MacT on Gregor’s Show

The interview is here.

1. Interesting interview, sounds like the Oilers are going to try and make a deal to improve the club now and prune the forward group. Kevin Lowe had mentioned it before and this looks like a variation on the theme.
  2. “It’s up to him” in regard to Schremp and MacT detailed some of the issues that have held him back. Also mentioned he’s surprised at how much attention Schremp gets which made me giggle. MacT said he needs to get stronger and faster. These MacT quotes are beginning to resemble the Jani Rita comedy clips that the coach was famous for a few years ago. Sounds like Schremp’s a winger from here on out.
  3. Looks like Buchberger will be announced as a coach in the next week or so, although you have to put two and two together.
  4. Too many forwards and they’ll have to figure it out in TC (although a trade would also make decisions easier).
  5. Raved about Nilsson.
  6. Sounded very positive about Pitkanen, which I think is the best news in the entire interview.

18 Responses to "MacT on Gregor’s Show"

1. Jonathan says:

I like how MacTavish talks about defencemen that “you have to hide from tough matchups”- he says Huddy does a great job of it.

No surprise, but according to Desjardins, Matt Greene played far and away the easiest opposition, followed by Grebeshkov and Smid.

2. goldenchild says:

Agree with MacT, at this point the Schremp Army has reached comical proportions.

3. mc79hockey says:

…at this point the Schremp Army has reached comical proportions.

LT – might be a problem with your site. I assume that this is my comment from HF in about November of 2004 and for some reason it’s migrated here.

mc: It’s alright, everyone’s welcome here. :-)

5. Scott says:

LT: I didn’t hear the interview, anything about prospects not named Rob?

6. jon k says:

It’s pretty interesting to note the rise of Nilsson’s status in the eyes of the coaching staff and fans over the last year.

7. HBomb says:

If this Buchberger thing comes to fruition, it’s going to be borderline embarassing to be an Oiler fan.

Why not hire someone qualified with a skill-set that’s different than that of MacT, Huddy and Moores?

I’m not sayin’, I’m just sayin’….

8. Coach pb9617 says:

Schremp and Torres to Pittsburgh for picks. Or something. Just send Schremp away please.

9. misfit says:

Hbomb: What skillset are you referring to, exactly, when you’re comparing him to MacT, Huddy, and Moores as a coach?

10. namflashback says:

It’s pretty interesting to note the rise of Nilsson’s level of play in all the zones of the ice after the recall from Springfield.

Then its not hard to see why the coach and fans changed their view.

I believe it was Dennis who noted early on, that even with occasional bouts of defensive laziness, Nillson was getting/creating 2-3 grade a chances per game. Once he started to put in the defensive try, he looks that much better cause he maintained the offensive chance getting.

Note that Brodziak was very much the same (not the defensive lapses) in that he gets a couple of really good chances per game. And that was before Glencross arrived.

11. IceDragoon says:

Good day.

LOL
    You beat me to it this time, Lain.

It’s too bad that Bob Stauffer doesn’t archive his interviews. He needs to listen to them again himself to keep from twisting the truth to fit his view.

He had Ken Hitchcock on yesterday and when Robin Brownlee asked him about MacTavish. Hitch couldn’t stop gushing about how much he learned working with MacT and went on about his patience and exceptional teaching techniques. He even suggested that MacTavish would be a great choice to coach the 2010 Olympics.

I like Hitch a lot. The man is really smart and a career coach with no aspirations of being a GM. iow – He can’t bull****. If he doesn’t have something nice to say, he’ll be diplomatic, but not say much of anything.

Today Stauffer pulled the, “Well of course Hitch wouldn’t throw MacT under the bus. What did you expect?” crap.

Lose the agenda, Bobbie.

L8r
    Louise

12. Bruce says:

I like Hitch too, always have. I heard his interview on Stauffer’s show in advance of the Worlds, and he was gushing about MacT then too, talked about how much he had enjoyed exchanging ideas with him in advance of the tournament, and how well motivated and prepared the Oilers were, esp. for such a young team. My impression has always been he’s an honset guy, speaks his mind, casts a good light on things but doesn’t make shit up. He certainly seemed sincere in his praise of MacT and KLowe, and backed it up with comments that seemed right on the nail.

