Chorney Hurt in Frozen Four L

Oiler draft pick Taylor Chorney was injured tonight in a 6-1 loss to Boston College at the NCAA Frozen Four.

No word on the UND website as to the extent of the injury, but the North Dakota Areavoices site has it as a “knee on knee” hit.

71 Responses to "Chorney Hurt in Frozen Four L"

1. ClaytonMagnet says:

Of course he blew his knew out. There’s death, taxes, and Oiler prospects suffering serious injuries before their pro careers start.

2. nameht says:

looks like its not that bad

“It’s not my ACL, they said it’s my MCL, so that’s good news,” Chorney said after North Dakota’s 6-1 loss to Boston College in the Frozen Four semifinal. “They don’t think it’s fully torn either, so that’s even better news. They don’t know for sure, they said let it settle for two days then get an MRI. So it could’ve been a lot worse, but at the same time, it’s not the way I expected things to go today.”

3. voxel says:

“I just kind of made a pass to (Oshie), and then I went the other way, and the guy kind of hit me from the side,” Chorney said. “I don’t even know if it was a dirty play or not — some people said it was and some said it wasn’t. But it just kind of caught me in the right spot and twisted my knee the wrong way.”

- Sounds exactly what happened to Torres: innocent play + light hit from side.

4. Shawn says:

Can he go back to school again next year? Might be best if he’s dealing with a long term injury recovery.

5. Jonathan says:

Somehere, Mathieu Roy breathes a sigh of relief. Unfortunately, as he sighs, he lowers his shoulders, slips and crashes headfirst into a wall, concussing himself and forcing Kevin Lowe to recalculate how many defencemen he has.

6. Black Dog says:

Jonathan – nicely done.

7. heed says:

poor matty. he seemed to avoid the huge hits his last stint with the team. was i the only one who cheered when he drove that canuck face first into the glass? i felt dirty inside afterwards but if anyone should get a free pass for that hit, it’s this kid.

8. HBomb says:

i felt dirty inside afterwards but if anyone should get a free pass for that hit, it’s anyone as long as they’re doing it to a Canuck player

Fixed it for ya heed.

9. DBO says:

Mirtle on his website says the oil have resigned Gilbert. No details yet.

10. DBO says:

Press conference 11 am Edmonton time.

11. Keegan says:

6 years at 4 mil. Thoughts?

12. RiversQ says:

That’s expensive.

So now what is Pitkanen worth?

I thought Lowe had some leverage here with Gilbert and that they’d be able to keep the price down, but it didn’t happen.

This is another Cleveland Indians type deal – overpay up front in the hope that you’ll save on the backend, much like the Penner contract.

When it comes to the salary cap, Lowe started painting the floor near the door last year and now he’s halfway into the room. Two years from now he should be firmly in the far corner looking at his way out across the room.

13. Showerhead says:

first instinct is the same as yours, RQ. any word on actual dollars in specific years?

but yeah, at first blush it definitely looks like Lowe may have had more room to apply pressure. as you said, it also looks like Pitkanen’s price just got raised.

all in all, I’m happy that they locked him up though. a look around the league suggests there were a lot of RFA’s who got paid closer-to-market prices and since they locked Gilbert up until age 31 (or roughly when he will probably slowly start getting worse) you might say it’s fair.

IF he keeps getting better.

14. PunjabiOil says:

Way too much money for a guy who had only 1 NHL season behind his belt.

Not that I mind the player, and it’s good that we’ve locked him up in the prime of his career, but wow – way too much money.

Look, Brent Seabrook received 3.3M. Tyutin received 2.84 – 4 years.

Of course there is a difference in UFA years given up (4 for Gilbert), but dammit, this should have been a contract signed way back in December/January.

Dammit Kevin Lowe, just when I started having faith in you.

15. YKOil says:

Too much cash.

16. Showerhead says:

kind of makes you hope there’s a secret press conference planned for tomorrow where Souray announces retirement, no?

