Oilers at Blue Jackets, G68/07-08

This is Tim Raines. He’ll always be my favorite baseball player for lots of reasons: first to third on a single to left, stolen bases when everyone knew he was going, always throwing to the right base, a beautiful swing from both sides of the plate and a battler in every at-bat. You always got the feeling something would happen when Raines was at the plate and he had a long, productive career that stops just short of the HOF.

He is currently (apparently) the hitting coach for the Harrisburg Senators (Eastern League) and if I still followed baseball (the game died in 1994) the Nationals would be my team.

Did you know Washington had a team when I was a kid? The Senators. Ted Williams was the manager for a time, they had a monster named Frank Howard who hit homers and some nice players like Mike Epstein, Eddie Brinkman and Toby Harrah (although Harrah didn’t do much until the team moved to Texas). I once worked at a radio station that allowed people who knew nothing about sports to deliver it and recall laughing at a newsman’s pronounciation of Harrah (more HURR-AHHH that HAIR-UH).

Columbus loves their baseball. The Clippers (AAA) are the minor league affiliate of the Washington Nationals. Currently the team has about 5 players on their roster, including a pitcher named Mike Bascik. I owned his dad’s baseball card 30 years ago, and he played for the Texas Rangers (formerly Washington Senators) at the beginning of his career. The beautiful thing about baseball is there’s always something to talk about.

As for the hockey game, I’m left to enjoy the kid line, wonder if Pouliot got caught in the transporter and is caught between Springfield and Columbus. If he’s with the big club, I hope he plays and does something to earn another game.

This is what baseball people call running out the string. Jesus Murphy is that an apt phrase.

82 Responses to "Oilers at Blue Jackets, G68/07-08"

1. Oilman says:

Was 1994 the year of the Stirke, or the year Tim changed his name to Rock? Either way, I can see why interest waned;o)

2. Psyche says:

Another sweet post LT. Tim Raines, Andre Dawson and Gary Carter – the heroes of my childhood.

I really would like to see the Oilers dress Peckham for tonight. He may eventually bring to the defence what Stortini is bringing to the forward unit – piss and vinegar!

And for you LT, I hope to see Pouliot draw in. Maybe he should go back to MAP? Anything may help his play at the NHL level right now.

3. Oilman says:

Gary Carter – the reason I’m a Mets fan instead of a Nationals fan…I was 11 when he was traded and I switched allegiance.

4. danny says:

Its funny how so many Expos fans really trace their last love affair with baseball back to 1994.

I remember growing up and my friends following Gretzky around, becoming Kings fans and such, i could never understand how they switched allegiances like that, I just always knew it was wrong… even as a kid the lack of loyalty seemed bigger than the game.

I began to understand a little better though, being a hardcore Celtics fan in my youth, and when we were abandoned by ownership after the greats retired, I found myself migrating more and more each year to becoming a Raptors fan…

That migration never did happen in baseball. Since 1994, my love for baseball has disappeared, left behind with only my hatroit for the Blue Jays, as I’m sure is a lingering trait of many a fan that Montreal has left behind.

5. Bruce says:

Expos were always my second-favourite, I’ve been a Cardinals fan more or less since birth and a home-country team didn’t quite do enough to change my allegiance the way a home-TOWN team did in hockey.

So the 1994 strike didn’t bite quite as deeply, although I too have never totally forgiven the Grand Old Game either. One thing that helped see me through was financial considerations: I was in third place in the Edm.Journal’s baseball draft at the time of the “work stoppage”, largely thanks to a breakout season by Jeff Bagwell who broke his hand the day before the strike. So my attitude was, “You guys want to be fucking mercenaries? Fine. So do I.” So when the season ended prematurely, Bagwell’s injury became irrelevant, his great stats to that point held up, and I was a cool $2,000 richer. So that took a lot of sting off the strike.

I remember the second generation Washington Senators, LT, but not the first generation team that became the Minnesota Twins just as they were finally getting good. In 1961 they were replaced with an expansion team that continued to suck in Washington’s “First in War, First in Peace, Last in the American League” tradition. Only when Teddy Ballgame managed them all the way up to fourth (!) in their division in 1969 were they remotely interesting. Oh yeah, and anytime Frank Howard came up to bat. His media nickname was “The Capital Punisher”, the players called him “Hondo” but in retrospect a better nickname for him would have been “Zdeno”. He was an imposing 6’7, 260 lbs., truly monstrous in the 1960s. Howard once hit 10 homers in 6 games, in just 20 official at-bats. Another time he struck out 7 times in a doubleheader. The one thing he did consistently was scare the bejeezus out of every pitcher in the league.

Your mention of Toby Harrah got me thinking of palindromes in sports. Off the top of my head I can only come up with a few in hockey: Joel Otto, Jiri Latal, Gary and Joffrey Lupul. No doubt there’s more, but palindromic surnames are pretty uncommon. Harrah is the only one that comes to mind with as many as six letters.

6. David says:

According to the Oilers website, “Theo Peckham will play his first career NHL game tonight. Mathieu Roy (shoulder) and Ladislav Smid (ankle/knee) will both be on the sidelines… Marc Pouliot draws in for Geoff Sanderson (back)…”

7. doritogrande says:

This is a time where we start looking for little moral victories to keep us going.

Like how everyone’s favourite rat is out 6 weeks. Thank you Jose Theodore! http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=231441&hubname=

8. Iffy says:

This is a little off topic LT …

I’m surprised I didn’t find out about Clear Day Rosters from you!

I find it interesting that you see Cogliano, Smid, Stortini, and Nilsson on this list.

9. namflashback says:

iffy — that was a good measure for the Oilers to take that could benefit the Falcons IF they make the playoffs.

Falcons are in a precarious position. And now are missing one of their best forwards and (by all reports) one of their better D.

10. Bruce says:

15 games after the All-Star break, the Oilers have been hanging tough despite injuries to key and/or expensive players. It has been this observer’s impression that throughout this period it’s been the younger players who have been driving the team bus. A review of the Oilers’ +/- figures during that period certainly appears to support that view (2007-08 salaries in parentheses):

[DISINGENUITY DISCLAIMER: The following is presented as raw data. It does not differentiate between "tough" and "soft" minutes. It also doesn't account for special teams performance.]

