardless of whether he treads water 5 on 5.

6. Dennis says:

PJO: I’d just as soon trade Stoll and save his money and then next year put Gilbert on the PP.

LT: I’m a Raffi guy as well but I think it’s time to use his and Stoll’s money for a guy for the offensive top six.

It’s only the last couple of years that we’ve considered him a tough min guy but if we’ve got 18-34 anchoring one line to play tough min and 10-83 on another, I’d just as soon try and find a guy for 4.5 mill that can light it up. To that end I’d trade Stoll for that guy and let Raffi go for a pick or a D.

Dennis: I know we’ve talked about that but are there any candidates out there? I mean aside from the obvious ones who aren’t coming no matter.

8. PunjabiOil says:

This is a list of forwards available this summer:

9. Gord says:

The UFA I would sign if we cleared up cap space is Morozov:

He is a right winger……

10. Bendelson says:

Delauriers and Schremp. It seems to be catching on…

I’m with you all the way on the trade front LT.

Stoll’s time might be coming to an end and Stevie Staios… that would be a nice move as well.

I’m also inclined to keep Raffi around – not knowing where they would replace his toughness/experience.

In terms of players to target for trade or free agency I would have Trent Hunter at the top of the list. Nice size, toughness, goal scoring? and the PK. It’s a nice package that could have real interest in a long term stay in Edm? And we could afford him…

Second line next year:
    Torres – Gagner – Hunter.
    It would be interesting to place Gagner in this type of situation (surrounded with toughness and experience). I wonder if they could find the back of the net enough(?).

What do you think?

11. Mr DeBakey says:

The Bucky interview seems to make it clear we won’t be seeing the Hockey Jesus any time soon.

To sum up:
    Pouliot, Deslaurers, injures & career minor leaguers

Hunter is an interesting UFA
    I think I’d like that.

One story has Boston willing to move Kessel for a d-man. I don’t know if the Oilers have the right one – Chorney maybe?

12. Dennis says:

PJO: Fuck, that’s a bad crop to choose from. Can you come up with a list of affordable guys who have like two or three years left on a deal? Frolov isn’t a scorer but he’s super affordable and the Kings must be somewhat intrigued in Pitkanen. Not saying I’d make the deal, just wondering how all the pieces might fit.

LT: I know I’m alone in this but I’d absolutely love to have Sean Avery on this club. I think he’s a guy that could go PVP with 10/83 but I don’t think we can pay him what he’s likely to ask for. Wrong time to pay for what he’d want but fuck I’d like to have him here driving people nuts. Looking at PJO’s list, I think it’s either a trade for us or else we overpay a vet like Satan or Stillman for say two seasons while we wait for Gagner and Cogs to learn how to score some goals themselves.

I’d love to have Avery on this team. He’s what I’m hoping Jacques or another Coke Machine can become.

As for the list, the value is in the secondary guys (Williams) and the Oilers could use them too.

14. Bank Shot says:

I’m hoping beyond hope that Sam Gamgee can usurp the soft minute role by next season.

Then you can play with something like:

Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
    Torres-Horcoff-Pisani(tough 1)
    Moreau-Stoll-Brodziak (tough 2)
    Nilson-Cogliano-Glencross ( or whatever)
    Jacques

That’ll give the Oilers a couple of decent ES lines and keep Horcoff’s point totals in the 45-65 point range. He is going to lose the primo scoring minutes eventually so they might as well do it now so we don’t end up with a 50-60 point guy making $7 million ala Drury.

The AHL feeding system is looking pretty weak at the moment. I’d only bet on O’Marra, and Schremp to become anything more then 4th line/waiver wire material.

15. Jonathan says:

//This is a list of forwards available this summer:

Daymond Langkow, Kristian Huselius, Jason Williams, Andrew Brunette, Pavol Demitra, Cory Stillman, Brian Rolston, Miroslav Satan, Sean Avery, Brendan Shanahan, Martin Straka, Radim Vrbata, Vaclav Prospal, Markus Naslund, Brendan Morrison.//

Add in Mark Recchi and Ladislav Nagy. Not much better, I’m afraid.

Brunette, Stillman, Rolston and Prospal are the guys I’d be keying in on here.

16. PunjabiOil says:

Sean Avery in Edmonton wouldn’t work. He’s dating of the Olsen Twins? Can you imagine one of the Olsen twins living in Edmonton?

Fuck no.

17. Master Lok says:

Is Morrison done? Or can he be at least a 3rd line player still?