17. Oilman says:

I would assume this spells the end of the Pitkanen era?

18. DBO says:

I agree that’s a lot of money for a player who has one full season in the league. However, based on what they were willing to pay Penner, i think they figured lock up the core for the next 4-6 years, and run with these kids.

As for Pitkanen, we’ll i wonder now if this allows them to wait for an offer sheet. if it’s around $4.5 mill, then no worries we match. If it’s higher, then they take the picks. Personally i think he’s gone. Although with Staios on the World Champ team you wonder if his value in the league will never be higher, and if he could get you a top 3 player (along with a torres and a pick)

Geez…Moreau and Staios and Pisani are character and leadership and glue players.

Quit trying to trade them off.

20. Mr DeBakey says:

There’s room for both Gilbert & Pitkanen @ $4,000,000 if two of
    Torres, Stoll or Moreau are gone

that’s for this season
    I haven’t gone forward one year to look at Horcoff.

21. goldenchild says:

So if Gilbert gets 4 a year what does Horc get? What kind of bargaining position did Gilbert have to get a deal like this? I like 77 a lot but my god what does this do to the pay scale? Horc is now worth what 6 a year? Pitkannen must be a gonner cuz he is not gonna sign for Gilbert dollars, lord help us when Samwise and Cogs deals are up. Just when I think its cool to have faith in Lowe its the summer of 07 over again/

22. heed says:

i figured it would be 4 years at $3.5M so 6 years at $4M seems reasonable to me (in a professional sports salary kinda way). he’s a smart player and although the second half of his season was a dropoff, i think it will be a bargain with the amount dmen get paid these days.

is still leaves us with between $15 and $18M to sign the rest of the rfa’s. i think it will be manageable with room to spare.

23. PunjabiOil says:

The difference is Pitkanen is a PROVEN player with 2 seasons of 46 and 43 point seasons, and put up those numbers at a younger age. Pitkanen is also only 2 years away from unrestricted free agency.

With Gilbert, he’s 25. What you see is what you’re likely going to get. I highly doubt he’ll progress further as a player. He put up only 33 points (Staios routinely put up 25-30), struggled for most of 2008, and had a shooting percentage (13.3%) which is unlikely to be sustainable over the long run.

It’s another Dustin Penner contract. Pay for potential, that may not otherwise be there.

It was Pitkanen that put up strong results on the Oilers defense. I’d hate if he’s the guy out, under the hope that Sheldon Souray will take his spot.

The more I think about it, the more dumb this contract seems.

24. heed says:

i take it this finally signals the end to the lowe love in.

25. Showerhead says:

Fun fact: for Gilbert’s $4m to “look” like 3M, the cap would have to hit $69.3M.

26. PunjabiOil says:

Lets bypass the fact that the Oilers don’t take him to arbitration – even if Gilbert received an RFA offersheet this was in the compensation range of 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

Lowe had the leverage, and he didn’t utilize it.

Just exactly why he’s a mediocre/sub-par GM

27. Ribs says:

Nice signing.

It seems like a lot but spread over 6 years is pretty decent considering he will most likely continue to improve and command at least that much by the end of his deal.

I was hoping Lowe’d make it priority one and it looks like he got it done, fast.

It is a good day.

28. Traktor says:

PJO said: The difference is Pitkanen is a PROVEN player.

Who cares. Is Mike Green a proven player? Would that stop you from throwing 5 mill per at him? What about Pat Kane?

In a few years people will be looking at this contact the same way as we are looking at Tomas Kaberle’s right now.

29. therealdeal says:

He’s also pure chaos on the ice a lot of times.

Could Lowe have gotten Gilbert for less? Possibly.

It’s also possible that Gilbert outplays this contract.

Not a perfect move by Lowe, but certainly not his worst.

Now he better lock up Horcoff. Let’s not turn this into another Smyth fiasco where everyone BUT Smyth was resigned.

30. Slipper says:

What the fucking fuck?

I thought the salary cap would protect us from stupid GMs.

