50 Contracts

This is Jonas Almtorp. He is one of the “50 contracts” the Edmonon Oilers currently have in their employ. They were at 49 with Patrick Thoresen gone via waivers but by signing Cody Wild they are now back at the outer marker (50).

Almtorp is a candidate to be dropped from the list and in fact with the signing of Tim Sestito yesterday it’s quite likely Almtorp, Troy Bodie or Fredrik Johansson won’t be retained. All three might be released this summer.

It’s important to know these names moving forward because the list should experience some major turnover this summer what with more college signings and some trades no doubt to come.

Here then (to the best of my knowledge) is the Edmonton Oilers 50 Man List (by position, and in approx. order of importance at this time). I will use an asterisk for summer RFA’s, two of them for UFA’s and if there’s a player I think might be in danger of losing his spot on the list I’ll bold the name.

GOAL
  9. Theo Peckham
  10. Sebastien Bisaillon
  11. Bryan Young
  12. Allan Rourke**
  13. Danny Syvret*
  14. TK Kemp*
  15. Cody Wild (new contract)

CENTER

2. Sam Gagner
  3. Raffi Torres
  4. Ethan Moreau
  5. Curtis Glencross**
  6. JF Jacques*
  7. Slava Trukhno
  8. Tim Sestito (new contract)
  9. Geoff Paukovich

RIGHT WING

1. Ales Hemsky
  2. Robert Nilsson*
  3. Fernando Pisani
  4. Zack Stortini*
  5. Geoff Sanderson**
  6. Liam Reddox
  7. Stephane Goulet
  8. Colin McDonald
  9. Troy Bodie*
  10. David Rohlfs

I believe those are the 50 contracts. There are 4 free agents (Sanderson, Glencross, Reasoner, Rourke) so that makes 46. Add to that the 6 rfa’s in bold (players who they could reasonably cut loose with little fear of losing the next Scott Ferguson) and the number is 40.

Here is the list of players who are either UFA or possible college grads the Oilers must be thinking about signing:

1. LW Curtin Glencross
  2. C Marty Reasoner
  3. D Taylor Chorney
  4. D Jeff Petry
  5. C Chris Vande Velde
  6. RW Alexander Bumagin
  7. D Jozef Hrabel
  8. LW Alexei Mikhnov
  9. LW Linus Omark
  10. C Robby Dee
  11. LW Matt Glasser
  12. C Michail Zhukov
  13. G Bryan Pitton

I’ve probably missed a few. Added to that are college free agents (the Penner tree), European free agents (the Thoresen tree) and of course actual free agents. From the above list, the players I’ll be watching closesly for are Europeans Bumagin, Hrabel and Mikhnov plus the college defenseman Chorney.

**Any errors please let me know and I’ll make the changes.

25 Responses to "50 Contracts"

1. danny says:

LT (im too hungover to investigate with any reliabilty so its best I just ask)

I thought that the last time I checked, Glencross’s # of games played would fall short of UFA by a few games? Isnt he a RFA?

I’d hate to think any of his hustle id because of a contract year.

2. doritogrande says:

Why did we sign Tim Sestito again?

3. speeds says:

I’m not sure on this, but when Wild signed I had thought I read he was on a ATO contract, which I don’t think counts against the 50 contracts (but haven’t checked that).

Kind of a moot point, in that Wild will very likely be signed to a real contract at some point, but I think it leaves room for one more signing at the moment.

4. doritogrande says:

speeds:

Yeah I was trumpeting that also, though at this point I’m not entirely sure.

The Chorney scored the lone goal for UND last night in their loss to Denver. Playing for Bronze in the WCHA tonight. Nash’s Big Red lost to Harvard also, they play in the ECAC consolation final, and proabably won’t make the Frozen Four because of it.

5. Bruce says:

LT: Thanks for the list.

Zack Stortini is also RFA this summer.

6. IceDragoon says:

speeds…

I think that was the first word out when Wild was about to join the Falcons, but he has since signed a three-year entry level contract.

service=page&page=NewsPage&
    articleid=357615

You know what to do with the spaces.
    ;-)

7. dstaples says:

Great stuff, Lowetide. In fact, your recent spurt of posts has distracted me from blaming Craig MacTavish for starting Roloson. Of course, now we all know the reason why that happened. . .

P.S. I personally hope the Oil re-sign Rourke.

8. Mr DeBakey says:

You have to think the Oilers will sign either Rourke or Kemp as veteran depth.

After the Canada West final, The Journal strongly implied that Harlan Anderson would be in the system next week. No details – Springfield or Stockton, contract or try-out.

