Day One at the Draft

The Edmonton Oilers enter day one of the Entry Draft with only one selection in the top 100. For a team with two bona fide NHLers in the last three drafts (Gagner and Cogliano) and at least four who look like the real deal (Nash, Petry, Peckham and Chorney) from the same crop perhaps there is no pressing need for additional picks.

Kevin Lowe is in both dailies and on the radio today saying that there have been about two dozen specific trade discussions and they may add one of two more picks.

History tells us that Lowe will do something today or tomorrow, even if it’s only a swap of picks. I think there’s a chance they deal Jarret Stoll today but there hasn’t been any specific talk I’ve read about in the last couple of days.

Lowe did speculate that Pitkanen would be here in the fall and that’s fine by me.

As for who they take at #22, I’m sticking with player in photo (Colby Robak) because the guy they really want (Eberle) will be gone by the time they reach the podium.

We’ve read enough from management in the last couple of days that it’s probably fair to go ahead and say that day 2 of the draft will be back to the Coke Machines. If they do end up adding a second round pick today that’ll probably be for a Coke Machine too.

The Oilers dealt Jason Chimera to move up and grab Geoff Paukovich a few years back, so it’s possible Jarret Stoll could be dealt for a second (and maybe another, later pick) or they may have found a home for JF Jacques or Marc Pouliot.

Either way, the draft is always fun. Things I’ll be watching closely include the Leafs trading their first round pick, Brian Burke thanking Kevin Lowe for Kyle Beach and the annual “wtf?” top 5 selection that has recently involved Blake Wheeler and Tom Hickey. My guess this season? Joshua Bailey.

Here are my predictions for the Oilers picks today:

• 22nd: Colby Robak (unless Eberle is still there)
  • Added 2nd: AJ Jenks

I’ll be updating all day and if the Oilers make a deal it’ll be here. I also suggest NOTHING TO SEE HERE (click on right), Mirtle and Team 1260′s coverage starts today at 3PM.

Two final notes: we should probably prepare for the possibility EDM chooses a goalie. Bad asset management in a deep skill draft imo but Brownlee mentioned it as did Guy and they are connected.

Also, watch Toronto. Something tells me they are going to do something real and spectacular. They may end up moving down in the first round and it could be a blockbuster. No inside info (obviously), but the moment is right: Fletcher’s a riverboat gambler, they’d love to upstage Ottawa and freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose.

323 Responses to "Day One at the Draft"

Newer Comments »
  1. Mark-Ryan says:

I hate to agree with you, LT, but I don’t think Eberle makes it past New Jersey at 21. As much as he seems like an Oiler, he seems like a New Jersey Devil.

2. Oilman says:

If the Oilers are looking 5 years down the road and see Delubnyais holding a pretty good team back ala Conkanen, maybe trying to get a stud goalie isn’t such a bad idea – but then, less than half of the leagues starters are first rounders, so they’d better like the guy alot…and it’s a tough choice between Picard and Markstrom. Of course, if they could get an early 2nd rounder, one of the top three goalie prospects should still be available. I think you could make a pretty strong case that Stoll would be happy in LA:o)

3. Oilman says:

….but I still think it’s Gustafson:o)

4. Oilman says:

Chris Mason to the Blues for a 4th rounder – does that mean Roli would fetch a 5th or 6th?

5. HBomb says:

If it’s that tight and Eberle’s there at 19 (the Columbus pick), maybe Schremp plus the 22nd gets the Oilers up three spots and lands them the guy they want?

You never know….personally, considering Schremp has no future as an Oiler, I’d be quite supportive of a bold move to get the guy they wanted. It pays to be “controlled agressive” in these situations. In 2003, they apparently traded back thinking Getzlaf would still be there at 22nd and, as they say, the rest is history….being conservative doesn’t pay.

6. Big T says:

GEORDIE WUDRICK
    Pos: LW
    Shoots: L
    Height: 6’3″
    Weight: 204 lbs.
    ISS: 40
    RLR: 48

7. Coach pb9617 says:

I agree, but if this happens, I hope the suicide hotlines in Edmonton are double-staffed.

