Both Cogliano and Gagner are on pace for just shy of 40 for the year, which would mean one of them may rank among the top 5 on the list.
Gagner has been putting up points at a nice pace of late (2-7-9 in his last 8gp) while Cogliano is still on a nice pace (2-5-7 in his last 8gp) despite not getting the PP time 89 is getting in the last couple of games.
Both of them are about to pass some interesting names on the list, so I thought this would be a fun time to put up the 1979-08 numbers.
Here they are, best single season point totals among Oilers rookies:
- Jari Kurri (80-81) 75gp, 32-43-75
- Jason Arnott (93-94) 78gp, 33-35-68
- Dave Lumley (79-80) 80gp, 20-38-58
- Glenn Anderson (80-81) 58gp, 30-23-53
- Raimo Summanen (85-86) 73gp, 19-18-37
- Miro Satan (95-96) 62gp, 18-17-35
- Jaroslav Pouzar (82-83) 74gp, 15-18-33
- Mike Grier (96-97) 79gp, 15-17-32
- Rem Murray (96-97) 82gp, 11-20-31
- David Oliver (94-95) 44gp, 16-14-30
- Ales Hemsky (02-03) 59gp, 6-24-30
- Jozef Beranek (91-92) 58gp, 12-16-28
- Todd Marchant (94-95) 45gp, 13-14-27
- Dean McAmmond (93-94) 45gp, 6-21-27
- Andrew Cogliano (07-08) 56gp, 9-17-26
- Martin Gelinas (89-90) 46gp, 17-8-25
- Mats Lindgren (96-97) 69gp, 11-14-25
- Sam Gagner (07-08) 53gp, 5-20-25
- Scott Fraser (97-98) 29gp, 12-11-23
- Jason Chimera (02-03) 66gp, 14-9-23
- Mike Comrie (00-01) 41gp, 8-14-22
- Jarret Stoll (03-04) 68gp, 10-11-21
Interesting to see how very few Oilers rookies have played a full season as rookies. Only 7 of the 22 listed played over 70 games in their NHL debut. Gagner is 6th on this list in assists and is likely to pass Hemsky and Anderson in that category; he is also the youngest player (as a rookie) on the list.