Oilers at Avs, G79/07-08

Stan Weir believes. Stan Weir believes the Oilers can make the playoffs this season.

Stan Weir caused the collapse of the Soviet Union. Breakaway countries, in his honour, call themselves KazakhSTAN, UzbekiSTAN, etc. In the same region, thousands of children born out of wedlock in 1989 were named Stanislav. (Meaning: Half-slavic son of Stan) -Jonathan.

Stan Weir doesn’t like the Avalanche, he says all their players look like Kenny G.

Stan Weir spices up his steaks with pepper spray.

Stan Weir shaves with a rusty chainsaw -heed.

Stan Weir can blow bubbles with beef jerky -Clayton Magnet.

Stan Weir is NOT susceptible to Kryptonite -doritogrande.

Stan Weir once entered a lumberjack contest. He thought axes were for pussies and won using his left hand -Kristopher Milligan.

Gretzky went where the puck was going. Weir made the puck come to him -PDO.

Time waits for Stan Weir.

Stan Weir is capable of photosynthesis.

Stan Weir understands the ending of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

When Stan Weir picks his nose, he REALLY does find Gold.

Stan Weir let the dogs out.

Stan Weir puts the laughter in manslaughter.

Stan Weir’s favorite breakfast is nails and gravel with milk.

Stan Weir is like a dog, not only because he can smell fear, but because he can piss on whatever he wants.

Stan Weir will bring us many riches and women who will try anything once.

Ladies and gentlemen, Stan Weir!

109 Responses to "Oilers at Avs, G79/07-08"

1. Muller says:

Lets go Oilers and Stan Weir.

2. Quain says:

Well, we’re still in it however slightly. We need to win out, and then two of the three teams within our range can only win a certain number of games going forward.

Vancouver: 2-2-1
    Nashville: 3-1-1
    Colorado: 1-3-0

(Dallas, Calgary, and Minnesota are still within range if they don’t win another game, period… but that’s too unlikely to care about.)

It’s possible, but pretty hairy going forward.

Stan Weir.

3. doritogrande says:

Sweet, I have a place in the Stan Weir glossary.

Go Oilers, and Go anyone playing the Canucks!

4. HBomb says:

Stan Weir has Rob Schremp’s puck-skills, Andrew Cogliano’s skating ability, Fernando Pisani’s clutchness, and a mullet that would make Ryan Smyth jealous.

5. doritogrande says:

H-bomb,

Don’t forget Mathieu Garon’s legs. Don’t you know he could’ve won the Vezina, but he didn’t like being between two things that are red?

6. Jon G says:

I have also heard that police label anyone attacking Stan Weir as a Code 45-11… a suicide.

7. Oilman says:

Stan Weir need only push alt-delete on his computer – he always has control.

Stan Weir invented the Sherwood, beer, sexual intercourse, and hockey– in that order

Stan Weir has lost all respect for Mark Messier because Stan Weir can eat just one Lays chip.

Stan Weir scored the 1986 Cup Winning Goal for the Montreal Canadiens while sitting in the
    14th row of the Saddledome “just to fuck with the Flames” – a fact that went undiscovered until the invention of HDTV (which Stan Weir invented)

8. HBomb says:

Stan Weir met Dave Semenko one day walking down a countryside road in England.

The Earth became so scared at the prospect of a conflict that would be more devastating than nuclear holocaust, it crapped itself.

The result was the country now known as Scotland.

9. Ender says:

Frodo didn’t win by getting the ring in the fire. Stan Weir just got bored with the whole Sauron thing.

10. heed says:

stan weir’s kids were so tough, he didn’t need to use diapers. he just stapled newspaper to their butts.

11. breakerdog says:

The fastest way to a mans heart……..is Stan Weir’s fist.

12. HBomb says:

If you see a ghost, who ya gonna call? Ghostbusters.

If the Ghostbusters run into trouble however, they call Stan Weir.

13. Doogie says:

Hey now, I take offense to that Scotland remark. I am Scottish, dammit. Well, half-Scottish. But anyway.

Anyway, Stan Weir is Superman’s real father.

14. digger says:

Stan Weir doesn’t use toilet paper to wipe his ass, he uses a cheese grater.