8. Big T says:

Whoops,

What I meant to say following that cut and paste is that RLR and ISS are higher on Wudrick than Jenks by a fairly wide margin. If the Oil feel they need another coke machine I’d prefer they went with the opinions of RLR.

T

9. Alice says:

That sounds like trading Rob Schremp and a pick for…. Rob Schremp. He needs to find a spot on the roster in the fall – an injury will turn something up – then he might be worth something at the deadline. Eberle’s just not that much above the rest in the 15-30 peer group, imo.

10. doritogrande says:

Sportsnet’s reporting Jeff Carter is off the market. Signed a 3-year extension worth 5-Mil per season.

11. Coach pb9617 says:

Which puts Philly at the cap with 4 guys to sign…

I like what St. Louis did today, Nashville too. Roloson being dealt was a pipedream imo (I’m writing this so the Hockey Gods will spite me).

:-)

13. Mark-Ryan says:

hbomb: I’d think that maybe a Schremp+22nd pick could get us up a few picks as well as a second or third. Schremp still is a first-round prospect, and I’d be pretty choked if all we could for him is 3 draft positions in the bottom 15 of the round.

alice: It all depends on how much the Oilers like Eberle and how much they want him. I like him a lot and I think the Oilers do too. Though if I thought a guy like Tedenby was available in the same slot, I might be fine with Jersey taking him.

I don’t like the idea of taking a goaltender or defenceman. 12-40 is wide-open this year, and I think that if it was ever a smart idea to draft by need, it would be this year.

mark ryan: The Oilers DO draft for need, which is the only reason a goalie is in play.

15. Mark-Ryan says:

Didn’t Prendergast poo-poo the idea of drafting a goaltender, citing Dubnyk and Delauriers as “blue chip” prospects?

I don’t agree with that, but it’s not what I think that counts. Although I do think that a goal scoring forward is the greater need.

16. doritogrande says:

And Nashville has their goalie. Traded Mason, and signed Ellis to a Garon-like extension. I love watching Nashville handle their players. It’s a crying shame they don’t have a committed owner/fanbase/arena/city/state/country to play in.

Jim Balsillie, please bring this team to a respectable location. I’d support them!

17. goldenchild says:

,Good teams draft bpa and trade for need. The kid at 22 is years away and by that time the Oilers 24-year old Dmen will all be UFA age.

It seems like such simple idea, the Plante pick last year seemed to be forced to get a big Dman in the ranks then a couple of months later we got the ” I looked around and thought man we got a lot of D” quote. There was a lot of talk about not drafting Parise because he was a smallish center and they already had marchant and Comrie on the roster, as it turns out NHL rosters aren’t fixed and Neither of those guys were around very long after that draft.

goldenchild: Each of your examples is spot on. If the Oilers pass on a D in the first round this season and say “we have all these 24-year olds in the NHL and a bunch of terrific prospects” it misses the overall point: assets.

Even right now, they need some sandpaper up front. Fine. Don’t DRAFT sandpaper, by the time this guy is ready the roster will be completely different.

Drafting for need is a bad idea, especially in round one.

19. Alice says:

LT, sounds like MacGregor is on the same page as far as the next-best-asset:

“If you have to do your work at the table, you’re making too many emotional decisions. At that point you just keep scratching names off and the next one there is your guy.”

20. Knamely Lacked says:

So if the Oilers do end up with a second round pick—which I think is quite possible— would Jared Staal qualify as a Coke machine?

I know he is apparently not near as highly sought after as his brothers, but the Oilers usually gamble on these type of players (big), and genetically it would be a pretty good gamble no? But again he might not even be on the board.

Gustafsson could possibly still be there in the early second round and may be a decent pick-up.

I still want Tedenby if he’s available in the first.

I love this day.

21. Sean says:

Drafting for need is a bad idea, especially in round one.