9. IceDragoon says:

Danny…

Other than signing him to a new contract, the Oilers would need to make the second round of the playoffs, and GlenX would have to play in every game, in order to retain his rights.

The young man played three years on AHL contracts before Anaheim signed then traded him to Columbus in ’06.

10. danny says:

i found my answer, I thought he needed over 80 games to be an UFA, its actually under 80 games. He will have only played 71 games so UFA it is.

11. danny says:

Thanks ID

12. Pat H says:

LT: I realize you gave a caveat about possibly missing guys from your list of who the Oilers are thinking about signing. I’m just curious as to whether you left Sanderson off of that list deliberately?

Realistically, I think that he doesn’t have a prayer of getting re-signed, so if you consciously omitted him, I understand. That said, I personally find it troubling that Reasoner WOULD be on that list, while Sanderson is not. Don’t get me wrong, I think you’re quite right to include Reasoner on the list. But the fact that he is a possibility, while Sanderson is not, really bothers me. Why? With a fair number of offensively talented kids, if (IF, IF IF) you are going to sign one of your UFA’s, I think Sanderson offers the ability to help the kids out much more than Reasoner (and I think I’ve said before that I’ve always been a Reasoner fan). A slower and aging Sanderson has offensive accomplishments that make him an infinitely better mentor for these kids than Reasoner. And while Reasoner brings some nice utility skills like penalty killing and faceoff work, etc., that’s hardly something that is lacking on this team to begin with.

13. Josh says:

Pat: I agree about Sanderson probably offering more for the kids. I think the debate must also include the fact that Reasoner will contribute more to winning a game then Sanderson will.

Geoff doesn’t really bring much anymore, and for a guy destined to be your third line player he doesn’t know his own zone very well.

I think LT was assuming the Oilers would pick Reasoner over Sanderson b/c of this issue, and not necessarily who will help the kids. And to be honest he has not done much this year and the kids are doing fine.

If you look at our line up we really don’t even have room for Sanderson anyways so sort of a moot point.

14. Pat H says:

Josh:

I agree that really, it should be a moot point, in that neither Reasoner nor Sanderson should have a spot on this team next year. That said, if there is a gun to my head to take one of the two, I think that for the sake of the development of this team, I take Sanderson.

I also just don’t think Sanderson has been given much of an opportunity this year, though I realize he doesn’t necessarily have to be a guy getting great minutes. But at bottom, it’s clear that Reasoner is MacT’s fair-haired boy, and Sanderson – injured or not – has been used sparingly, possibly even hesitantly. But again, I still don’t think Reasoner’s on-ice contributions are sufficient to put him head and shoulders above Sanderson if you had to choose between the two. And again, I’m a huge Reasoner fan, and wish him nothing but the best. But yeesh, the guy is now -17, which is maybe a product of getting hard minutes or something like that (I don’t really comprehend the Desjardins stuff). I love the guy, but for the love of God, turn the page already on him.

Bruce: Thanks for the Stortini correction. I keop overlooking the poor guy.

PatH: Sanderson imo is done. No shame in that, he was a terrific player for a long time. Reasoner looks to me to be a MacT guy and could get a two-year deal (seriously). Tim McCarver extended his career for a long time as the catcher for Steve Carlton, Marty might have another contract from the Oilers based on his ability to block shots on the PK with whatever is handy.

16. jon k says:

Wow, don’t check the blog for a day or two and there’s a half dozen new posts. Good work as always LT, now to dive in.

17. jon k says:

I’m not sure how a double post is even possible with blogger, but whatever.

Anyway, I agree in large part with your assessment LT. For the list of potential signings you listed, I’ll guess that none of the Russians (Zhukov, Bumagin, Mikhnov) will be signed, nor will Dee and Glasser.

That would make 5 more names off the list. If the remaining were signed we would be at 48 contracts, one space likely for a college signing (B. Nash?) and one RW or D UFA. A trade for whichever position isn’t addressed by UFA and that’ll be our contract situation for next year methinks.

I remember the later two players (Dee and Glasser) being talked about after draft day. Patience was espoused with them, saying how they were long shots and if they were to go anywhere it would take time. Time has shown us the way I suppose, though in retrospect it seems like the most obvious of wisdom when it comes to the draft.

18. Mr DeBakey says:

As of right now there is no way Dee & Glasser ever get contracts.
    This is known as the Paukovich syndrome.

No Nash this year. Too much too fast.

With Pitton coming, Fisher [under.900 in the ECHL] is done; I wonder if they offer Sorochan a chance to finish the season n Stockton?

