Avalanche at Oilers, G76/07-08

This is Stan Weir attempting to smile. Shortly after the picture was taken, the team photographer (Marvin Hamlisch) put the camera down and said “smile, dummy!”
Marvin, now Mrs. Arthur Smith, paid a heavy price that day.

Stan Weir doesn’t like the Avalanche. He doesn’t like teams that change their names and he still thinks they’re the Rockies. No one has the nerve to tell him.

Stan Weir donates blood frequently, just not his own.

Stan Weir doesn’t read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.

Stan Weir can kill two stones with one bird.

Stan Weir once ate his entire birthday cake before his friends could tell him there was a stripper in it.

Stan Weir will bring us wealth, gold, silver, fast cars and women with legs to the sky (NOTE: for female readers, please delete previous line and think of something nice for yourself. For my wife it would be “sleeping in Saturday morning and having my husband make sure the kids don’t wake me up”).

Ladies and gentlemen, Stan Weir.

177 Responses to "Avalanche at Oilers, G76/07-08"

1. Black Dog says:

That’s a beauty LT.

2. Muller says:

IS Garon starting or is he hurt?

No word yet, if Roloson starts today I think we can assume injury.

4. Scarlett says:

TSN reported Garon has been fighting an injury. It’s obviously not bad enough to call up another goalie, but yikes, it would be nice to see Garon in there.

5. danny says:

A nagging injury would be supported by MacT’s quote last weekend about them needing Roli to win some games for them down the stretch. I thought ‘need’ was an odd choice of words for their backup.

It restores more faith in Garon for me moving forward as well.

6. HBomb says:

Ironic that an injury to Garon might be the downfall of this team. Anyone want to dispute his candidacy for team MVP? Anyone?

I was coming here today expecting to see the use of the line “Last Chance Texaco”….because this is where we are.

Just don’t let Tyler “Pudgy Bastard” Arnason be the one who buries us. Or worse yet, Ryan Smyth. The honorable death would be an old-school 3G-2A game from Joe Sakic…..

7. Black Dog says:

Journal reporting today that Garon has an ankle injury suffered a week ago which would explain Roli’s string of starts (or at least Thursday).

Apparently it is bad enough that he could not practice yesterday. I believe MacT said that they did not expect it to be as bad as it turned out top be.

8. danny says:

Heh, Oilers remain mum about the injury, ride the crest when Roli wins a few and after the Van game the old reliables leak the garon injured story.

Hopefully this motivates Roli to steal one.

9. Mr DeBakey says:

At 3:16pm on the Oilers-Canucks thread, a verry savvy commenter said:

Garon was run over by some goof in an ugly uniform
    just before he started sitting – minor injury?

10. Bruce says:

I guess this explains both MacT’s “bad” decision for the Canucks and his “good” one in San Jose. Shitty time for an injury … I do seem to recall Garon really getting creamed in one of his last games.

Dennis wrote (at the bottom of the Vancouver game day thread):

Finally, I think 25 gets slagged because to whom more is given, more is expected.

Well sure, Dennis, isn’t that the same reason you slag Souray all the time?

I have very high expectations of Pitkanen cuz I have him in my keeper league pool and have watched him develop. He’s played his A game maybe 10 times this season.

The other thing I look for in a big money player is a big GAME player who can raise his game, or at least maintain a steady game if he’s that sort of player, at crunch time. One metric is the guy’s performance against divisional rivals. Here’s Pitkanen’s:

vs. VAN: 4 GP, 0-0-0, -7 ….. 3 GM
    vs. CAL: 4 GP, 0-0-0, -1 ….. 2 GM
    vs. MIN: 3 GP, 1-0-1, +1 ….. 3 GM
    vs. COL: 3 GP, 0-1-1, even … 3 GM
    ————————————–
    vs NW: 14 GP, 1-1-2, -7 ….. 11 GM

So pardon me if I’m not impressed, especially by his performance against the two Canadian rivals (8 GP, 0 points, -8). As a fan I take those games pretty seriously, and I’d like a little statistical evidence that our players do as well.

Those games missed don’t impress either. That episode of the Denver flu last week — in an absolutely HUGE game — may not have been Joni’s fault, but it’s been symptomatic of his season. It’s maybe not fair to equate that with that old cliché “intestinal fortitude”, but that is the area where Pitkanen needs to show something IMO.

7 games left, all against divisional rivals. Time to step it up, Joni.

And time to step it up, Oilers. This year the Oil are 5-4-1 against the East, 11-9-0 against the Central, 12-6-2 against the Pacific, and 9-14-2 within the Northwest. That looks even less flattering when you realize the Northwestern teams are 16-5-4 against the Oilers. It’s no mystery why Oilers are on the outside looking in …

Points within division:
    1. Vancouver 31
    1. Colorado 31
    3. Minnesota 29
    4. Calgary 28
    5. Edmonton 20

Put another way, points outside division:
    1. Minnesota 60
    2. Edmonton 59
    3. Calgary 58
    4. Vancouver 55
    5. Colorado 53

11. dstaples says:

LT, can you explain to me this Stan Weir stuff. I missed it the first time around, wasn’t an Oilogosphere reader. . .

12. dstaples says:

Bruce, as someone who has been in bed all week with a cold that had made my head feel like an Irish Rover’s song, I have sympathy for Pitkanen missing the Colorado game. It’s wise to rest if you’re really sick, as I’ve been repeating to my wife.

I thought Pitkanen actually looked very good against Vancouver, although he could have been stronger on the Sedin shot that led to a goal against. A few times out there, he was really flying.

I agree with your overall point, though, that we’ve only seen Pitkanen’s “A” game about 10 times this year.

It’s tantalizing, but not $5 million a year over 5 years tantalizing. He’s got to be more consistent.

But so does Gilbert, Smid, Greb, all their 25 and under d-men.

The good news is that when defenceman hit the age of 26, 27, they start to figure that out, as “Mean” Matt Greene’s solid play has demonstrated this year. On a per minute basis, he’s made fewer errors — blunders that directly contribute to goals against — than any other Oilers defenceman.

13. Tyler says:

During the 2006 Cup run, LT would post a picture of one of the glory boys at the top of his game thread. Good results were occurred with threads featuring Mr. Weir. The statements are a kind of a takeoff on the Chuck Norris facts. Weir now waiting to find out if that son of a bitch Fenwick did, in fact, mortally wound Weir’s mojo. I guess today will go a long way towards giving us the the answer. If so I fully intend to punch him in the face on the next chance I get.

14. Tyler says:

Bruce –

You posted the Corsi for the Canucks-Oilers game the other night. Was that a straight ahead Corsi or was it just at evens?

15. dstaples says:

Please bear with me, one more questions . . . (I intend to write about this Weir thing myself, so I want to get to the bottom of it)

What are the “Chuch Norris facts”?

16. dstaples says:

Cripes! Just read that Matt Fenwick link in regards to Stan Weir.

I’d be more angry with Matt, except I did a number of various voodoo type things that ensured the unlovely and untalented Flames would lose to Tampa Bay.

17. Doogie says:

I figured out halfway through that every game of the Finals I watched, the Flames lost.

Suffice to say, once I worked that out, they were fucked.

18. Bruce says:

I have sympathy for Pitkanen missing the Colorado game.

Yeah, me too, like I said it probably wasn’t his fault, just symptomatic of his season. Those divisional games have killed us (esp. early in the season), and Joni’s hardly been part of the solution. He’s far from alone, and it’s unfair to single him out. But as you say, David, the guy isn’t making much of a case for $5 MM+ in my view.