100% agreed. Trade for need. Draft BPA.

22. Bruce says:

DG: No shit. The situation in goal is something else; they signed Vokoun to a four-year, $22.8 MM extension that was to kick in in 2007, then after a year in which he suffered a serious illness, traded him for three good picks (including #9 overall tonight)before paying him a dime of it. Instead they paid Mason — who had filled in more than adequately in Vokoun’s absence — about half the money to be the nominal #1. Then last summer they picked up Ellis off the scrap heap as a free agent and all he did was lead the league in Sv% and post a huge shutout streak down the stretch as the Preds scrapped and scraped their way into the playoffs.

So now they’ve unloaded Mason, the guy originally tabbed to replace Vokoun, dumped his salary and acquired yet another pick (not much of one, but this deal was all about cap management). Somehow they got Ellis to agree on a very reasonable contract, and assuming Rinne sticks as a backup, their goaltending will cost them only around $2 MM in 2008-09.

All of which puts them in good position to deal with their RFAs on defence. Suter also signed this week, and Weber will be next.

No shit.

23. Black Dog says:

And the Leafs trade a third round pick, nicely picked up for Chad Kilger, for a 33 year old grinder, Jamal Mayers.

Wow, what a bunch of dummies. Maybe the Oilers could trade the rights to Reasoner for that 7th overall pick.

Draft schmaft.

24. Dennis says:

Ellis: I was talking with Cam about him last night and Cam pointed out he had a rediculous PK SV PCT that was likely unsustainable but that’s still a bloody wicked bargain for the Preds.

Ellis must really love that city and org or he must have not liked the way the wind would potentially blow re: offers on the FA market.

I guess there aren’t really a lot of teams out there looking for a starting goalie; though you wonder how he played vs the Hawks and if CHI was interested enough to take a chance on a guy they saw a few times last year; but this seems like he gave the Preds a heckuva deal.

Beach: Nice site on the Ducks, LT. Burke’s a fan of the bullyboys and if he threw money at a broken down Bertuzzi, you can imagine he won’t let Beach slip through his fingers if he’s there at 12.

Mayers to TO: Honest to fuck, what else can you say?

Oilers approach heading into this evening: Unless there’s a real sweetheart deal, let’s just stand pat and roll into ’09 playing Horc’s line and 14-16-34 vs the toughs, shelter the kids again for all get-out, let 20 walk and have a fourth line of 18-51-78 with Schremp, Jacques and Sortini kicking around.

Make the correct decision on Smid OR Greene and try and get a second round pick for the one you let guy. Trust that a ~60 game sample size from ’08 is enough to let you believe we’ve got at absolute worst a top 15 PP and use Roli why we have him to not play the fuck out of Garon.

I don’t know why the Oilers would do anything other than try and pick up a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

25. goldenchild says:

LT ” If Wild, Chorney and Petry all turn out someone is going to be traded, but at least they didn’t pick some guy in the second round in 2005 because they felt a need to pick a goalie.

This is the other issue Lowe has had, it seems when a there are a number of prospects at the top of the ready to graduate list who play the same position he has this want to ‘re-balance’ the holdings. So now the Oilers are top heavy at D with the 3 guys mentioned by you and Peckham so how many forwards will be drafted tomorrow? at 22 if the top 3 players available are all D man what are the odds Oilers go forward or goalie? I’d say pretty high.

26. Black Dog says:

Dennis – I would agree with that strategy wholeheartedly with MP as the centre on the fourth line – Brodziak can play the wing, Pouliot I think cannot

other then that unless you get somethign you can’t pass up (ie/ dregs for a young or established difference maker – which is not going to happen) then I would say let it roll

27. Alice says:

LT, How about you put up a post that we can all comment on with Simply the Name of the Guy that we get 22nd. Not the guy we want, no editorials. We can do that here. Just for kicks, let’s see who falls on the mark. And they can parade in their glory till the morning, and the rest of us will just have to suck it up or turn off our screens. Should we all throw a dart about now?

