Preds at Oilers, G67/07-08

At the beginning of the summer, we talked about the Oilers having a bunch of young kids at forward who were “neck and neck” to make the club. The Desjardins NHLE numbers for Nilsson, Jacques, Brodziak and Pouliot were very close and Rob Schremp wasn’t far behind.

Here, let me list the AHL 06-07 Desjardins’ NHL stats for Oilers prospects so we can see just how close it was in terms of counting numbers:

1. Robert Nilsson 82gp, 10-27-37 (21)
  2. Marc Pouliot 82gp, 16-20-36 (21)
  3. Jean Francois Jacques 82gp, 13-23-36 (21)
  4. Kyle Brodziak 82gp, 15-20-35 (22)
  5. Rob Schremp 82gp, 10-21-31 (20)
  6. Tom Gilbert 82gp, 3-18-21 (23)
  7. Mathieu Roy 82gp, 7-13-20 (23)
  8. Tyler Spurgeon 82gp, 6-12-18 (20)
  9. Alexei Mikhnov 82gp, 6-12-18 (24)
  10. Danny Syvret 82gp, 3-11-14 (21)
  11. Zack Stortini 82gp, 7-5-12 (20)
  12. Brock Radunske 82gp, 3-0-3 (23)
  13. Troy Bodie 82gp, 0-2-2 (21)
  14. Bryan Young 82gp, 0-1-1 (20)

That’s per 82gp, numbers are nicked based on 06-07 age (as per Gabriel Desjardins NHLE). In any given year if you have 5 guys (like 1-5 above) knocking on the door a team should be thrilled that two have established themselves. We shouldn’t be terribly surprised either that it was Nilsson and Brodziak who found a way, since one was part of the Smyth return (and without overstating it they were going to have a long look at a guy like that) and the other was made in the image of the head coach. Not to take anything away from either, they’ve both earned it.

The question now is about Pouliot and Jacques, two rfa’s. Do the Oilers sign either to a one-way contract at fewer dollars for 08-09? Or do they deal them in the summer for a mid-round pick? It’s possible Marc Pouliot will play tonight. If he does, he needs to show something.

62 Responses to "Preds at Oilers, G67/07-08"

1. Julian says:

this is obviously a silly question given i’ve been reading your blog for a long time now, but i just want to clarify something….

NHLE means that said player would score that amount of points in the NHL had he played there instead of his other league, right? So had MP played 82 games in NHL in 06-07 in the same role (minutes at ES and PP/PK, dif. of opposition)instead of in the AHL, he would have probably scored around 36pts that NHL season.

Correct?

Just wanna make sure i’ve got this all down right. Is the actual essay that explains all this online anywhere? i didn’t see it on dejardin’s site.

2. Bruce says:

Amazing that out of that 2003 draft, two guys who are currently on the team were drafted consecutively at #214 and #215. Not too often one team gets two players out of the seventh round.

Also in or near the NHL from that round are Nathan Paetsch, Joe Pavelski, and recent Leaf call-up Jeremy Williams. The 7th round in 2002 featured just two players who are currently in the league, Fredrik Norrena and Derek Meech; from 2004 also just two so far, Troy Brouwer (1 GP this year) and Chris Campoli.

It is interesting to note that both Brodziak (19) and Roy (turning 20) were beyond their first year of eligibility when picked. In fact of the 9 players named above, only Meech was picked in his first draft-eligible season by those notorious late-round bandits the red Wings; Norrena was a mature Euro, while the others were all 19 or 20. I’m not sure how widespread the practice is of picking older players in the late rounds, but based on that tiny sample it seems to be a good idea.

3. Julian says:

Also…. at what point is age not a serious consideration? I just read another thing on Dejardin’s site about how players separated by even eight or nine months can see a huge impact on their expected point totals…. obviously it means something at 17, but how much bigger is a 12 month gap at age 17-18 than a 12 month gap at age 21-22?

4. Dennis says:

Not sure where I stand on how the org views JFJ. They didn’t deal him at the deadline but

A: Matty had him listed among the three suspects that the Oilers were willing to talk about, ie the other two were Pouliot and Schremp

B: JFJ was injured at the time so they couldn’t deal him anyway.