BTW, Coach PB 9617 says that Oilers are a different team without Joni in the lineup. Not much different, if the record against the NW means anything:

Joni in: 5-8-1, .393
    Joni out: 4-6-1, .409

And that said, I’d much rather have Joni in the lineup than not for these big games. Let’s hope he brings his A game today.

David Staples: At the beginning of the ’06 playoffs, I’d use a famous Oiler from the past (Brett Callighen, Lee Fogolin, etc) and for some reason Stan Weir won every time.

So we rode him all the way to G7 SCF, laughing like idiots. That was such a beauty team.

20. Dennis says:

Bruce: But 25 isn’t as of yet hamstringing our budget and isn’t that a consideration? Pitkanen’s still a deal for what he’s making and I don’t think Souray has the all around ability of a Pitkanen or else I’d be Much harder on him.

Fuck, it’s weird to be watching such an important game on Sat afternoon. It has happened before, ie G6 vs Dal in ’97, G2 at Dal in ’01 and two games in Det in ’06; still doesn’t feel right though.

Overall, I have a bad feeling about this one, though. On Thurs I was jacked for the game all day and it was the first time in a long time that the clock went slower on an Oilers game day and I remembered what it was to really believe in this team again. But when the game started I had a terrible feeling that it just wasn’t in the cards. Today, I’ve just got this vibe that it’s 2-0 Avs pretty quickly.

I obviously want to be wrong though because I’d have to encounter another slow clock day this coming Monday as well.

21. sacamano says:

Whooooooo! Penner

22. Bruce says:

There’s that Hemsky-Penner chemistry we’ve been waiting for. Yowser.

23. Tyler says:

This is kind of stupid on Staios’ part.

24. PDO says:

Hard to get a better start than that.

I like Staios fighting there. Blood, piss, vinegar… use it all.

Beauty goal… keep it going boys.

Pouliot would have scored!

:-)

26. Dennis says:

Scratch that 2-0 Avs prediction, will you?;)

On another note, I’d feel much better for 2-5 NEVER played a shift with the kids line.

27. Tyler says:

Oilers got away with a hook in their own end there on a scoring chance for the Avs and then draw one in the Avs end. The Hockey Gods look to be on board.

28. danny says:

Roli is giving up some pretty large rebounds on some not so tough shots.

29. PDO says:

Hey Bruce..

Pitkanen came to play, and I think that’s something we can both smile about. He’s jumping into the play, and has already had two fantastic scoring chances – one the puck bounced on him, and the second he hit the post on.

30. sacamano says:

Whooooo. Gagne!

31. PDO says:

I want to have Hemsky’s babies.

32. danny says:

I love Hemsky :D

33. Tyler says:

I mentioned last game about the Oilers being able to throw more offensive talent on the ice after a PK than they have in years. Paid off there.

34. Bruce says:

Well, that’s debatable based on actual results, but I think part of our difference is that to some extent I’m judging him on what he reportedly thinks he’s worth on the next contract, not what he’s making on the current one. Which would be a reasoanble deal if the guy played anywhere close to all the games. (Yeah, I know, Souray same thing)

Well, Pitkanen’s “all around ability” doesn’t appear to include even a tiny bit of physical hockey, which as you know is high on my priority list. So he’s got holes in his games too. I will agree that he looks All-World on his good days, and when he’s really got his skating legs can render the physical game more or less irrelevant. But between consistency and durability issues, those days haven’t occurred often enough for my liking.

35. Bruce says:

PS: PDO, so far Joni’s really got the jump in his game today. Which is a Real good thing.

36. Sarah says:

Whooooo! Pisani.

37. Tyler says:

The lads came to play today. Now they just need to get one more, finish ‘em off and send me to the office.

38. Tyler says:

Also, a tip of the cap to Sarah, the third female poster at this site (Louise and the guy who accidentally used his girlfrind’s blogger account, IIRC).

39. Dennis says:

It might not be as an Oiler — though I don’t know why not considering we need a guy we can sign for fuckall and who has a chance to outperform his contract — but 78 is an NHLer.

He’s just starting to do all the little things right and before the goal scoring shift he created the 3-on-1 rush that lead to the PP because he denied the Av access on the right wall which allowed 19-34 to break away. Then on the 34 goal, he starts it all by removing Liles from the puck.

Kid’s a player.

40. sacamano says:

Sadly, that “Sarah” was me, accidently using my wife’s account. She was logged in when they scored, and I had to get here quick.

Welcome, Sarah.

Dennis: Clean up the language until Louise can tell her about you. :-)

Pouliot. Nice.

42. Tyler says:

Alright, false alarm. Clearly, still no girls in the clubhouse.

Dammit! We gotta make this blog more attractive to women!

What happened to Loxy’s site?

44. Baroque says:

Wealth, gold, silver and fast cars are fine – how about a man who will not only cook breakfast for you, but clean the dang kitchen himself afterwards? (Including loading and running the dishwasher – filling the sink with dirty dishes for someone else to wash later is NOT “doing the dishes!”) :)

Three to zip is a nice start for Edmonton.

Baroque: Yeah, we killed that guy. Made us look bad. :-)

46. PunjabiOil says:

Hard to argue that Pouliot hasn’t earned himself a one-way contract next year.

For some reason, I don’t want to lose Marty Reasoner though. He’s been playing pretty well of late, and despite what the numbers show, I think he’s a guy who can do well 5 on 5 on the 4th line.

Of course Marty is probably going to have to be retained at equivalent salary as this year – and I doubt he’d re-sign to be a 13th/14th forward.

What will happen on this front?

47. Baroque says:

And don’t worry about doing anything special. Sometimes the most attractive thing to women is intelligence.

(Or maybe it’s just me…)

48. Tyler says:

She took it down. My guess is that now that she’s becoming a media personality, she maybe doesn’t want that much information out there.

49. uni says:

WTF, this is what happens when I go out to get some groceries. To think I watched that entire Vancouver game. I thought it was some sort of Yahoo sports ticker error for a bit. Refreshed 3 times and still 3 goal to 0 Oil, yowsa.

50. Dennis says:

Not sure why this ran past my mind but when the 4th line tried to make the extra pass and score the pretty goal and in the process incurred Jim Hughson’s wrath, thinking of the 4th line acting like they’re Hemsky or the kids reminded me of a line from the massively underrated “Original Kings Of Comedy” when Steve Harvey’s talking about the role of churches in the black community:

“You got young people meetin’, old people meetin’ errybody meetin”!!

Seriously, you have to watch that movie. I don’t like Bernie Mac’s set but everything else is good and Harvey owns the place when he comes out to join the segments together.

As for the game, there might not be any room for Pouliot give the big Sesito signing.

A couple of things that are very encouraging going forward:

1: I know the Oilers PP hasn’t clicked yet – and that Ty’s down on them because of their low SOG total and high shooting % – but it’s been running hot enough for long enough that I think it’s a damn good bet to place 15th or higher come ’09.

2: Oilers will be 14-5 in their last 19 home shows if they manage to hold on to today’s lead. We really need to assert the home advantage and if you do that’s like points in the bank before the season even starts.

Going forward I think the D’s way more of a concern then the forwards and if we can somehow bring in a vet without having to give up too much talented youth in the process, you have to believe this team’s no worse than 8th in ’09.

51. Baroque says:

Then maybe you should get some more groceries and check back in at the end of the second period.

