Chorney Next Addition?

This is Taylor Chorney. According to the Edmonton Journal (today’s edition) the Oilers will likely try to sign him after this weekend’s Frozen Four. Chorney, who turns 21 later this month, is eligible to play one more season at North Dakota.
The Oilers have already signed a few players for next year, including U of A Golden Bear Harlan Anderson and Providence College’s Cody Wild.
We also got some nice quotes on college free agent signee Bryan Lerg in the paper. Kevin Prendergast was quoted as saying “He’s a smaller version of Fernando Pisani” and “He plays bigger than he is, he’s very smart. I believe he can play in the NHL.”

9 Responses to "Chorney Next Addition?"

1. Mr DeBakey says:

“…a smaller version of Fernando Pisani”

We already had that guy, wasn’t good enough. He’s playin’ for the Flyers now.

2. Steve says:

Before I realized you were talking about Thor, I took your comment to be referring to Lupul. I briefly thought you were an idiot, for which I apologize.

3. Mr DeBakey says:

I’m kinda choked up
    No one has ever used the word “briefly” in that sentence before.

4. Ribs says:

Is it safe to trust Kevin Lowe again? Or will the hyenas attack?

Ribs: Line of the year. Lordy.

6. doritogrande says:

Ribs: I may be drinking a little too heavily for a sick man, but you made my day.

7. speeds says:

Ribs:

I’m waiting to see what happens this summer before I jump on the bandwagon.

8. HBomb says:

Talking about Chorney coming in – judging by his four assist season, I wouldn’t be too comfortable if I was Ladislav Smid.

One of he or Greene is going to make way for a veteran defender at some point, and guys like Chorney and Petry are going to be pushing from below. Smid might have higher upside, but that also means he may fetch more in a trade and could be more costly salary-wise.

This summer may not be about high-profile free agent pursuit in Edmonton, but it’s still going to be very interesting nonetheless.

9. jon k says:

I don’t see how Chorney will be taking a spot on the D corps from Smid or anyone else next year. The transition from college to pro for Dmen almost always means a year in the A.

Even with almost a full year in the A Gilbert was arguably not ready last year and ended up getting seriously hurt. He also struggled at times this year but showed positive signs down the stretch.

I foresee a similar fate for Chorney. A year straight in the A, and then a year of being a tweener. It would be a good sign for his potential if he was ready at 23.

By that point there should be some openings on the D roster.