AHL Top 10 Scoring (Oilers Prospects)

Rob Schremp had a good offensive season in the AHL at age 21. 76 points in 78 games, 23-53-76.

Schremp finished tied for 7th in league scoring, alone in 7th in assists and 5th overall in powerplay assists.

The Oilers don’t really have a rich history with players who spend an entire minor league season putting up enough points to rank in the league’s top 10 in points.

Going back through time, and including Sugartits, here are the Edmonton Oiler minor leaguer prospects who have had a major impact on the minor league scoring race:

• 1979-80: Mike Toal, Houston (CHL) 76pts (tie-5th)
  • 1980-81: Tom Roulston, Wichita (CHL) 107pts (2nd)
  • 1980-81: Don Ashby, Wichita (CHL) 96pts (3rd)
  • 1982-83: Ray Cote, Moncton (AHL) 91pts (10th)
  • 1984-85: Ray Cote, Nova Scotia (WHL) 79pts (tie-7th)
  • 1990-91: Shaun Van Allen, Cape Breton (AHL) 100pts (3rd)
  • 1990-91: Dan Currie, Cape Breton (AHL) 92pts (10th)
  • 1991-92: Shaun Van Allen, Cape Breton (AHL) 113pts (1st)
  • 1991-92: Dan Currie, Cape Breton (AHL) 92pts (8th)
  • 1992-93: Dan Currie, Cape Breton (AHL) 98pts (7th)
  • 1994-95: Peter White, Cape Breton (AHL) 105pts (1st)
  • 1994-95: Ralph Intranuovo, Cape Breton (AHL) 93pts (4th)
  • 1999-00: Dan Cleary, Hamilton (AHL) 74pts (10th)
  • 2001-02: Jason Chimera, Hamilton (AHL) 77pts (5th)
  • 2001-02: Brian Swanson, Hamilton (AHL) 73pts (8th)
  • 2007-08: Rob Schremp, Springfield (AHL) 76pts (tie-7th)

14 Responses to "AHL Top 10 Scoring (Oilers Prospects)"

1. Oilman says:

That 92-93 team that was led by Dan Currie produced a nice crop of NHLers…Shaun Van Allen, Scott Thornton, Shjon Podein, and Kirt Maltby all had(or are still having) nice careers, and guys like Peter White, Stephen Rice, and Brad Werenka all had a few hundred NHL games as well. But Dan Currie with 98pts in the reg season and Bill McDougall (who had 52 points in just 16 playoff games that year) could never stick on an NHL lineup.

2. Jonathan says:

Intersting to compare Schremp to Cleary – although they were both about the same age, Cleary played 17 NHL games; his PPG was much nicer (1.28 vs. .97). Looking at that list I don’t think it bodes well for where Schremp is as a prospect.

3. Dennis says:

4. Jonathan says:

//I think Schremp deserves an NHL job based on his PP skills alone and if I was the GM on a team with a shitty PP, I’d throw a 2nd round for him.

But the Oilers don’t need him and a helluva lot of injuries would have to occur before he ever got a chance.//

Ditto everything. I really think he’s Jason Dawe.

5. Bruce says:

Outside of Cleary, Tom Roulston probably had the biggest impact on the Oilers, albeit indirectly. He was a big sniper at the minor league level, scoring 63 goals in 69 games in ’80-81, then scored 50 points in 30 games the next year as he got a longer cup o’ coffee in the bigs. He was an offensive minded guy, pretty good talent, major league shot, no shortage of confidence. Trouble was he was a centre, and had Gretzky and Linseman ahead of him (with Messier literally waiting in the wings). He wasn’t really a third-liner, wasn’t a penalty killer and couldn’t get a sniff on the powerplay unit. Early in the ’83-84 season Roulston was traded for one of the last bricks in the Stanley Cup dynasty, Kevin McClelland.

6. Coach says:

I’ve never understood how Dan Currie never played in the NHL.

LIke Tommy Roulston
    just a good AHLer?

7. oilerdiehard says:

In that list I think you may have forgotten Toby Petersen. He was our property in 05-06 was he not when he collected 73 points in the AHL.

oilerdiehard: Actually, these were just the prospects. I made a couple of calls in there (Petersen, someone else from the 80s I don’t remember who) where it was an AHL veteran type.

9. oilerdiehard says:

LT – Gotcha.

I remember thinking Dan Currie had to be a good player. I think he is one of a few players in AHL history. To record back to back 50+ goal seasons.

I even vaguely recall seeing him play once. From what I recall he was a really stocky guy, bad skater but great hands around the net.

10. knighttown says:

Oilman:

I remember growing up in CB at the time of that Calder Cup run. Billy McDougall literally scored 4 points every night. Never seen anything like it before or since. And to think, he wasn’t good enough for the show. Had a cup o’ coffee with TB if I recall. As for Dan the Man Currie, yeah, big, blonde and extremely lazy. Hands though.

11. Oilman says:

Not 4 points every night – I seem to recall him throwing a 7 and an 8 in there as well. It was a good time to be an Oilers fan attending the Highschool on the Highway:o)

12. digger says:

I remember watching Dan Currie during one of the Oilers training camps in the late 80′s. During the breakaway drills, he was absolutely lethal, it seemed like he’d score 80% of the time, outstanding finish.

Once the scrimmages started, he wasn’t quite so noticeable but he’d still get his share of goals just because his hands were so great.

IMO just another one of those AHL kids that couldn’t skate enough or think the game fast enough at the NHL level. The lack of NHL level hockey sense was what really held him back, I think.

In a way it was too bad, because the one thing he did do well he was better at it than nearly any other Oiler, and I’m dead serious about that. If he had the puck within 10 feet of the net and nobody on him, that puck was all but guaranteed to be hitting the twine.

13. Bruce says:

The strange thing is on that famous ’92-93 Cape Breton squad, Currie posted 75 GP, 57-41-98 in the season but just 16 GP, 7-4-11 in the Calder Cup run. McDougall meanwhile soared from an excellent 71 GP, 42-46-88 to an utterly surreal 16 GP, 26-26-52. Obviously he did so on a different line. :)

Q: Does McDougall’s 52 points rank as the professional record for the post-season? How about 26 goals? The NHL record is held by one W.Gretzky at “just” 47 points, while nobody has ever scored so many as 20 goals in one playoff season. Maybe in the lower minors? Playoffs do tend to be shorter down there, so I sorta doubt it. I’m betting McDougall is the all-time record(s) holder.

And with a name like McDougall, he must have been a popular man on the Cape. :)

14. doritogrande says:

I’d be tempted to keep Schremp with the big club next year in the pressbox as the 14th forward, as insurance/competition for the likes of Cogliano, Gagner and Nilsson. My situation involves Pouliot in the PB next year as well, giving us options if someone in the top-6 (Schremp in) cannot go for a game or is on a cold streak, while another option if someone in the bottom-6 (Pouliot in) cannot go for similar reasons.

We all know Schremp isn’t going to make it as a 3-4 liner, so why even try and play him like it? You bring Schremp in during TC and give him the ultimatum that here are the guys he has to outplay for a roster spot, and make him work for it. Hopefully, he can bring it.