Does this mean Jan Hejda gets the league max?

31. rickibear says:

Gilbert yeilded his offensive role to Pitkannen when they were paired. He took on a more offensive role in the last half of the season.

His last half production projects out at 15G 45P. Only four defenceman in the league were 15G 30A guys.

The 8 games he played at the end of 2006-2007. He had 5Pts in 8 games.

I would be inclined to think his last half production is a fair reflection.

As I pointed out last week there are only 10 – 10G 30A dmen in the league each year. It is not unrealistic to expect Pitkanen, Grebs (based on his second half), Gilbert, and Souray to reach that.
    4 of 10 on our team.

During the time they were healthy or in the last half of the season the TOI was

Grebs 21:30
    Staios 22:00
    Gilbert 22:15
    Souray 24:15

I suggested it makes Pitkanen more expendable.

We might have our answer with this contract today.

32. Traktor says:

PJO said: Just how many teams would be willing to throw 4.1M to Gilbert AND give up a 1st, 2nd, 3rd?

A first round pick and change is fuck all for a top pairing defensemen entering his prime.

Go look at how many shots Gilbert blocked last year. I think he was 7th. The guy does it all.

33. PunjabiOil says:

How many GMs other than Kevin Lowe have thrown a major RFA offersheet over the years?

Way overblown.

I like the fact Gilbert is signed for the next 6 years. I just don’t like the dollars.

Tom Gilbert had a .9M cap hit. This raise is 3.1M.

There are plenty of other guys that will need raises. Horcoff (1.5M-2.0< ). Nilsson (1M). Glencross (.8-1M). Pitkanen (2-2.5M). Grebeshkov (0.75-1M). Stoll (0.25-0.75M)

Garon is a UFA next season and could command 4M.

Cogliano and Gagner RFA’s in 2 years.

Where is this money coming from? We lose Tarnstrom (2M) and Sanderson (1.5M), which covers the raise of Gilbert, but what else? There’s a 3-4M increase in salary cap.

It means guys like Staios, and Torres are gone. And possibly Pitkanen too.

But what does it mean?

We’ll be pressed tight to the cap, with little flexibility.

A la the upcoming Calgary Flames teams.

34. Slipper says:

I love that it’s become an accepted practise to only count the good times when assessing and projecting teams and players.

Is this the season?

Is this the season 11 Oilers forwards have 20 goal years?

35. HBomb says:

PJO: You want to know where the money should come from?

The 5.4 million per season that is currently tied up in Sheldon Souray.

That dumb contract is going to cost us a quality player somewhere, be it Pitkanen, Horcoff, or someone else….

36. therealdeal says:

PunjabiOil,

If we’re talking overall cap issues the Oilers are going to have, the real mistake is still Souray/Penner. IMO the Gilbert signing was ok, it just wasn’t good enough to make up for the problems the Souray/Penner contracts created.

37. jon k says:

The signing is fine in my opinion. It seems like a big number when you see it on the page, but some careful thought reveals some things.

Let me just start by saying I’m biased since during the offseason I was thinking we’d eventually sign him for 4 x $3.5

1. Gilbert is 25. He was set to become UFA in 2 more seasons. The contract therefore eats 4 UFA years, a huge consideration.

2. Gilbert was a 33 point defenseman in his first full season, albeit as a 25 year old. If we play the optimist and assume he wore down in the second half as a result of adjusting to the NHL game, he seems like a 10-15 goal, 15-25 assist defenseman. He’s not going to improve as much as a younger player might at this point, but I still think that’s realistic.

3. Projecting forward, what is a 27 year old defenseman who can put up 40 points a season while playing a smooth brand of defense and about 24 minutes a night worth as an UFA? Especially once keeping salary escalation for UFAs in mind, two years from now.

I think the contract is reasonable and fair for both parties.

No doubt, it’s the writing on the wall for Pitkanen or Grebeshkov, but then again I don’t like to be kept in suspense anyway. ;)

38. Slipper says:

It could be both by the end of the contract season, HBomb.