Nilsson ($0.942) +5
    Gilbert ($0.835) -5
    Pitkanen ($2.400) -8
    Hemsky ($3.600) -9
    Penner ($4.250) -10

8 plus or even players, average salary $0.723 MM

13 minus players, average salary $2.237 MM

Horcoff played one game after the break, Souray and Torres none, Roli’s been a mop-up man, and the rest of the veterans don’t appear to be carrying their weight by the above metric. Interpreting it as charitably as I can, the guys with the bigger paycheques are, by and large, drawing the tougher minutes, but clearly they are not outscorers. That the team has gone 8-7-0 during this period can largely be credited to the younger, cheaper players and the younger, cheaper goalie. The kids have been all right.

11. Dennis says:

I’ve been keeping an eye on the Post and Times for all the Nats coverage and they’ll have a strong bullpen, offense should be better, starting pitching is a question and they have a chance to fill up the police blotter as well.

I was always one of the guys who said it wouldn’t matter if the team moved and I was all-in back in ’05 because there was no hockey to obsess over. But then the Oil went on that run in ’06 and the Nats struggled out of the gate and I lost interest. As soon as you stop knowing who the kids are that show up on the 25 man rosters, then you’re done and I lost the will to follow it as closely as I once did.

Danny-Oilman: I hate guys who follow a player from team to team. I just think that’s wrong. Following a team is about this player or that player coming to the forefront; if you’re following a certain player it’s like you don’t even care what everyone else does. I just don’t understand that.

I watched the Ducks/Avs last night and I was thinking pre-injury that the Ducks have had amazing luck when it comes to that. Sure you had Neidermayer and Selanne pulling their respective Clemens, but guys like Perry-Getzlaf-Pronger, none of those fellows were touched. Well now with Perry out I don’t think they have enough juice to catch Dallas and they’re probably not gonna have home-ice advantage so here we go.

Nice to see Pouliot get the call and you hope that if he performs well, Sanderson’s injury never heals;) Not sure how much we can trust MacT though after that time he HSed Thor the game after he’d scored a goal.

Him and Peckham at least gives us a reason to watch the game though. Looks more and more like the Oilers are gonna be 7th overall or worse, ie they had a little streak and were so lucky in doing so, conventional wisdom says we’re about to go in the tank again, so you have to try and ignore that and find positives in the kids.

As for Bruce’s stats, Penner’s been the heights of garbage lately and is just as ‘effective’ as he was back at the start of the season.

12. Dennis says:

Listening to some of Van Wilder’s show, young Graham is hosting because Van’s one of those people who think CIAU sports are ‘real’, and the word is that 51′s moving up to play with 19-34 while Pouliot will pivot 20-46.

I know the 4th line hasn’t been creating like it was – and we knew that couldn’t keep that up – but why not keep them together and put Pouliot would two guys that he played with last season?

This is the kind of move that could potentially fuck two lines.

13. Oilman says:

“Danny-Oilman: I hate guys who follow a player from team to team. I just think that’s wrong.”

Dennis – I was 11, the mets won the wrold series the nest year, and I was introduced to Gooden and Strawberry….so you know, shit happens….personally, i hate guys who think that their opinions matter over all others – call us even;o)

14. speeds says:

I get what you’re saying Dennis, but seeing if Pouliot can play as a 4th line C, going forward into the upcoming seasons, has more value IMO than keeping the 4th line together at the moment.

If it’s not a good fit, then the team can feel free to swap Brodziak for Pouliot at some point in the game.

15. Bank Shot says:

What’s the difference between those complaing about Pouliot not getting a good enough chance/ linemates/not enough hugs, and those that complain about Schremp not getting the same?

I think there is none. Pouliot has already gotten chances upon chances to prove himself. About 60 of them. Perhaps if he wants an NHL job he should hitch up his pants like young Brodziak and seize one.

I saw Peckham play for the Falcons a wek or two ago and he was logging alot of icetime, and looked much better then I’ve ever seen him. I don’t think he’s near to NHL ready at the moment, but at least he seems like the type of player who won’t let his confidence be destroyed by getting a little embarrased in a national league jersey.

16. PDO says:

I’ve never seen anyone as effecting at writing segues as you Lain.

Beauty post.

As for tonight?

Drive for 25, baby!

I also have a bit more to watch than the kid line. I’m enjoying Grebeshkov. Hemsky is continuing to mature. I’m curious to see how Garon can hold up as the minutes, shots and games pile up. I want to see if Stoll can get some traction or not…

17. Dennis says:

Oilman: I was 9 when the Expos pulled that trade. I remember coming home for dinner from school and my uncle-by-marriage – he was the guy who helped foster my love of the Expos – called me to tell me about the deal. I was pretty choked about it but I didn’t quit on him. Least of all with a team in our own fucking division;) Even as a 9-year-old, I knew this was wrong:)

Speeds: true enough. That’s a valid point on Pouliot at least finding some kind of ground to put his mark on and, yes, they can switch them around if they’re not working.

Oilman: SEE, I Can value other peoples opinions and know that some of the matter as much, if not more than mine:) Easier to do it with a guy that doesn’t turn on his baseball club though:) I mean, fuck, the Mets? Would you hit on your wife’s sister if SHE was wearing a Carter jersey;)

I hope that one of these days Floyd Youmans kicks you in the ass while Mike Fiztgerald, Hubie Brooks and Herm Winningham cheers him on:)

I can’t imagine cheering for the Mets. Just off the top there’s the Jeff Huson getting picked off first base play, Strawberry hitting the rim opening day, that fucking Seaver-Matlack-Koosman rotation that ate us alive.

I like the Mets better than Mike Schmidt. After that, I’m out.

Peckham gets a stat!

20. HBomb says:

OT, somewhat, from the “You’ve got to be fucking kidding me” department of irony.

