A Few Things

• I’ve just finished barbequing pork chops (Grandma D’s Sauce, mmmmmmm) and am waiting for my wife to call me upstairs when the potatoes are done (we’re having green beans too, MAN I love them).
  • I’ve had a fun day, even spent some time at the golf course (registered my kids for lessons, maybe now I won’t have to replace the fireplace glass from an errant shot this winter).
  • Channel 121 is showing the 1977 Habs winning another Stanley. Sweet Jesus they were a good hockey club.
  • Daniel Cleary might win his Stanley tonight. A great story is there about a good man who has seen some things in his life and overcome some obstacles. Really, that’s the best thing about sports.
  • I have been getting into baseball a little more lately. The Blue Jays seem to have some arms, the BoSox look like a sleeping giant about to beat tar out of someone. I’m a little concerned about my favorite ballplayer Vladdy Guerrero. Is he hurt? Why does he wear his hair like he’s a member of Sly and the Family Stone now? And how come Andruw Jones is in LA? Did he miss a flight? Love that Beantown pitcher who won a WS game and has also beaten cancer and thrown a no-no. Lefty pitchers in Boston uniforms always remind me of Bill Lee. Did you know Joe Hesketh pitched for Boston? Had a real nice season in there somewhere.
  • Is there a better hockey name than Mahovlich? Did you know Punch Imlach used to pronounce is “Mah-hal-o-vich” when the Big M played for him? It isn’t nice to speak ill of the dead, but what an ass.

13 Responses to "A Few Things"

1. RiversQ says:

I saw ManRam hit his 501st in Camden Yards yesterday. I was cheering for the Orioles, but it was still fun to watch.

I’m finally looking forward to the Oilers this year. First time since the 44 and 27 trades.

2. Art Vandelay says:

Remember when Big M scored his 500th goal on HNIC and the P.A. announcer at the Forum referred to him as “Francois Mahovlich.”

3. Black Dog says:

Good stuff LT and a great game tonight. When I saw Talbot come on the ice for Fleury I wondered what the hell Therrien was thinking. Turns out there’s a hunch that paid.

Andruw Jones – injuries? The good life? I didn’t even know he was in LA and his numbers are awful.

As for the Jays, they have a whack of good young arms. If they would only hit. Even Burnett is pitching well, the weirdo.

4. knighttown says:

Have you tuned into the Jay Bruce show in the ‘Nati? Most hyped prospect in years gets called up and goes 13 for his first 22, with 2HR, 2SB, 10 Runs and 6 RBI. If he gets your proverbial 600AB’s he’ll hit .600 with 60 HR/SB and 270 runs scored.

Hoping Chorney can have a similar start.

That guy should retire. Now.

6. Steve says:

Channel 121 is showing the 1977 Habs winning another Stanley.

Exactly how many of them did the 1977 Habs win, anyway?

7. GSC says:

Guy Lafleur

Eddie Shore

Tim Horton

Zinetula Bilyaletdinov

Gord Mark

9. Dennis says:

I’ve begun half-heartedly following the Rays because they’re young and cheap like the Expos used to be and of course one of my all-time favs is with them, Cliff Floyd.

It’s still not the same though. Once upon a team, and especially once you had net access, you could follow a prospect’s boxscores right from the time he started in Single A. There’s never a bigger time waster in terms of sports-following then baseball and that’s why it’s made for the summer.

And I see guys like Sizemore, Phillips, Lee, Bradley and Vazquez and it honestly hurts. I don’t pay much attention to Vladdy anymore; I’m not saying I quit on him but he’s carrying around too much weight and the years on the Owe’s cement just killed him.

And I’m also with Riv that I’m jacked for the ’09 season. If the Oil bring back 14-16, they could team with 34 and the HorPenSky trio to give us a legit tough top six min and that would allow the kids to have more fun. We just need to find a vet D on the somewhat cheap.

10. Bruce says:

11. Mike says:

Tony Hrkac
    Kerri Tacco
    Jiri Slegr

12. Doogie says:

Jiri Slegr

Don’t forget his dad, Jiri Bubla.

13. Julian says:

Bob Corkum

Bob Beers

C’mon, those are stereotypical jock names.