Oilers at Flames, G80/07-08

This is Stan Weir the summer he was drafted by the California Seals. I chose it for two reasons: he looks a little like Ales Hemsky in the photo, and he represents the youth on this club in the picture. The beard years are yet to come.

The Oilers play the Flames tonight, second game of a back-to-back. A tough loss in a game maybe already counted in the win column can have a huge impact on a young team.

Stan Weir believes.

Stan Weir can slam a revolving door.

Stan Weir makes onions cry.

Stan Weir does not go hunting because hunting implies failure.

When Stan Weir falls in water, he doesn’t get wet. Water gets Stan Weir’d.

Stan Weir can divide by zero.

In a fight between Batman and Darth Vader, the winner would be Stan Weir.

Stan Weir uses a night-light. Not because he’s afraid of the dark, but because darkness fears Stan Weir.

Stan Weir once held his breath for 9 years.

Stan Weir sleeps with a pillow under his gun.

Stan Weir once crossed the road, but no one had the nerve to ask why.

Stan Weir has three knees on each leg.

The 11th Commandment is “thou shalt not piss off Stan Weir.”

Stan Weir once challenged Lance Armstrong to a “Who has more testicles?” contest. Stan Weir won by 5.

Stan Weir once took part in the running of the bulls. Stan chased them to Russia and then got bored.

Stan Weir will bring us endless summer, riches beyond our imagination and that really cute woman down the block. Ladies and gentlemen, Stan Weir!

92 Responses to "Oilers at Flames, G80/07-08"

1. Dennis says:

The pillow and the gun thing did it for me:)

Weir Really does look like a younger and fatter Hemsky in that picture.

I really took a hard look at the sked after the Oilers beat the Avs last Sat and there were two remaining games that worried me: in Minny and in Cgy.

Winning in Minny is always a tough task and with first place in the NW in their sights, I thought the Wild would really take it to us. Well, they did when it came to the scoreboard but the Oilers more than held their own in the scoring chances for/against.

Now we’ve got the game in Cgy and the second half of the BTB and the Flames waiting with much rest on their side.

I’m not saying the Oilers are gonna win out but they’ve got the Flames on Tues night at Rexall and I honestly don’t fear anyone anymore when it comes to our own ice. And when it comes to playing in Van, any night at all the Canucks could show up and stink out the joint.

So, back to tonight and if we finish the first period no worse than tied, I like our odds. Youth’s on our side with the BTB’s because we’ve got a lot of kids with a lot of young legs and if they can shake off last night’s disappointment and keep their head above water for the first 20, I think they’ll be fine.

2. Mike says:

If it looks like chicken, smells like chicken, and tastes like chicken but Stan Weir says it’s steak…it’s fucking steak.

3. Showerhead says:

Late in last night’s game, the Oilers were making as many batshit crazy decisions per minute as I can remember in a long time. Whether you blame it on fatigue, pressure, inexperience, it has to be a concern heading into tonight’s game against Calgary.

Examples?

Pitkanen has 2-3 seconds to step forward and swat a puck out of the neutral zone into the Avs zone but instead lags back, waits for the Avs to take possession, and gives up a two-on-one.

Gilbert curls in his zone during OT and sends a soft puck towards Hemsky who is curling along the boards. Hemsky doesn’t look over his shoulder and is caught at the blueline by the time he realizes the Avs have all sorts of pressure back in his zone.

Two Oilers take a feed in the slot during OT. Their sticks are basically overlapping, leaving no physical space between but neither player is assertive enough to make a play. The puck goes back to Edmonton’s zone.

I could go on but towards the end of the 3rd and in OT, Edmonton was making all sorts of bad choices in terms of passes, pinches, etc. I’m not a sky-is-falling guy when I watch a hockey game but if Edmonton comes out as tired or as stupid tonight as they did during the latter stages of the Colorado game, that’s all she wrote.

And yes, it feels crazy of me to wax pessimistic after reading an altogether positive post from Dennis ;)

4. Ender says:

Is it just me, or did Pisani have a playoff beard on last night?

5. Dennis says:

SH: Me and Riv were texting back and forth during the game and both of us couldn’t believe that Pitkanen play. I mentioned it in the game thread but I didn’t like 25′s game last night at all. There just seemed to be something off about him and the play that infuriated us, that’s a puck he usually latches onto and makes a play.

And I guess the reason why I’m not cowering in fear about tonight’s game is that these young fuckers can score and that lends an air of positivity to the way I view the club.

I understand that we could be down 2-0 before Hughson gets a chance to talk about Luongo’s kid; but when you’ve got the skill that this team has, you’re never out of game.

Unfortunately – as you pointed out – when that skill is so young and untested, holding a lead is never a given either.