52. Bruce says:

Wow, nice period. Looks like the Boys all brought their A game, at least so far. Hemsky was dazzling, two great assists, and was flying all period.

Little plays that caught my eye:

– Dustin Penner busting his ass to join, and finish, that rush. The big guy can really motor if he can keep up to Ales when he’s going like that.

– Zack Stortini reading the play on the rush and instead of dumping it in for the Plan A deep forecheck, gaining the blueline and making a nice pass to Brodziak in the high slot for a direct shot on goal.

– Later, Brodziak making a nice feed to GlenX at the bottom of the circle. I hope these guys don’t start getting “too fancy” and forget their meat and potatoes, but they were driving the play again that period, and showing some nice puck control in the process.

– Denis Grebeshkov getting juked by a nifty inside move by Paul Stastny, but recovering by wheeling to poke the puck off Stastny’s stick and out of danger. Love that never-quit attitude, even when it seems the other guy has got the better of you.

– Sam Gagner’s wrist shot.

– Marc Pouliot working the cycle game with Reasoner and Pisani, making the right decision again and again, finally rewarded with an assist on Pisani’s snapper through Reasoner’s screen. Excellent stuff from the third unit.

– Roli playing OK, scaring me only a bit. I thought he made a bad decision to keep the play alive late in the period when Oil were disorganized, eventually cost us Pitkanen’s crosschecking (!) penalty that has a minute to kill to get the second period off to a good start. Big kill coming up.

– And how about that Jeff Rebuttal?

53. Tania says:

FYI, female here, lurking and reading the comments but too busy sending text messages about this game to comment.

So who do we cheer for when the falmes take on the nucks on Tuesday? I live in Vancouver with a bunch of die-hard nuck fans.

My sister’s getting married next Saturday. Clearly she didn’t take the hockey schedule into account. I’ve emailed her the acceptable times to get married for future reference in case this one doesn’t work out. I’m her MOH so I’m legally obligated to be there but it totally sucks as the Oil take on the falmes.

FYI, for wedding favours we were trying to think of how to make them more personal. We got ribbon that has their names and wedding date. And another ribbon with their names and “Let’s Go Oilers!” on it. I can’t wait for people here in nuck country to see that!

54. Bruce says:

Wow, Jarret Stoll almost got an Even Strenth point. Good idea, Jarret, pass it to Ales and then get your feet moving.

55. PDO says:

As a fellow hockey player of a similar build (6’4″ 210 lbs), I’m not too surprised to see him fly through the neutral zone. He has a long, powerful stride… when he’s winding up from his own blueline, I doubt many players in the league can match his top speed.

And for fucks sake, would it kill Hughson to look at a stat sheet and see that Hemsky has 167 freaking shots this year, good for third on the team despite missing time?

And like that, there’s that fat fuck Aranson.

56. uni says:

Tyler #$%###@# Anarson. Also anyone remember when Pierre MacGuire said earlier in the season that Hemsky would NEVER score 20 goals in the NHL?

57. Dennis says:

That’s a dumb penalty by 89 and next year I’ll really start shitting on him for things like that but he’s only left to defend the one-on-one because 2 stepped up farther up the zone. Dumb play by Greene there and you really have to pick your spots when you’re up 3-0.

Oh, and that was a shitty effort by Roli on the Arrnason goal, to boot. He’s caught way too deep in the goal and there’s no way something like that should go in.

58. PDO says:

Told you Pitkanen came to play today :)

59. sacamano says:

Whoooo! Brodziak!

60. uni says:

Pitkanen has a beauty shift there and Brodziak!

61. Bruce says:

That is a HUGE fucking goal. Just when I was giving Pitkanen shit for taking the puck to the goal line and passing it pack to Joe Sakic of all people, he came all the way back to break up the rush and send it up to Brodziak.

Seive job by Budaj, but that makes up for the one by Roli.

62. PunjabiOil says:

Brodziak is having a fine season. He’s one of the less talked about rookie on the Oilers, because he’s older and not as flashy, but damn is he an NHL player.

A 20-20 season from him isn’t out of his vision.

63. mc79hockey says:

I think that the answer of who to cheer for in the VAN-CGY game depends on tonight’s outcome between CGY-MIN. If CGY loses, I think you cheek for VAN.

64. Dennis says:

25 hits the post off a ripping slapper and where the fuck did that come from?

Also, for those who lived through the ’07 Tim Horton season of rolling the puck up around the rim, watching the Oilers play as at least four man units – at least when the 2-5 duo isn’t on the ice- is an absolute joy.

65. uni says:

Bruce you’d recall though that Pitkanen intercepted that pass to Sakic before he gave it away, and Christ he’s playing well tonight, that shot was a zinger and he’s roving all over the ice.

Also if Hemsky had Horcoff back as his centre or anyone that had more confidence than Stoll he’s have 3 assists on the night already.

66. Devin says:

Jarret Stoll v. Marc Pouliot. Compare and contrast.

Pouliot gets the puck in the low cycle, and instead of juggling it and working it behind the net he turns, exhibits some great patience, and feeds Pisani in a prime scoring position. Goal.

Stoll now, about 5 times, is near enough to a prime scoring position, and can’t receive a goddamn pass to save his life. Not to mention that ridiculous pass on the PP. Seriously, this guy is playing like an AHL grinder right now, if that. Hemsky must be fuming, because he’s flying tonight.

67. Bruce says:

Told you Pitkanen came to play today :)

And I told you he needed to. Today he looks like a big-dollar stud defenceman. Very nice to see.

Right you are, PDO. A guy of his, uh, bulk can’t be expected to have the Cogliano first step, but he can motor when he gets a head of steam.

68. dstaples says:

This is killing me. I’m stuck working the weekend. Well, at least I can read your guys’ comments (as I pretend to write my story on the closing of Ritchie School).

And I can look forward to my game tape, if my dear wife hasn’t buggered up the VCR somehow.

69. PDO says:

You’re right.

And given his age, I think this is why you find a price to get a 5 year deal, and pay him. I mean, there’s guys who look pretty while not doing a whole lot, and there’s guys who look pretty while kicking ass and taking names… and Pitkanen, when on his game, is without question the latter.

70. PunjabiOil says:

And there is Stoll – what a fucking pansy. Grebeshkov gets cheap shotted from behind from Smyth, and Stoll doesn’t want to get a scratch on his pretty face so he just lightly taps Smyth in retaliation.

I’m telling you – the guy has no marbles – no testerone.

71. Quain says:

Christ, I thought this was the late game on HNIC for some reason. I hit TSN to check the actual time and it’s 4-1! Guess I’m glad we’re winning, but a bit sad I missed the fun stuff.

Guess this is what I get for living in Illinois… no constant commercials reminding me.

72. Bruce says:

I hate to get picky when Oilers are playing well and Hemsky is near the top of his game, but this kind of thing absolutely drives me nuts:

20 seconds to go, 4-1 lead, Smid and Greene have been on the ice since 2:01, the forwards have made the long change but the defence have been unable to. Once again the Oilers clear the zone, Hemsky gets to centre and dumps it in to allow the safe change … except Hemsky DOESN’T dump it in, it doesn’t even occur to him to dump it in, he buttonhooks on the side boards in the neutral zone, two Avs divest him of the puck, and 2 and 5 have to turn from their well deserved line change and labour back into the play. Fortunately, Smid does indeed make the play and clear the zone yet again, but it shouldn’t have been necessary.