We’ve yet to see how little Lowe will try to bargain with the remaining free agents.

39. Bruce says:

Wow, that’s a lot of dough.

All this talk about Pitkanen, I’m glad to see PJO bring up the name of Denis Grebeshkov, a guy Craig MacTavish likes a LOT. Like Gilbert, Grebs’ cap hit was just under $1 MM this season. By my calculation Grebs is one year removed from UFA.

Overall Gilbert had the better season, played 82 games to 71 with more TOI and responsibility for the most part. But if you look at their season splits, you see a different story, esp. when it comes to +/-:

Gilbert: 82 GP, 13-20-33, -6
    ————————————–
    1st Half: 41 GP, 7-7-14, +3
    2nd Half: 41 GP, 6-13-19, -9
    ————————————–

Grebeshkov: 71 GP, 3-15-18, +2
    ————————————–
    1st Half: 34 GP, 0-4-4, -8
    2nd Half: 37 GP, 3-11-14, +10
    ==========================

I’d say Mr. Grebs’ agent has a lot of leverage right about now. At first blush I’d also say there’s no way that all three of 25-37-77 are back.

40. jon k says:

I forgot to mention a key comparable for my last point.

Spacek, a relatively consistent 24 minute defenseman who puts up 30-40 points a season received 3.5 million per year as an UFA two seasons ago, as we no doubt remember. He was 32 years old at the time.

To reiterate, I think the contract is reasonable and good value for both parties.

41. jon k says:

I’m forced to post again in response to a good point from Bruce.

In my opinion Grebeshkov should be Lowe’s next priority above Nilsson, and the goal should be 4-6 years at around 3-3.5. His early season struggles temper his counting numbers a bit and should give us a bit more leverage but the negotiations are obviously far from a sure thing.

42. Slipper says:

Greneshkov is a RFA. Right now.

Gilbert has the de facto numer uno shooting percentage in the NHL at 13.8 %. By a huge margin, aswell.

Yep, I’m hoping he can maintain it, too:)

43. DBO says:

The more I look at it, the more I like this deal. I may be in the minority but hear me out.
    If Lowe truly believes that by adding one offensive piece we are a contender, then he has a 2 year window to make a run starting next year. As LT posted a few weeks ago, you need rookies outproducing their deals (Cogs, Brodz, gagner, Nilsson if he gets a reasonable deal), middle salaried players in their prime (Hemsky, Horcoff for 1 year, Penner hopefully in 2 years) and vets at the tail end of deals who are playing for a contract (Stoll, Torres, Pisani, Garon, Rollie) and some vets at the end of the line who bring leadership(Staios, Moreau). In 2 years Torres, Pisani, Rollie, probably Stoll will be up, with Staios and Moreau the following year. Greene and Smid will be up next year and one or both are gone with Chorney, Peckham and Petry in their spots. Not to mention Pitkanen probably gets a 2 year, $5 mill deal, allowing Lowe to decide if he wants himlong term, and i n2 years Souray can be dealt or sent down to hide his dollars. meaning we make a run with the current cast for the next 2 years, then cut 5 or 6 loose to sign the kids and promote some of our youth.
    Lowe locked Glbert up to be there for both runs at the cup, and for the first time I actually think Lowe has a plan with these deals.

or am I drinkning the Kool Aid

44. HBomb says:

It could be both by the end of the contract season, HBomb.

Christ, I’d be upset if that played out that way. I’m worried that everything I’d like to see (keep Horcoff, trade Stoll; keep Pitkanen; keep Torres but try and move Moreau; let Pouliot replace Reasoner), Lowe’s going to go and do the opposite.

Horcoff being extended is a must. And for a guy of Joni’s upside, you find a way to accomodate him. Even if it means taking 30 cents on the dollar from someone to offload 44′s contract.

45. RiversQ says:

or am I drinkning the Kool Aid

Yes, yes you are.