Oh Alice. You remind me of my wife. :-)

Okay, let’s throw darts-NOW!

Colby Robak.

29. Coach pb9617 says:

Anton Gustafsson

Cito Gaston is back with the Jays. The draft is now secondary. Holy crap, THAT didn’t just happen.

If Gene Mauch returns to the Expos I’ll die.

31. Alice says:

Luca Sbisa

32. doritogrande says:

Jordan Eberle. Though my heart’s set on Joe Colbourne.

33. DeBakey says:

Anton Gustaffson

34. Black Dog says:

Yeah Gibbons’ firing was coming, Gaston’s return – that is a big surprise.

I always loved Cito – I hope the Jays make a run just so he can tell all of the naysayers to shove it. They just might – serious underachievers this year.

So, um, Eberle. But only if Niinimaki is off the board.

35. Ribs says:

Man, I’m so bummed I haven’t had some time to look closer at these guys. My poor Hockey News Mag hasn’t been opened passed page 10.

I’ll have to round up somebody to cheer for before the draft here quick. I’ll be mad if they pick Sbisa, but I have no doubt that they could.

36. Coach pb9617 says:

Anton Gustaffson

Toronto is just killing me today. They trade for Mayers, they have McCabe so mad I bet he amputates a leg to spite them and NOW they’re encouraging Sundin to talk to the Habs.

Sweet Jesus!

Boy if you’re a free agent I imagine this makes you run to the phone when the Leafs call!

38. doritogrande says:

LT: Let’s not forget, they’re trying to move Kubina now, while there’s a loophole in his “no movement” clause.

That organization’s 7 kinds of fucked up, if you ask me.

39. Black Dog says:

that mayers move sums it all up – wow

and for all of our complaints about the Souray deal that’s SOP for the Leafs

dorito: Well it’s just crazy. First of all, wasn’t someone keeping track of all these no movement contracts? Wasn’t someone saying “I looked around and wow, we sure had a lot of money we couldn’t move!”?

And it’s ALL ON THE BLUELINE! $15M on three guys, all of whom are useful but combined with the other craziness it is simply too much to endure.

Fletcher’s a smart guy though, I will say that. Unless he’s off his nut from age he’ll do something with clarity today.

Because so far it’s a weird one.

41. doritogrande says:

bdhs: I’m okay with the move for Mayers. Find me another player on the Leafs that duplicates his skill-set.

42. Black Dog says:

dg – Tucker? Well, maybe before he got all of his coin.

I like Mayers but when you are supposed to be rebuilding, trading a third round pick for a 33 year old guy who you could probably find a kid for half the price to do that job doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

But of course this is the problem with the Leafs – they just won’t bite the bullet and rebuild. Instead they nibble at the idea.

Like playing Clemmenson over Pogge in the AHL playoffs. Stupid.

43. Ribs says:

I’m going off the wall with Andre Petersson.

If it means they trade down, so be it.

44. doritogrande says:

bd: Tucker I wouldn’t trust against tough opposition, and he’s in the training room more often than he’s on the ice nowadays. Mayers is coming off two successful Mens hockey championships, which you can be sure has improved his confidance and leadership abilities, two such abilities that the Maple Leafs are sorely lacking especially if they let Mats walk. His contract of 1.3 mil is pretty cap-friendly if you ask me. It’s said that this is a deep draft, but I’d much rather have a proven player than a prospect any day.

Ribs: If you’re looking for a quickie on prospects, HF has a bunch of 10-minute video clips up today.

45. Alice says:

//That organization’s 7 kinds of fucked up, if you ask me.//

Problem is they can’t get out of the spotlight. Look at the moves we pulled here last year when the heat was on to do something. That’s the Toronto atmosphere 24x7x365. Times 40. They get more ink in the off-season than the Red Wings get all year.

It’s why the high profile move (Burke) is the wrong one: it just ratchets up the expectation, this is the One Guy. They needed to pull the Mike Gillis. But they can’t – don’t you see the house is on fire?