13. Dennis says:

One thing that keeps being brought up by MacT re:25 is the whole risk and reward idea. The man’s behind the bench and not on my couch but the main thing I saw from Pitkanen that I didn’t like was that he was soft in down-low coverage. But I didn’t see him making many terrible passes up the middle when the club was holding a one goal lead OR getting caught up ice an awful lot. But if I was a fan that didn’t watch all the games, that’s what I would take from MacT’s comments.

On Schremp: just seems to be a tough love approach and nothing more. For as long as I’ve been able to see most of the games, Hemsky’s the only guy who’s been allowed to play that hasn’t made conditioning a priority. Everyone knows Schremp needs to get stronger and improve his skating so what’s wrong with MacT saying it? It doesn’t sound like a damnation to me; in fact when he throws out a Nilsson comparison, it almost sounds a little like encouragement.

14. IceDragoon says:

Just listened to Gregor’s replay and MacT sounded tired. He seemed especially tired of REanswering the Schremp question. It was a stupid question, really. What could possibly be new about Corporal America’s hockey abilities since MacT’s season closer?

15. Jonathan says:

I’d guess that Hitchcock likes a lot of things about the Oilers organization- he was hired prior to Howson and it’s safe to assume he had some say in who the GM was going to be- one almost gets the impression from Gare Joyce’s book that he almost had the most say. Plus, working closely with Howson he’d probably have an even better idea now about the Oil.

16. IceDragoon says:

Sorry, Bruce.

I was doing some work and left this page open after my comment at 9:41. I didn’t refresh before posting my ‘Schremp question’ impression, and then I had to leave.

I didn’t like him in Dallas, tho I gave him grudging respect. Once he was a lesser threat to our beloved Oilers my feelings for him changed.
    funny that ;-D

Hitchcock is delightfully candid. Manna from heaven to the intelligent fan who finds little worth gleaning from the ‘spin’ directed at the fanbase.

I may be revealing my dark side, but I like Tortorella, too.
    ;-)

I must have missed that interview, Bruce. I do recall the one right after MacTavish was named, tho. Hitch was asked ~”Why MacT…?”, and he responded with, ~”His ability to coach the transition game…”. There wasn’t any gushing in that interview, tho. I read it as… he didn’t have enough info to give an informed opinion yet.

btw – Did anyone else notice that MacT was trying to hide Jovanovski, especially in the last two games?

Things that make you go, “hmmm…”.

L8r

17. Bruce says:

Louise: I even liked Hitch in Dallas. Hated the Stars, but admired Hitchcock’s candour and deep knowledge and love of the game. I could listen to that guy talk about hockey all night long.

The earlier interview with Hitchcock that I referred to occurred a couple weeks before the worlds, with the team mostly named and the coaches already hard on the job. I wrote a note about it at the time, probably on this blog, that Hitchcock had said some kind things about Gagner and Cogliano, both of whom were being touted by Stauffer (Gagner was named as a reserve a little later). Then with little urging Hitch said a bunch of positive stuff about working with MacT which Stauffer had to swallow whole — that was great! — and he tacked on some more words of praise for the Oilers organization as a whole. Certainly he knew who the audience was, but he wasn’t talking out of his ass either.

Yes, I did notice that. In the end there weren’t quite enough hiding spots, as Jovo wasn’t the only D who struggled.

18. HBomb says:

Christ almighty, Matheson trying to argue the virtures of the Oilers dealing Pitkanen for forward help (Erik Cole) based on the justificaton that they have Souray around (in yesterday’s Journal).

First off, betting on Souray for anything resembling a healthy season is like betting on Ethan Moreau. Second of all, Pitkanen’s flat out better than Souray by quite a bit, so thinking Souray can fill a top-pairing role is basically a team saying “hey, we WANT to miss the playoffs”.