If there is a team that has no basis to bitch about other team’s playing dirty, considering they employed Matt Cooke for so long and still have Ryan Kesler and Alex Burrows, it’s that Canucks.

Now back to your regularly scheduled game day commentary….

21. PDO says:

Penner, from about the 13:00 to the 12:00 minute mark, just had one of the worst shifts I’ve ever seen by any single player.

He got caught out of position and allowed a good scoring chance, had a failed clearing attempt, was out of position to be an outlet pass, forced a pass to Hemsky when he should’ve carried the puck, and then outright missed a pass from Hemsky that could’ve sent him in alone…

Lordy.

22. Dennis says:

- Pouliot looked good taking a couple of passes off his skates without missing stride though he did flub a nice pass in the n zone from 83 when Ales played a couple of shits with 20-78 with 46 in the box. Last shift of the first period 78 snapped off a nice shot from his off-wing and then drove the net and threw the rebound into the crease. He had a good opening shift too even though he was late to that party because Cogs took a a longer shift than his 12-89 linemates.

- Peckham backed off just about every play on his side – which is understandable – looked like his footspeed is a bit lacking but then did manage to jump up on one play as the period ended.

- 12 made a nice backchecking play to start the game but then we didn’t see anything else from that squad outside of the 89 snapper from the left side.

- 51 had some jump and nearly tipped a nice pass from 25.

- I thought 25 had a really nice period

- 20 continues to work his nuts off

- Garon played really well as the Jackets had a few chances from close in.

- Penner’s back to being useless

- Ditto for Stoll at EV

- Oilers as a team couldn’t string together three passes and were really outplayed.

23. Dennis says:

One more note: LT, let’s just call Oilman and a bad person and move on;)

24. Dennis says:

First TV timeout of the second period: This is some bad fucking hockey.

25. PDO says:

Dennis:

Yup.

But Peckham just killed Boll, and I’d be lying if I said that didn’t make me smile.

26. speeds says:

really nice deflection by Pouliot, that went just wide.

Great shot Fernando!!!

27. PDO says:

Pouliot looks like he belongs tonight.

If he works like this every night, I don’t see why he should play another game in the AHL.

Rocket by Fernando, no idea how he got that past Leclaire from that angle.

Pouliot has looked good but since he’s still in the “shift by shift” phase of his career it would be nice to see him do something worthy of getting another game.

That deflection was nice and he was in the scoring zone but let’s hope he does something in the third that makes sitting him out next game a poor option.

29. digger says:

Pouliot’s looking OK, but he’s had lots of “OK” games in the NHL, not nearly enough games where his name shows up on a scoresheet in a positive way.

This would be a great game for him a couple of years ago, but 4 yrs after his draft date and after nearly 3 yrs of AHL time, he needs to do more than meld into the crowd if he wants to leave the AHL life behind for good.

30. Steve says:

Cock.

31. Quain says:

I swear we have to lead the league in goals given up in the last minute versus empty net goals scored. It never wants to be easy.

32. Steve says:

Uncock.

33. PunjabiOil says:

Uncock.

HAHAHAH

digger: I’d say he did fine for his first game since forever at this level but do agree he didn’t do anything to force MacT to play him Sunday.

Cogliano otoh is renewing my faith in his being the next Butch Goring.

35. PunjabiOil says:

Disappointing they couldn’t hold onto leads against Columbus TWO times in the last week. Had they held on both games, they’d be tied with Columbus in points – and that matters when Burke has your 1st round pick.

Though I suppose, since the trade is a sunk cost, from the Oilers perspective, winning the lottery would be beneficial in the sense that the Oilers own their own 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks.

Nash with an assist in a 3-2 Cornell win to start the postseason.

37. Boondock says:

I believe the draft lottery winner only moves up in round 1, and all subsequent rounds are based on the standings.

38. Dennis says:

LT: when’s the latest Nash could finish this postseason? I guess there’s a chance we could bring him out in time for the AHL playoffs?

BTW, even though you’re Marc’s father;) I’m his uncle:D and I can’t agree that he didn’t do anything to force his MacT’s hand into playing him on Sunday. He had three SOG and that tied him with Stoll for the game lead but I’m pretty sure 16 put up at least one of those on the PP.

I’ll agree with Digger that 78 didn’t impress enough for a guy in his third year in AHL, when the choice is a run-down vet in Sanderson and a kid like Pouliot, I just can’t see how you can go back to Sanderson. 78 had numbers comparable to Nilsson’s and we gave him a run so why not do the same for Pouliot? I think that’s what it comes down to.

As for the game, the Oilers would’ve gotten smoked if they’d played a team with actual scoring touch. You can question why Greene was on the ice in the dying min but the bottom line is the Oilers don’t have a lot of guys who you’d want in that situation.

You might get knocked around if you’re young on D and experienced at forward or vice-versa but when you’re young all around, you’re bound to get killed.

Which we have been all year at EV.

39. Bruce says:

Heard most of the game, watched some of it but really only got to see the third period. Was tearing my hair out when Columbus tied it, we’ll take the two points but I’m PO’d about the one, that’s twice this week they’ve plucked a late loser point off us and guess what, they’re 2 points in front of us.

That said, we’ll take the win, any win, at this point. The kids came through for us in OT, nice snap shot by Cogs off a very nice pass from Nilsson. Row-bear keeps delivering the goods, that’s points in 8 of the last 9 gamnes for and +6 in that time; he hasn’t had a minus game since before the All-Star break. Tonight I kept a close eye on him in our zone and thought he was pretty solid.

Peckham acquitted himself fairly well in limited minutes, and really crushed Boll which was great to see. Pouliot was a factor with 3 shots and 5 attempted shots in just 11:00, and looked hungrier to me than he did in October; this was the MAP we saw last March or so. Not wishing ill of Sanderson, but those tricky back injuries can take a while to heal.

On the minus side of the ledger, the three Oilers who stood out for not protecting the puck — a fairly critical skill with a 1-0 lead — were Hemsky, Pitkanen and Gilbert. Hemsky almost gave Nash a SH breakaway which was just damn careless. And in the last 30 seconds we might as well have had a powderpuff out there battling for the puck as Tom Gilbert, he just looked physically overmatched in that situation.