6. Bruce says:

Good eye, Showerhead, I noticed all those plays last night and about another dozen besides it seemed. That horribly indecisve play by Pitkanen drew a snarky comment from me on the game thread, and that was nothing compared to what I was saying to my TV at the time. That last minute felt like about a period, and the last ten minutes seemed to take an hour and a half. Once they tied it I had zero confidence going forward, and judging by 6-1 shots in OT, neither did the Oilers. I still think we got shafted by the zebras but there was indecision and panic visible in Oilers’ game, for sure. Needed a good veteran goalie to bail us out …

Funny thing about the schedule, we’re done on Thursday next week, even though the season doesn’t end until Sunday. Great time for a fucking rest. Thanks, NHL.

7. dawgbone says:

Stan Weir was originally the 4th wiseman, and gave baby jesus the gift of the beard.

It was such a great gift that the other 3 wisemen grew jealous and conspired to write him out of the bible.

All three wisemen suffered career ending injuries in various on-ice collisions with Weir.

8. Oilman says:

On the play where Joni tried to get Brodziak’s stick just before the 2nd goal, Joni reminded me of “Hooks” from police academy…looked like he was saying…Kyle, can i have your stick please kyle, I don’t have mine and forsberg has the puck…where he should have been doing the “GIVE ME THE GOD DAM STICK DIRTBAG”

9. danny says:

I’m pretty confident about tonight. Well, more like, I’m not convinced we will lose… and thats a pretty big step forward for the psyche of a fan of the 08 Oilers facing the Flames at the saddledome in a must-win game.

Its unfortunate we don’t have garon tonight. We are definitely vulnerable to a poor effort by 35, despite how much the rest of the guys give.

Lets just hope Weir can prod up the old-timer and get us 3 straight wins. If they do that, we finish ahead of Vancouver because they are not going 3-0 in their remaining games. Nashville will have to lose to Detroit and one of the games to STL/STL/CHI

Maybe Weir has the only two teams we beat in a tiebreaker right where he wants them.

10. Tyler says:

On the tiebreaker…am I missing something there? As I understand it, the first tiebreaker is wins, which the Oilers will have over anybody.

Pat – I assume you’ll read this – did you guys win today? I heard one of your guys had a Probert/Klima night…

11. K says:

On the third day, God said, “Let there be light.” Stan Weir said, “Say please.”

12. HBomb says:

Satellite Hot Stove: Al Strachan is still a fucking moron.

It’s nice to know some things in life don’t change.

I’m watching this and sit amazed. First of all say what you want about David Suzuki but good grief anything that brings awareness to wasteful use of power, etc is a good thing so stop being an ass Al.

Secondly, the Leafs will apparently buy out Tucker, Blake and Raycroft?

That’s an organization that should be shot and pissed upon. Seriously.

14. docweb says:

LT- however being filthy rich does open up a number of otherwise unthinkable options. And not just in the buyout area but scouting,etc that is not included in the cap(are you listening Mr Katz). That being said having a larger budget to work with certainly didn’t make K.Lowe any smarter.

15. Baroque says:

There was a bit with Richard Peddie (sp?) before the game. He insisted that the new general manager would have complete autonomy and the authority to make trades, buyouts, firings, etc. as he saw fit.

Although if it will take some time to get a GM (since whoever they want to interview might not be available for a few weeks, even if they can get the okay from ownership to talk if he is still under contract) he said that he is confident in Fletcher’s ability to handle the draft.

16. uni says:

Great, one of the refs is McGoo. This could be a freaking gongshow.

17. honkey says:

Staios is my hero on PK, no fear when blocking those shot by Panöff and Iginla.

18. dave says:

See Hemsky’s fake back pass to Stoll? yowza.

19. Black Dog says:

Ty – well, live by the rent a goalie and … apparently we blew the budget last time. Pete had the flu so we had a renter again and I swear I could have done a better job.

They were up 1-0 after 1 shot and I sent Mark off on a breakaway on the PK – he had a beauty and that was the high water mark.

Everything they put on the net went in.

So we had the OT and we had to win because a shootout was sure death. We carried the play and they hadn’t a shot until six seconds left. Buddy throws it at the net from the corner and dink – in it goes.

If he had his stick on the ice and had been facing the play he would have made the save.

Seriously Ty – his name is Pete – tall, shaved head, weirdo. Goes by Crazy Pete. If he ever walks into your room, tell him to turn around and head right back out. You’re better off with six skaters.

A shame.

As for me, I played pretty well – I tend to play a little better if I’m a little tired/hungover.

Led the team in scoring this playoff run too – which of course brings back that Groucho Marx line – to paraphrase – any team that I’m leading in scoring is not a team I want to be part of :)

Pretty good first for the Oilers. Staios is some tough.