Ales needs to buy in to the team game once in a while. There’s lots of times to freelance … that sure as fuck wasn’t one of them.

73. gary b says:

I’m telling you – the guy has no marbles – no testerone.

i think this proves that Rachel Hunter is some sort of succubus, and has stolen Stoll’s lifeforce.

74. PDO says:

Bruce…

Think he just got carried away? He’s been very good at dumping the puck in at the right time by my eye this season. He’s having a night where everything he’s done is going right, with the exception of when he lets the puck go near 16 ;), and he’s just thinking offense only.

It was a bad play, but I can certainly see what drove him to do it.

Two women show up and we start using the word “fucking” about 10 times more than usual. Just saying. :-)

I love this team but wouldn’t count on them to win any game that matters with a 5-goal lead heading into the third.

Roloson looks off the tracks now, he’s got to have a good third period here and it looks like Monday will be manic.

This Oilers team is exactly like the mid-70s Expos: you know some of these guys are going to be really famous someday.

76. Dennis says:

Staples: My worst story when it comes to trusting your missus to man the VCR happened in 2000 when I was away for the weekend playing softball and I put the ladyfriend in charge of taping that season’s Oz finale.

She messed up and I had to wait for Showcase to re-run the entire bloody season before I got to see the finale.

77. PDO says:

Showing off an excellent vocab is an excellent way to pick up chicks :-)

78. Bruce says:

Tyler Arnason’s career stats:

vs. EDM: 26 GP, 13-13-26, +3
    vs. others: 383 GP, 69-127-196, -18

I can’t explain it, Arnason is Royal against the Oil and Jelly against the rest.

Last time a guy owned the Oilers this bad, it was Peter Sullivan of the WHA Winnipeg Jets the year he scored 20 goals in 10 GP against the Oilers.

Holy crap, Peter Sullivan. Still don’t think he was 5 feet tall.

80. Bruce says:

It was a bad play, but I can certainly see what drove him to do it.

In that situation there’s no excuse IMO, he’s a veteran, he has to know the second period buzzer is his friend.

81. PDO says:

Positive: Penner was backchecking hard.

Negative: I think he thought he was a Duck again, because he straighted straight towards Roloson like he was looking for a rebound instead of picking a man up.

82. PDO says:

I like Roli.

Honest.

But I fucking hate how often he shows up his defensemen. There’s no need for that, especially considering the first goal he let in today.

I used to love Jim Hughson when he did the Expos broadcasts and tolerated him for years because the guy is quality.

But if he really wanted to be a great broadcaster Hughson would try a little harder to research a game not involving the Canucks.

Lazy.

84. PDO says:

So, am I the only one pissed off about the lack of a call on a blatant trip on Penner in the offensive zone about :30 before the Colorado goal?

God damn I hate officials.

85. uni says:

Okaaaay. Garon come back baby we love you!

But LT with the kiss of death; calling this team like it is.

I should have moved up my Saturday drinking start time to mesh with game start.

Lordy.

87. mc79hockey says:

Pouliot. Of course.

88. PDO says:

LT’S BOY!!!!!!!

89. uni says:

I’m going to have a heart attack today. POULIOT!

90. mc79hockey says:

It’d be nice if someone dropped this fucking Smyth character on his ass the next time he goes to the net like that.

91. Julian says:

what the hell is going on? it’s 4-1 on nhl.com, and then i check the live feed thing and it’s 4-3, then suddenly it’s 5-4?

silly oilers.

92. mc79hockey says:

I can’t recall seeing a fourth line on a run like the current fourth line, in terms of pucks going and penalties drawn. It’s incredible.

93. PDO says:

Hemsky will do something special on this PP. Guaranteed.

94. Bruce says:

No you’re not.

95. PunjabiOil says:

I was watching the game with my brother, and I told him with a straight face, watch the Oilers blow a 3 goal lead.

And then, it happened.

I wasn’t the least bit surprised. I think it was the 2002-2003 season where the Oilers blew a ridiculous amount of 3 goal leads. They haven’t fared much better over the years.

But hey, nice recovery. Pouliot has to have earned a 1 way contract next year.

96. James L. says:

Lordy, we can’t afford having Garon injured like this right now.

Come on baby, hold together…

97. PDO says:

Maybe not.

I blame myself, sorry guys.

98. dstaples says:

5-4 Oilers. I’m listening to Colorado play-by-play. The announcers are very excited. What happened!?

99. mc79hockey says:

I blame the EIG and the slop ice at the Rex for Hemsky bobbling that puck as he went around the net.

100. PunjabiOil says:

MacT whipped out his junk and began taunting it to a few Colorado fans behind the bench.

101. PDO says:

Tyler, it’s okay.

We’ll have a new arena in 5 years that will revitalize the downtown, bring UFA’s to Edmonton for discount prices and cure cancer.

102. Julian says:

this isn’t working for me, but apparently it’s the game, for those that aren’t able to watch.

103. dstaples says:

GAGNER!!!!

104. PunjabiOil says:

It’s games like these when Dustin Penner brings it, making the offersheet seem respectable.

I think he’s now tied his production last year.

If he could start bringing his game consistently, he’ll be a guy really helping his team win hockey games.

105. uni says:

dstaples why don’t you just link to the CBC feel for the game and watch it there?

Helluva a game, that was a damn nice shot off the post and in.

106. dstaples says:

It is sweet to hear how suddenly downcast the Colorado announcers are.

Hey, you’d think they are homers or something ;) as opposed to respectable, objective MSM newsmen.

107. mc79hockey says:

Joni’s having a hell of a game but I watched that whole sequence leading up to Smyth’s breakaway and he’s gotta learn when you pinch and when you don’t. He’s playing too low in the offensive zone for the situation.

108. dstaples says:

Uni, Lowtide’s blog tool ate the last part of that link, as it always does to links.

109. PDO says:

Ales Hemsky should’ve had the goal of the fucking year right there.

… four straight games with a closing your hand on the puck penalty.

THAT is strange.

110. mc79hockey says:

I’m laughing at some of the shit that Hemsky is pulling off today. I’m as much of a results guy versus style as you’ll find, but he’s a jaw droppingly fun player to watch.

111. uni says:

I posted again with the link, here it is again:

CBC Game Feed

Or you can just go to http://www.cbc.ca and navigate to sports and hockey.

112. Julian says:

nhl.com says “illegal equipment” penalty to the oilers… what’s going on?

none of these TV feeds work for me….

113. uni says:

Greene closed his hand on the puck when dropping it.

Also the CBC link can be copied and pasted into Windows Media Player. Only works in Canada though.

114. Coach pb9617 says:

Joni in: 5-8-1, .393
    Joni out: 4-6-1, .409

Run that through all games and use GF GA.

115. Julian says:

Only works in Canada though.

yeah, that’s my problem.

116. Julian says:

jesus, and i thought my team’s 8-7 shootout win tonight was a wild one.

117. Tania says:

Don’t worry. This game is fucking frustrating for us females too!

118. PDO says:

I swear to god the Oilers have taken 15 years off my like expectancy.

And that’s before I include the drinking they’ve forced me to do.

119. Baroque says:

Actually, with the stress this team is causing for the fans, it is beyond appropriate that the new owner is in pharmaceuticals. :)

120. uni says:

Okay I’m too young to have known, but is this what 80′s Oilers hockey was like?

121. mc79hockey says:

Nice, they’re calling that a goal. Seems like a suitable end to the game.