I like Gilbert, but this deal has me scratching my head because it seems like Lowe killed some cap space while he still has big dollar items in Pitkanen and Horcoff’s extension to come to terms with.

Considering Lowe likely also wants to keep Grebs and Nilsson, and will be paying Gagner and Cogliano big money immediately after their entry level deals end in two seasons, one has to wonder where the window is for this team now? Where will the money come from?

If they keep Horc (and follow the status quo with Penner, Souray, etc) then it’s 2009/2010 or bust.

46. rickibear says:

Horcoff is a PPG at his best with PK and PvP ability. He turns 30 at the start of his new contract: a 27M/6yr (5,5,5,4.5,4,3.5)deal would be tops. 4.5M cap hit. The first four years is Langkow contract (current) in value. The last three years age 33-35 is similiar to St. louis’s contract.

47. Dennis says:

I like the lenght of the pact because I’ve been a 77 fan for awhile and I think he could be a guy who could boost the counting stats if he got the PP time.

Which he probably will now that 77′s gone.

But like the man said, you look at what Seabrook is getting and how long he’s been playing and you can’t help but think Lowe overpaid.

If Lowe’s gonna keep everyone — at least most of these guys — then he has to make someone take a cut or he just has to use leverage.

He decided not to do that with Gilbert and now someone else is gonna have to be moved out of town to make up for it.

The first guy out is obviously Pitkanen and now the whole joining-the-rush and creating offense at EV will fall to Gilbert. I’m not saying Tom can’t do that but I just can’t see why we couldn’t have both Gilbert and Pitkanen and if Brownlee’s speaking for the org when he thinks Pitkanen’s only worth 3.5, well then Lowe’s back to being what we always thought he was.

48. Devin says:

jon k- Grebs at 3.5M?! In the words of Lil Jon – wwwWHAT?!

Let’s look at comparables before we start throwing around ridiculous amounts of money here. Grebs may be a good player for years to come, but we have to keep an eye on replacement value for 2nd and 3rd pairing defenders. Grebs gets 1.5M/yr on a 2yr deal, or max. 8M/4, or send him home if he doesn’t like it. So what if he magically matures into a superstar and we’re forced to make an expensive decision? Lowe has already made that decision with the Souray and Gilbert deals, and he has a guy in Pitkanen that has displayed a great deal more value if you’re going to make that bet.

Grebs comparable: Dan Girardi (NYR) nearly 24 y/o. Rookie season 28 pts, second/third pairing guy. Re-signed 2 years, 3.1M total.

Anyway, these guys are good and getting better, but the Oilers are still an awful GA team, so why again should the D cost the same as Anaheim’s?

Lowe gave Gilbert the Ryan Whitney deal (4M/6yr) when we wanted a Matt Carle deal (3.438M/4yr) or Brent Burns deal (3.55M/4). I think it’s safe to assume 2 more (UFA) years of Carle or Burns would be worth over 5M/each. Gilbert also plays much tougher minutes than all but Burns. Whitney scored 59pts in his contract year, though. As much as I’m wincing at this signing, I don’t think it’s far from market value for 2+4UFA years of Gilbert. The assumption is that Gilbert continues to improve, and that’s really a crapshoot.

49. Bruce says:

For the record, Gilbert’s 159 blocks ranked 11th, certainly very very good. As for “doing it all” (and since you raised RTSS), Gilbert’s 27 hits ranked 207th among NHL defencemen, meaning about 7 defencemen PER TEAM with more hits than him. Of 176 defencemen with 50+ GP, Gilbert had more hits than just 5. Tom does a lot, but he doesn’t do that.
    ***

While I was tooling around in RTSS I noticed that Joni Pitkanen ranked 9th with 71 giveaways. Given he missed a bunch of time, he was down the list a little ways. On a per-game basis, Joni had the worst giveaway rate among the 198 defencemen with 40+ GP.

50. Black Dog says:

But Dennis we have Souray!

I figured 3 to 3.5 so its slightly more then that.

