Sail On, Star of Storhamar

The Philadelphia Flyers claimed Patrick Thoresen off waivers from Edmonton today. It’s a strange move in that Thoresen is clearly a better player than a few roster forwards currently, but these things happen.

A few things we must conclude from this move include:

1. Geoff Sanderson has more trade value.
  2. They are devoted to the men who are on the current roster save the UFA’s.
  3. This isn’t about winning games this season.
  4. Patrick Thoresen is in a better place.

19 Responses to "Sail On, Star of Storhamar"

1. grease trap says:

So, eventually Philly’s going to have an Oilers team that can actually win games?

Well Jason Smith is certainly a winner. I think there’s always a danger to go a little crazy the day a player leaves, and it should be mentioned that Thoresen is not an established NHL player at age 24.

Is he better than some of the current roster players? No question. Is he part of the future?

There was obviously no question about that either.

3. PunjabiOil says:

This isn’t about winning games this season.

Who can Thoresen displace on the Oilers playing roster?

Sanderson. That’s for certain. And as much as I’ve enjoyed Gagner’s season you could convince me Thoresen would have helped more, Cogliano too. MC made those points earlier, they aren’t mine but they’re good points all the same.

How many small guys can a team play (who aren’t capable of a physical game)?

1) Gagner
    2) Cogliano
    3) Nilsson

Nilsson has shown a lot more offense than Thoreson has even shown.

The Oilers were trying to sneak Thoreson through waivers to help Springfield.

6. Slipper says:

Agreed with LT. When he was up this year, Thor played some ugly minutes and situations with the likes of Stoll and Reasoner. Not the plush, cherry minutes alotted to those other kids.

7. PunjabiOil says:

I respectfully disagree.

Sanderson is press-box material anyways, but like you said, he has more trade value.

As for Gagner:

I also think it’s debatable that Thorosen helps the Oilers more than Gagner does. I mean sure, he went EV -3 last year, but he did that playing on the 4th line, limited minutes against nobodies. The question is how he would fare playing top 6 against somebodies? With little offense in his game, it’s very possible he’d bleed GA (though -4 in 17 games this year can already be classified in that category). There is also the shootout impact, like it or not.

Cogliano – same boat IMO

In short, I think it’s debatable that Thoresen helps the team win more than the above mentioned names. And even if he does, the impact is minimal. He’s a dime a dozen player, and to take away at-bats from Gagner and Cogliano in favour of an fringe NHL player doesn’t make sense in my books.

Of course I’m heavily opinionated. I could be wrong.

8. Tim says:

He was an extra part on the lower part of the roster. He culd have a serviceable NHL career, but his upside is not large in any stretch. This, and some of the other moves to come in the next 4 days, allow us to reduce the number of pro contracts we have ( we were maxed in that regard)and maybe help us in signing more promising depth and MAYBE to facilitate a trade or two, do you think?

9. Vic Ferrari says:

Well said Lowetide. I’ll echo slipper’s point as well, since apparently it isn’t obvious. I make Thoresen to have played the third toughest minutes in the NHL this season, trailing only Willie Mitchell and Michal Handzus. He coped well with it too, by eye, by the simple results, and by the underlying numbers.

He was a useful NHL player on a team that has had precious few of them. He’s the kind of forward that Philly really needed even before the injuries hit. He should fit in well there as a quality depth forward.

Granted, he doesn’t look to be a guy that will ever generate enough offense to be more than a mid-level player. And he’s not big enough to make a physical impact.

Still, a decent player with no quit in his game. I hope he does well.

10. Loxy says:

So, should I start taking bets on whether Marty goes at the deadline?

Loxy: He might be gone, Marty can do some things (PK, FO circle). Any bets on him being dealt to BOS and then re-signed by the Oil in summer?

Deja Vu all over again?

12. MikeP says:

Nope, hard-luck Marty only gets dealt when the team makes a run. Otherwise he’s blocking shots to preserve 5-2 losses right up until April.

13. PDO says:

I hope by 3:00 EST, Marty Reasoner is a Red Wing.

14. Dennis says:

Loxy: I think it might depend on whether the Oilers feel Matt “Dean Martin” Greene can still get laughs without Marty “Jerry Lewis” Reasoner at his side.

Seriously, I like both guys and I’ve been a Reasoner fan since his damn good ’03 season but the guy’s limited, he’s not getting any faster and there’s no way we should be giving him time in a dead last season when you could be spending it on a Pouliot type just to see if that kid has anything worth fussing over. And if he doesn’t? Well, Reasoner types will be available in droves come the summer if you really want to look for them. In fact, some of them might even call you when camp opens.

But I’m so disillusioned with the club right now that, even though I’m not saying chemistry isn’t important, I’d bet the Oilers are keeping him around or keep him around past Tues just because the guy’s funny.

15. Loxy says:

Deja Vu all over again?

I suppose.. but without all the good stuff that followed.

16. heed says:

we have a lot of guys who don’t even have that going for them so i figure it’s a good enough reason.

17. Dennis says:

Thor’s played his first two shifts as a Flyer alongside Richards and Hartnell.

18. Schitzo says:

Good to see him find a home. He was useful enough, but with 46-51-20 locking up the 4th line and some combination of 18-34-13-19-16 on the third line, where the heck do you play him?

Picking up GlenX was basically Thor’s ticket out of town.

(Unless he could play first line centre…?)

19. Stuart van says:

Thor’s having a good season at Lugano: 43 21 37 58. Any chance he’ll return to the Oil?