Stan Weir once beat Kasparov at chess, using nothing but 5 pawns…then he bludgeoned him into unconsciousness with the chessboard for his insolence.

Stan Weir once challenged Lance Armstrong in a “Who has more testicles?” contest. Stan Weir won by 5.

Stan Weir drives a Canyonero.

Stan Weir can win a game of Trivial Pursuit with one roll of the dice, and without answering a single question… just a nod of the head, and a stroke of the beard.

15. Bruce says:

This just in: Bertuzzi sues Crawford for negligence.

Now if only Brian Burke and Matt Cooke could be implicated, this would be perfect. Oh yeah, and Vancouver fans. :)

16. Ender says:

Funny thing is if it were 1979-80, Stan weir would be outscoring everyone on the team but Hemsky.

17. choppystride says:

Stan Weir is the best leader in hockey history. He once gave a pre-game speech in front of a pack of tampons. It inspired every one of them to work for 3 periods.

18. Bruce says:

Uhh, if it were 1979-80 we’d be talking about a lot more than Stan Weir.

28 years ago tomorrow (one calendrical “Solar cycle”, so it was a Saturday as well) Wayne Gretzky scored 2 goals and 4 assists to lead the pimple-faced Oilers to a shocking 8-5 blowout right in Maple Leaf Gardens and seen coast-to-coast on Hockey Night in Canada. For many people esp. in Eastern Canada it was one of their earliest looks at the Great One, and his virtuoso performance remains an indelible moment. Wayne basically won his first Hart Trophy that night, as the game symbolized the late-season goal-scoring explosion that dragged the underdog Oilers into 16th spot. He also stuck it to the fucking Leafs and Harold Ballard, who less than a year earlier had very nearly thwarted Edmonton’s entry into the NHL. It was a sweet, sweet night, one of my favourite games ever.

It was also the greatest NHL game for the late Don Ashby, who in the fire hydrant role on Gretzky’s left wing notched 3 goals and 3 assists against the team that drafted both him and his new/old teammate Stan Weir. Acquired for Bobby Schmautz a month before his big night, Ashby couldn’t quite cut it with the Oilers the following season, and was very unfortunately killed in an auto accident at the end of that season while driving home from Wichita.

Ashby posted 121 points in 88 regular season and playoff games with the Wind that 1980-81 season, but after half a dozen early games he never got the recall to the big club. Hard to believe Ashby couldn’t stick in Edmonton given the (remarkably symmetric) numbers he posted as an Oiler that spring and fall of 1980:

24 GP, 12-12-24, even

Now here’s the best part: I had this vague recollection that Stan Weir scored on a penalty shot in that game, so I googled “Stan Weir penalty shot” and wouldn’t you know but the fucking thing is on youtube! You gotta see this:

Stan Weir is not afraid of mice.

Finally if you got a ten minutes to kill on a good time, I found this beauty package that has highlights of the other 7 Oiler goals in that game, with a little more Weir footage (an assist this time), a couple of shots of Don Ashby’s fabulous hockey smile, a heaping helping of Gretzky, and a prescient remark by Bill Hewitt (~8:43):

19. dwillms says:

I’m looking for a pair of tickets for Saturday night’s game in Calgary. I know it’s a longshot, but if you have anything, please let me know.

I’ve never been to a game before, coming into town for the weekend. I’d love to see the game, and I’m willing to pay a good price.

Thanks!

20. Bruce says:

During the back-and-forth about Joni Pitkanen in the (last) Colorado game day thread, Coach PB 9617 suggested that I check out the Oilers record inc. GF/GA with and without Pitkanen in the line-up. It was a good suggestion, and since he asked me so nicely, Vic, I decided to check it out.

Well the results are fairly telling and worth recounting, given that Pitkanen’s future is probably the biggest single question hanging over Kevin Lowe this off-season. Here’s the gross numbers for 2007-08:

Oilers overall record: 39-34-5, +225/-241, .532

With Joni in line-up: 32-23-4, +178/-175, .576
    Joni out of the line-up: 7-11-1, +47/-66, .441

Well that’s a bit of an eye-opener isn’t it? And my compliments to Coach PB 9617 for a pretty astute observation (esp. for a 14-year-old, eh Coach? :o )

Well before I got too excited about those numbers, I decided to ditch the shootout noise in favour of the signal that is actual hockey. For one thing, Pitkanen has not been involved in a shootout all year – the one he might have, the marathon in Washington, was a game he left in the first period with (yet another) minor injury. So I reworked the information in the traditional format, considering overtime wins and losses as actual wins and losses, and all shootouts as ties. And I made the ersatz “goals” disappear.