46. Ribs says:

I’ll have to check that out DG. Thanks.

47. Coach pb9617 says:

They wouldn’t have to rebuild if every single free agent signing ended up being an abomination, and it was actually widely though to be an abomination at the time of the signing.

48. Master Lok says:

Wild guesses: Erik Karlsson or Zac Dalpe.

Exactly, coach. We know from the spring ’06 experience just how many really good cap contracts are required in order to manage the quality and depth needed to go deep into the spring.

How many good contracts do the Leafs have?

And more to the point, can any team surive the top 6 contracts at D and F?

Blake, Tucker and Bell (!!!!) up front is worth 9+M and then the big 3 on D cost 15M.

$24M for three good defensemen and a dog’s breakfast at F.

50. David says:

If they had a choice between Colbourne and Eberle, would they still opt for Eberle? They badly need a skill player with size. They’re okay for size in their bottom six, but they’ve had real problems getting guys in their system that are legitimate power forwards. The only player they’ve got in their top six is Penner, and they had to poach him from the Ducks.

I believe in drafting for need; more specifically, you envision your line-up five years down the road and figure out what you need.

51. David says:

Also, excellent Kristofferson reference.

52. Coach pb9617 says:

How many good contracts do the Leafs have?

It’s the exact same answer every year:

Two.

This year it’s Antropov and Kaberle.

53. Rod says:

david: Gotta disagree. As has been pointed out above, it’s much better to draft the best-player-available rather than “for need” in the early round(s). By the time these kids arrive in the show, your team need could be completely different than what was envisioned on draft day. Rosters change too much to predict that kind of thing. Draft the BPA. Worst case, the BPA doesn’t match your team needs. Does that mean the asset has no value on the trade market? Besides, bringing in a younger replacement usually provides cap-relief, even if the skill sets match.

Draft the BPA–the best asset–and you’ll have a better chance of filling whatever your roster needs in a few years.

54. jon says:

I’ll join the fun

Forward: jordan Eberle

Goalie: Chet Pikard

D-man: cody Goloubef

55. doritogrande says:

EURO 08. Do it. Now.

56. Lord Bob says:

Erik Karlsson. Small, skilled, the sort of player the Oilers love.

57. speeds says:

I’m going to guess they go with a F in the first round, but given the number of quality D available in the first round, and the fact that they may get their only crack at a goalie they really want at 22, it’s not impossible they go in any direction this year.

My guess:

at F – Eberle, Dalpe, Colborne

D – they might take any of Sbisa, Robak, Cuma, or Karlsson, if they are still avail

G – Who knows?

Stauffer off the top of the show suggesting that Cammalleri might be coming (Stoll as return or part of) and Steen (Torres and or Smid being discussed) is possible.

Interesting stuff all around.

59. DeBakey says:

Steen?

That’s why I suggested Gustoffson

60. GorillazXL says:

I hope Eberle goes to the Oilers, I don’t care if we’ve got Schremp, Gagner, Cogliano and Nilsson (all small forwards) this guy is the hidden gem of this draft. If not for his size he would be way up there in the top 5. Trade Stoll w/ 22 to CLB for the 19th pick (this is over payment to me but if it gets us Eberle before NJ, I’ll be happy).

GXL

61. honkey says:

I like Ribs choice with Andre Petersson, good goal scorer and been in the shadow behind his team mate Tedenby. Has produced well at international level.

I will say Kirill Petrov since no one else mentioned his name. In three years time when his contract with Kazan? runs out he should be a pretty good player and very NHL ready.

62. Knamely Lacked says:

Erik Karlsson

63. doritogrande says:

Douchebag Burke on OTR: Well, we’ll have to thank the team who gave us the 12th overall pick before we make the selection.

dorito: I’d be disappointed if he didn’t. Burke has only himself to blame (Bertuzzi signing) but he’s also terribly entertaining and that’s entertaining.

