Shock and Awe: Toronto Won’t Get Burke

This is Punch Imlach. In his two books (both are stunning books, very interesting reads) he uses phrases like “when I won the Cup” which surely pissed off all the players who actually went out and did the actual job.

That’s Bert Olmstead to the left, who was the Oakland Seals first coach and GM. He was very grumpy most of the time in dual roles and didn’t last long.

Toronto has been alive with the sound of off-season bull durham already this season, with the top rumor being Brian Burke leaving Anaheim for Toronto.

So it is with some surprise we come upon a press release on the Ducks site:

The Ducks announced today that Executive Vice President/General Manager Brian Burke will remain with the team through at least the 2008-09 season, which is the last under his current four-year contract. Negotiations between the club and Burke on a contract extension will continue.

How could this be? For Anaheim to pull this kind of crap when Toronto wanted Brian Burke for their GM is ridiculous. Shameful. Sure he signed a contract, sure he did it in good faith but cripes all Friday Toronto media has been saying “Burke to Toronto” long enough that the Anaheim ownership group must have given up by now.

Right?

And so it goes. While all around Toronto spin like tops, the business of running winning teams moves forward in logical and reasonable steps.

Who knew?

12 Responses to "Shock and Awe: Toronto Won’t Get Burke"

1. James Mirtle says:

The comments on my site are hilarious so far.

It won’t take long before we know the next ‘star’ candidate.

2. Dennis says:

LT: I dislike the Leaves as much as the next guy but I’d like to see more hatred directed towards Les Scabitants, if you don’t mind;)

Count me among the duped but I thought Burke was a lock for TO. His vatican comments seemed to point towards his ego being intrigued and I think that’s what always wins out when it comes to the Giant Head.

And I can’t really get on Shoalts, Cox, Simmons, etc all, for begging in print for Burke to grace their presence. As Oilers fans we love MacT because he’s a great quote and Burke is nothing if not his equal and I’m sure these guys would love to have that in their wheelhouse on a daily basis

3. Oilman says:

I guess when it came right down to it, the Samueli’s have a contract with Burke – no matter how many times MLSE sniffs his ass.

Dennis: The Habs (I love your nickname for them but my daughter reads this blog so please don’t post it) rigged the 1967 expansion draft and then jobbed dummies in towns like Oakland for a half dozen seasons until the Flyers showed how it could be done.

I could post another “Pollock screwed hockey” if you wish, or maybe a “how come the Habs always get a PP whenever they need one” but the fact is that Montreal is just another team and has been for a generation.

5. Oilman says:

LT, I’m pretty sure calling the Habs “just another team” is about as scathing a comment as there is to their fans. Well done!

6. Angela says:

I think the real question is who do we cheer for now that the flames are out…?

7. CM says:

Yeah I guess I don’t have to cheer for the sharks as religiously now…

8. Shawn says:

I think the Ducks squashed this. That’s what it sounds like from what I’m hearing. Burke was willing to listen (vague comments) but Anaheim suddenly thought “hey we have a contract” and said forget that. Burke, being a stand up guy (and he IS one despite being obnoxious sometimes when dealing with Lowe issues) said OK I’ll honour my deal.

Hey Toronto… what about Armstrong!?

Shawn: What were Burke’s choices? He had a signed contract and Anaheim chose to have him stay. He did the only rational thing he could do which is to put the best face on things and play nice.

10. Doogie says:

Feh. Maybe it’s because I was born after the last great Habs dynasty, but it’s accurate. They’ve occasionally been a threat to win, but not recently, and haven’t been the same team worthy of hatred inspiring nicknames based on derogatory terms for female genitals for as long as I’ve been alive, unless you were particularly upset about Patrick Roy single-handedly beating the Flames in ’86. ;)

11. HBomb says:

Ironic – his team’s captain should be taking notes about “acting with integrity”.

Then again, if the last two years have proved anything, Chris Pronger doesn’t know the meaning of the word integrity.

12. Black Dog says:

I’m a Tottenham Spurs fan and today there is talk in the Star of MLSE sniffing around the Premier League – Richard Peddie talking about the excellent return on investment buying a team would bring.

And Spurs apparently might be a target.

My heart fell.