Would have been nice if Fernando had cashed one or two.

Over all good period. Grebeshkov had a real nice period I thought. Greene got nice and physical with Iginla. No complaints.

That was a fun 1st period to watch. Flames have 6 forwards who appear to be dedicated to nil and they we PKing the entire second half of the period but they got out alive.

Roloson’s best period in awhile? Probably.

21. uni says:

Uh huh, and we all know it’s that same dickhead Peddie that go JFJ in, then prevented him from being replaced, and then threw him under the bus. The same Peddie that knows shit all about hockey, but ostensibly makes the TPP money (which is stupid since it’s the freaking Maple Leafs, a chimp in a tutu can make money on that franchise) so they back all his ass backwards whims and continues to doom Toronto to a destiny of mediocrity.

Yeah, if only they could get someone that could fire Peddie.

22. uni says:

Phaneuf trying to kill Pouliot for old times sake. Well what do you know, Dion is just a sentimental softie afterall.

23. PDO says:

Would it fucking kill Hughson to forget about the Canucks needs in this game for 2 god damn minutes?

24. PunjabiOil says:

Pitkanen hurt his groin this game.

25. Lord Bob says:

#12-#13-#89 take a draw in the Calgary zone but Nilsson quickly gets hurt. Who does MacTavish send out in Nilsson’s place?

Pouliot.

I think this kid’s getting a contract. MacTavish finally seems to have some faith in him.

26. PunjabiOil says:

There you have it: Roloson is a sieve.

27. Tyler says:

Man, bit of a breakdown there in the Calgary end. Nice finish for Grebs.

Lots of Oilers fans in Calgary tonight.

28. uni says:

Pouliot out with the 1st line and Grebs with a dangerous pinch and goal!

29. Tyler says:

Agreed on Pouliot. He’s had some great shifts in the past few games. He’s never going to be the type of player who came out of that draft in other slots but he’s a keeper.

30. Baroque says:

That was like the parting of the Red Sea in front of Grebeshkov. Strange.

31. Tyler says:

The Flames wingers sure come deep and leave the points alone, eh? On that Grebs goal, nobody challenging him and then on this sequence leading to the Vandermeer penalty, Vandermeer is playing really low, down in the corner when he took the penalty.

32. Tyler says:

Fuck…how does Kipper let that goal in?

33. Black Dog says:

The Grebeshkov goal was very strange – they basically surrounded Hemsky, he chipped it back and then they just moved aside.

Nice goal for Penner.

34. Black Dog says:

Wasn’t expecting the shot I think Ty.

35. Bruce says:

Missing the game, following the score online every so often. According to NHL.com Calgary had 8 guys on the ice for their goal. Glad we got it back right away.

… and now another!!

36. uni says:

Yeah, I don’t think anyone was expecting that shot. Nice read by Penner to get it off quick and catch Kipper off guard; didn’t think for a second the puck would go in.

37. Baroque says:

It was almost as though Kipprusoff didn’t realize that Penner had the puck, that it wasn’t being carried by someone else closer to the boards.

38. Black Dog says:

Bruce – your boys are doing the job again, drew the penalty that led to the Penner goal and overall just having a terrific game

And Stortini laid out Conroy – bigtime.

39. Keegan says:

Is the ice in calgary really THAT bad? There are players falling over all over the place – especially roli on that goal.

40. Baroque says:

Wow.

Nice save.

41. honkey says:

Wow Reasoner cross-checked when 2 on 1 and no call.
    It’s gonna be a long 2 min like yesterday against Avs.

42. Baroque says:

Bodies have been falling even at the beginnings of periods when the ice shouldn’t have been bad.

Maybe they are just all really tired.

43. Keegan says:

WHEW!
    That was a bit scary there at the end. Great game by the boys.

44. Lord Bob says:

Obviously, our playoff hopes are really low right now, but the fact that we have any hopes at all is a testament to team ballsiness.

Considering we’re on the outside looking in, it’s really a great time to be an Oilers fan.

45. Black Dog says:

Beauty team.

The non goal – Gilbert and Reasoner with huge plays. Pisani and those two kept playing. Good thing.

46. Black Dog says:

l.b. – if you had told me in September that they would be this close I would have taken it. Of course I would not have believed you either.

47. PunjabiOil says:

Was probably missed, but Marty Reasoner saved the game for the Oilers, with his block after that Flames no-goal scramble.

I would definitely try to re-sign him this summer

48. uni says:

Nope, Hughson was very big on Reasoner’s play all night and he made a special point of Reasoner’s read and save on the no goal.