122. Tania says:

If Marty wasn’t so popular amongst some female fans, I’m sure I could come up with half a dozen jokes about Reasoner’s “goal”.

Now, I can begin my life again.

123. Julian says:

what happened on the EN?

124. dstaples says:

Stan Weir was always my favourite Oiler. I swear.

125. Tania says:

Uni, only if you reverse the standings. The Oilers didn’t have to worry about making the playoffs and fighting for their lives.

And I know this because I had the foresight as a child to record the games on vcr. If only vcr still existed.

Now to prove I’m still a girl, I’m going for a manicure and a pedicure and stop cursing like a male oiler blogger.

126. uni says:

Reasoner had a clear break and Stasny busted his butt to get back and hooked him a little, then tugged at Reasoner’s arm as he shot. Since it was a hooking penalty on a clear breakaway (kinda iffy but I think Marty had that goal) they gave Reasoner the goal.

127. Doogie says:

… four straight games with a closing your hand on the puck penalty.

THAT is strange.

And we had one in my recreational ball hockey game at the University on Wednesday. It’s like some sort of bizarre cosmic alignment

128. uni says:

Also I have 3 VCRs if you want one, and I can also transcribe those games to digital media if you want =).

The one advantage of not having the foresight to record games, but spending a youth playing with tech toys.

I think I’m exhausted from that game, time to go cook dinner…christ that’s not easy on the nerves.

129. honkey says:

It’s never boring watching these Oilers play thats for sure.
    Im speechless and just keep thinking of what Gagner might do for this club in 5 years.

Hemskys performance just reminds how beautiful hockey can be played. Just pure genius art like Mozart or Picasso.

Sweet Jesus. I simply CANNOT live through another spring like 2006. The Edmonton Oilers must kill more fans through heart attacks and stroke than any team on the planet.

I’m exhausted.

131. Coach pb9617 says:

My whole body hurts. If I ever have a heart attack during a game, I’m posting it here. You guys call for help, OK?

132. Aaron Paquette says:

Nooooo! Me manwich!

I was spending time with family…is there someplace online I can watch this game…right now!?

133. Bruce says:

Never in doubt. For all the Oilers who played one of their best games of the season (2, 5, 25, 27, 34, 78, 83, 89), that was WAY too close for comfort.

I think that was the best I’ve seen the 2-5 pairing. Very solid, esp. in our end, took the body and moved the puck out with authority. 37-77 OTOH were poor in our end, esp. Grebs who had two brutal shifts to open the third.

I don’t think Marc Pouliot could have picked a better moment to score his first of the season. That game was tied for 18 seconds longer than it should have been, but the timeout and the immediate goal staunched the bleeding in the best manner possible. LT, your faith is being rewarded, the kid looks like a keeper.

That other kid Gagner looks like he might stick, too. Two great shots, almost got the hat trick, just named first star ahead of Hemsky and Sakic, wow. Enjoy your night off, kid.

Run that through all games and use GF GA.

Yeah, maybe I will. I’m not disagreeing with you, Coach, I’m just curous. For sure Joni was a big part of the win today.

Bruce: Yeah, Pouliot had his best game since the PS game in Toronto. A lot of guys who post here have been on the Pouliot bandwagon, speeds and Dennis for sure. It’s been up and down for him, at this point imo he’s just playing for a career somewhere but it would be nice to get an NHL regular from that stunner 2003 draft.

135. K says:

Count me in as an Oiler fan who did NOT survive the ’06 playoff run. I was at Filthy’s watching every single game. Quit my shit job, my car was broken into off Whyte– twice!, and I had no money at the end of it all, I left Edmonton.

But goddamn, best summer of my LIFE.

136. Lord Bob says:

7-5? Are you effing kidding me? I’m at work and our high-def TV kinda sucks, so I saw ‘Colorado 5′ at the top of the TSN ticker and said ‘shucks’.

Because there was no way we were scoring at least six times on the Colorado Avalanche.

I hate this team almost as much as I utterly love it.

137. Dennis says:

LT etc all: You see a game like tonight and it’s clear the Oilers need some real stoppers in place of 2 and 5 so that you don’t need to ride the fuck out of 37-44. 24-24 should be kept — along with Gilberskov — and then Souray comes back for one of 2 or 5.

So, you keep one of those guys for ’09 — you trade the other for a pick in a deep ’08 draft — and then come 2010 you decide if that guy’s worth keeping around.

I think we’re all fucking flying going forward with the forwards but the D isn’t close to where we need it to be. It’s all fun for now but some of these guys have to be cleared out for vets before we win a playoff round.

Unless, of course, Luongo shows up to play goal for the league minimum.

138. Scarlett says:

Dump Greene, that guy is like a black hole. Whoever plays with him, he sucks their talent away and makes them play like shit. Smid is much better than that. Argh!

What a game….just got back from it and wow, the craziest game ever. I’m with you all: I cannot handle another Stanley Cup run. Today’s game almost killed me!

139. PDO says:

Would Peca come back here? I know the Oilers were interested in bringing him back…

Say you sign him, move Stoll, Torres and Greene for a real D + some picks and hit next season with:

Penner – Horcoff – Hemsky
    Nilsson – Cogliano – Gagner
    Moreau – Peca – Pisani (I’d rather move Moreau than Torres…)
    GlenX – Brodziak – Stortini
    Pouliot, Reasoner

Assuming the D we trade for is capable, I think we’re a playoff team with that roster…

140. Bank Shot says:

Dammit. I miss every single game that Pouliot shows something in. Everyone else gets to see Superman once in a while, and I’ve only seen Clark Kent. ;p

Oh well, sounds like another heart attack hockey game. The Oilers may miss the playoffs, but man this hockey doesn’t want to make a guy hang himself like last year’s stretch drive did.

Greene and Smid will be the right age in 2-3 years, and then will give the Oilers 8-10 years of Adam Footness each. I can live with that over an endless series of stop gap vets.

141. Lord Bob says:

If Chris Pronger and Mike Comrie were ten out of ten on the “it’s like communism here” scale, wasn’t Peca, like, an eight point five? I doubt he’d come back.

142. PDO says:

Who was the idiot tracking shots in Rexall tonight that credited Hemsky with all of TWO shots?

Just off the top of my head:

#1) Breakaway at the end of the game.
    #2) Scrum at the net after breakaway at the end of the game.
    #3) 2nd period he made a “how do you do” move and put it off a blocker.
    #4) The highlight reel move he pulled off was a blocker save as well.

I have a feeling the number was more like 7, but I guess our statistician tonight was pretty retarded.

He’s made some positive comments towards MacTavish, has he not? Or I am going crazy? A physical, defensively able center is exactly what this team needs….

143. Dennis says:

I know it was awhile before Adam Foote was Adam Foote but I don’t think it’s exactly super-easy, or even sensible, to say that Both Smid and Greene are on that path.

24 should be here until he falls down because of what he can do and what he’s making, 25 should be here until he prices himself out of the market, 44 is here no matter what and 37-77 should be kept around because they’ve shown that on their good days they can provide all elements of playing D.

Keep one of these guys for ’09 and then let the other fellow play his way on or off the team for the next year. These are the bubble guys, IMO.

144. dstaples says:

Patience, Dennis, patience.

OK, I didn’t see Greene or Smid yet vs. Colorado, but based on their seasons play, there’s no way the Oil should move either of these guys (and it’s not going to happen, either, I suspect).