It’s like everyone says, you look at a guy that big and fast and who also scored 25 goals in 60 odd games as an AHL rookie and it’s hard not to keep giving him chance after chance. At some point it becomes a consideration of dealing him before teams lose interest altogether but without looking at their AHL numbers, when guys like Isbister and Green keep getting shots you know that size is to the NHL and hope springing eternal what being lefthanded is to MLB.

I think we can all be certain that the Oilers would have preferred JFJ be in the slot that 46 is now given that he’s bigger, faster and has shown more touch at minor pro level.

As for Pouliot, is there anything he can do within reason to convince the Oilers NOT to bring back Stoll and Reasoner? Because if 16-19 return, there’s simply no place for Pouliot. And I can only see Stoll being moved in the longed for quan for qual move and Reasoner’s probably the biggest MacT fav of all time and we know what that means.

I’m a pessimist by nature – don’t be shocked, it’s true;) – but I think this call-up for Marc is as much about increasing his trade value as it is about him making the club in ’08.

He’s been passed by a lot of guys and when you look at the kid line it appears to me that playing pivot on that line could’ve been his and that MacT would probably prefer it in some respects, ie he would add size, would be the most likely among them to win a faceoff and is the best defensive player of the lot. But Nilsson got in there and he’s doing more than fine and time as an Oiler is ticking away for Pouliot.

5. heed says:

doh! pouliot is foiled by sanderson’s back. garon starts again.

6. Dennis says:

The best laid plans are of mice and men who believe in Pouliot;)

7. dstaples says:

Loweties, you are to Pouliot what Andy Grabia is to Fernando Pisani, and perhaps what I am to Ladislav Smid.

When no one else is thinking Pouliot, he is on your mind.

It’s great that players have such loyal fans.

So, if the Pou man plays, I’ll be rooting for him, too, just because I can imagine you doing a victory dance in your living room if this guy ever scores a goal again.

Good luck to the both of you :)

8. Bendelson says:

Big game tonight… with all the ‘struggles’ this team has had all year, it’s encouraging that they are still playing important games this late in the season.

Can they win?

If the ‘Kid’ line continues to find the back of the net they can.

If Garon continues to shine they can.

If Roy doesn’t continuously get exposed as the AHL defensemen he is they can… (wow did he have a bad game vs. Columbus!)

Anyone backing off their ‘Cogliano can’t score’ statements a week or two back? 15 as an ‘effective’ rookie shows me potential…

Disappointing Pouliot might not be in the lineup tonight. I’d be tempted to ‘remove’ Reasoner or Sanderson to make room.

Go team.

9. Dennis says:

MacT at the morning skate said he liked how Pouliot can play all three positions. He also said that while Sanderson’s back was OK this morning, they’d see later on and they, ie MacT and Co., had some options so they’d see later on.

I took those comments to be promising and it leads me to my next question: can Pouliot stay up even IF no one goes on IR? My belief was that we designated four guys that could go up or down, ie Cogs-Strots-Smid-Nilsson, and that if we called anyone else up, they’d have to stay for the remained of the season. Can someone confirm that?

BTW, KP was on Gregor’s show last night and also said Gagner was eligible to play in the AHL playoffs. Not sure if the Oilers are planning on airlifting the GNC line into SF for the playoffs but it looks like they’re at least considering it.

10. Bruce says:

A fine example of redundant drafting, these guys are excellent comps. Obviously JFJ was the first choice, he was drafted 68th in ’03, ZS 94th. JFJ, who is a few months older, was given a cup of coffee before Zack in the AHL in ’04′-05; another in the NHL in ’05-06; the first and longer chance in ’06-07; and the first chance this season. While the size differential is inconsequential (both are 6’4, JFJ listed as 5 lbs. heavier at 225), I agree “advantage JFJ” w.r.t. natural speed and scoring touch. Neither was a big scorer at the junior level (JFJ 78 goals, Zack 55 in four full years apiece). Both had to be considered “projects” at the time they were drafted.