Oilers record in actual hockey: 24-36-18, +210/-238, .423

With Joni dressed: 21-25-13, +167/-173, .471
    Joni on the shelf: 3-11-5, +43/-65, .289

Well if anything that makes the picture more starkly clear, even though the record with Joni sinks below .500 and his goal-differential submerges from positive to negative, the performance of the team without him speaks volumes. This shows up well in per-game GF/GA:

With Joni: +2.83 / -2.93
    Without: +2.26 / -3.42

Wow! that’s half a goal in each direction. Hard to argue with numbers like those.

But I’m an argumentative son of a bitch, and I will always argue that numbers need to be put in context. So perhaps that’s too simple. Pitkanen missed 13 games early in the season, when the Oilers (esp. Roloson, who was playing himself out of the #1 job) were struggling with or without him. Since then it’s just been the odd game here and there, unfortunately critical games like Fight Night in Vancouver or the last visit to Colorado. But Pitkanen has been in the line-up for most of the Oilers’ post-All-Star run. Did the Oilers slump because Pitkanen was out? Or is Pitkanen’s record inflated because he happened to miss the slump?

Well there’s no perfect answer to that, but I decided to look specifically at the opening two months, when Oilers mostly struggled, and Pitkanen missed exactly half of those games. So:

With Joni: 4-7-2, +31/-37, .385
    Without: 1-7-5, +27/-41, .269

So still a significant difference in Joni’s favour, although not quite the yawning gulf of the season-long study. Extending the principle to per-game goal scoring to that same group of 26 games:

Joni in: +2.38/ -2.85
    Joni out: +2.08 / -3.15

So a smaller difference of “just” 0.3 on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ledger.

Fuck, I think I am convinced.

21. Oilman says:

Bruce,

Can you delete that post before Joni’s agent gets wind of it?

Thanks

22. MattM says:

Bruce, that’s some good stuff right there. It’s always nice when you can run some numbers and they reflect what you see qualitatively. I’d be interested to see what some of Vic’s possession stats look like with the same splits.

23. Bruce says:

Can you delete that post before Joni’s agent gets wind of it?

Oilman: I’m actually hoping K-Lowe reads it. :)

Btw — and you had to know this was coming — I decided to extend the method to another Oiler who has been in and out of the line-up this year. My impression was that the Oilers have performed much better with this guy at ice level, and so it would seem:

With Stortini: 23-27-12, +175/-183, .467
    Without Zack: 1-9-6, +35/-55, .250

With 46: +2.82 / -2.95
    Without: +2.19 / -3.44

Again more than half a goal in each direction. So depending on your feelings about Zack, you can take this as spectacular confirmation of his essential contribution, or you can take it as proof positive that my method is completely useless, and so is Stortini.

I’m actually somewhere in the middle, I do think 46 helps, but not to that extreme! The whole team has been improving since the time he became a regular, and he’s just a small part of the reason, he doesn’t play enough to have a Pitkanen-type influence to say the least. (And NO Slipper, I am NOT comparing them!!!!)

That said, the one game 46 missed since New Year’s was the 7-2 debacle in Raleigh, the Oilers worst loss of the entire season. Maybe his teammates were all “two inches shorter and ten pounds lighter” that night? Not that simple, I’m sure, but the evidence is what it is, and it’s surprising to say the least.

24. PunjabiOil says:

LOL oilman

Though I do wonder if NHL executives/players/agents/GM’s/coaches go on blogs/sites.

We saw Katz mention he knew he had support, after going on fan sites.

25. PunjabiOil says:

Stan Weir can sneeze with his eyes open.

Stan Weir is suing Myspace for taking the name of what he calls everything around you.

Stan Weir doesn’t actually write books, the words assemble themselves out of fear.