Fine game by Garon, too damn bad he lost his shutout in the last goddam second but at least the boys turned it around and got him the win, and that’s the main thing. Don’t look now, but as of this moment Oilers are within 4 points of 18th overall.

40. Dennis says:

Bruce: Gilbert is playing an insane number of min for a guy with that limited games of pro experience. He’s probably gassed and once April comes he’ll sleep until June;)

41. Bruce says:

Yup, I agree, Dennis. He’s young and he makes mistakes, but he’s learning and he’s going to be a good defenceman in the years ahead.

I do find it a tad curious how much more forgiving people are of Gilbert’s misdemeanours than ones made by, say, Greene, Grebeshkov or Smid. Although I will grant you the point about excessive ice time. And to be totally fair, I don’t think either coach had the guys he would have preferred out for the dying seconds — no Nash, no Zherdev, no Pisani, no Staios, and not coincidentally, no whistles in the last 2:45.

42. doritogrande says:

Hey LT, your other man-crush had a goal and an assist in Springfield’s 4-2 win tonight. JD also stopped 37 of 39.

43. Oilman says:

dennis wrote “Even as a 9-year-old, I knew this was wrong:)”

Jezuz…you were a know-it-all at 9!….Friggin Townies!

And as much as you can’t understand me following Gary Carter as an 11 year old moderate baseball fan who was just a big fan of Carter, I can’t understand a grown ass man choosing to cheer for the Nationals because they used to be the Expos?….FFS’s, Marlon Anderson wears #8 – they don’t even acknowledge Carter themselves! Would you like to nail Liz Taylor, because she used to be hot?

LT – being a Mets fan was tough…especially through the embarrassing few years (1987 to 2000ish)….when I was surrounded mostly by Blue Jays and Expos fans, but it was no different than being an Oiler fan back in NF when I was surrounded by Habs fans….on a side note, my favorite players have always been goalies and catchers…Carter, Fuhr, Ranford, Piazza….perhaps it was just coke and man perms that fascinated me?

44. RiversQ says:

Hemsky almost gave Nash a SH breakaway which was just damn careless.

Well, that was a shit drop pass by Gagner at the blueline frankly. Hemsky was pretty much fucked there.

Strong game from Pouliot I thought. One thing you always notice about MP, is how well he takes the puck in his skates. He’s not as smooth as Hemsky there (who might be the best in the league doing that at speed) but he rarely loses the puck in his skates and rarely loses a stride.

Anyway, I’d leave Pouliot in there for awhile because his upside is there and they don;t have a better option anyway. Everyone seems to forget that Pouliot’s results survived last year’s implosion. Despite that mess, he still posted a fabulous EV GA rate.

Oilman: I can only assume you didn’t feel the pain of Blue Monday or the Mike Schmidt vs. Stan Bahnsen moment or the Wallace Johnson tripe or the el presidente el perfecto or the Raines May 1.

If you experienced any of that and STILL cheered for the Mets at any time then I must question your original loyalty to the Expos. Can you tell me what position Bombo Rivera played?

No peeking.

46. Black Dog says:

I’d say people are more forgiving of Gilbert’s mistakes because he has less experience then Greene, Smid and Grebeskov (although he is older, yes) and, more importantly, because he’s playing heavy minutes against the other team’s best as a rookie.

I think Greene, Smid and Grebs are all making some nice strides this year but Greene was shitting the bed against the other team’s dummies last season, for example. So yeah, I’m more forgiving of Gilbert.

Anyway you cut it, Rowbear is getting the job done – Schremp is a goner this summer I would say.

So, has Theo passed Roy by already? He didn’t get knocked out of the game so there’s one thing going for him.

47. RiversQ says:

Bruce said…

Honestly, the Oilers have been outplayed twice by CBJ and took four points. I’m not complaining.

48. Oilman says:

Actually LT….I was about 5 years old for Blue Monday and I had already moved on before el pefecto (although I cheered for the guy – unbelievable game….I never hated the Expos – probably because the Mets never really challenged for anything after 1987 so I never really felt like the Expos were in the way of anything….I really really hated the Jays, to the point that I wanted the Braves to win the Series (that hurt to even type that).

As for Pouliot, I just don’t think he’s clear of a demotion based on tonight. He had some chances, did some things but if MacT sends him out tomorrow it won’t surprise me.

Last spring he survived but the flood of forwards who’ve pulled out to pass since then (Penner, Nilsson, Gagner, Brodziak, Cogliano, Stortini who have I missed)is pretty large.

To bring it into Expos perspective, we can sit around talking about him being Greg Colbrunn or John VanderWal or Matt Staris but as time goes on we have to at least look at the possibility he’s really only Archi Cianfrocco.

50. Oilman says:

Oh….and I had to look it up:o)…I was 2 when Bombo last played for the Expos…..anyone my age that says he was a fan of Bombo Rivera as an Expo would be full of shit…I’m looking at you dennis;)

Oilman: I hear you about the Jays. In both WS my friends would say “hey, you must be thrilled” and I said “I’m a National League man” and they couldn’t understand it.

The only AL teams I’ve ever cheered for were Detroit 1984 (I got WDIV TV, Al Kaline and George Kell were so bad they won me over), KC when they won (Brett) and BoSox in 1986 and the year they won it (04? I don’t follow baseball now, but like NASCAR I like to know who won Daytona so as to keep up with the conversation).

Anyway, baseball is more WWE than anything now, too bad.

52. Oilman says:

It is….and I’m sure my Bobby Bo era Mets (i feel shame)were right in the center of it

53. Bank Shot says:

I thought Peckham looked pretty good in his first game. He looked like crap two years in a row against the Golden Bears and I was ready to throw him under the bus, but he showed enough to look like a guy with a possible future. Although he was playing against Columbus and they have quite the knack for making defensemen look good.

Had the Oilers picked up some veteran scrubs instead of playing Cogliano and Gagner and as a result ended up 13th in the conference instead of 14th I’d have probably shot myself in the head by now. Gotta feel bad for the dedicated Columbus fans who put up with 82 games of sheer boredom.