65. Mark-Ryan says:

Pickard would have to be the go-to goaltender in the draft, if we were indeed going that route.

Also, I would never route against an 18 year olds career, but listening to Burke talk really makes we wish he falls flat on his face. Knowing his draft-record, it’s not all that unlikely.

66. doritogrande says:

LT: Darren Dreger also talked about the Cammaleri for Stoll deal. You’d have to think it’s more than just rumour if there’s more than one source clamouring about that connection.

67. Bill Needle says:

It’ll be Gustafsson.
    BTW, that Coke Machine pictured has wheels, unlike most of the ones the Oilers drafted.

68. andy grabia says:

Dreger also just said that Stoll might be going to LA for Cammalleri. And that Tanguay might go to Calgary for the 25th overall pick. Fenwick’s head will explode if that happens.

Brownlee mentioned Grachev. He had an item on his blog about him the other day too.

Wouldn’t that be nuts? A Russian? A Russian Niini-frreaking-Maki?

Lordy.

70. andy grabia says:

So I guess I’m the only one who would take a flier on Emery, eh?

71. Coach pb9617 says:

That’s why I suggested Gustoffson

Seconded.

Andy: I’d take a flier on Emery if there was a way to get him on the roster behind Garon (and rid the roster of Roloson).

Emery’s a nice bet at 1M imo.

73. doritogrande says:

“Tanguay might go to Calgary for the 25th overall pick. Fenwick’s head will explode if that happens.”

This is looking more and more like reality, according to TSN.

Also, have you heard the one about the ambidextrous pitcher versus the switch hitter? It’s a good one.

74. Mark-Ryan says:

TSN says the Tanguay for 25th overall pick is close to finalized.

I swear to god, I don’t care if we pick all busts and deal Pitkanen for a deluxe donair, that deal would make this day a huge success.

75. andy grabia says:

WHAT? Cammaleri went to CAlgary!?

76. doritogrande says:

Trade is already in.

It’s a 3 way deal.

Calgary gets Cammalleri, LA gets the 12th pick, the ducks get the 17th and 28th.

Fuck. What a shocker.

77. Lord Bob says:

A day which sees Stoll for Cammalleri and Tanguay for a late first is a successful day no matter how you slice it. Come on, the wheels of trade rumours!

78. doritogrande says:

Well, if Calgary wasn’t over the cap before…

I thought they were going to sign Langkow.

79. Mark-Ryan says:

Well, that was a clusterfuck. Cammy is a Flame, Anaheim’s pick is now LA’s and Stoll is still an Oiler.

80. Lord Bob says:

I will leave my previous comment up just to display what a jackass I am.

We go from ‘terrible trade for the Flames and an excellent trade for the Oilers’ to ‘an excellent trade for the Flames and no trade for the Oilers’. Time to be sad.

81. andy grabia says:

Well, if Calgary wasn’t over the cap before…

But with Tanguay gone, they save cash.

82. doritogrande says:

“Well, that was a clusterfuck.”

Truer words will not be spoken today.

83. andy grabia says:

No shit. Except I’d say losing Tanguay was bad. Course, it probably means they can have Langkow too, now.

84. doritogrande says:

“But with Tanguay gone, they save cash.”

Yeah, I just caught that too. Fuck Sutter is a sly dude today. Got to credit him for that.

85. speeds says:

LA with a bunch of other picks, wonder if they are trying to trade up from 12 into the top 5?

86. Mark-Ryan says:

I’m sorry, but I don’t see how this is an “excellent trade for Calgary”. They basically traded their pick and Tanguay for Cammy, the 25th overall pick and $2 million in cap-space this season.

Tanguay > Cammy
    17th > 25th

87. doritogrande says:

speeds: Apparently the Islanders are dangling their top-5 carrot as well. Imagine Doughty and Filatov playing together in a couple years with Kopitar, Johnson, Brown, O’Sullivan, Hickey…

Christ. I need a beer already.

You know Sutter looks like a vagrant and talks funny but for crap’s sakes that’s a nice outcome.

