Desjardins NHLE Europe

#8 in the photo is Alexei Mikhnov. As a prospect, he reminds me of my children and their favorite question when on a long car ride: “Are we there yet?”

For Mikhnov one imagines the highway to the NHL is no longer blacktop but a loose gravel road that narrows every few miles.

Mikhnov finished second on his team in scoring this season (52gp, 14-20-34) behind Alexei Yashin (56gp, 16-27-43) who didn’t lose much offense going from the NHL to the RSL season over season.

Here are the 07-08 Desjardins’ NHLE’s for European Oilers prospects per 82gp with their league and age in brackets:

1. LW Alexei Mikhnov (RSL) (25) 18-27-45
  2. LW Linus Omark (SEL) (20) 13-24-37
  3. RW Alexander Bumagin (RSL) (20) 18-15-33
  4. RW Dragan Umicevic (SEL) (23) 16-12-28
  5. F Fredrik Pettersson (SEL) (20) 7-9-16
  6. D Jozef Hrabel (RSL) (22) 4-12-16
  7. C Mikael Zoukov (RSL) (22) 4-12-16

I included Umicevic and Pettersson on the list even though they are no longer Oiler property. Hrabel and Joukov are likely gone this summer too. If any of these guys play over 100 NHL games it would be a surprise and if one of them does it with the Oilers we should have a parade.

I hope someone calls Frank Musil to say hi now and then, although it might not be worth the price of the phonecall. Traktor Boy remains interesting if only because of his incredibly small TOI during his two NHL games (9:22, 4:21).

11 Responses to "Desjardins NHLE Europe"

1. doritogrande says:

Who are the last Oiler draft picks out of Russia and Sweden that have actually done anything of note in the NHL?

Why do we bother sending scouts there? Seems like a waste of resources if you ask me.

2. Jonathan says:

The correct question is why don’t we send more scouts, or more scouts with decent track records.

As for Frank Musil, we’ve done pretty well with his late-round, overage Euros (well, a hell of a lot better than we’ve done with any other category of late-round player), and given that he’s ostensibly the European professional scout, I’m fairly happy with him.

The guy I’m unhappy with is Kent Nilsson. The Oilers have spent some fairly significant draft choices on Scandanavia over Lowe’s tenure, and none of the amateur players there have worked out to date.

3. Oilman says:

Mikhnov’s equivalents are very Dustin Penner-like

4. honkey says:

Yes more scouts to Sweden, we can’t afford to miss out on the Swedes the coming years. We are looking really strong at least the next 5 years.

5. doritogrande says:

“As for Frank Musil, we’ve done pretty well with his late-round, overage Euros (well, a hell of a lot better than we’ve done with any other category of late-round player)”

Kyle Brodziak, Mathieu Roy and Liam Reddox may have something to say about that statement.

6. rickibear says:

Using Desjardins player progression curves Omark and Bumagin should experience a Growth of 25 to 30% over the next two years.
    18G x 1.25 = 23G
    (13G 37P) X 1.25 = (18g 47P)
    If we can get 3yr of 23G and 3yr of47P for 1M/YR.
    I will not complain.

7. Jonathan says:

Fair enough. Allow me to rephrase: We’ve done a hell of a lot better with late-round overage Euros than we have with any other kind of Euro player, including the early picks.

8. Vic Ferrari says:

I think you are pinning the blame (credit?) on the wrong guy, LT. That was Kent Nilsson who was the only Oiler scout to see Mihknov play before the draft. According to him at least.

Doubtless the Oilers were listening to Kent a bit closer because of the Zetterberg debacle the year before. Again Kent was the only Oiler scout to have seen him play, saw him very good, but couldn’t convince Oiler management to take a flier on him with even a third rounder.

To my mind, it is impossible to divorce the Zetterberg miss from the Mihknov selection.

9. Vic Ferrari says:

‘Mihknov’ should read ‘Mikhnov’

10. PDO says:

Zetterberg debacle….?

I have a feeling I am about to get very, very, sad.

But I have to ask anyway.

11. honkey says:

Zetterberg put up 3p in Swedish Tier II his draft year.
    Can’t really blame team that left him for dead until round 7.
    Also everything pre lockout was all about SIZE and as I remember “Zäta” was pretty small and thin at early age :)

If we then add that develompent of swedish junior players was a disaster from players born 1975->1984 I can see why no one was particulary in to Sweden scouting.

Sweden lacks deapth in those years which you see if you look at SEL rosters. Most teams have young players and some older mid-30 everything in between is mostly import from other European countries.
    But that’s about to change and that’s why Oilers need good scouting in Sweden the coming years.
    At least 3 players born 1991 has entered SEL this year, that hasn’t happened since the Forsberg-Näslund days 15 years ago.

Oilers can give me 70K a year and will travel around Europe and watch 300 crappy junior games all over the place :)