Hemsky’s line was absolute shit the entire night. They must have spent 80% of the game pinned in their own end.

Pouliot was alright. I think that line was more dangerous with Brodziak in the middle though, and Pouliot did next to nothing with Hemsky when he got the odd shift.
    Still looks like Marty Reasoner part deux.

Hopefully Lowe signs Garon this summer…. or a guy like Gilbert soon just to show that he is not asleep at the switch and might actually be learning from his mistakes.

54. gary b says:

have we scored an EN goal all year? just asking, cuz i can’t remember a single one.

ah , Tim Raines. the ‘Rock’. The ‘Hawk’. The ‘Crow’. That was one formidable outfield, nickname-wise. Wallach, Carter, Gullickson – i loved all those guys.

And although 1994 was such a complete and utter kick in the nuthatches, i found myself still cheering for the Expos, and now the Nats. Things have nearly turned over completely, with the likes of Vidro and Vladdy gone, too. And as painful as 1994 was, i think i still get more steamed about the Jeff Loria years in the late ’90s. How he was gonna save the team, build a new park, blahblahblah. Which never happened, he sold the team back to MLB, but not before taking all the personnel, scouting reports, computers, chairs, and pretty much everything else that wasn’t nailed down in the Big O.

With all that the franchise has been thru since the mid-90s, it’s nice to see an improved young club in DC, good talent on the way, a new ballpark. looks like the franchise is finally on the rebound.

55. RiversQ says:

Yeah Hemsky’s all alone right now.

Just think about all the Oiler rushes at EV tonight where Hemsky’s carrying the puck and is the only Oiler in the screen. That’s a problem.

Penner is now useless in all three zones again, instead of just two. He had the fitness excuse to start the year, but what does he have now?

Stoll seems to get the puck moving in the right direction but he is just EV GF death out there. Almost like Peca in 05/06, except that Peca couldn’t shoot at all and that’s the only thing Stoll can do offensively.

56. Lord Bob says:

I’ve always liked Peckham. The guy’s not a bad goon and he can play more than is usual for the Wade Belaks/either Brookbanks of the National Hockey League.

He had nice offensive stats last year in the OHL, as you all know, but he’s not an offensive player (he was essentially ‘huge player screening the goalie’ for a lot of his last junior season). Still, his defensive reliability is enough to sell me on him as a third-pairing defenseman who maybe tops out at a number four guy. I’m a Peckham fan fo sho.

Incidentally, I’m one of those Expos-turned-Blue Jays fans, but in my defense I was an eight-year-old Australian in 1994 and I never got sufficiently emotionally invested in the ‘spos for it to hurt too much when they left. I kinda became an Expos fan out of reaction to the fact that I was surrounded by Jays fans, before meekly turning back into the pen like the sheep I am.

57. rickibear says:

RiversQ: Penners excuse is a center named Stoll.

Can’t remeber whom made the point that Penner has figured out to ignore Hemsky and play off the center. He can not do that with Stoll. Penner-gagner-hemsky he was fine.

You can see the way he thinks the game if you think about Penners pass off the boards on the first hemsky goal in the LA game. That line is Dying with Stoll on it.

58. Dennis says:

Oilman: I’m from the Burin Penninsula, so stop with all your ‘townie’ talk:) But, yes, as a nine year old I knew better than you so just move along:)

When I think of the Mets I think of Shea and Burke blowing a save there on a Sat night in that awful ’89 season. Also, the ’87 season when TSN showed a rare afternoon game, that I hitchhiked home from school to watch, that went into extra innings and was lost by Steve Frey. I think of Phil Lombardi inexplicably homering off the seemingly untouchable Langston and HoJo and Kevin McRenoylds murdering us. I wasn’t old enough to see the Johnson triple live but I did see Raines first game of ’87:)

LT: If Pouliot is Archi, then who’s Nikeo Riesgo?:) BTW, Colbrunn was on his way to being a terrible catcher that could hit and I was looking forward to it but then he got hurt and became a first sacker. He could always rake though and was still doing it up until he got hurt. BTW, before Fletch but after Colbrunn we had Tim Laker, who admitted he took steriods.

It helped him a lot.

Speaking of Stairs, all the time we spent looking for a 1B once we traded Gala for Hill and we spent time on guys like George Canale and Orestes Destrade or Marrero:) and yet we sold Stairs to Japan. Before we picked up Segui for Reid Corneilus, we fucked up Floyd’s wrist when it got broken playing 1B at which stadium? It’s Oilman’s favorite.

But, Oilman, I was with you in cheering against the Jays in the series. I laughed with glee in ’85 when Jim Sundberg’s ball hit the top of the wall in Exhibition Stadium and I cheered like crazy when the A’s and then Twins took them out in their next two ALCS. And I thought I’d win again when Berryhill homered in G1 in ’92 and I hated Reardon when Sprague went yard in G2. I hoped Raines would help the Sox take them out in ’93 and it was hard to cheer for Schilling and Dykstra after they took the NL East from us weeks earlier but that’s what I did in the fall of ’93.

As for Pouliot tonight, chances for and against, was he not better than Sanderson? I’d have to say yes and for that alone I’d give him another shot.

BTW, the Oilers are a terrible club in terms of the aforementioned chances for/against and I wish MacT would try and give us a little breather by going with a 19-16-34 line against the toughs and then giving the Hemsky and Gagner line the soft min with a sprinkling of the 4th line. Throw Pouliot up there with the one armed Hemsky and Marlon Brando and let’s see if he can mark.

Bruce: On Greene, I will give Gilbert more slack because he has less GP, he’s way better than Greene, he plays against tough comp and he can actually create offense. Oilers have way too many fucking kids on the backline and if you believe in Grebs, Smid and Gilbert, you’re smart enough to realize you have to keep Staios, you know you can’t move Souray and that only an overestimation should mean the end of Pitkanen’s Oiler career, you cut bait on Greene and next year you go:

77-25: They played together well early on and they can take on the tough

24-5: Had some nice chem going before 5 got hurt

37/44: You use 44 on ST and limit his EV play.