Man, watching Magoo flailing like that was so weird, brought up bad memories but I was elated haha.

49. Bank Shot says:

I like how Matt Greene crushed Iginla’s soul.

50. Black Dog says:

The D all had pretty nice games but Greene definitely deserves that mention bank shot

He really had a solid game.

51. pboy says:

I’d like to know what Stoll’s faceoff percentage has been on his side of the blueline in the last couple of games? The motherfucker is getting killed in the dot, by my eye and MacT keeps throwing him out there. Even if it’s not on Marty Sakic’s strong side, I’d prefer him out there.

I can’t believe the Oiler’s will be playing a meaningful game with only 2 to play.

52. Lord Bob says:

Any of you have any idea whether Garon will be ready against Vancouver? Gotta hope that he’ll be back in action soon; the Tattered Remains of Dwayne Roloson had a solid game tonight aside from one lapse, but as we saw in Colorado we can’t rely on him.

53. honkey says:

Solid game all around, Roloson palyed really well and didn’t give up a lot of rebounds. The D terrific and handled the shorthanded situation great after Joni left the game.

If they just can win the last two games now and if we don’t make it. Lets hope they at least end Vancouvers playoff birth.

54. Bank Shot says:

“I’d like to know what Stoll’s faceoff percentage has been on his side of the blueline in the last couple of games? The motherfucker is getting killed in the dot, by my eye and MacT keeps throwing him out there.”

I think I recall seeing a breakdown of top faceoff winning percentage by zone in a Hockey News Magazine this season. Horcoff, Stoll, and Reasoner were all in the top 20-30 in O-zone draws, but I don’t think any of them were league leaders in defensive draws.

Wonder why that is.

55. uni says:

Playoff ‘birth’ is just an great play on the word =).

Yes, even if they don’t make it, aborting the Canuck’s playoff birth would make for some interesting reactions in Van City.

Years from now, when my heart fails, people will stand around me and say “I wonder what killed him.”

If any of you are around and wandering by at that exact moment could you please say “the Edmonton Oilers”?

Thanks.

57. PunjabiOil says:

Great After Hours segment with Penner.

58. docweb says:

That is what sports entertainment is all about!! Does every win have to be so difficult though?

59. Dennis says:

Listening to the postgame podcast and while commenting on how he wound up on the ice in the waining seconds, Nilsson said that making a play like that under those circumstances is just as much fun as scoring a goal.

In other news, MacT just died happy.

60. Showerhead says:

So I had to persuade campus security to phone someone to find me the score… but shit, it was worth it! I went out at 0-0 second intermission and was able to have a great time from 11:45 onward. Hells yes!

61. Asiaoil says:

Game 80 and we are tied for a playoff spot. Clearly making it would take divine intervention to beat Nashville’s with their schedule – but you have to be proud of how this team has battled with so many key vets hurt.

My pre-season musings on reasons to be optimistic and enjoy the season have been born out – and to all the johnny dark clouds who said I was naive – bite me :)

62. danny says:

Tyler said…

You misunderstood my post.

63. Ribs says:

Wow, what a game.

I absolutely love the fact that we had the Flames running around in their own zone with the Crosstiniaks on the ice. It’s been a long, long, time since I’ve seen anything remotely like that. props to Penner and Pisani for some good work in deep as well.

It’s also been a long time since I’ve seen so many passes by Oilers players that actually hit their intended targets.

It’s just too bad they couldn’t have started to play this well earlier into the season.

Pitkanen…Fuck off. A groin injury? Really? Maybe the biggest game of the year and he pulls a Michael Johnson? Stuff like this really worries me about what would happen come a playoff series versus any team that forechecks hard.
    You see Staios blocking shots that could break him in half and even Row-Bear is on the bench with a swollen forearm and Pitkanen leaving the game with a groin injury is really an insult to the rest of the team. I’ll take it all back if he’s hiding a real injury but geez.

Should be an interesting game Tuesday. I wonder how the Flames will respond. The days where they can bully the Oilers into oblivion appear to be over.

64. Dennis says:

Quick, would someone please acknowledge the fact that AO predicted the Oilers would win 15 shootouts!!!;)

I watched the first two periods at the house of my Habs buddy and remarked how watching the Oil on offense was the same thing as watching Cuntreal: Oilers were always quicker to the puck than anyone else and always tried to make the extra pass for the fancy goal.

I was very pleased with the way the Oilers competed given it was the back-end of the BTB and this was a game when the youth — and their lesser-worn legs — really did serve us. Also, I’ve been giving him the gears but Roli did an excellent job with rebound control. He’s really been one of the — if not THE — weakest link since he’s come into the starting role and the Oilers have still been white-knuckling games despite averaging nearly four goals a game. It’s nice that he finally came up a game or GA allowed or less because we might need that once or twice more in our effort to win out.