Stan Weir CAN believe it’s not butter.

Stan Weir always knows the EXACT location of Carmen SanDiego

Stan Weir grinds his coffee with his teeth and boils the water with his own rage.

It takes Stan Weir 20 minutes to watch 60 Minutes

When Stan Weir does a pushup, he isn’t lifting himself up, he’s pushing the Earth down

Tom Clancy has to pay royalties to Stan Weir because “The Sum of All Fears” is the name of Chuck Norris’ autobiography.

Stan Weir doesn’t step on toes. He steps on necks

Before I take credit for any of these:

26. choppystride says:

When Stan Weir says “there will be blood”, there will be blood.

Nobody dares to drink Stan Weir’s milkshake.

Stan Weir drinks his enemies’ milkshakes while he watches 2 Girls 1 Cup.

Stan Weir’s adventures are always excellent. His journeys are never bogus.

Stan Weir loves the smell of napalm in the morning, in the afternoon, and especially at night.

Stan Weir saved Private Ryan.

When the Oracle is stuck, she asks Stan Weir for advice.

Stan Weir has a history of violence.

Tarantino confides in his friends that it was actually Stan Weir who killed Bill.

Tigers crouch and dragons hide when they see Stan Weir.

W = double the vendetta.

Stan Weir kicks ass in Quidditch. In his debut season, he really should have won rookie of the year.

Stan Weir’s instinct is very basic.

Borat thinks Stan Weir is not nice.

To prepare for Luke’s training, Yoda had to read “Jedi Training for Dummies” written by Stan Weir.

The ring thinks Stan Weir is its precious.

Actually, it was Stan Weir whom Iceman really wanted to be his wingman.

The greatest regret the Devil ever had was he could not convince the world that Stan Weir does not exist. But it really didn’t matter after all.

Stan Weir found Nemo.

Stan Weir outran Lola.

Women think Stan Weir is a sexy beast.

Stan Weir seduced Mrs Robinson.

Trinity left Neo for Stan Weir.

Sexy Hermione is under the spell of Stan Weir.

The ultimatum was issued by Stan Weir.

Stan Weir organized Zomb-Aid.

Anton Chigurh challenged Stan Weir to coin flips. Chigurh lost all his coins and gave up.

Stan Weir discovered the inconvenient truth.

finally….

Stan Weir will have his vengeance, in this season or the next (or the next, or the next, or the next…).

27. Dennis says:

Bruce: Nice to see you coming around. Hey, I don’t think Joni’s worth the moon and I don’t like him as much as an Oiler as I did as a Flyer, but even though I’m a big fan of his, even I suffer from marking him harder because of his potential.

But I’m still on his side at the end of the discussion.

So, who’s going for the Avs tonight? Foote, Forsberg, Gusarov?

28. namflashback says:

I think it was a Matheson article (sorry on the laziness to hunt for the link), but the Oilers were starting at 3.5 per for Joni and the player’s agent was at 4.5 per amd for some length. Assuming that is avg cap hit — even at Joni’s top end that is completely reasonable.

//If Katz happens to be reading THIS post, I would tell him to tell Lowe that he’s got the goods to buy out Moreau and that he shouldn’t trade Raffi.//

You keep both Moreau and Torres for now (and Reasoner and Pouliot), and trade Stoll.

Character and team leadership is important. You need both Moreau and Staios, in case one of them gets injured. Character may not be important in “moneypuck” hockey. In real hockey, it is.

30. P says:

Stan Weir put Luongo into an early and untimely fatherhood.

31. Oilman says:

Bruce….good catch on the “probably around 200″ line….

32. Coach pb9617 says:

Fuck, I think I am convinced.

That sir, was a great job. Thank you.

33. PDO says:

The last time I took a dive like Liles did to draw the 5 on 3, my girlfriend had just had a Brazillian job for the first time.

What a fucking horrendous fucking call to put a team on a 5 on 3 and turn the fucking game around.

Fucks sake.

34. honkey says:

Oilers getting killed by Mr Forsberg.

35. uni says:

Well at least I started drinking beers at work…come on boys, score 2 to tie it up before I start to sober up!