It’s interesting to compare their performance at in the AHL, over parts of three or four seasons (playoffs included):

JFJ: 149 GP, 46-52-98, -31, 295 PiM
    ZS: 140 GP: 17-9-26, +5*, 544 PiM
    (* may be incomplete)

… and at the NHL level:

JFJ: 53 GP, 0-0-0, -17, 35 PiM
    ZS: 79 GP, 3-6-9, -7, 271 PiM

Given his vastly superior output in the A, JFJ’s complete (as in “total”) lack of scoring at the NHL level is baffling, but his poor defensive performance less so. He has been a minus player every year he’s been in the organization, at both the AHL and NHL level each year. Zack meanwhile has been around break-even, a rate which he has maintained in the bigs this season. 46 has also brought his toughness to the NHL, where he has maintained a rate of 3+ PiM per game, while JFJ’s physicial presence is greatly diminished if his PiM are any judge.

Finally, there’s a question of attitude. When JFJ got demoted earlier this season he has been an inconsequential player at the AHL level (38 GP, 11-14-25, -13, 63 PiM), whereas Zack went down with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove, and proved it quickly (4 GP, 3-2-5, even, 21 PiM), earning an immediate recall to the big club. I’m sure Zack had hoped he’d seen the last of the AHL last sping, when he was a Calder Cup champion, and he did all he could to ensure his visit this season was brief.

Dennis I will agree with you that JFJ has the advantage in physical talent (speed, hands), but it seems clear to me that Zack has a big advantage on the mental side of the game (attitude, desire, discipline, work ethic) which is why he’s in the NHL to stay while JFJ withers on the vine in Springfield. Surely you can’t claim he wasn’t given the opportunity, he just didn’t make it count.

11. doritogrande says:

Dennis, SF would have to make the playoffs for that to happen. And as of right now, it’s not happening what with the cross-over between divisions, and a complete lack of defensive depth (it appears that Theo Peckham is playing top minutes, wtf.)

The Hockey Jesus can only do so much for birds of prey.

12. Dennis says:

Bruce: Even though Zach’s playing fine and certainly brings a physical element to the table, I’d still rather Pouliot play over him. But I wouldn’t say the same for Jacques. I haven’t given up on JFJ but he had a lot of time last year and did very little with it and I’d have to agree with you that it’s something of a mental nature.

BTW, I’m listening to Stauffer now and trying to hear whether 78 makes it into the top 12 tonight. Anyone hear anything?

13. Bruce says:

Dennis, I guess we just see the game differently. To me it is the physical element that has turned recent games in Oilers’ favour time and again. We didn’t have that earlier in the season, at least not consistently. Even in the absence of Raffi, Souray, and Smid, all of whom bring a little grit, it seems like one constant in recent weeks has been the crashing of the fourth unit. Give Lowe credit for addressing at least one need with the acquisition of GlenX, and MacT for throwing those guys over the boards for at least 2 or 3 minutes every period. The outscoring has been a bonus; the key is they have made our club tougher and more competitive on a nightly basis.

Pouliot brings other things to the table, but he doesn’t bring that, not that I’ve noticed. That said, I hope he gets a game, and makes the most of it.

14. Pat H says:

BTW, I’m listening to Stauffer now …

*ahem* I believe his name is Van Wilder.

15. doritogrande says:

Our little Samwise is the Rookie of the Month for February.

16. Bruce says:

55 seconds.

2 questions:

1) What is it about the fucking Predators?

2) Why isn’t J.P. Dumont leading the scoring race?

17. Bruce says:

2-0. Has there even been a whistle yet?

18. doritogrande says:

So um, what the fuck’s going on tonight? Maybe Garon decided to take the night off?

19. PDO says:

Oilers absolutely don’t deserve to be down 3-0 by any stretch of the imagination.

Why do these European midgets own us?

20. Bruce says:

Good decision to go with Sanderson. 3 shifts, 1:04 TOI, -3.
    Unfuckinreal.

21. PDO says:

That has to be an NHL record…

-3 in 1:04?! HOW?!

