Kevin Lowe had been on the job about 20 minutes when he traded for Eric Brewer (left). Brewer was typical of the Lowe acquisitons before the new CBA in that he had talent and would take some time to develop.
Since the new world order arrived Lowe has had the freedom to add parts at the draft and has done so from time to time. He has also continued to make deals to bring in youth when available each year. These deals have combined to send away Roman Hamrlik, Doug Weight, Chris Pronger, Jason Smith and others in exchange for players who are still developing.
The Oilers aren’t a feeder system like the old Kansas City A’s were (for the Yankees) but it’s also true that a lot of quality NHL veterans call other towns home after learning their trade in Edmonton.
Veterans, depth and balance. This team has skill, but they don’t have enough depth, lack balance and could use a couple of veterans in order to make them a quality option in the Northwest. It can be done: Colorado took a step backward in the coaching department, management and coach are at cross purposes in Vancouver, Calgary seems ready for a dip in quality and Minnesota never seems to get anywhere.
- June 24: Oilers trade D Roman Hamrlik to New York Islanders for D Eric Brewer, LW Josh Green and the draft pick that became Brad Winchester.
Draft 2001 Trades
- June 29: Oilers traded Sergei Zholtok to Minnesota for picks.
- July 1: Oilers trade Doug Weight and Michel Riesen to St. Louis for Jochen Hecht, Marty Reasoner and Jan Horacek.
Draft 2002 Trades
- June 18: Oilers acquire Jiri Dopita from Philadelphia for 3rd rd pick in 2003.
- June 22: Oilers trade their first pick in the NHL Entry draft (14th overall- Chris Higgins) to the Montreal Canadiens for the Habs’ first round pick (15th overall-Jesse Niinimaki) and a eighth-round selection (245th overall-Tomas Micka).
- June 22: Oilers trade C Jochen Hecht to Buffalo for 2nd round picks that become Jarret Stoll and Jeff Deslauriers.
- June 21: Oilers trade their 2003 first round draft pick (17th overall-Zach Parise) to New Jersey for the Devils’ first round (22nd overall-Marc Pouliot) and second round (68th overall-Jean Francois Jacques) selections.
Draft 2004 Trades
- June 22: Oilers trade Jason Chimera and the pick that turns into C Billy Ryan to Phoenix for the picks that turned into Geoff Paukovich and Liam Reddox.
Draft 2005 Trades
- August 1: Oilers trade Brad Isbister for the 2006 pick (I don’t know the player chosen with that pick).
- August 2: Oilers trade Eric Brewer, Doug Lynch and Jeff Woywitka to St. Louis for Chris Pronger.
- August 3: Oilers traded Mike York to the New York Islanders for Mike Peca.
Draft 2006 Trades
- July 3: Oilers trade Chris Pronger to Anaheim for Joffrey Lupul, Ladislav Smid and picks.
- July 10: Oilers acquire Jan Hejda from Buffalo for 2007 7th rd pick.
Draft 2007 Trades
- July 1: Oilers trade Joffrey Lupul and Jason Smith to Philadelphia for Joni Pitkanen and Geoff Sanderson along with a 2009 3rd rd pick.
The Oilers could easily send away one of the young defenders (Greene, Smid) and one of the young forwards (too many to list) and improve their chances of making the 2008-09 second season.
The trick is to have a balanced team when it is time for takeoff. I think Kevin Lowe can help Craig MacTavish a lot this summer, and adding a veteran defender and more experience up front will go a long way.
Did someone say three-for-one?