36. uni says:

Tommy Boy!

Oiler rookie defenceman record! Now to break it hee hee.

37. Mr DeBakey says:

Gilbert Gilbert avec le But!

38. uni says:

Dear god, Stoll with an EV goal!

Weir is in the house!

39. uni says:

Also these commentators have done their research. Right on the money with the Gilbert rookie record tying and Stoll with only his 3rd EV goal this season.

Staios didn’t fare well there either.

40. PDO says:

My head just exploded.

41. uni says:

Wow, if he’s turning it back on, this would be the time to do it. Nice move by Stoll, almost got it high enough.

42. Bruce says:

Quite the period. Props to the Oilers for tuning it around. When Theodore made that save-of-the-year-candidate at 2-0 I thought we really needed to score on that powerplay. 8 seconds later, ta-da.
    That was huge.

43. honkey says:

GlenX must be resigned this summer.

44. Shawn says:

it’s killing me being at work and nto having a feed to watch

45. uni says:

Oh noes, not another wild game.

Also I forgot to put Forsberg back in my lineup tonight damn it.

46. HBomb says:

Why the hell didn’t one of the forwards give Pitkanen their stick there? Shit….

Someone put Foreskin through the boards. He looks like he got hit over the head and thinks it’s 1997 or something tonight….and I don’t like it.

47. uni says:

Shawn try the following link:

Link

I hope it posted this time.

48. Bruce says:

Bad break there, Foote came out of the box and out of nowhere to hit Pitkanen and knock his stick out of his hands. Then in our zone Brodz missed the chance to give Pitkanen his stick, and then didn’t get position on Joni’s man either. Two rookie mistakes in about one second. Pretty hard to play around the goal crease without a stick, and the forward has to help out somehow.

49. Coach pb9617 says:

Is there some sort of broadcast rule that states that everyone must say Ben Guite’s full name every shift?

Everyone on the ice is lastname. Everyone, that is, except Ben Guite.

50. Shawn says:

Uni I could kiss you

51. Coach pb9617 says:

Gagner’s half-slapper reminds me of another half-slapper of days gone by…

52. Shawn says:

There are just guys like that for some reason. For some reason Peca was always Michael Peca or Mike Peca.

There was one guy on the Smoke Eaters I did that with this year. Always called him Ryan Hill. No idea why. Especially because his name was Tom! (just kidding…)

53. uni says:

Awesome, Glencross, Stoll, Gagner, and Gilbert all have their 13th goal tonight haha. That has to be symbolic of something =).

Also my feed cut off for the last 3 goals for the exact moments of the goals hee hee.

54. PunjabiOil says:

Sam Gagner knows how to celebrate.

I would like nothing for the Oilers to prove me wrong and make the playoffs.

It’s pretty simple – have to go 3-0 in the remaining games.

We play Vancouver, so assuming the Oilers win that HTH (and go 3-0), the Canucks have to win all their remaining 3 other games finish ahead of the Oilers.

It’s those nuggets in Nashville that are posing to be a problem. If the Oilers go 3-0, Nashville has to win 3 out of their remaining 4 to finish ahead of the Oilers (3 of them on the road).

Again, the opportunity is there – but you just darn wish they took care of their own business by beating one of Minnesota, Colorado, or Vancouver in recent weeks.

55. Bruce says:

That sir, was a great job. Thank you.

Thanks for the suggestion, Coach. You were absolutely right.

Bruce….good catch on the “probably around 200″ line….

Yeah, I remember hearing it at the time and thinking, yeah maybe … Hewitt might have been the first to say it aloud, but I recall talking to my buds during the first intermission of the first game of the 1981-82 season and calling Wayne to get 200 points that season (80-120). I got the assists bang on, and came up a little light on the goals! So even my ultra-optimistic prediction turned out to be “conservative” … such was the magic of the Great One. But considering the (brand new) league record was 164 points at the time, I thought it was a pretty ballsy call. :)

56. Dennis says:

Anyone else think 25′s playing way too safe tonight? Can’t remember the last time I’ve seen him this timid when it comes to jumping into the play? Also, anyone else remember the play where he takes the pass from 78 and gets to within a half-stride of centre but then inexplicably ices the puck? That fucking just about gutted me.