22. Bruce says:

Reasoner not much better. 3 shifts, -3. He’s got 1:51 TOI though, so he’s only bleeding at the rate of 97.3 GA/60. Sanderson’s up around -168.75/60.

Holy crap.

23. PDO says:

Well, Marty wasn’t screening the goalie (Sanderson is a winger, how the hell did he get in front of the net in the first place?!) on a goal either, Bruce.

If we’re looking at that neat little error stat, I have:

1st goal: Greene.
    2nd goal: None, maybe Garon… was his stick on the ice?
    3rd goal: Sanderson, maybe Garon, and Stortini for not getting his ass off the ice.

Well not to be an ass, but perhaps Pouliot might have been a better option this evening than Freedom 55.

25. Bruce says:

I’m too cheap to PPV, and I’m sure glad. This is torture to listen to, but at least it’s free.

Rod said the second goal went in off of Staios, he turned his foot and directed it in.

9 giveaways, 0 takeaways tells a tale, doesn’t it?

What I don’t understand is after 7 straight regulation losses to these guys, when the fuck do we start to get a hate on for them? I wish they had 10% of my adrenaline, you’d be hearing the boards crashing once in a while. But I’m hearing nothing but error-error-error, and it pisses me right off. I’m all over MacT for this, his team wasn’t ready to play. Against the same guys that have just been killing us for two years solid.

Bruce: The D’s outlet passes are connecting about as often as Ralph Brock did as a rookie, Garon looks off and Geoff Sanderson is playing like Derek Sanderson (who is 61 years old).

27. Bruce says:

That has to be an NHL record…

-3 in 1:04?! HOW?!

First shift: 0:27, GA
    Second shift: 0:24, GA
    Third shift: 0:13, GA

Call him the anti-Mosienko.

28. PDO says:

So..

We’re down 3-0.

We should be winning this game. Maybe 2-1, maybe 3-1, maybe 3-2…

But the Preds scored 2 wonky goals, and one on a real good hockey play on a 2 on 1. The Oilers have had a few 5 bell chances… they just couldn’t bury one.

29. Bruce says:

Yeah, I rmeember Ralph Brock, too bad he played in a different era than Brock Ralph. That would have been quite the pitch-and-catch combo.

If I were a betting man I would’ve been heavily against the Oilers today, they were lucky to win their last game, like a team on the tail end of a winning streak. They were coughing the puck like crazy then too, though not 9 times in a period. And the Preds are just death for us for some reason. Ellis, Erat and Dumont might as well be Plante, Beliveau and Richard.

30. PDO says:

It’d be kinda nice if Brodziak would pick his man up.

31. Bruce says:

Brodz in the Sanderson role.

Reasoner -4.

32. Bruce says:

Sounds like Sanderson’s got the rest of the night off. They should send him up to the PB to apologize to Pouliot.

33. PDO says:

How many useless shots does Jarret Stoll take from the point per game?

5?

34. PDO says:

Beautiful goal from Gilbert. Fantastic shot, great release. Pisani, Cogliano and Nilsson all made great plays as well.

And he passed Coffey. Nuts.

35. Bruce says:

Good news, Sanderson played a 21-second shift with nary a goal being scored. All that happened were 2 fights and 40 minutes in penalties. Good defensive play by Zack to start a scrap before the Preds could burn Sanderson again. Sounded like 46 more than held his own with Hordichuk, and like it gave the Oil a bit of a boost for a minute or two. At least we’re on the board.

36. Bruce says:

PDO: At least. Seems like 10 some nights. Our big weapon on the PP has a shooting percentage of 6.5% this season, 8.8% on his career. Maybe it’s time to think about a Plan B.

37. Bruce says:

28 shots and counting for Stoll in his latest 9-game goal-less drought. That’s not counting misses and attempts blocked which most nights add up to a crooked number as well.

38. PDO says:

Honestly, I don’t know if I have ever seen an NHL forward with worse offensive vision than Jarret Stoll. Passing lanes blow by him, and his ability to take (and make) a pass is beyond terrible.