That’s not perfect but it’s combining kids with vets, at least in terms of GP.

59. Asiaoil says:

Every line now dies offensively with Stoll on it…..can anyone remember a guy who has been pumped so relentlessly and has so little to show for it? If not for his PP counting numbers he’s a lesser version of Marty Reasoner.

This coming summer he’s in the salary death zone – way overpaid for a bottom six guy who does so little at ES – clearly unable to do anything with the top 6 time/money he’s being paid. Hopefully we can package him and Schremp for something useful at the draft because it would be senseless to keep either guy any longer.

60. Dennis says:

I will say this about Stoll: if he wasn’t so consistently pimped over the years by Lowe and MacT and he wasn’t coming off a head injury, he’d be getting killed by the fans and the press. The guy can go a full week without getting a scoring chance. Lupul’s road splits last year were ones for the fucking books but Stoll’s ESP/60 have to mind-bendingly bad in the historical context.

And Penner is just fucking killing me. About the only thing he’s doing now is getting the puck out the occasional time on the half-wall. Otherwise, nothing good’s gonna happen when he’s on the ice.

61. PunjabiOil says:

Us fans have to stop overanalyzing single games.

Cogliano looked terrible at this year’s Bears/Oilers game – he ended up making the squad.

Really impressive that Cogliano, Nilsson, and Gagner are doing well in the 2nd half of the season. All talented young players tend to push the gas pedal harder in the 2nd half – Parise, Getzlaf, Perry, etc.

AsiaOil – I never been much of a fan of Stoll, even when he put up 68 points. He disappeared in the playoffs that year – and he had one of the highest Percentage of points on the powerplay to total points in the league with respect to forwards. I don’t hate power play performers, but the problem with Stoll is that he’s a passenger, not a distributor. His weapon is his shot, and that’s it – he’s not going to run the PP – he’ll get a odd 2nd assist every once in a while after he passes to Hemsky, but he’s not a driver on the PP.

That being said, Stoll was never as terrible in the past. This year, he’s just a nightmare on EV – perhaps it’s his concussions. I’d look into trading him, but if the market isn’t large, I have no problem signing him to a 2-3-4 year contract at reasonable dollars, and waiting until the right time to deal him. He’s been bad, but I just don’t think he’ll be as bad next year.

62. YKOil says:

I lost my fandom for Stoll the moment his post-2006 contract was signed.

His numbers were super pumped by PP time (EDIT TO ADD: with CFP!) and the contract he gets is tailor made to payroll hyper-inflation. Brought me all the way back to when I was ranting about the Brewer contract on HF (and those who were around back then should know the one I am talking about and why).

I hate that shyte.

63. Oilman says:

dennis – you must really hate the Mets;)

Speaking of Shae stadium….the all time biggest insult to a Mets fan (even more than HGH saying “I thought it was the ball” was Chipper Jones naming his son Shea inhonor of all his success there…GD hillbilly.

also dennis…I’m from the west coast…anything east of Corner Brook warrants a “townie” label:)…..although with you being from the Burin, there’s a good GD chance we’re related somewhere along the line….yikes

64. Asiaoil says:

Thing is…Stoll is not even a particularly good defensive player and never has been. He’s good on the PK and as a 2nd team PP option on the point – but he simply can’t make his own shot. He’s got two great stick skills (faceoff and slapper) but everything else about his game is Marty Reasoner or worse.

I will cringe if we sign him to anything more than a one year deal and would have no problem dealing him in a package with say Greene for a decent 2nd pair dman or a bigger RW.

Massive pumping this season has not been very effective because of his awful ES numbers – but he no role on this team going forward.

65. Bruce says:

You Newfoundlanders are ALL related … argh! what am I saying?

Gilbert 80 GP
    Greene 137 GP
    Smid 128 GP
    Grebs 90 GP

OK, a little less experience, but by the time you add up actual TOI he’s probably a little above Grebeshkov in the experience dept., and there’s not a season’s difference among the lot.

Certainly Gilbert was the best of the lot in the first half of the season, it wasn’t even close, and I understand why he made such a good impression and won a lot of fans; hell I’m one of ‘em. But as the season as worn along he has worn down, to the point where based on current form he is no longer the best of the four. Since January 15, Grebeshkov has not had a single minus game, while Gilbert has had TWELVE of them, including a -2, a -3, and a -4. Yes Gilbert’s playing more minutes per game, and he played more games in that span (21 to 17) but when even a less than perfectly-fair comparison yields results like twelve to fucking cob I start to take notice.

Like Gilbert and Pitkanen (who has had 8 minus games in that same span, 5 of them -2 or worse), Grebeshkov is an RFA this summer. As the season wears along he is starting to build a pretty good case for a very nice raise. Signing all three of these guys may prove problematic.

re: Hemsky, he was on for the goal against tonight so has sunk to -10 since the All-Star break, tied with Penner as book-end boat anchors on a “first” line that has completely submerged without Scorcoff. I’ll defer to RQ about the Nash giveaway tonight, I only saw the play once and didn’t register the bad pass from Gagner but certainly have no trouble believing it. But a classic Hemsky play occurred later in the third, he came down the left side more or less one-on-one and tucked the puck through his skates, beating his guy so badly the move wound up being replayed two or three times. And each time you could see this huge hole on the short side, about a foot wide all the way up the post with a half a net to shoot at under the crossbar. His move was good enough to beat the goalie too. Except Hemsky was on his backhand, and he never shoots backhands unless the puck is in the blue paint. So he had to pull the puck back on to his forehand like he always does, basically deking himself out in the process, and nothing came of it. Except a couple of highlight reels.

As for Penner, I’m a fan but I’ll be first in line to say he has sucked ass of late, and I don’t know what’s going to snap him out of it, but it’s getting safe to say Ales Hemsky and Jarret Stoll ain’t it. It’s time to shake them up, at least at evens.

Three words, RQ: No … kidding.