89. andy grabia says:

And Daymond Langkow.

Andy: No. The savings go to the Langkow contract. Shyte.

91. doritogrande says:

Tanguay, 17th < Cammy, 25th AND Langkow.

Fixed it for you mark-ryan.

92. Coach pb9617 says:

The $2 million in cap space is Langkow.

93. Mark-Ryan says:

The $2 million in cap-space is 1/3rd of Langkow, and they would’ve signed him anyway.

IMHO, the $2 million is Owen Nolan. And they still need to replace Conroy, Yelle, Goddard, Smith, Nilson as well as Tanguay. With ~$9 million.

94. doritogrande says:

I love watching Bettman getting boo’d on live Television.

It’s just damn funny watching him try and appreciate the fans as they’re laughing histerically at him.

95. doritogrande says:

Jokinen to Phoenix for Ballard Boynton and a 2nd rounder.

FUCK again!

96. gary b says:

Jokinen to PHX?

!!!!!!!

97. andy grabia says:

I’m eager to hear Lowe give his, “we tried to trade for this guy/pick speech.”

Whoa. Jokinen gone, too. This draft has been awesome, and it hasn’t even started.

98. andy grabia says:

Koules looks like he is about to cry. That is awesome.

99. doritogrande says:

And thus ends the Steven Stamkos hype.

On to the draft!

100. andy grabia says:

Oh, Pierre.

“It’s not even about the numbers for Steve Stamkos. It’s about his level of excellence.”

101. honkey says:

That Jokinen trade feels a lot like what Bruins did with Thornton.

102. doritogrande says:

“The highest Macedonian Canadian to be drafted in the NHL”

Okay. Sorry to sound bigoted to any Macedonian Canadians…but did we really need to know that Glenn Healy?

103. Coach pb9617 says:

Jokinen to Phoenix for Ballard Boynton and a 2nd rounder.

FUCK again!

Eh – overpay.

104. doritogrande says:

Now…I’m confused. John Tavares was drafted first in his year. Stamkos went 2nd.

Does the Tavares selection not count because he was underage?

105. Lord Bob says:

Personally, I’d vastly rather have Tanguay than Langkow and a late first. So at least we have that going for us. But that Cammalleri thing… painful.

Still. Tanguay is a tough-minutes producer who can play with anybody. Cammalleri is a producer but only that. We’ll see how that goes.

And then…

Ballard, Boynton, and a second?

Come on. You’re telling me Pitkanen, Greene, and the first doesn’t get that done? I think it does. And, as Kevin Lowe so wisely said, we sure have a lot of defensemen. Pitkanen’s loss would hurt but Jokinen would make the hurting stop.

106. andy grabia says:

Can we trade for Dean Lombardi? Please?

107. doritogrande says:

It’s Doughty. Good selection there.

108. andy grabia says:

And guys, really? I’m the only one not remotely sad to not have Jokinen or Cammy right now? Really?

I’m not sad at all. But the thought of losing Stoll gave me a bit of a stiffy.

109. doritogrande says:

So hey, they haven’t actually announced the two Flames trades yet…have they?

110. doritogrande says:

Bogosian 3rd overall. Definitely no surprises in the draft yet.

111. doritogrande says:

Trade:

There’s an 09 second rounder going to Calgary and an 08 5th to Montreal in the Tanguay trade.

112. Mark-Ryan says:

Somebody explain to me how 40% of Langkow’s cap-hit next season and one year of Cammy is worth trading down 8 spots and losing Tanguay?

113. doritogrande says:

mark-ryan:

Maybe there’s a possibility to re-sign Huselius with the extra money?

Also, Alex Tanguay: 28. Mike Cammalleri: 26.

114. doritogrande says:

Fletcher came through, apparently.

Looks like Toronto gets Pierre’s human eraser.

I bet Toronto picks Filatov or Beech.

116. andy grabia says:

Interesting to see Guerin at the Isles table.

