Z

In the 2000 Hockey News’ Draft Issue they rated Henrik Zetterberg (then 19) as a “4th liner” and said “Small pivot has nice goal scoring touch but he’s still several years away.” He was listed as 5-10, 180.

He was the SEL rookie of the year in 00-01, and the following season made the Swedish Olympic team that played in SLC. By that time it was obvious he wasn’t going to hang around the SEL long, as indicated by a February 2002 Hockey’s Future article that stated “Zetterberg is currently playing his 2nd season in the Swedish Elitserien, and most likely his last in 10 years or so.”

By the looks of things the author may well have cheated Zetterberg out of a decade of NHL play. Henrik Zetterberg has been a quality NHL player for some time, but as Glenn Healy gushes about Johan Franzen tonight I’m getting the feeling that #40 is finding a new level that only a very few have been able to achieve.

You don’t need a Desjardins number to tell which way the wind blows.

18 Responses to "Z"

1. Ribs says:

Well, I’m sure glad I took “Z” in the pool this round. Datsyuk is looking tempting for next round as well…

Why does everything always have to be so damn easy for Detroit?
    They have frickin Osgood in net and they’re cruising to the conference final! Again! What the hell!

I guess I’ll just blame it on their weak divisional opponents and playoff matchups and go cry in a corner somewhere.

2. Dennis says:

Healy tells so many lies and talks about such bullshit, the other night I watched two periods of the SJ game on mute.

I picked Franzen in my playoff pool, BTW:)

3. Ribs says:

You mean Playoff Jesus? Nice.

4. Slipper says:

Did anyone hear that shit during the broadcast about the Wings taking a flyer on Franzen in the draft without anyone in their organization having a look at him?

97th overall. Another late round miracle pick.

Not mention that the Wings top line were drafted 171st(Datysuk), 210th(Zetterberg) and 257th(Holmstrom).

I think Dan Cleary is the highest drafted forward on that team. I think 7 or 8 of their top nine forwards were drafted in the fourth round or later.

5. HBomb says:

Detroit/Dallas is going to be an awesome series.

And the list of forwards I’d take over Zetterberg right now goes something like this:

Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin.

He’s ahead of Lecavalier, Iginla, Gaborik, Kovalchuk, Thornton and everyone else right now, at least in my books.

6. Dennis says:

Ribs: Yeah, we had a draft where you can’t take the same players and match-up’s make all the difference so you can draw up your brackets beforehand but you need a good draw in the draft order too; we did a snake draft and I got 4th out of 11 and I took Malkin with my first pick.

Anyway, Franzen was on fire down the stretch so I rolled the dice on him.

On the other hand, Babcock is fucking me with Cleary. He’s playing him with Draper and Drake which was an OK play in ’06 when Cleary couldn’t point and he was playing with Maltby and Draper. I took Dan in the 6th round because I figured he’d notch two points in every three games.

On the good side of the ledger, I also took Dubinsky. He’s about to get knocked out now but I think he’s done enough to help me hold off some of the upstarts:)

7. PDO says:

Best player in the league.

Lidstrom is probably 3rd, and Datsyuk could very well be fifth.

Luongo and Crosby fill in the other spots.

And that’s why it’s so damn easy for Detroit.

8. dawgbone says:

No Ovy PDO?

9. Baroque says:

Only issue is his back problems, but he’s turned out pretty well for Detroit. I joked once that Ken Holland should write a book entitled “How to Build a Winning Team with no First Round Draft Picks.” :)

10. Baroque says:

And I don’t know how your hockey pool works, not partaking of such entertainment myself, but Datsyuk gives Marty Turco nightmares, so if Dallas hangs on…

11. mike w says:

Dallas is boring the crap out of me.

Or is that San Jose? Either way, terrible series to watch.

12. rickibear says:

Detroits niche drafting was not hard to follow:

Identify Swedish junior players whom were transitioning between J20superelit and the elisterien.

The own teams have identified there best junior players when they are in this situation and you trust there judgement more than a one visit scout.

This also works for the RSL.

Look for the ones whom dropped in the draft and throw low round picks at them. (the dart principle)
    throw 50 darts one is going to hit the triple 20.

Problem for Detroit is other teams are following this principle. So the the odds of them getting a Zetterburg are divided by the number teams starting to do the same.

Do you think Edmonton would have taken an Omark in the past.

13. CrazyCoach says:

Ken Holland is a genius, and I’m glad to see people on here giving him some credit for the organization he’s built. He just hires excellent people and drafts good hockey players.

Ken Holland should write a book about his genius. I’d sure trust it more than that Moneyball book bloggers constantly cream their jeans over.

14. Marchantfan says:

CC: I don’t think you understand what Moneyball is about. If you did, you wouldn’t dismiss it so off-handedly. Holland has done a great job with an unbelievable payroll. Beane did an unbelievable job with no payroll.

15. James Mirtle says:

Zetterberg impresses me, too, because he’s just 27 and already the sort of complete superstar you see guys a few years older become. He could win the Richard, Ross, Hart, Selke, Byng and Smythe all in the same year.

As it stands, he finishes top five in almost of them this season (top six for the Ross).

16. PDO says:

DB,

Off hand, I’d probably round out the top 10 with Ovy, Pronger, Zubov, Iginla and Thornton. Not sure on the order. Lundqvist could easily fit in there as well….

AO made huge strides in his own end of the rink this year.

17. Dennis says:

If Jeremy Giambi wasn’t so hesitant to slide, would Beane still take so much heat? And, c’mon now, this is MLB where not over 50% of the teams make the playoffs and he was trying to make the playoffs in a league where there’s no cap and the difference between the floor and the ceiling is more than 19 mill.

Anyone who slams Beane doesn’t have a clue.

18. sexy says:

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,A片,A片,A片,A片,A片,A片,情趣用品,A片,情趣用品,A片,情趣用品,a片,情趣用品

A片,A片,AV女優,色情,成人,做愛,情色,AIO,視訊聊天室,SEX,聊天室,自拍,AV,情色,成人,情色,aio,sex,成人,情色

免費A片,美女視訊,情色交友,免費AV,色情網站,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人影片,成人網站,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,情色網,日本A片,免費A片下載,性愛

色情A片,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,情色電影,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色視訊,免費成人影片,視訊交友,視訊聊天,言情小說,愛情小說,AV片,A漫,avdvd,情色論壇,視訊美女,AV成人網,情色文學,成人交友,成人電影,成人貼圖,成人小說,成人文章,成人圖片區,成人遊戲,愛情公寓,情色貼圖,成人論壇

av女優,av,av片,aio交友愛情館,ut聊天室,聊天室,豆豆聊天室,色情聊天室,尋夢園聊天室,080聊天室,視訊聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,上班族聊天室,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,一夜情聊天室,情色聊天室,情色視訊

視訊聊天室,聊天室,視訊,,情色視訊,視訊交友,視訊交友90739,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,視訊聊天,UT聊天室,聊天室,美女視訊,視訊交友網,豆豆聊天室,A片,尋夢園聊天室,色情聊天室,聊天室尋夢園,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,一夜情聊天室,情色聊天室,080中部人聊天室,080聊天室,美女交友,辣妹視訊