Hopefully he is not Matt Carle, who was scratched in G1 for SJ.

I like Tom a lot but of course the contract is ridiculous. And seeing as they are in talks with everyone but Joni that tells us where this is going.

As always the issue with Lowe is that things could be better. Did this year turn out OK, all things considered? Yes but its more on MacT then Lowe I would say. If Lowe had had a couple of more vets then this was a playoff team.

Now they have a ton of nice kids and Joni is a goner because he has so much cap space tied up in Sheldon Souray.

Tsk.

51. Black Dog says:

That guy Lidstrom isn’t a big hitter either though Bruce.

Gilbert’s not real physical but he doesn’t have to be either.

52. Master Lok says:

The key is the four UFA years given up. Put me down as one who doesn’t this deal is all that bad at all. How much would you pay for Gilbert in two years time as a UFA?

53. Jonathan says:

Guys signed to comparable contracts this season:

CGY – Robyn Regehr – 20mil/5yrs (4)
    CHI – Brent Seabrook – 10.5mil/3yrs (3.5)
    COL – Brett Clark – 7mil/2yrs (3.5)
    MIN – Brent Burns – 14.2mil/4yrs (3.55)
    MIN – Nick Schultz – 21mil/6yrs (3.5)
    SJ – Matt Carle – 13.75mil/4yrs (3.44)
    STL – Barrett Jackman – 14.4mil/4yrs (3.6)
    VAN – Kevin Bieksa – 11.25mil/3yrs (3.75)

The Gilbert deal is certainly in the range, but it ain’t the best of them by a long shot. And, like everyone else here, I realize it means that Pitkanen is gone, because 25% of our cap is tied up in 3 d-men (Souray, Gilbert, Staios) for the next three years. Are any of those fellow established, top-pairing players?

54. DBO says:

Or maybe Gilbert’s agent just sent KLowe Cory Sarich’s deal in Calgary and said, you better beat it. Sarich got 5 years at $3.6 mill cap hit. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a great comparable but we only paid $400K more for Gilbert who is 3 years younger and way better. To follow the Flame angle, Aucoin is $4 mill, Regher got $4 mill and Phaneuf got $6.5 mill. If that is the standard for dmen, is $4 million for gilbert that unreasonable gien his age and talent level?

55. jon k says:

An exercise in predicted lineup and cap hit for next year would hit the spot right now. I wonder if LT has it in the cards for us tonight? ;)

For next season though, can’t help but wonder and predict…

Penner (4.25) – Horcoff (3.6) – Hemsky (4.1)
    Torres (2.25) – Stoll (2.2*) – Pisani(2.5)
    Nilsson (2.75*) – Gagner (1.625) – Cogliano (1.13)
    Glencross (1.75*) – Brodziak (0.50) – Stortini (0.53)
    Reasoner (0.95*)

Nilsson 2 x $2.75
    Glencross 3 x $1.75
    Reasoner 1 x $0.95
    Pitkanen 3 x $4.5
    Grebeshkov 4 x $3.5
    Pouliot 2 x $1.0

I tried to make it somewhat plausible, whether or not I was successful is another thing I suppose. But anyway, if things do indeed turn out like this it seems we would be just $2 million over the cap… which would be Moreau or Torres’ contracts it seems.

Other thoughts?
    -Lowe better hope the cap goes up again because Horcoff will likely command $5.5
    -It makes sense that the team has been treating Garon and his wife so well. Roloson won’t be traded and we’ll be banking on Garon re-signing. It seems Lowe’s plan is to keep them both this year, then had JDD or Dubnyk back up Garon in his extension years.
    -The team really is built to self-destruct at the end of Hemsky’s contract.
    -The Souray and Penner contracts really sucked.

56. Slipper says:

Yeah, that’s something to keep in mind, Jonathon. These type of contracts, although presumably a bargain on the ass end, create an urgency for this team to compete right freaking now.

And they still don’t have a reliable number one defenseman.