I have serious doubts if he would have ever cracked 35 points if he didn’t have such a heavy shot.

Keep in mind, I said nothing about accurate.

Someone needs to remind him that getting shots through is certainly important, but if you’re at the blueline, there’s no traffic, and it’s a wrist shot, IT IS NOT GOING TO DO ANYTHING.

39. uni says:

I still remember last season when Stoll had to worry about Pierre Macguire sneaking into his room to take at peek at his monster.

I’m still hoping that he can shake off the post concussion funk and round back into what he was showing us he could do in 06-07.

Then again I’m still waiting for Mikhnov to come over and blow the doors off the hinges in TC 2008.

40. Bruce says:

Much better, GV:TK ratio was merely 5:1 that period. 14:1 on the night. Nashville is 6:5.

Oh well, I’m outta here, I’ll read about the miracle comeback later.

41. doritogrande says:

PDO: It’s very easy to forget that Raffi Torres exists. You’re forgiven.

I think it was Casey Stengel who said (something like) “you’re going to lose 50 and win 50 just because and it’s what you do in the other 50 than wins the pennant.”

Oilers have to count tonight as one of the 50 they lose no matter. I think I was at the last game the Oilers won against the Preds and Cory Cross got the winner.

43. Dennis says:

- There was a shot of Sanderson on the bench late in the game and he looked equal parts pissed and befuddled and Brown says, “You know maybe his back is acting up again because he’s only played one shift since the first period.” You don’t even have to make this stuff up.

- I’m still not sure what the ruling is on Pouliot, ie can he play only if someone’s on the IR, but I think I’m right when I said he can play just as long as the Oilers know he has to then stay up for the rest of the season because Morley said perhaps Marc would get a shot on the upcoming roadtrip.

- Stoll had two chances to score tonight and at least that’s progress. Overall, though, we’re getting nothing from 16-27 at EV so I guess 10 was driving that bus. Or else the bus has ran out of gas…again.

- I’m all for finding out if Garon can handle a workload but what’s there to learn from a guy’s 12th and 13th consecutive starts when he’s already put in the 11th? I say this because I was calling for him to come out after last Thurs’s win over LA. He’s been giving up a tonne of goals for awhile now and it’s time to sit him down. There’s no harm in it but two games in a row now where he gets beat off bad angle shots.

- One play in the second where 12 was to the left of Ellis and knocked down a pass with his skate and then almost put it on his stick before the D got to him. Plus he went on to monkey Hamhuis. Fabulous skill and I’d never deny it; but with that many kids on the same line, you shelter them or you end up losing house and home.

- Speaking of Ellis, excellent night from him. Right off the bat he stoned 16 and then 12 and his rebound control was outstanding all night. He kicked first Garon and then Roli’s ass in the battle of Goalie.

- I’m with Bruce on the Oilers had this coming and I don’t know where he picked it up but one of the smartest things I ever heard MacT say was at the end of winning streak you’re winning games you shouldn’t and at the end of a losing streak you’re losing games you shouldn’t. Oilers have been playing fast and loose since the LA game and had no business winning in LA. Given that fact plus that super lucky goal 24 scored vs CBJ plus the fact that Nsh owns us, I thought we’d get knocked around in this one.

Oh well, losses haven’t bothered me this year as much as they have in year’s past because even with everyone healthy I didn’t have us pegged higher than 9th, ie I had us 9 or 10. I venomed after the Souray signing and thus resigned to mediocrity.

44. Dennis says:

LT: I believe that was an overtime winner, was it not? Cross scored from the right of centre?

Dennis: Yep and yep.

46. Oilman says:

You know what LT, I don’t remember ever hearing that Casey Stngal quote, but it must be stored in with all my other useless information, because not a few weeks ago, a buddy and I were talking baseball and I said you know what, every team in the league wins 50 games and loses 50 games, it’s your record in those other 62 that counts….and I thought I was coming up with something profound…turns out I was just regurgitating!

47. Mr DeBakey says:

OT

My son’s Hockey News “Future Watch” issue arrived today.

