After a 1 game audition in the show, Theo Peckham is back in the minor leagues. Coach MacT had some nice things to say about him and the general opinion seems to be the young man did well in his first NHL game. Peckham remains a solid pro prospect and one of a huge number of prospects in the system who might make it in the next few seasons. The biggest hurdle he’ll face is the sheer number of kids trying to make the show at the same time: it can’t be done.
Let’s run some numbers in order to make the point:
- Peckham is the 11th defender to play a game for the Oilers this season.
- Two long term D are over 30 (Souray, Staios).
- Of the 8 D on the Oilers “roster” currently, 6 were born in 1983 or later.
- Aside from Pitkanen, Gilbert, Grebeshkov, Greene, Smid and Roy at the major league level, Peckham is in competition for major league at-bats with Bryan Young and Danny Syvret who still count as prospects among Oilers’ minor leaguers.
- Bubbling under are players like Taylor Chorney, Cody Wild, Jeff Petry, Sebastien Bisaillon (injured) and one or more of them will join the competition in the fall.
I wouldn’t bet against Peckham, though. He is younger than all but Petry and has already played a major league game.