2003 Draft Evaluation

This is Marc Pouliot when he was a Hamilton Bulldog. He looks a little like Reggie Houle (except Houle shot left) in the photo and he was supposed to be a solid two-way player with plus skills just like Houle.

Pouliot is the poster boy for the Oilers subpar 2003 draft. Guy Flaming looks at the Edmonton picks one by one and draws some interesting conclusions.

My own feeling is that in the case of both Pouliot and Jacques there’s still enough there to keep them around for another year. I also think Josef Hrabel is a player worth watching. Kyle Brodziak and Zach Stortini appear to have a future in specific roles at the NHL level.

Having said that, it’s also safe to say the organization lost ground to pretty much every team in the league at the draft table in 2003. Injuries, attraction to Coke Machines and bad luck make this draft a sore spot 5 years on.

9 Responses to "2003 Draft Evaluation"

1. doritogrande says:

Don’t forget about the Rangers. They’re the only team to have pulled a complete clusterfuck in the first round.

It’s nice to know there’s always someone worse off than you.

2. Dennis says:

Reading that comparison brings me back to why you like to hate on the Leaves and how you let the Habs off the hook all the time.

The aforementioned Houle was driving a bloody beertruck before being awarded the Habs GM job.

C’mon, LT!!!

3. Bohologo says:

I don’t think it’s fair to judge a draft performance until at least five years after the draft itself.

It’s fair to say Lowe bungled this draft; unlike the Niinimaki whiff, the amount of talent still left on the board in 2003 suggests an even higher opportunity cost to the decision to trade down. Poor management.

4. Doogie says:

The Ronald Corey era was a bitch.

5. Iffy says:

Someone needs to explain the Coke Machine reference to me. I’ve been waiting for the right time to ask this dumb question. Hopefully this is it.

Dennis: Reggie Houle was an outstanding hockey player. His performance as GM is well known but the guy could do things to help his team win hockey games at both ends of the rink. I hated the Habs then, they always got a break and beat my team (the Bruins) like a freaking drum. The Oilers win over Montreal in the early 80s remains on of my fondest memories.

iffy: “Coke Machines” are the players drafted by Edmonton from 2000 through 2004 who:

1. were huge
    2. selected about 35 slots before the scouting guides suggested
    3. went flat before they made the show.

Names might include Alexei Mikhnov, Eddie Caron, Brock Radunske, Geoff Paukovich, Colin McDonald, JF Jacques. There were about 10 of them iirc.

They were looking for Dustin Penner but never found him at the draft.

7. goldenchild says:

I can’t help but think if MAP doesn’t get Mono before the 05 run we look back at that draft a little differently. Not that he was ever going to be a homerun like Getzlaf or Parise but maybe double down the first base line. I still think he gets on base.

8. Dennis says:

I guess I’m the first one to make the “New Coke” Machine joke when it comes to the gamble they took on Penner???;)

9. uni says:

Hahaha,I guess that would only work if going back to Classic “Coke Machine” will be welcomed by the masses.