Wade Redden is going to be a free agent this summer. The Oilers have apparently tried to deal for him a time or two and since he’s from around here there’s probably going to be some speculation about him in an Oilers uniform.
Redden is likely to make less than his previous ($6.5M) contract as he appears to have levelled off as an NHL player over the last 24 months.
Here’s the Oilers current depth chart (based on salary) and their contract situation:
- Sheldon Souray (31) 6.25M, 5.5M, 4.5M, 4.5M UFA 2012
- Tom Gilbert (24) 3.5M, 3.5M, 5.5M, 5M, 3.5M, 3M UFA 2014
- Joni Pitkanen (24) RFA 2008
- Steve Staios (34) 2.9M, 2.8M, 2.2M, UFA 2011
- Denis Grebeshkov (24) 1.5M, RFA 2009
- Matt Greene (24) 1.25M RFA 2009
- Ladislav Smid (21) .952M, RFA 2009
If the Oilers brought in Redden it would almost certainly mean Joni Pitkanen would be heading out of town. Possibly for picks or an inexpensive scoring winger and picks. Is that a trade that makes Edmonton better?