On the back page they take a look back at their lists from 5 years ago, and 10 years ago.
    Some highlights:
    ’03
    2. Pitkanen
    12. The Joffrey
    14. Rita
    15. Grebshkov
    33. Raffi
    49. Jared Aulin [2pts/game in Canada West for the Dinos this season]
    ’98
    8. Marc Denis [Yikes]
    14. M Garon
    20. The Swiss Miss
    37. Chris Hajt

48. Bruce says:

Not sure how smart it is, I know I’ve been saying stuff like that since before MacT was an Oiler. Sometimes you can’t win for losing and sometimes you can’t lose for winning. A winning streak often ends with one or two fluky wins where good stuff happens (like Staios’ complete fluke the other night) that outweighs the bad shit that starts creeping in, until eventually it all comes crashing down. The flip side, and you know how this happens Dennis, the team is on a losing streak and they play a great game or two and can’t buy a fucking break to save their souls. It was ever thus.

I’m with LT on the Casey Stengel quote, which I heard as “you’re sure to win a third of your games, lose a third, and what you do with the other third is what matters”. In baseball the “sure” wins and losses are largely due to pitching; in hockey, it’s goaltending, scheduling, and sometimes just a bad match-up, like Oilers-Preds. Those guys just own us right now, eight straight regulation wins, and in the last 6 of them they have scored 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, and 5 goals against us. 19-8 cumulative score this season. Ouch.

I do know you can’t expect to win a game in which you have more giveaways (19) than hits (12) and takeaways (3) combined; Oil got away with a similar sloppy effort on Sunday but it wasn’t going to happen again. The team has to respect the puck when they have it, and want it back when the other guys have it.

Speaking of Ellis, excellent night from him.

Dan Ellis is a strong goaltender. I attended the first Nashville game and was very impressed with him, also caught his act in the pre-season with Dallas a couple years ago when he split a game with Mike Smith and both looked excellent. Some teams (Dallas) can develop more goalies than they can use, and some teams (Edmonton) always have to look outside their own development system for a decent ‘tender. Don’t know why that is, but it just is.

49. Asiaoil says:

Well on the plus side (yuk yuk) that stellar effort by Sanderson leaves no reason to keep MAP in the PB next game. They should in fact just let Sanderson be “injured” for the rest of the season for all it matters.

50. PunjabiOil says:

Nice line.

I’m with Dennis – the losses haven’t bothered me much lately. They did until the end of the January/Early February – then when it became clear that we’re making the playoffs…

Last year was painful though. You trade away your best player, a complete letdown after going to G7 of the SCF, Patrick LaForge quacking that a lower cap would mean the world to the Oilers, and guys mailing in the last 20 games,.

This year? Reason for optimism include Garon, Gagner, Nilsson, Gilbert, Cogliano – their development in the later half of the season makes the losses manageable from a fan standpoint.

And boy, is my boy, Robert Nilsson making me proud.

51. heed says:

the 5th goal started with a giveaway in the nashville zone. cogliano literally jumped back in fright and passed the puck to no where. this was his reaction to tootoo getting within 5 feet of him. i had the pleasure of seeing this game live. thank god for hockey beers.

ps. training regime for jacques over the summer.

step 1 – feed him full of red bull and rye.

step 2 – tie him to a chair

step 3 – force him to watch don cherry’s rock em sock em hockey while listening to slayer full blast

52. doritogrande says:

Heed, if the law of drunken recall works (and I have Beerfest to prove it), step one of your training exercise doesn’t allow for Jacques to play a good game unless he drank the collective cast of Velvet Revolver under the table.

It’s still a fun idea, though do they play a lot of Slayer at Rexall? I’d be more inclined to go with “We Will Rock You”, but that’s just me.

53. oilerdiehard says:

Asiaoil said…

We used up all our regular call ups on the Falcons clear day list.

So MAP was an emergency call up and the second Sanderson said he was healthy enough to go. They had to send MAP back down.

Though after last nights performance he should fake the injury if he has to. Then we can call MAP back up.

54. Bruce says:

Wouldn’t take much faking. Colour me convinced.