Season’s just about over so not much point in talking about all the nice little plays that 78 makes. The guy might never score more than 40 points but he’s an NHLer from where I sit.

I had a little chuckle when 20′s line scored on Forsberg’s because that’s the only like the Avs really have going tonight.

If we ran our bench with the sole purpose of keeping the kids away from 21′s line; just how much closer would that put us to a win?

2 really reminds me of Jason Smith when he handles the puck.

Lately I’ve mentioned how 89 is now starting to hang out in the slot and looking to score a little more and before he clanked one in off the iron, he’d previously drilled one off Theo after having out in the deep slot. It’s almost as if the kid’s not gained sufficent confidence in his set-up abilities so now he’s taking to trying to score a few more goals.

57. Coach pb9617 says:

Thanks for the suggestion, Coach. You were absolutely right.

In arguing Pitkanen’s case previously, I had to start digging. What I found amazed me — a half goal each way! As I kept the W/L, the GF/GA, the svpct – it all mysteriously goes up when he’s on the ice :)

58. Bruce says:

What’s with these icing calls tonight?

59. Bruce says:

Way to go, Stevie!!!

60. Loxy says:

I’m just listening to the game.. but did Forsberg spear Stevie?

61. uni says:

Staios with a beauty shift there. Flattens Forsberg, then Forsberg gets off his game looking to retaliate, misses on Pitkanen then takes a run at Staois and gets sidestepped and hits the boards instead. Then Staios gets him off with a coincidental minor =).

62. Bruce says:

First time I’ve ever seen a diving penalty off a spear. Isn’t about time Forsberg’s diplomatic immunity got revoked? He’s the King Diver of all time as far as I’m concerned.

63. Bruce says:

You’re right, Loxy, they even called it a spear in the end. Two for spearing, two for diving. Never seen it before in my life.

64. Mr DeBakey says:

What’s with these icing calls tonight?

There’s been a lot of passes to where the guy was,
    instead of where he is going.

65. Jay says:

According to the NHL Rulebook, even a spear that doesn’t make contact is a double minor. So I have no idea what in the hell that call was about.

66. Bruce says:

Yeah, I’m thinking of the ones cleared in from six inches outside of centre, or the one where the linesman beat the puck to the icing line but Hannan dawdled and got the call.

Oilers are having lots of trouble getting the puck in deep tonight.

I think that has to be considered a “good penalty” by Nilsson.

67. Bruce says:

Hey it was a double minor, two for spearing and two for getting speared.

68. Bruce says:

Salei tackles Pisani, but that’s not a good penalty, in fact it’s not apenalty at all.

Shitty reffing just now.

69. Bruce says:

Goalie interference??? I’m starting to get pissed off.

70. Jay says:

If Pisani was a quarterback, and this was a game of pointy-ball, that would have been a good non-call.

71. Bruce says:

Coach … can you see why Pitkanen drives me fucking nuts? Doesn’t step up to a puck, then does step up tooo late and gives up a clean 2-on-1. Brutal.

72. Bruce says:

GREAT block by Brodziak. No rookie mistake that time. Wow.

73. Jay says:

FUCKING Sakic

74. Shawn says:

That sure hurts. Just a tough tough pill.

75. Jay says:

And thanks to the loser point, it pretty much doesn’t matter what happens in OT.

76. honkey says:

Wouldnt it be nice if Roloson had come up with a gamebreaking save right there?

77. Jay says:

The boys look pretty down on the bench…

78. doritogrande says:

Mother Fucking Joe Sakic. What the hell is Ales fucking Hemsky doing out with Fernando Pisani, and Kyle Brodziak on the bench? That Bettman point’s on the coach.

79. Bruce says:

Yeah, lots of bodies falling in the slot there. Forsbearwith blatant faceoff interference, for one. Of course, the refs bend over to fellate his greatness.

80. Alice says:

The av’s point matters not at all, it’s Van we really have the shot with anyhow. Need the OT though…

81. Jay says:

Big save by Roli on Arnason there…I wouldn;t really blame him for the 4th, either. That was scrambly, scrambly minute from the Oil.

82. uni says:

This is a goddamn heart wrenching game. This team is going to give me a heart attack.

