This is Anson Carter. He had a small part in the Oilers 07-08 season, beginning September 16 when he signed a tryout contract and ending October 1st when he was released with only a headache to show for two weeks work. He would sign HC Lugano (Swiss League) on November 5, 2007 and went 15gp, 3-5-8 for them.
I always like to look back at training camp to see who got voted off the island first and which players may have made the greatest impact during the season.
As an example, a player sent down on the first day of cuts (September 16) who eventually played in the show during the year would have to improve markedly during the year. Also, a player coming out of junior or college or attending their first pro training camp who played in the NHL during the year would have accomplished something rather amazing.
So with that said, here are the dates of assignment and players who made it back to the show are in bold:
- September 16: Oilers assign G’s Brian Pitton, Glenn Fisher, D’s Theo Peckham, Rick Berry, TJ Reynolds, Allan Rourke, F’s Stephane Goulet, Colin McDonald, Jacob Micflikier, Geoff Paukovich, David Rohlfs, Milan Kytnar, William Quist, Vitaly Karamnov. Notes: Rourke had a nice run in the show and certainly came in handy, but the player of interest here imo is Peckham who had a helluva year to even get a cup of coffee.
- September 17: Send out Ryan Flinn.
- September 24: Send out Adam Huxley and TJ Kemp.
- September 26: Send out D’s Sebastien Bisaillon, Danny Syvret, Bryan Young and F’s Troy Bodie, Fredrik Johansson, Ryan O’Marra, Liam Reddox, Rob Schremp, Slava Trukhno. Notes: Looking back, this might appear to be a little early for Schremp to be sent out (they were at 35 after these cuts) but his injury probably set in stone that he was on the way to the Falcons. Reddox getting a callup is a reflection of a huge step forward season over season and Bryan Young is one of those stay-at-home defensemen who keep getting recalled because they are safe options. He’s the new Tom Reid. Bisaillon is a guy who probably would have gotten the call if not for injury and I think he’s the top “sleeper” prospect no one ever mentions among the Oiler group of kids.
- September 27: Oilers assign G Devan Dubnyk, F’s Tim Sestito, Jonas Almtorp and Ben Simon to the minors.
- September 29: Oilers send out Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers.
- October 1: Oilers release Anson Carter.
- October 1: Oilers place Patrick Thoresen on waivers. Note: He clears and is sent to Springfield.
- October 1: Oilers sign Sam Gagner. This is a terrific accomplishment. Kid arrives in camp, turns heads and makes the team. Out of junior. At age 18. Three months after the draft.
- October 3: Oilers make their final cuts to get down to 23 players. D’s Ladislav Smid, Mathieu Roy and Alex Plante, F’s Zack Stortini, Patrick Thoresen and Tyler Spurgeon are sent away. Plante and Spurgeon survived until now because of injury, Smid and Roy would be up and Stortini had his final disappointment before winning an NHL job for what looks like it’ll be some time. All of the cuts who weren’t injured ended up playing in the NHL in 07-08.
- October 3: This meant C Andrew Cogliano made the club straight out of college. Although not on the same level as the leap made by Sam Gagner, it doesn’t happen every season with these Edmonton Oilers.