And, yes, it was great to see 12 shrug off that slash and come back to finish the game. As for 25, that’s the deal with him. I said it numerous times on Friday night but the guy just didn’t look himself; he wasn’t nearly as aggressive and assertive as usual. And now we know why. He’s a guy that’s always gonna be dinged up and much like Smyth used to be, he’s really only himself for about ~60 games or so. And that’s still good enough for me as long as we’re not paying him too much.

LT: I mentioned this before but have you considered “loaning” out Stan Weir for some of the out-of-town games we’ll be monitoring in the next couple of days?:)

I never thought it would get to this point but the Oilers actually have a chance to clinch a playoff spot with a win on Thurs night. Det should take care of Nsh today and there’s no reason why Cgy can’t beat Van. Then you have their respective Tues night games and as far as holding our own end of the bargain goes, does anyone want to bet that a club that’s won 13 of their last 17 can’t win two more games?

65. Tyler says:

Difference being that you didn’t have the nagging feeling that Smyth wasn’t really that injured. With him, there were always the visuals to support the missed games: “Oh look, I’ve never seen an ankle bend like that before” or “Geez, the blood and teeth on the ice look quite realistic on my high def TV”.

66. uni says:

Pitkanen…Fuck off. A groin injury? Really?

I find that extremely harsh. Groin injuries are very serious. I only ‘tweaked’ my groin a little a few summers back and I was out of commission for nearly 2 months. They are not something you can play through, i.e. if you try to you’ll just end up making your groin explode and be out the entire year.

67. Tyler says:

Dennis – I’ve taken care of it.

68. Tim says:

Here’s the scenario as I see it…

Assuming Det beats Nas and Cal beats Van today, as long as we win out our last 2, Van can’t catch us due to the #wins tiebreaker. then we haveto rely on either St Lou or Chi to beat Nas once, and we’re in. Personally, I like the chance of Chi with Toews, Kane and Co. giving them a wake up call on the 4th…

However, if St lou beats Nas once in their back to back, we can clinch a spot by winning out (all this assuming no OT losses for Nas or Van).

69. Tim says:

Here’s the scenario as I see it…

70. Dennis says:

Tim: Thanks for that; I didn’t realize that we could control our destiny vs Van as soon as after their game tonight.

Stl is a terrible team, though, so I don’t really hold out much hope for help from them, though as I said it’s easier to win gimme games at home than it is on the road. Hawks are young and skilled enough that we might get some help there. Plus, Hawks are four games over .500 at home and the Preds are just a .500 road team so we might get some help there. And, in that regard, the Blues are four games over .500 too so with three of their last four on the road, maybe the Preds aren’t the lock that some of us think they are.

The thing I feel most confident about, though, is that the Oilers can win their remaining games. The crowd should be flat-out nuts on Tues night and the kids should be flying. If we get the first goal, we could get four or five. Then on Thurs night I’d like to think that they’ll seize the opportunity to perhaps finish things off.

Ty: as the man said, we’re talking groin issues here and it’s something that’s previously flared up this season so maybe it’s just a thing where he needs to alter his workout program. Then again, Chad Moreau hasn’t exactly been a great help in that regard to longer-standing Oilers, either;)

Anyway, I’m still a Pitkanen guy and now I feel confident in saying that you can pretty much tell when he’s beat up. Bruce crunched the numbers to show what a difference maker JP has been and I believe that when he’s healthy, he’s worth paying. Now we have to get down to whether we can make him healthier and how much do we pay him if we’re unsure that we can.

71. toqueboy says:

was at the game lastnight…and given the recent posts about, “what do we do with our glut of players…”

I’ve been on him as much as anyone, but even if he doesn’t score, he’s an incredibly valuable player. as much as people like pouliot (who did play okay…suprising puck sense and a decent third stride)… he’s not going to be that intense third line shut down guy. he’s just not that intense and physical of a player…stoll has a tool box no one else on this team has and even though he’s struggled this year (didn’t horcoff stuggle even more last year) we must resign him unless we have another idea in mind.

watching the kid line live really made me realize that cogs is not a third line center. he had ZERO capacity to stop the cycle in his own end or win draws of any importance. he’s a skill center and we can’t confuse him for anything else, especially a defensive player…pouliot and cogs both showed me tonight that they are not prepared for that role and if we assume they are next year, we’re f*cked.

on that note, roloson looked really square to the puck and took a lot of shots in the crest a la belfour, so that was good news.

and it’s amazing to see how much our team just flicks the puck out knowing that cogliano will win the race for the puck…

lots of good oiler fans at the game and very little animosity.

i really don’t get how calgary fans hate vancouver more than edmonton now. brutal.

toque out.