Staios has played those top minutes, but not well. On a descending contract, with a 2.7 cap hit, Staios is a decent 2nd pairing option. You need some out performance from the Smid, Green and/Roy contracts, and I can’t believe I actually just said that.

Now you have a Pitkanen deal looking more and more like a cash trade.

What the fuck DO Nilsson and Grebs get?

57. Slipper says:

Well, the good news is that we’re not as stupid as the Flames.

Observation: Gilbert and Grebeshkov were taking the hardest matchups…i.e. Iginla…at the end of the season.

Some recent signing of defensemen:

Dion Phaneuf 6 years, $6.5 million

Sami Salo 4 years, $3.5 million
    Tomas Kaberle 5 years, $4.25 million
    Eric Brewer 4 year, $4.25 million
    Chris Phillips 4 years, $3.5 million, no movement
    Paul Martin 3 years, $3.8 million

59. rickibear says:

Greene and Smid are 2M total for 2008/09. The next year they are due. But Chorney and Peckham will make a fine bottom pair in 2009/10. Staios rolls off when Chorneys entry level is done in 2010/11.

60. Jonathan says:

// Johnathan: If we get Grebs locked up @ 3M per long term. That is 15.1M cap hit for 48 min TOI per side. //

I guess that’s what it comes down to than. Are a top 4 of Souray, Staios, Gilbert, Grebeshkov going to be good enough over the next three years? My belief is that we’re mediocre at best on the back end because the improvement of Gilbert/Grebs is likely to be offset by injuries/decline in Souray/Staios.

61. DBO says:

You’ve got to think/hope that one of Stoll/Torres gets dealt fr pure financial flexibility. Although with Katz i wonder if lowe will be given the OK to send underpeforming guys to the miors regardless of salary to bury thm and thei cap hit (ala Lou in Jersey). Sheldon welcome to Springfield (in 2 years when the No move clause is gone).

62. Bruce says:

That guy Lidstrom isn’t a big hitter either though Bruce.

Funny thing, BD, I was going to mention Lidstrom and his 23 hits as evidence that you don’t have to be a hitter to be effective, but then I figured Slipper would be all over me for making comparisons between Gilbert and Lidstrom.

OTOH, nobody will confuse Lidstrom with Denis Potvin or Scott Stevens either, it all goes to show there are many different ways to get the job done. My primary concern is to have a balanced unit. If you have too many “soft” defencemen or too many slow ones or too many D who can’t score more than 17 fucking points (see: entire 2006-07 end-of-season defence), that’s what’ll kill you. It’s OK to have one or two guys whose idea of a good breakout pass involves using the glass, but you can’t have 6 of ‘em.

Lowe dealt with that latter problem by trading for Pitkanen and Grebeshkov, signing Souray and Tarnstrom, and promoting Gilbert. And decisions are still being made. Souray’s contract is here to stay and Gilbert is obviously in it for the long term. Tarnstrom’s already gone, leaving Pits and Grebs as the next order of business. One in, one out, I’m guessing; and hearing MacT’s rave reviews I’m betting on 37 being re-upped.

I mostly agree with Devin as to where he fits in the market, but like I pointed out above he’s got some pretty decent numbers to negotiate with. Short term (2 years) seems more likely, though I sure would jump at 4 years for $8 MM. He’s at least half as good as Gilbert. Hard to tell where this guy will top out, and maturing into a star or at least a top-pairing guy is not beyond the realm of possibility at this point. I was super impressed with this guy in 2008, as he went from time in the PB to sheltered minutes to, ahem, Gilbert’s partner.

63. PunjabiOil says:

Nilsson (2.75*). Grebeshkov – (3.50)

Not a chance they get that much. Nilsson doesn’t get any more than 2.0M, and Grebeshkov should be in the 1.5-1.75M range.

Under what basis does Grebeshkov earn more than Seabrook?

64. therealdeal says:

Like I said, he can be pure chaos.

Exactly, I can’t help but think of Aucoin or Sarich, and I’d much rather have Gilbert than either of those two.

