Tracers

• hockey player
  • prolific scorer
  • “Mr. Hockey”
  • He attended Rangers training camp, age 15.
  • career: 1946-1980
  • in 1977 became the first player to score 1000 career major-league goals
  • Detroit Red Wings NHL (1946-1971)
  • Houston Aeros WHA (1973-1977)
  • New England Whalers WHA (1977-78)
  • Hartford Whalers WHA (1978-79)
  • Hartford Whalers NHL (1979-80)
  • Won six NHL scoring titles (1951-1954, 1957, 1963)
  • Won the MVP (Hart Trphy) (1952, 1953, 1957, 1958, 1960, 1963)
  • Retired in 1980, at the age of 52, as the NHL leader in career goals scored with 801 combined.
  • Stanley Cup Champion (NHL) 1950, 1952, 1954, 1955.
  • Avco Cup Champion (WHA) 1974, 1975
  • While Gordie was playing for the Detroit Red Wings, they made it to the Stanley Cup finals in 1948, 1949, 1950, 1952, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1961, 1963, 1964 and 1966.
  • Gordie has been married to Colleen Joffa since April 15, 1953.
  • Colleen Howe was diagnosed with Pick’s disease, an incurable neurological disease that causes dementia, in 2002.
  • Greatest quote: “All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity.”

Happy birthday, Gordie Howe. Floral would be proud of you.

If it was still there. :-)

8 Responses to "Tracers"

1. Bruce says:

Holds the NHL record with 1767 regular season games played, and finished in the top 5 scorers an incredible 20 consecutive seasons.

One of Gordie’s proudest records is playing at the top level of his sport in 5 different decades, which I believe was unprecedented and remains unequalled in major North American team sports. Howe established this milestone in a game at Northlands Coliseum on January 2 1980.

Happy birthday, Gordie!

2. Black Dog says:

The stories about this guy.

Man, he was vicious.

Poor fellow, I read an article about Colleen not too long ago – very sad.

Happy Birthday to one of the all time greats, in any sport.

3. Mr DeBakey says:

Not so long ago I quoted Rusty Patenaude, from “Big Bucks and Blue Pucks”.

In the same paragraph that Patenuade called Bobby Hull “a classy guy – period”, he said “Playing in the all-star game with Howe and Hull was a big thrill, even though I hated Gordie in a lot of ways. He was just so damn dirty. He would hack you and slash you like he was swinging an axe.”

4. breakerdog says:

Quote from the Sun columnist JIM KERNAGHAN

” I asked Marty (Howe) about the bench-clearing brawl in which his dad came to his aid, an event that showed Gordie to be as creative an assassin as he was a playmaker and scorer.

“A guy was on top of me and wouldn’t let me up,” Marty related with a chuckle. “Gordie came along and told him it was over, to let me up. The guy says: ‘I ain’t doing nuthin’ and didn’t move. Gordie reached down and stuck a finger in each nostril and lifted the guy off. Geez, I swear the guy’s skates were barely touching the ice. One of Gordie’s fingers is like two of mine. That guy’s nose was probably never the same.”

5. Lord Bob says:

My preferred Gordie Howe WHA story goes roughly as follows (bear with me, I’m at work):

Gordie was with the Houston Aeros at the time, I believe, and he had recently signed an endorsement deal with a new stick company. Thus, Gordie was playing with one of these guys’ sticks, and he was dissatisfied with the stick’s performance.

Meanwhile, he was being followed around the ice by this pestering player whose name eludes me because I’m at work. Finally, in the third period, Gordie loses it, and at centre ice, he spears the bejeezus out of this guy right in the chest. He goes down like he’s been shot and the stick splinters.

Even Gordie Howe’s getting plenty of penalty time for that, but as he’s heading to the box he tosses the remains of his stick to the bench and says, “Get rid of the rest of these. These sticks aren’t worth shit.”

6. Ribs says:

Stan Weir made Gordie Howe mow his front lawn. With his teeth.

7. Jason says:

Floral is still there. My wife worked at the pig barn there for two years (thank god that job came to an end :)

8. Doogie says:

I still marvel at what players could do in the 50s and not even get whistled. I saw one slash on a Leaf in last night’s highlight reel that earned Matthias Ohlund a four-game suspension 55 years later. He was a right bastard on the ice, and it’s funny how everyone recalls one of his memorable “incidents” with reverence, like “Yeah, I got cheap-shotted by Gordie Howe. What a guy.” Of course, most of them had earned it, but that’s immaterial.

I guess sublime talent and the ability to pick your spots earns you a bit of leeway. ;)

They mentioned a story last night on Sportscentre, and I think it was about Gordie’s first WHA game, against the LA Sharks. Someone decided he was tough enough to go with Gordie Howe and immediately dropped his gloves at centre ice. Gordie decided he didn’t have time for that bullshit, smacked the guy on the head with his stick, and skated away.