72. toqueboy says:

one other note…what can we get for matt greene, realistically? he was very plain lastnight and when he was on the ice, we were in our end.

with souray back, we’ll get tougher and i believe that peckham as a call up would bring the same ‘physical’ presence we get from green’r…correct? i was just thoroughly unimpressed with greene lastnight…perhaps he was tired…but when he follows a forward from the corner out to the blueline with his stick in the wrong hand…fuck…it’s just scary.

//i think it’s obvious now that we’ll be keeping stoll. he was put on the ice in every position you need a leader and a captain out there. we currently have NO ONE who can play the minutes that stoll does in critical shut down and PK situations.//

Er…Shawn Horcoff?

Sign Reasoner and Pouliot. This summer is the time to trade Stoll.

74. Dennis says:

TB: I’m not sure what this says but MacT clearly had 5 pegged as the last dman in the rotation last night. Does that mean Smid’s the guy on the way out to make room for Souray? Who knows at this point.

On your other point, I’ll admit I’ve watched 78 more closely than 13 in regards to their defensive positioning but if partnered with 14-34, I can’t see any reason why he couldn’t do a decent job as a checking centre. And just how defensively aware do you expect young 13 to look when he’s playing with 12-89?:)

Finally, in looking for evidence why 16 Will be back next year, I wouldn’t put much stock in his play or role last night because come ’09 those min will be filled by 10.

75. Ender says:

I dunno, isn’t Stoll an RFA this summer? Why not hold onto him and rave about him and see what Burke offers for him instead?

76. danny says:

This is something Ive been saying since Horcs season in the SEL, that as valuable as his shutdown capabilities are, I think he really thrives offensively when he is platooning the tough minutes with another shutdown pivot. Horc had a great year with Peca/Dvorak doing a share of the heavy lifting, and despite Stolls terrible season, his Qualcomp did help #10 be a more effective offensive player.

Its both cheaper and easier to get shutdown players, and if that boosts the rate that #10 outscores his competition then thats a big boost for this team obviously. I was pushing this on HF during a Marleau ‘pwnz’ Horcoff thread, well… im gonna pull an AO here and point out that Stoll has been that platoon guy this season, and Marleau probably wont pass Horcs points, despite playing almost 30 more games.

77. Black Dog says:

tb – Horc did not have a great year last year but he had more then 10 points at ES; he had some bad luck and he was squeezing his stick a lot early on but he still had 50 plus points and was their #1 pivot, all this while being dinged up a lot

Stoll is getting those minutes now because the only other option is Marty. He’s had a lot of opportunity this year including 25 games of Penner and Hemsky as his linemates.

Its too bad but something is just wrong with the guy. They may bring him back but I’m thinking its becoming more and more likely that he is a goner.

Assuming that they can extend Horc this summer.

78. Bruce says:

Was working last night so missed the game except occasional computer updates, caught the last half of the Hockey Late Night rebroadcast so got something of a feel for the game. A very impressive win to say the least, playing back-to-back after a very tough loss in the Mile High City, playing Calgary tough and then coming back from a stinker of an opening goal. Great we were able to bounce back with two quick ones against a goalie that has so often shut us down or out, esp. in that building.

Thanks for the report … although truth be told, they’re all “my boys”. I’m pretty proud of this whole team and the way they’ve responded to key injuries, including the team captain, #1 goalie, #1 (paid) defenceman, and #1 forward. And last night, losing the “real” #1 defenceman, screwing up the rotation for the last two periods, yet a tired defence corps of Staios plus kids were able to pull out a 2-1 win in a tough building. That’s clutch.

And Stortini laid out Conroy – bigtime.

They ran that replay on The Score. Beauty!

The Crosstiniaks wound up the night at -1, but given the fluke nature of the goal and their other contributions — esp. Brodz drawing the game-winning powerplay, which has become a specialty for those guys — it sounds like they still played a nice role in the win.

Necessity is a mother, but one things the injuries did was force MacT to give the fringe players a bigger role on the team, with good results. While most of the injury replacements came from organizational depth, we weren’t well-positioned to replace both Moreau and Torres as grinding LW, and Lowe’s one off-roster move of acquiring GlenX was key. Given we got the guy halfway through his rookie season he’s a lot more than a bandaid, he’s actually got a future and fits with the program (if we can sign him).

I like how Matt Greene crushed Iginla’s soul.

i was just thoroughly unimpressed with greene lastnight.

Bank Shot, Toqueboy, you guys talking about the same player? What did Matt do to Iginla?