83. doritogrande says:

Ok, someone shoot Garon full of Cortisone, and get him the fuck out there.

84. Jay says:

Is Morrison on the bench?

85. Bruce says:

All of a sudden our whole blueline corps got the yips. Brutal turnovers by Pitkanen, Grebeshkov, Gilbert, Grebeshkov again, Gilbert again …

86. BenJammin says:

Did anyone else notice that on the scoring chance right before the tying goal that Forsberg rammed his stick between Staios’s legs and tried to pitchfork him into the net? On the replay you can see Stevie wincing, but he remained on the ice for the next faceoff. Hell of a game by #24.

87. uni says:

Wow, how did Nilsson pull that off!

88. BenJammin says:

Ouch.

89. doritogrande says:

Downs rest of beer.

Sheds single tear.

Rolls into bed.

90. rider guy says:

why the **** can ray ferraro figure out what they’re going to do in the shoot out and our goalie can’t figure it out?

91. K says:

quick. someone roll out some stats to show what needs to be done to sneak back in.

do this while i go off to die in bed.

please, thank you.

92. Jay says:

ookay…

Avs just made Roli look silly, 3 times. Out of his league silly.

Instead of 88 and 85, it’s 90 and 84. I realize Colorado wasn’t our best bet, but that’s still a huge loss.

93. Shawn says:

Wow, Roloson was absoltuely abysmal in the shoot out. The saves he’s not making are the difference that one or two years of a goalie’s life can make. They’re also the difference between playoffs and not making it.

94. Sean M. says:

God dammit…

Why can’t we play Columbus?

95. uni says:

Well, there’s still a chance, but that really really hurt there.

Good effort, that damn Sakic. Not much Rollie could do on that tying goal though, crowd in front and 3 Avs shirts were nearer to the puck.

96. danny says:

Excellent effort by the Oilers tonight.

I have to ask, where was the call on Salei when he ran over Pisani? Where was the call when Hejduk ran over Roloson? Where were the interference calls on the 3 faceoffs with under 1:00 left in the game?

Tough breaks. very tough.

Its fitting that despite a brilliant run, an injury to Garon made teh difference in them not making the playoffs.

I can’t say I realle xpected Roloson to make any saves in the shootout… is that a clear indication of what that team was up against?

97. Bruce says:

Wow Roli just gave up more goals in two minutes than Garon has in 10 shootouts. Not sure if I blame him exactly, those guys executed, but shit, one stop would have been nice. Say, off Sakic with 6 seconds left.

Some honest officiating would have been nice as well.

(I am not a happy camper just now)

98. Bruce says:

I was wondering the same thing. Staios gasping for breath after being blatantly fouled twice by Forsberg on the previous play, decent checkers on the bench, no timeout, and what the fuck is Hemsky doing out there?

Agreed on ALL counts, Danny, not to mention the coincidental spearing penalty. It was like OK, they’re behind, it’s a big game, let’s put our whistles away and let Colorado just hack the Oilers to bits.

Terrible, terrible officiating, and I hope MacT takes the fine.

99. PunjabiOil says:

Roloson was way too deep in his net in the shootout goals.

It’s been a year of injuries. The Garon injury was the final nail in the coffin.

Disappointing year overall (missing playoffs always is), but the team & good young players stepped it up in 2008. Good things to look forward too next year.

100. Dennis says:

Of course we have to win the last three games and if we do that we have a great chance of catching the Dys given one of our games is in Van. Nsh worries me because of their soft sked but at least right now we’re tied with them in wins at 39.

Roli looked absolutely lose in that SO; he was less than pathetic on Sakic’s score.

16 lost two late draws clean as a whistle to Sakic and that didn’t help our cause.

And I love the kid but 89 is, at least by my memory, 1 for his last 12 or 13 in the SO. That’s it, pull the kid and replace him with 34 or maybe even 78 given that guy’s taken a few of these in the A this year. And, for fucksakes, have 83 shooting Before 89.

That’s all I’ve got for now. I’ll get into the remaining picture once LT posts his Cgy pre-game thread.

This one’s very tough to take.