Greene has been the Oil’s top defensive defenceman all year. He’s already playing well, making fewer goal-causing errors per even strength minute than any other Oilers defender. Plus, he’s a heart and soul guy who will stand up for teammates, always a huge asset to any team.

And Smid is a few years away from shining in that same defensiv role. Hell, he’s like a young Kevin Lowe out there.

Give him time. He will shine, and he will be doing so must as Cogliano, Nilsson and Gagner hit their peak years.

Not to mention Pouliot. I give you guys credit for sticking with that guy, for he does appear to have NHL player written all over him at this point.

145. Asiaoil says:

Nice game for MAP. Like a few of us have been saying – just let the kid play and get comfortable. He’ll be a solid NHLer and a guy who might sign a cheap two year one-way deal and out-perform it.

Keep Reasoner as the veteran extra forward next season – he’ll play more than enough as injuries occur.

Stoll is simply playing like a bag of crap – and you can’t say he hasn’t had the chances. Get MAP up on the top line for the last few games now that he has a bit of confidence going and get Stoll down on the 3rd line. Really – if we sign this guy to a two year deal worth $5 million or so this summer – I will question whether it’s Stoll or the GM with the head injury. He’s a guy I’d offer at the draft to move up.

146. Bruce says:

#1) Breakaway at the end of the game.
    #2) Scrum at the net after breakaway at the end of the game.

PDO: As I saw that sequence the Oilers never did get a shot. Judging from the play-by-play at NHL.com, the official shot-counters saw it the same way. It was a very bizarre play.

I’d be very surprised if either got moved anytime soon. Smid is going to have a long career here, while Greene is closer to the bubble but useful for the reasons you mention, David. We need a couple of hardrock defencemen to back up the likes of 25, 37, and 77.

I’ll be interested in your opinion of 2 and 5 in today’s game, David. I thought both were pretty stalwart, although there was so much going on out there I might have missed a mistake or two. Greene did take a real cheap penalty for grabbing the puck for a split-second, but neither were on for a GA and both ended the day at +2 with 3 hits apiece. The other four defencemen had a grand total of 1 hit among them.

147. Dennis says:

Staples etc all: I think it’s unreasonable to think we can get to round two of the playoffs in ’09 with all of these kids taking minutes. This is not about me saying that 2 or 5 don’t have value; it’s about me saying that the other kids are more well-rounded. If one of them turns out then that’s fine with me. And, you know, it would be a lot easier to pencil both guys in for next year and beyond if your mutual buddy Souray wasn’t etched in stone:D

Interesting day for 78 as he was on the ice for 5 of the 10 goals scored at evens. He had a scoring sheet hand on two of them and on the 51 goal, he had dropped back to play left defense in 25′s absence before 25 glided back to headman the puck to 51 for the snipe. Regarding the GA, he was on the the seemingly innocuous shot that went off 37 and skipped past Roli and later on he was holding his coverage up high while the Avs scored down low. He’s played nine games now since his return and has six points with only one of them coming on either an ENG or during PP time. And he hasn’t been getting much time on the PP and that’s not where he’s been scoring, either. Plus he’s been physical and knows how to play in his own end.

148. Asiaoil says:

“There’s more than one way to run a bench and if MacT wants to roll with 27-10-83 playing tough min — which isn’t a bad idea considering when we’ll be paying them — there’s no reason why 78 couldn’t centre a third line with 34 on his right side and either 14 or 18 on his left. Keep the 4th line as is and deal off 16 for picks on draft day.”

Sounds perfectly logical to me and cap friendly as well.

Greene and Smid don’t collect points, but are slowly improving. This means they might be able to be signed to reasonable affordable long term cap-friendly contracts. (It would mean they would always be tradeable.)

And for much less than a veteran, where minimum price for a competent mid-career NHL defenseman is basically $3 million per season. The Oilers can probably get both Smid and Greene for around $3 million per season total on their next contracts…two for the price of one.

Considering Gilbert and Grebeshkov, with Chorney and Petry in the pipeline, the Oilers only need Greene and Smid to become reliable defensive defensemen.

Souray can always be bought out if necessary. After one more season, since his contract was front loaded, it would be painful, but not excessively so.
    ($10 million buys out Souray after next season, $6 million after two more, approximately.) Souray also becomes more tradeable after next season, when the two big salary years are done with.

After Niedermayer and Schneider are gone probably both after next season, Souray might be a good fit for the Ducks.

The problem with Smid and Greene is that they’ve been passed by Gilbert and Grebeshkov and guess what there are more on the way.

The Oilers next season have two grizzled vets (Souray, Staios), one piss cutter (Pitkanen) and two young 2-way guys (Gilbert, Grebeshkov) who have gone a long way to establishing themselves.

If we make those 5 guys the foundation of the blueline, we can say that the group needs a ruffian and someone long in the tooth to settle things down.

Personally, I’d sign Jason Smith and pair him with Smid. Deal Greene and Stoll at the draft for picks or another established defender (which would force Smid to the pressbox until the first injury) who could eat up the tough EV minutes with Staios as a “old fart” pairing.

Souray is a great big ugly beam in the midde of the family room but Lowe has the money and assets to work around it.

My concern is that he doesn’t see the freaking beam.

151. MikeP says:

LordBob, I think Peca came around at the end of the year. Problem is, while I don’t think he hates the team, I do think he hates the travel sked, and his wife too. He’ll be staying as far east as he can, I expect.

152. Bank Shot says:

While I am agreed to the sentiment that the Oilers could use some help on the blueline, I don’t agree with them bringing in some grizzled vet like Jason Smith to play the third pairing minutes.

The third pairing isn’t the problem, its the top four.

For all the praise Gilbert gets, he’s been something like -19 in his last thirty games and only a plus player 4 times.

I’d only want to see a move made on the blueline for the sake of bringing in REAL quality. A guy that could anchor a top four pairing for the next 3-4 years and log big minutes at both ends of the ice.

Perhaps a package of Stoll/Torres, plus any one of Gilbert/Grebeshkov/Greene/Smid and propects can shake loose a strong two-way work horse(ala Timonen) this offseason or the next.

Young players may get better. Old players are probably only going to get worse. The Oilers made their choice who their veteran character defenseman was going to be when they chose Staios over Smith.

Jason Smith can get his retirement contract from somebody else.

Greene has the potential to be an affordable reliable physical defensive mid-career defenseman by the time the Oilers are a contender. Smith will be done by that time. Staios still have a year or two, and with the emergence of Gilbert, the Oilers don’t have to have great expecta†ions for Greene. They need an affordable, reliable, physical guy. Almost ditto for Smid.

One can have both Greene and Smid for the price of Smith, and longer term the Oilers likely only need one of the two to succeed in their development. And the Oilers, if they keep Pitkanen, and with the emergence of Gilbert and Grebeshkov, can finally play Greene and Smid in more appropriate roles.

Some of the perspective here is always far too short term.

godot10: Part of developing defensemen is giving them veteran support. A player like Smid has improved partly because of playing at time with Staios.

If the Oilers improved their blueline to the point where one of the youngsters could play with a Jason Smith imo you’d see development at a faster pace.

155. dstaples says:

Jason Smith?

With all due respect Lowetide, he looked slow and old the last season he played with us. “Mean” Matt is already playing at a higher level (albeit, facing not quite so tough competition regulary as Smith faced). Greene is also providing all the inspirational stuff that Smith provided. I know you’re not a Green guy. Neither was I until this year. But Greene is a keeper, I’m convinced of it. As is Smid.