66. heed says:

i’m not throwing penner under the bus at this point. playing with stoll is guaranteed to get you zero points. it also seems that at least once a game hemsky makes the extra play at the blue line to put the big man off side. he might want to try dumping in the corner for the guy a couple of times. i also noticed penner throw a couple of hits last night which is a positive sign.

67. Black Dog says:

Nothing against Grebs or Greene or Nilsson. They have all improved and someone has to do well against the soft opp like Nilsson has.

But jumping all over Gilbert or Hemsky for that matter because they are racking up minuses reminds me of people jumping on Smith last year. Hemsky is playing with a 250 pound boat anchor, Reasoner or Stoll at centre and one arm yet he is still the best Oiler game in and game out. Should we dump him? Without him this team would be last place in the league and unwatchable. Which they nearly are already anyhow.

68. danny says:

Asiaoil said…

I’m not a big fan of Stoll, but comments like these need to be tempered. It simply isn’t true.

He is struggling no doubt, but last season before his injury Stoll had pretty much replaced Horcoff as MacT’s tough minutes guy. He was doing the heavy lifting, and he was putting up numbers.

He hasn’t rebounded since the concussions, but that doesn’t revise history in the least, just the way we remember it aparently.

69. Ribs says:

Another throwaway game vs. Columbus, yay!

I’m liking that MacT is playing the kids a lot more lately. It makes me wonder how Gagner would be doing against the likes of Kane, Backstrom, and Mueller if he had been getting the love they get. Cogs could be up there with Toews as well maybe.

Gagner, Cogs, and Nilsson really look like midgets out there when they’re all on the same line. It kind of looks like something that would happen in Mario Kart (but no one has squished them, yet.).

Poo had a pretty decent game I thought. he was skating hard and putting in a bit more muscle than we’ve seen before. It was kind of funny to see him jump in when a guy was face washing Glencross though. I don’t think he needs your help there, Poo.
    I hope he stays up and gets himself acquainted.

Peckham looked pretty solid out there. He’s only played one game but I think I’d probably take him over Greene right now. This was one of those nights where I was cursing at the screen every time Greene would do something stupid.

It happens a lot.

Penner was invisible this game but I wouldn’t be too worried about it. he tends to show up to the games that matter.

70. Dennis says:

I’m not a fan of Greene or anything but for experience sake alone I’d rather
    have him playing then Peck ham. Theo’s already a better skater and passer
    than Matt but Greene does have a few things going for him.

But, like I said, I’d get rid of him this summer given that our other young
    guys look to have more upside.

I still can’t believe that Lowe essentially chose Greene over Hejda. Right
    now Greene’s making more than Jan and playing a much lesser role and as his
    service time increases, he’ll get more and more money. Lowe could’ve inked
    Jan to a two or three year deal last summer but news today was he didn’t
    have the room and had to move things around. 50 fucking contracts indeed.

Easiest job in hockey when it comes to being questioned by the media.

Gilbert has been falling down but it’s just silly the role he’s been asked
    to play given his lack of experience.

Did we ever get a ruling on what Stoll was doing last year while he played
    with 14-34 when both 83-94 were on the shelf? I know they had a good stretch
    starting around early Dec but I want to see some qual comp numbers before
    I’m convinced that Stoll was turning the corner.

Plus, as Vic likes to say, in terms of who’s zooming who, let’s not forget
    that Pisani is an old hand at playing tough min and that the Torres-Pisani
    wing combo played top six tough min all through that spring when Lowe wasn’t
    really Lowe.

Oilman: there are no bigger ‘townies’ then the ones from Corner Brook. Seriously. And where are your people from on the BurPen?

71. Bruce says:

Yeah but Bruce, look at who Gilbert gets thrown out there against and look at how much he is playing. Guy is worn out and he is playing tougher competition – absolutely he’s going to be racking up minuses. If he was playing 12 minutes a game against monkeys then, like Nilsson, he’s be on the plus side over and over again.

BDHS: At this point I’d be tempted to give 77 a few 12- or even 18-minute games against so-called monkeys to prove that point. I’m not looking to throw the kid under the bus or anything, he’s had an impressive season for the most part, but I don’t accept that just because the guy is playing a ton he should be racking up minusues. With all that ice time he should be racking up plusses and minuses. If he’s getting clobbered consistently he should be playing less. And if a guy like Grebeshkov is keeping his head above water night after night after night, maybe he should be playing a little more.

Plus/minus isn’t the be-all and end-all, to be sure. There’s more to it than that. At the same time, the “tough minutes” theory isn’t the be-all and end-all either. Yet sometimes I feel like I’m reading “X plays tough minutes, therefore all is forgiven” no matter what the guy actually does.

Is it wrong for me to expect our best to hold their own against their best? And for our monkeys to hold their own against their monkeys? That’s certainly NOT what I’m seeing, and those +/- figures I posted near the top of this thread support that viewpoint. Yet the the “tough minutes” argument seems to hold that the other teams have a range of talent far greater than what the Oilers have, from junkyard dogs to pussies, and before I accept that I’d like to see some evidence a little stronger than some statement like “playing against monkeys”. Nilsson and Cogs scored the winning goal against the same Kris Russell, Ron Hainsey and Dan Fritsche who burned Gilbert, Hemsky & Co. for the tying goal. Did they turn into monkeys during the overtime intermission?

Sorry, but that smacks of a personal bias to me. Both Penner and Hemsky are -10 over the identified period yet one is the “best Oiler game in game out” and the other is a “250 pound boat anchor”. That’s not what my eyes are seeing, to put it mildly. (I will agree with the playing with one arm part.)

No of course not, I don’t want to throw Ales under bus either. But if he’s our best, then he needs to hold his own against their best. And he hasn’t been coming close to doing that for quite a while now. Neither he nor Penner are the same player without Horcoff, who by virtue of his absence is making the case as to who is really the tough minutes monster up front on this club.

And all that being said, the games I’m watching it’s not like Gilbert or Hemsky steps over the boards and the other teams instantly transforms their players from the Three Stooges to the Russian Green Unit. In road games MacT doesn’t even get his choice of match-ups, and the Hitchcocks of the world are certainly ready to tear up the “soft opp”. It’s not Nilsson, Cogs, or Grebs they’re tearing up these days.