I still don’t understand the ins and outs of this post-deadline call-up rule. I remember the screwing Oilers took last year when they had to play a defenceman short for weeks on end while getting their asses kicked night after night, and I frankly thought it made the NHL look like a bush league. What the heck do you mean by “clear day list”?

55. doritogrande says:

The clear day list applies to the AHL rosters. The Falcons have compiled a set roster for the remainder of their season, which includes (and I’m not 100% certain of this) Cogliano, Stortini, Smid and Nilsson (As per Dennis earlier in this thread). Them being on the AHL roster and playing in the NHL means that they have been called up. There’s your 4 recalls already. Anyone else they call up is considered to be an “emergency replacement” and can only play if we don’t have a full compliment of players for the recall’s position (F, D, G, you get the picture). This is why we couldn’t recall a forward last year to replace Petersen’s spot on F allowing him to switch to D. Having these 4 players as “recalled to NHL” and on the AHL clear-day roster however, also allows them to be sent down to Springfield at the end of our season for a Calder Cup run if the Falcons make the playoffs (they’re out of the running currently).

Any clearer?

56. Alice says:

If hooks the parent team that badly, then the Oilers/SF should have picked 3 guys for the AHL playoff run roster, given themselves at least one of the callups to, you know, call up? You’d think they’d prioritize for the needs in the show first.

57. heed says:

agreed. i know they want to get those guys some “playoff” experience but wouldn’t it be nice to be able to at least get a look at pouliot, jacques and reddox without seeing a man go down? i’m kinda interested in seeing reddox play a little. the limited amount i’ve seen of him this season, i’ve noticed that he actually goes to the front of the net. within 20 seconds of being on the ice during the stoll/torres “duntz” cap game, he was planted in front of the net and had a decent scoring chance. mind you 30 more seconds and we were scored on (ahhh the delightful memories).

ps during the intermission last night they had one of those kids games with no goalies (kids must have been 5 or 6). one of the kids was clearly the largest of the gang and by far the best. he played defence the entire time and didn’t follow the pack around the ice (he also stopped two goals). it was so wierd. i figure we draft the kid now unless there is a rule against drafting elementary school kids.

58. Bruce says:

According to the Journal:

“Pouliot had to be reassigned because he was called up on an emergency basis. The Oilers have used us their four call-ups, which is why they needed the emergency designation. Andrew Cogliano, Ladislav Smid, Robert Nilsson and Zack Stortini had recently (?) been assigned to the Falcons roster. It was paperwork that was required to ensure that the four could play in the AHL playoffs if the Falcons advance to the post-season and the Oilers do not.”

Smid, Nilsson and Stortini spent time in Springfield earlier, though Cogliano never played a minute down there so far as I know. So it seems like this is just manipulation of eligibility for the AHL playoffs.

I would conclude that Mathieu Roy is already considered an emergency call-up who is gone the moment Smid returns? I mean, I hope so, the guy is clearly out of his depths up here, but it seems like the big club has painted itself into a corner in terms of roster flexibility for the second year in a row. I’m with Alice in that I’m confused that the priority of the organization appears to be in Springfield instead of Edmonton. That’s just nuts.

59. Dennis says:

Pouliot is still listed on the Oilers roster on the official site so I imagine he hasn’t been sent back.

Plus, I’m signed up for official updates and I haven’t received any word on his demotion like I did on his promotion.

Finally, no news on the Falcons official site of his return.

It appears he hasn’t been sent back so I’m guessing Sanderson’s hurt again or will be put on the IR. As far as 8 goes, I don’t think you’d keep a guy on the bench if his back was acting up and I thought it was sloppy business from the scrum crowd that they didn’t ask why Sanderson didn’t play beyond very early in the second period.

60. Bruce says:

MacT vs. the scrum is the ultimate in soft minutes.

61. Dennis says:

Well it isn’t exactly power-on-power but Edm press vs Lowe is the ultimate soft-min matchup, IMO.

62. Dennis says:

Despite being still listed on the Oilers official roster, Pouliot has indeed been sent back to SF.

All hail Sanderson?