Last night I kept track of scoring chances, for and against. Greene and Smid did the best defensively as a pair, giving up only one real scoring chance at even strength, while the pairing of Greb and Gilbert gave up 11 (in about four minutes more e.s. time).

At the same time, Smid and Greene made no defensive errors that directly contributed to goals against, while I would assign as many as three to Greb.

Just one game, I know . . . but Greene has made very few blunders all year that have led to goals against. Moving him, huge mistake, and it will not happen. Not a chance.

Listen, I like Greb and Gilbert a lot. But the real issue on the Oilers defence ins’t them, or Green e and Smid, it is what to do with Souray.

We don’t need any more old veteran help. Staios is a vet. Huddy can teach. Greene is a young vet now, too, been to a Cup final. Pitkanen is a vet (though with some very bad habits). Greb is experienced, Gilbert is, too. They’re not 22 anymore. Smid is still on the upside part of his career. It’s not time to move any of these guys. It’s time to work with all of them, see how much they can improve.

And if Souray is hurt, and can’t play any more — which is what I fully expect will happen within the next 16 months — then that issue is over and done with.

P.S. That said, I like Souray a lot when he plays. He was solid this year, strong on the powerplay. But his injury issues aren’t likely to go away, not at his age.

156. Bruce says:

I’m with Godot and Bank Shot on this one. Gilbert looks as if he may be a two-way defenceman sometime in the future, but for now he is getting killed in our end. He makes up for some of this at the offensive end, but over all he has been bleeding minuses for months. Even in March when Oilers have been rolling along winning 8 games out of 11, Gilbert has posted a gross (using the term advisedly) -7 without a single plus game. He has scored 1 powerplay point this month,so it’s not like he’s racking up a ton of “invisible” plusses.

In this same month Smid is +2 with 3 plus games, Greene +1 with 3 plus games, Grebeshkov -1 with 4 plus games. Pitkanen is -1 with 4 plus games, while our one grizzled vet, Staios has posted a +3 with 4 plus games.

Looking at the four young defencemen (excluding Pitkanen, who has far more experience than the other 25-and-unders), I’ll agree that Gilbert was leading the pack by a large margin in November, however if you were to ask me the entirely different question as to who has improved the most since then, I would say 1. Grebeshkov 2. Smid 3. Greene 4. Gilbert.

David Staples: We’ll have to agree to disagree. The Oilers will have to move some of these defensemen and Matt Greene is a candidate.

bruce: Pounding on Gilbert is the flavor of the month from Oiler fans but this recent slide is predictable. Given some NHL experience he’ll become more consistent and even though the 40+ quality games from earlier in the season seem like a distant bell he still has that in him.

Gilbert and Grebeshkov are doing too much heavy lifting currently and that is a negative for now but not so much long term.

As for counting errors and such with regard to Greene, do you include the two minute minors as errors? Not the ones that prevent goals, but the ones that do not.

I would think that should be an error.

//The Oilers will have to move some of these defensemen and Matt Greene is a candidate.//

Since when is seven defenseman too many.

Pitkanen, Staios, Gilbert, Grebeshkov, Souray, Greene, and Smid, especially when Souray and Pitkanen seem to have durability issues.

Chorney really doesn’t come into play for at least a year. And if he is ready sooner, that is a problem I hope the Oilers have. Petry and Peckham, are probably two years out at a minimum.

159. dstaples says:

No errors aren’t handed out for taking bad penalties.

Bad penalties are bad plays, of course, but they are not counting plays in regards to this stat.

The errors is like goals and assists, only in reverse.

You get an error assigned to you if you make a blunder that directly contributes to a goal against the Oilers.

As many as three errors are assigned per goal against, just like we have as many as three points per goal scored for the team.

The last three players who touched the puck are awarded points on a goal.

In assigning errors, I trace back to when the Oilers either turned over the puck and never got it back before the goal was scored against, or to when the Oilers last had full control of the play in the defensive zone, with all opposing players covered and no threat from the other team of scoring, even if they have possession of the puck.

So I look for the Oilers turning it over or breaking down. The player responsible is assigned an error, and those who make blunders afterwards are also assigned errors.

To get the full story of this stat,
    I’ve written a F.A.Q. which I link to today at the top of my blog, as well as explaining my most recent error assignments.

160. Bruce says:

I don’t think I’m pounding on him, I’m just citing some stats which do some pretty serious pounding all on their own.

Given some NHL experience he’ll become more consistent

Exact same statement applies to all four of these guys.

Agreed, and by no means am I giving up on him. Gilbert hit the wall quite awhile ago, and while MacT has scaled back his minutes to second pairing he continues to be a defensive liability. He is softer than even Pitkanen, ranking 7th among Oiler defencemen with just 23 hits despite having the most gross TOI. He also ranks 7th in PiM which is in my view a mixed blessing.

Minor penalties this season: Staios 41; Pitkanen 24; Smid 19; Greene 14; Grebeshkov 10; Souray 8; Gilbert 8. Last year Greene was second on the team, behind only (ahem) Jason Smith.

To some extent penalties are a cost of doing business for a one-on-one battling defenceman like Greene, Smith or Staios. Not all of them prevent scoring opportunities, but that’s the nature of the game, you get your stick in there and sometimes you catch the guy’s skate, you push the guy down and once in awhile the ref sees it as a crosscheck. A cheap PP is like a free scoring opportunity, but it’s not the end of the world, esp. with our penalty killing unit.

Here’s Greene’s minor penalty per 60 rate for his three seasons: 2.77 (and 5.64 !! in the playoffs), 1.18, 1.27.

Comparable rates for Steve Staios: 1.47 (1.62 playoffs), 1.26, 1.48.

Greene was rightly roasted for all the penalties he took as a raw rookie, but he has curtailed his penalties sharply since, yet the old rep still follows him around.

BTW, those rates for Smid during his two seasons are 1.50 and 1.05. Like Greene, he’s learning to compete within the rules. I see real strong growth in both players, and am very hopeful that there’s much more to come.

161. Dennis says:

I think the problem with 77 is overuse and didn’t we see this coming? He’s playing probably 6 or 7 more min a night then 2 or 5 and it’s beginning to show. Same thing goes with Grebs but when it comes to these guys, there’s more then they can do than just be tough or stop plays and that’s why I’ve got them ahead of both 2 and 5.

Jay McKee will be 31 in Sept, has two years left at 4 mill per and with the Blues having just as much luck scoring as a fat guy at a fashion show, 14/16 for McKee should be something that could be done in a finger-snap, no? McKee’s at 33/32 in Desjardin numbers and has put a dent in his injury history by playing 60 games this season thus far.

Does that sound like something that might interest you, LT? And if we really wanted to go big and Stl wanted a D back, we could throw Greene in that deal and take Stl’s 2nd back in the process.

This would bring in another guy to play top four min along with 24-25 and that leaves 5-37-44-77 for spots 4-7.

Btw, count me among the guys who think Smith’s pretty much done and while he could be a good bottom pairing guy with Smid I think Smith’s looking for a contract that doesn’t befit a bottom pairing D.

As for Peca, I’d love to have the 14-37-34 line back together for a regular season just to see how they’d do and don’t look now but Peca’s actually gonna play over 60 games this season!!;) But, I doubt he’s gonna come back to the Oil and perhaps it’s better to look ahead and give Pouliot a pivot role next year.