72. danny says:

dennis said…
    Did we ever get a ruling on what Stoll was doing last year while he played with 14-34 when both 83-94 were on the shelf? I know they had a good stretch starting around early Dec but I want to see some qual comp numbers before I’m convinced that Stoll was turning the corner.

well, i dont have qualcomp numbers but enough evidence in the form of how MacT ran his bench. Looking at home games before his injury, its pretty clear 16 was getting the tough minutes, tougher than 10. he was outscoring 10 during this time as well. heres a spreadsheet with the info i collected

73. Bruce says:

Greene’s making more than Jan and playing a much lesser role …
    Gilbert has been falling down but it’s just silly the role he’s been asked to play given his lack of experience.

Dennis: Games I’ve watched recently, Greene and Gilbert are partnered up. One of them is playing tough minutes and one has a lesser role? Maybe the other guys have a JYD on RW and a pussy on the port side??

Sorry guys, I am going to challenge statements like that all day long, not just your take on who’s carrying the mail but also MacT’s choices of distributing the workload. As indeed Dennis has done in his “silly role” comment above. But of late it would seem that MacT has responded by dropping Gilbert onto second pairing with Greene and moving Staios up to play bigger minutes with Pitkanen because 25-77 were getting killed. Grebs meanwhile gets the babysitting role with Roy or Peckham and while his minutes are fewer, he’s still carrying a big responsibility and has done so very successfully indeed. QUALCOMP is only part of the equation, QUALTEAM is surely just as important. In my view guys like Grebs or Nilssson who are playing with relatively raw rookies don’t have a “soft” job, no matter who they’re matched up against.

Bruce: If Nilsson can score at EVs with Stoll and Penner as linemates against ANY competition at this point it would be an upset. In the last few weeks I think Stoll has just been skating around looking busy, kind of like a WAL-MART employee. And Penner’s nickname recently should be Denver boot.

75. Bruce says:

LT: I don’t think we’re going to find out anytime soon. The veterans that struggle together stay together. Frankly, I’d rather MacT put Pisani with Stoll and Penner just to stop the bleeding, maybe at least they could get a dump-and-chase going. “Dump” is a foreign word to Ales, and without their season-long middleman to adapt to both their games, the 27-83 combo is just a sinkhole. Including Stoll, a $10 MM sinkhole.

PS: For archival purposes you might wish to rename this thread “Oilers at Blue Jackets”. :)

Bruce: damn. Fixed.

As for lines, I like the kid line and the fan in me wishes they’d put Pouliot with Glencross and Pisani to see if they might be able to make a difference as a unit.

The good thing about MacT is that sooner or later you get what you want, line-wise.

77. IceDragoon says:

Good day.

My, but that was one ballsy, heady, line change that Gagner assisted on for the game winning play. Looked like he was going for the dump in as Malholtra, Fritsche and Hainsey were fresh onto the ice (Russel couldn’t change). Instead, 89 circled back while Hemsky, Gilbert and Grebeshkov changed out for Nilsson, Pitkanen and Staios. He drew Malholtra deep so he would have to chase the play, before sending a crisp pass to Nilsson and hauling his cute little ass to the bench so Cogliano could jump into the seam.

I think it was very hospitable of Fritsche to convert Staios’ pass to Nilsson.
    ;-D

Nilsson joked that Sam “wasn’t even on the ice”, but Cogliano gave him his due. good stuff

Yeah… kids are murder on the W column, but plays like that bolster my patience.

L8r
    Louise

78. Black Dog says:

Bruce – I’m not going to argue with the fact that Grebs could get a bigger role – he has earned it. At the very least he is eating the soft minutes alive. Since Horc went down the Oilers are 9 and 5, which I think is far better then anyone would have expected.

We’re talking about quality of comp etc but how about a real simple stat – Gilbert – 2 G/6A, Grebs 1G/6A – pretty damn good for both kids from the back end. More impressive for Gilbert based on the minutes he is playing but Grebs deserves all of the credit in the world for sure.

As for Hemsky and Penner – since Horcoff went down, Penner had 3 goals and four assists. Hemsky has 5 goals and 7 assists. Almost a PPG with a bad wing.

We’ll just have to agree to disagree Bruce. You definitely see more Oilers’ games then I do but I haven’t an issue with Ales. He has his flaws, of course, but he has been a positive factor in every game I have seen, as he should. Penner, on the other hand, has been brutal.

79. Dennis says:

Bruce: I’ll just change the tense then: Over the course of the season, Gilbert Has played tougher and more EV min then Gilbert and that’s why I give him more rope.

Also, the goal the Jackets scored was 6-on-5 so that changes everything.

80. Bruce says:

Sorry, Dennis … would that be Tom Gilbert more than Gilbert Gilbert? Assuming you meant Gilbert more than Greene, yes of course. There’s no comparison really given Greene missed the better part of three months, during which time Gilbert’s ice time soared. Tom hit 24:00 for the first time the night Matt went down, and he hit a bunch more times while Greene was out. I would suggest there was a direct relationship between A and B.

Throughout this thread I’ve been talking more in terms of current trends (since the All-Star break when Horc and Souray went down) and how the dynamics of the team are changing. One of those changes has been Greene’s ice time rising in recent games and Gilbert’s dropping, to the point Matt actually played a little more than Tom last night. While they are VERY different players, I suspect MacT values them more equally than you might suppose. I think we’ll get a good picture of that down the stretch.

Also, the goal the Jackets scored was 6-on-5 so that changes everything.

Yes it does, and the -1 is a tough score on what amounts to a PK situation. But the Oil had to win a battle somewhere, Gilbert didn’t win one in the corner and then Greene didn’t win one in front of the net and the fucking clock couldn’t run down quick enough. It’s another tough lesson for both of them, but being young smart college boys I have faith they’ll keep learning and improving. That’s pretty much what this whole season is about.

81. Oilman says:

dennis….agreed on the Corner Brook thing…and I have somr from Marystown and some from a little off the Burin in English Harbour.