Another name is Charlie Kronschnabel. MacT said nice things about him during training camp, but “we have no room for him now”

19. Asiaoil says:

We need to sort out the goalies. Particularly since DD needs a serious development year in the AHL next season – not playing once or twice a month as happened in January and March this season.

Deslaurier has shown zero ability to make the next step in 4 years as a pro – he’s still an average AHL goalie at best (#23 in SP and barely ahead of DD). So I think we have reached a decision point with him since keeping him as the starter in the AHL will harm Dubnyk’s development from here on.

JDD is not ready for the NHL – even as a backup – so IMHO it’s time to trade him or release him this summer. The guy has had a good opportunity to show what he’s got over the past 2 seasons and it’s AHL average or even slightly below average. I’d be happiest if we dealt JDD (questionable if he’s worth anything) and brought in an AHL vet to mentor DD. There is a chance he might be ready to be a backup by the end of next year if he can make the next step as an AHL starter next season – and a Garon-DD tandem may be OK in 09-10.

As for Stockton – Pitton should get that slot next year as the starter and let him go from there.

20. PunjabiOil says:

Yup, I agree. Time to start developing Dubnyk – he’s simply not played enough games and the Oilers invested too much into him (14th overall) to let him rot on the bench for a 2nd tier goalie.

Agreed with LT – I think Reasoner will be brought back, and I agree with that move. That’s not to say Pouliot shouldn’t be brought back as well.

21. Asiaoil says:

Yeah I’d be fine with Horcoff, Cogs, MAP and Reasoner as our centers next year – with Gagner also getting worked into the mix. It’s a young group but next year is still development time.

22. Scott says:

One thing I think we need to keep in mind is that Lowe will probably want to stay away from being at 50 contracts again. It’s been mentioned as a hindrance enough times that it will probably be something he’ll stay away from (or at least he should). I think we’re probably looking at a situation where he won’t want to go higher than 48 contracts in order to have room to wiggle later in the season.

That said, I think most of the guys bolded probably don’t get renewed: Fisher, Rourke, Syvret, Kemp, Almtorp, Johansson, Sanderson. I think it’s reasonable to expect new contracts for Reasoner and Glencross, which leaves us at 43 and 5 new spots to get to 48.

I think it’s likely that two of those five spots go to Mikhnov (he was mentioned by Matheson in the Journal this morning) and Chorney. That leaves three more for UFA signings and the rest of the list. Petry will definitely get a spot if he wants to come out which narrows the list even further.

It should be an interesting summer.

23. Jamie says:

That pic of Almtorp is priceless. He looks out of breath, or out of place, or both.

Almtorp and Johansson have flopped in N.America. Both bounced between Stockton and Springfield this year.

On a wider note, it is becoming all the more common for middle-of-the-pack Swedes (like Almtorp and Johansson) to try to make the jump across the ocean only to be disenchanted among the rank-and-file of the AHL. The good players often prove themselves first in the Elite Series and then make the move. Neither Almtorp nor Johansson were marquee players by any stretch of the word prior to joining the Oil’s farm team.

The pic of Almtorp says it all.

24. Ducey says:

Surely there must be a way to release/buy out guys from their contracts?

Couldn’t they get rid of a Rolfs or a Paukovich this offseason?

25. Ducey says:

Well to answer my own question I looked at the CBA. It looks like they can buy out a player between June 15 and June 30 as per the Standard Players Contract (SPC). The catch is the cost. Section 13 of the SPC reads in part:

(d) If the Club elects to terminate this SPC pursuant to this Paragraph 13, it shall be
    obligated to pay to the Player, in equal semi-monthly installments, to be paid in
    accordance with the payroll payment schedule applicable to the Club’s Active
    Roster, over twice the remaining term of the SPC (the “Buy-Out Period”):
    (i) if the Player is under 26 years of age at the time the termination is
    effective, an amount equal to 1/3 of, or
    (ii) if the Player is 26 years of age or older at the time the termination is
    effective, an amount equal to 2/3 of the total fixed amount of the Player’s Paragraph 1 NHL
    Salary, for the unexpired fixed-term of this SPC, reduced by any advance payment of Paragraph
    1 Salary received by the Player prior to the date the termination is effective.
    (e) Upon termination, the Player shall immediately be an Unrestricted Free Agent and
    shall no longer be obligated to perform under this SPC.

So if I read this right, they can pay in installments spread over twice the term of the contact, the amount equal to 1/3 of a Rolfs or Paukovich’s NHL salary. If they agreed to pay Rolfs $600,000 (as an example)if he made the NHL, they could pay him $200,000 for each year he has left on his SPC and dump him. Is it worth it?