GD: Not sure if you noticed but with the Oilers facing a huge hill to climb, you’re looking at Edm missing the playoffs for three of the last four years where hockey was actually played in April. So, I don’t mind being patient but I’m not gonna get caught up in thinking that EVERY ONE of our kids is gonna pay off, either. So, to that end, I’m betting on 37-77 and perhaps 5 but one of 2 or 5 needs to be replaced by a guy that’s actually fully developed right now.

Dennis: I’d do that trade with STL if only for the purpose of giving the coach another option in the last minute of every period.

As for Smid/Greene, I like them fine but it’s my opinion they have been passed by others. If the Oilers could find a ruffian who could move the puck then both are expendable moving forward but other than that one stays (and I would choose Smid to stay).

The Oilers will have to make a decision imo in the next 12 months, with either Peckham or Chorney pushing out Greene or Grebeshkov. Unless Pitkanen is dealt in the summer, which would relieve the pressure.

I’m confident that the Oilers will elevate one or both of those D as soon as they feel they’re ready. History tells us that Kevin Lowe brings up defensemen about as young as the Blue Jays have called up starting pitching over the years.

//So, to that end, I’m betting on 37-77 and perhaps 5 but one of 2 or 5 needs to be replaced by a guy that’s actually fully developed right now.//

It is a cap world now. Older veteran defenseman go for $3 million per season. The Oilers have Souray over that, Staios just under that, Pitkanen (or a Pitkanen-replacement), who will be well over that, and Gilbert who will likely be over $2 million. Those four D take most of the D budget. There is no cap room to bring in a veteran making $3 million, regardless of how desirable it might be.

The Oilers have two guys with potential, Greene and Smid, of whom they need one to succeed long term who together will cost $3 million in total on their next contracts. Grebeshkov should also remain cap-friendly on his next contract.

Greene and Smid give a cost effective third pairing for the next few seasons.

164. dstaples says:

I’ve been counting primary errors since game 48, so for the past 36 games.

Gilbert has made 13 primary errors and 9 secondary errors in that time.

Greb, 3 primaries and 7 secondaries.

Greene, 1 primary and 2 secondaries.

Smid, 5 primaries and 2 secondaries.

Now Gilbert has played more games and had more time at even strength than the other two, so that partly explains his high numbers. Plus, he plays tough minutes.

But I just don’t see him as having moved ahead of Smid of Greene.

So, yes, LT, we will have to agree to disagree on the relative merit of these players.

Who knows how this will all play out and young players go up and down rather fast don’t they.

I mean, in October, how would we all have rated Grebeshkov as compared to Matt Carle?

Bruce: Great stuff on penalty minute totals for Greene/Smid/Staios.

165. dstaples says:

Make that the past 26 games. . .

166. dstaples says:

Or 28 games. :) I’ll get it right yet.

Well if Greene really is good we should be seeing him in the top 4 here any time now.

168. Dennis says:

Is it just me or does everyone else just quickly scroll down as soon as Staples mentions errors?

Anyway, to the guy who talked about it being a cap system, McKee’s only on the books for two more seasons and if you’re worried about paying too much to the defense, that means you just really scale back the paper for the bottom six forwards.

Plus, we’ve don’t really have to pay both 13-89 until, ta da!!, two seasons time and while I’m confident that this team can score, they really need to shore up that back end.

169. dstaples says:

I’m sure it’s just you, Dennis ;)

Well you and some of the other gentle folk at IOF :)

Hey, I know many of you don’t have much time for the “error” stat.

Fair enough. I know the problems with it, in that it’s a “subjective” stat.

But, as I’ve said before, I’m convinced it’s a good indicator.

It certainly appears to highlight Gilbert’s declining play. In his first 45 games, Gilbert only had 12 errors, and in the 31 games since then, he has made 19.

But maybe that’s not meaningful, mabye that’s just luck, or guessing, or something, right? :)

170. Mr DeBakey says:

That cracked me up.
    Cuz I’d just finished doing it.

Thoughts
    - No way is Greene better than Smith. No Way.
    - A couple of weeks ago in a post-game, MacT was asked about Greene’s play – Response:
    “He played………….well.”
    A couple of games later his reply was even less enthusiastic.
    - having said that,
    having put up with Smid & Greene for the past two seasons
    I’d hate to see them go now.
    -In fact I doubt many changes will be made to the Oilers D, for the many reasons noted.
    - But, KP did say the Oilers would look to add a D next season.
    - I wonder how much it’d cost Katz to get Souray to waive his NTC? A Cayman account, an Annuity for his kids?
    - Who had a good season playing for the Czechs this past European season?:
    Angel Krstev Defense
    Born Dec 15 1980
    Height 6.00- Weight 204- Shoots L

171. dstaples says:

Ah, the sweet smell of ridicule, the scent of triumphalism, the certain mark of victory in any debate, for sure.

172. MikeP says:

While I can’t honestly say I read every word of every “errors” comment or post, I can’t say that I read every one of your words either, Dennis, especially not when you’re in rant mode. So there. :)

Staples, I’m not convinced that errors are the best stat going, but I think they’re definitely better than +/-.

LT has a good point though; maybe not necessarily with respect to Greene, but how can we measure things like “penalties taken that don’t result in goals, but still seem to cause the team harm”? Lotta work to tabulate that though, and a lotta game tape.

173. Dennis says:

MikeP: I don’t know what to tell you, man. Well, besides the fact you’re missing out;)

Staples: When you use your “evidence” to throw out things like Geoff Sanderson being a fine defensive forward, it’s just hard to take you seriously. On the one hand I give you evidence for trying to nail down something new that we could point to but on the other hand, I think you’re trying to re-invent the wheel but without actually acknowledging the existence of the wheel in the first place.

As for why Gilbert’s showing up more in your errors stat, I’d tie it to things like the netminding regressing and just poor old bad luck. You throw out these errors against without highlighting guys for being on the ice for CREATING scoring chances and you stack the deck right off the bat. You can praise Smid or Greene for not making sins in your eyes but how many chances do they actually create?

If Gilbert made 5 little Lidstrom passes in his own end to spur breakout plays that lead to odd man advantages in the same game where he lost a puck battle and then that puck went off two players and past the tender, he played a shitty game in your eyes.

You can sell this idea to the dummies to a certain group but there’s another group that doesn’t even consider it.

174. Bruce says:

Dennis: Put me in the group that considers it, AND considers the other stuff. If this qualifies me as a dummy, so be it.

Gilbert has 30 points, Smid 4, Greene 1. Thery’re hardly in the same league going by that. Well even we dummies know there’s more to the game than offensive stats, and the error assignments attempt — not always successfully — to provide some balance for that. Like goals and points, they do only consider action at one end of the ice, the defensive end, and Staples has made no bones about that from Day One. In fact he does attempt to balance the scales, by calculating the difference between ES points and errors. The latest: Greene +1/-6; Smid +4/-21; Gilbert +19/-31.

One of the weaknesses of that system is defencemen tend to be more directly involved in goals against than goals for and generally wind up in the minus, forwards in the plus. But comparisons within their groups can be instructive.

Considering points and errors, as Staples has done, Gilbert creates more, at both ends of the ice. That resonates with what I’ve observed.

175. Bruce says:

David: Can you tell us the equivalent numbers of scoring opportunities at the offensive end for 37-77 vs. 2-5? I agree with Dennis that to get a truer picture we need to know what happens at both ends of the ice when a given player is out there. If Gilbert made 5 Lidstrom passes that should show up in positive scoring opps.