65. Devin says:

I’m telling you, Dan Girardi deal. 2 years, 3.1M. Anything more for Grebs is unwarranted.

66. heed says:

tsn reports nilsson signed for $5.5M spread over three years.

67. Ribs says:

Another nice signing. Still cheap enough to keep him tradeable.

68. Tyler says:

If Lowe truly believes that by adding one offensive piece we are a contender…

I think the question is whether you believe that by adding one offensive piece, the Oilers are a contender. Personally, I think that anyone who thinks that has been huffing ether.

69. Bruce says:

Under what basis does Grebeshkov earn more than Seabrook?

Unless it’s long-term, Devin and PJO, and we just saw how expensive that can be. Otherwise there’s no explanation how Gilbert himself got more per annum than Seabrook. Stats are pretty comparable:

Gilbert 82 GP, 10-23-33, -6
    Seabrook 82 GP, 9-23-32, +13

… on pretty comparable teams, although Seabrook does benefit from an outstanding partner (Duncan Keith) which explains part of that nice plus. Seabrook is still 22 and a 3-year veteran, Gilbert a 25-year-old rook.

Difference obviously being the extra 3 years, Hawks are paying Seabrook $3.5 per for just 3 years which takes him right to but not beyond his UFA eligibility. Who knows what he’ll be worth by then though I’m betting more than Gilbert, who hopefully will look like a bit more of a bargain by that point.

Trouble with Grebs is a 5-year pro now. Not sure how that year in Russia factors in when considering UFA status (I’m guessing in 2 more years, somebody out there who knows for sure?), but any contract that takes him beyond that would involve an overpay as we have seen with Gilbert and a commensurate bump in cap hit.

Too true, Slipper, and I shudder to think of it as well. Smid would be the best candidate to outperform. Greene at $1.25 MM is “well-paid”, and while I prefer him to, say, Anders Eriksson ($1.5 MM as a 6th wheel in Calgary), he’s definitely a WYSIWYG. Smid has a little more dimension to his game and is a bit more likely become a “pleasant surprise” and mature into a higher level. Meanwhile Roy would outperform his $500 K if he simply made the club and held his own out there. But having suffered growing pains with 2 and 5 over the past two years this fan is in no particular hurry to repeat the experience with 36.

One thing’s for sure, as of now Gilbert is not an outperformer; let’s hope he measures up somewhere close to a $4 MM defender next season. As a fan I will treat him with the same patience I have granted Dustin Penner; in other words, don’t expect face value right away but absolutely expect improvement over the course of the contract. If Gilbert delivers at a “value” of 2-3-4-5-5-5 MM$ over those six years, that’s fine. Or 3-3-4-4-5-5 MM$, whatever. Regardless of the contract’s structure (any word on that?), it’s realistic to expect Gilbert’s growth to continue to follow an upward curve for several more years. But for a year or two we’re probably gritting our teeth about the cap hit which will be $4 MM throughout.

70. Bruce says:

tsn reports nilsson signed for $5.5M spread over three years.

Thanks for the heads-up Heed, it looks like a done deal. I missed the presser, did Lowe announce both signings?

I’m real happy about this second deal, I think there’s a real good chance that Nilsson will outperform those dollars, possibly as soon as right away. Of course we didn’t buy any UFA years, but we’ve got an exciting player to enjoy for the next three years, at a very reasonable price.

Of the games I attended live this year, I think Nilsson may have caused me to gasp audibly more often than any other player. The guy has unreal hands and a very fertile imagination, and his compete level improved throughout the season. Holding a team-leading +8 rating to the end while playing with Gagner and Cogliano down the stretch was no mean feat either.

Another Calgary native makes good in Edmonton. :)

71. Dennis says:

Hard to argue with the 12 deal; Lowe did a good job there all-around.

But we’ve yet to see the trickle down from the 77 deal.

And you won’t read it in the papers but the 27 and 44 pacts — relative to production — are gonna choke this club before too long.