101. HBomb says:

Game story: Junk officiating and Roloson’s weak glove hand cost the Oilers a CRITICAL point.

Fuck.

102. Shawn says:

I know they’ve got two teams to pass, but two points behind with three games left is not an impossible task.

What we need to figure out is how does Edmonton stand up with the tie breaker. Is it head to head? In that case it doesn’t look good with either Nashville or Vancouver.

103. Shawn says:

You’re right, Gagner’s move isn’t working anymore. They caught on.

104. PunjabiOil says:

The difference is Nashville has 4 games left and an easy schedule – St. Louis * 2, unmotivated Detroit, and Chicago).

Vancouver also has 4 games left, and all of them are on home ice.

What cost the Oilers? Inability to beat divisional opponents & Nashville all year in regulation. Those shoot-out wins come at a cost.

IFf the Oilers run the table and go 3-0 (Cgy * 2, Vancouver), Nashville can’t do any better than 4 points (2-2) for the Oilers to make the playoffs.

If the Oilers go 3-0, Vancouver needs to get 5 or more points in their 4 games. Given they would lose to the Oilers, they too can’t do better than 2-2.

So basically, it comes down to hoping Nashville/Vancouver don’t do better than .500 in their games, and the Oilers win all 3 games.

Not going to be easy.

The only encouraging this is, Nashville has the upperhand on Vancouver at the moment. Nashville has the tie-breaker. If Nashville goes just 2-2, Vancouver needs to go at least 2-1-1. The Oilers may be in a position to knock out Vancouver next thursday.

Misery loves company, don’tcha think?

105. PunjabiOil says:

You’re right, Gagner’s move isn’t working anymore. They caught on.

Over the long run, shoot out %’s fall. It was a crazy streak, but overall, both Gagner and Hemsky are shooting in the 30%’s in the shootout.

The only reason for the ridiculous success in the shootout is Garon. I don’t know if that’s repeatable, so it’s a good idea if they start winning in regulation.

I missed the game (a rare game night conflict) but my friend Troy kept me updated. A tough loss and an even tougher game tomorrow night.

107. Vic Ferrari says:

Great stuff, Bruce. Just when I’d given up on you. :D

Pitkanen is a difference maker at 5on 5 for sure. He gets the puck to the right end of the rink a lot. And that creates scoring chances. And sets up the next shift to start in the better end of the rink more too.

The save precentage behind him is a near enough the team average (a shade under) and the shooting% is higher when he’s on the ice. Which seems to be the most common way that it shakes out for the best offensive 5v5 defensemen most years.

Having said that, a diff of .6 goals-per-game has a lot of luck in it. The last guy who came close to that sort of impact on gamelines was Hasek in the late 90′s. .15 or .2 would be a huge number.

I think Scott Ferguson was terrific at this too, no? Or maybe just the Ws and Ls and not the goal diff, I can’t remember.

Having said that … It’s a lot easier to get on a streak of 7′s if your dice are heavily weighted. You make a good case for Joni I think.

108. mc79hockey says:

Roloson was way too deep in his net in the shootout goals.

Amen to that. Just an atrocious performance. Row-bear’s goal was something else though.

Quite a get together in TO tonight: myself, AG, Fenwick, Pat, Chris!, mike w. and Alana, along with assorted friends and hangers on. I think Mike’s got some video from the end of the shootout.

This team needs to learn how to lock games down. They’ve been getting away with these wild rodeo finishes but you can only dance with the devil so many times. It’s going to take time but that was just a wild game for about the last ten minutes. Pretty heartbreaking end.

109. Dennis says:

It is great fun watching a team with this much creativity but with this current line-up being bereft of dependable guys like 10-14-18, when you dance with the one that brought you, there are going to be missteps.

For instance, I was watching the line rotation with about 5 min left and MacT shelved the 4th line save 51 and put him in 78′s stead alongside 19-34. So, time is ticking down and here comes the kid line with just over a min left. It’s a learning process and that’s why I’m not going to get overly upset when we most likely miss the playoffs.

And that’s just mentioning the forwards and we know that we need another year’s exp for the D along with adding another vet besides.

Of course this nothing to excuse MacT for not taking a TO to rest his guys and/or not having the right guys out in the situation, either.