I’m more of a Greene fan than most it seems, I sure like that GA/60 rate of 2.30, best of all Oiler defencemen. And I like his battling spirit, same sort of thing that the Crosstiniaks bring that have made the Oilers a tougher team to play against than they might appear to be on paper. From the event summary it looks like Matt was heavily involved last night, 21:06 TOI, 2 shots, 2 hits, 3 blocks, and a huge role on that big double penalty kill late in the first. Only negatives were 2 giveaways, we could live without those, but all in all it appears like a solid night’s work for Mr. Greene, eh Toqueboy? It’s pretty clear that MacT currently ranks Greene ahead of Smid on the depth chart.

And a special tip of the hat today to Tom Gilbert, who in Pitkanen’s absence put in 29 shifts last night, played 24:49, and recorded 3 hits (!), 2 blocks, 2 takeaways, a shot on goal and +1, without a single negative stat on the sheet.

79. Dennis says:

Bruce: I know you’re not comparing Greene to Gilbert and please don’t ever do so, less my wrath find you:)

I actually liked Greene’s game last night and you’re right, MacT was leaning on him moreso than Smid.

The thing with Gilbert is that he was back to making that little Lidstrom pass and the first year the Oilers put him on the first PP unit is the first year he comes close to 50 points.

One little thing you didn’t see from 46 though: he made a stupid icing play in the third period. We know he doesn’t carry the puck all that much through the N zone but he was going up the right side and was within a half-stride of centre but inexplicably threw away the puck. Zach’s a pretty solid fellow in that regard and it shocked me. Hard to nail the GA on the 51 line, though. Smid had totally lost his shit on that play and was over on his wrong side and had to scramble to get back to dive at Lombardi.

80. Jfry says:

godot wrote : Sign Reasoner and Pouliot. This summer is the time to trade Stoll.

i guess from what i’ve seen, pouliot is not capable of playing 15-20 minutes of shut down hockey…and half of the oiler’s fan are saying let marty go. either way…i don’t think marty/MP equals what we currently get from stoll. marty is a great third shut down option behind a healthy horc and then stoll.

if we get rid of stoll, we’re going to have to play Horc 30 minutes a night in all situations. i’d much rather that horc can focus on being productive in realistic minutes and expectations. this is achievable, as has been suggested, when he has someone to help him with the tough lifting…and i htink that person is stoll…when stoll doesn’t have to play on the first line, he won’t be expected to put up numbers and take larger offensive risks that are obviously contrary to his natural abilities.

the kid’s are offensively gifted but scary to watch when they get chasing the cycle.

if we want to have some success, a third line that shuts people down and gives horc a break is paramount…stoll is the only one in our organization that has that skill set right now…i have no objections to a stoll/moreau/pisani shut down line (insert torres if you want)…and then rolling out energy line…give brodziak the shutdown centre position after one more year.

and about green’r…i think his ice time increase lastnight was more an indication of JP playing 8 minutes rather than green’r looking great. at any rate, i still “saw green’r bad” and chasing the play, especially in the third … given the incredible stories we’ve heard about our kids coming up on D i just can’t see how we don’t have someone in the system with a larger upside. i think green’r is as good as he’s gonna get. which is okay, but i just can’t see him becoming that gator type player we’d hoped for a few years back.

The goal was on Roloson. He fell for Christ sakes.

82. Jfry says:

i certainly think given smid’s new found fondness for more physical play that he’s a guy other teams would definitely be interested in given his at bats and age.

83. Bruce says:

Nope I am certainly not, Dennis, they’re as different as chalk and cheese. Maybe silk and sandpaper is a better “comp”. I think you need some of both styles on a successful team.

Well of course the injury put him into the top four rotation, Jfry. But he stepped up and did the job. In fact the big kill that I mentioned came when Joni was still in the game, and Matt was first choice. He got an 8-second rest, and when Brodz took the second penalty he and Staios were rolled right back out there, and did the job. They did it all night, if the score and the stats are to be believed.

I saw the Lombardi goal and my preliminary error assignment was Roli unassisted. Mostly just bad luck, to some extent the skaters were innocent bystanders. Similar thing happened to Garon against Nolan last time we were in Calgary as I recall. Shit like that introduces lots of noise into the +/- data, one can only hope it evens out in time. I seem to recall 20-46-51 getting a couple good bounces at the other end too in recent weeks, and they were carrying an outscore rate which was obviously unsustainable. (And I said so myself more than once, even as I’ve been saying nice things about their play.) I find it encouraging that on a night the bounce (or the rut) went against them, that folks are still talking them up as making a positive contribution.

84. honkey says:

Bah 0-0 tie between Preds and Wings. Wings didn’t even try to score in the 3rd period.
    Even if they lose in OT/SO it’s feel like a big blow for Oilers.

//i don’t think marty/MP equals what we currently get from stoll.//
    //if we get rid of stoll, we’re going to have to play //Horc 30 minutes a night in all situations.//
    if we want to have some success, a third line that shuts people down and gives horc a break is paramount…stoll is the only one in our organization that has that skill set right now//

Stoll’s functions won’t be replaced by any one particular centre, but the the collectivity of who remains….Horcoff, Cogliano, Brodziak, Pouliot, and Reasoner (and Gagner)

With Brodziak/Glencross/Stortini and Torres/Moreau/Reasoner/Pouliot/Pisani one has a 3 and 3A line. Without Stoll, those are the Oiler bottom six. One can get two pretty good checking lines out of that.

On the power play, Stoll can be replaced by Souray, Gilbert, and Grebeshkov.

Horcoff and Moreau penalty kill, along with Reasoner, Brodziak, and Pisani.

And Cogliano and Glencross can become apprentice penalty killers.

Brodziak is really the guy who makes Stoll somewhat expendible. And Reasoner and Pouliot are more Brodziak replacements rather than Stoll replacements.

86. Bruce says:

1-0 Red Wings in overtime. That’s a killer point though, shit.

Turning point for Nashville may have been last Saturday.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -Pekka Rinne didn’t make a save or even get into uniform, but the mere presence of the minor league goalie gave the Nashville Predators plenty of motivation.

Dan Ellis made 37 saves and then was perfect in the shootout, leading the Predators to a 2-1 victory over the Chicago Blackhawks on Saturday.

Rinne, who has been playing for Milwaukee of the American Hockey League, was scheduled to start against the Blackhawks but he had trouble making airplane connections and arrived about an hour before the game. His equipment was still in transit.

So Ellis had to play and was the hero in the shootout win, then recorded back-to-back shutouts against CBJ and a third in regulation-time today before finally giving one up in OT. More than 35 shots in all four games, too. That’s 233 scoreless minutes, and 2 goals against on 152 shots over those four games. Hard to imagine Pekka Rinne would have done much better than that. :(

This unbalanced sked really sucks. Nashville gets Chicago or St. Louis or Columbus or unmotivated Detroit, and we get a strong opponent every night who has to win almost as much as we do. It seems likely the Preds will get 12 more games against non-playoff teams than we get. If they beat us out by one or two points, does that prove they’re the better team?

87. Dennis says:

Bruce: I am sick and tired of thinking about how the unbalanced sked has affected us.

And watching Ellis steal another point for them today, two things came to mind:

1: Is he hot enough to ride it out for three more games?

2: Ellis isn’t that good to the point where we can’t expect him to fall apart once his games starts to fall down a little. Not sure if the Blues x 2 plus the Hawks can light him up but I’d expect him to allow three goals a night anytime now.

Finally, as I said today, Blues and Hawks are better home squads than the Preds are as a road squad so let’s see how it plays.

88. Bruce says:

Well let’s hope that divisional rivalries live up to their names even in shitty divisions, and the Blues and Hawks have enough of a hate-on for the Preds to want to play spoiler. Unless they’re jeopardizing their own draft position, is the other question.

Did Detroit even play an honest game today? Not to often they get shutout at home for 60 minutes.

89. Ribs says:

Unless your groin is completely torn you should be able to finish a game.
    I’ve had torn, strained, pulled, and “tweaked” groin injuries throughout the years and I can say that playing through the pain is a definite option. I’ve got plenty of scar tissue and I’m not as flexible down there as maybe I once was, but I think you’d be hard pressed to find many hockey players that are.

Maybe we can get Joni a personal trainer on the bench who can rub him down after every shift ala Jaromir Jagr?

I’m just hoping he’s back come Tuesday I guess.

90. uni says:

Dan Ellis continues his freakish play shutting out Detroit in regulation for them to get the bonus point.

Now they need to lose two games out of the next 3 against St. Lois & Chicago. Here’s hoping Legace plays out of his mind and Boyes goes apeshit to finish the season with back to back hat-tricks.

That and the Oilers winning out that is. Either way the last week is going to be wild.

91. honkey says:

If we can beat the Flames and somehow Vancouver lose in regulation against Avs there is a small chance both Flames and Vancouver both miss. Flames just have to lose the remaining two game and they have a tough schedule. Problem is how motivated is Wild when they only need one point to clinch the division title.

92. uni says:

While misery loves company, I find it much more palatable to hope that Nashville falters to the Blues in back to back shockers, as well as VanCity losing out their string or to the Oil in a clinching final gave of the season.

As much as it would amuse me to see the reaction if all 3 don’t make it, I’d much rather see a 1st round exit by the Oil.