Oh God, Pierre. You don’t care what Toronto gave up? You don’t even know that they are taking Schenn. I’d love to see them take someone else, just to hear McGuire lose it.

117. Quain says:

I don’t care what they gave up as long as they sign him to a $6m a year deal and give him a no trade clause.

118. andy grabia says:

What a terrible trade. I love the Leafs.

119. doritogrande says:

Trade:

#5 to Toronto

#7 this year, and some fucked up combination of 2nd and 3rd rounders in the next two years to New York Islanders.

120. Coach pb9617 says:

Nah – neither is a fit.

However, the letdown of not cutting Stoll loose is too much.

121. CM says:

What was the story with Stoll and Cammy??

122. doritogrande says:

I think Pierre Macguire just came a half-dozen times.

Schenn’s a really good player.

124. andy grabia says:

Guy most upset about that Toronto pick? Phaneuf. McGuire has a new boy-toy.

125. Mark-Ryan says:

I don’t think Gretzky was good enough to earn the kind of fellating McGuire just gave Schenn.

126. doritogrande says:

Holy trading frenzy Bettman!

19th and 67th overall from CBJ for RJ Umberger and the 118th.

127. Mark-Ryan says:

Howson’s first and third for Umberger and a fourth.

128. gary b says:

somebody get Pierre a tarp.

129. grease trap says:

maguire loves ‘em trilingual

130. doritogrande says:

I think that makes all the first 6 selections “the real deal”

Enough fucking cliches already!

I don’t like the CBJ selection. They needed a defenseman.

131. doritogrande says:

Jesus, the kid speaks better English than Ovechkin. Not that it’s saying much, but it’s kinda cool.

132. Rod says:

Somebody, anybody…”accidentally” unplug Pierre. The draft is unwatchable with that maniac involved.

133. CM says:

What was the story with Stoll and Cammy??

134. Coach pb9617 says:

I don’t like the CBJ selection. They needed a defenseman.

Orpik.

Pierre is an idiot.

136. doritogrande says:

cm: There were rumours that Stoll was going to be part of a package for Cammalleri. They were kiboshed when Cammalleri was traded to Calgary instead.

Talk about getting fucked over.

137. doritogrande says:

Holy hell. Another trade.

Islanders trade down again. Nashville gives up the 9th and 40th.

138. andy grabia says:

The Islanders are going with the old Bill Walsh/ 49ers strategy.

You can never trade guys who are hurt for anything of value. “Raffi” and “knee” are associated with each other, as are “Stoll” and “concussion.”

140. doritogrande says:

Colin Wilson goes higher than expected. There goes my Winnipeg boy.

141. Rod says:

dg: Good pick by the Blue Jackets. The big name picks on defense were already gone. Meanwhile, Filatov ranked #2 by Redline, and #3 by ISS. BPA @#6 isn’t a bad pick.

142. doritogrande says:

Colin Wilson could double as a 25-year old executive of a fortune-500 company. Jesus this guy’s huge!

143. grease trap says:

“As he peels off his shirt he’s ripped, he’s jacked!”

You can’t make this stuff up.

144. Mark-Ryan says:

Filatov is my boy in this draft. Seeing him go to Columbus is fine by me.

Wilson? Meh. I’d take Boedker over him anyday.

145. grease trap says:

Smart move Gretz

146. PDO says:

Flames gain $2,000,000 in cap space.

Lose a legit first line guy for an iffy second guy line who can’t play defense to save his life and is a smurf.

Lose 7 spots in the draft, likely allowing the Oilers to take their guy, Colbourne.

Love it.

147. doritogrande says:

rod:

then you trade down like the Islanders have done. You don’t have to trade down that much and still get Myers or Teubert. And you’d be picking up a great asset in a second rounder, which the Islanders have done twice.

148. Mark-Ryan says:

Damn the Coyotes are friggin’ scary. Boedker, Turris, Mueller – three superstars in the making. Jokinen, a borderline superstar now.

149. uni says:

I know there was no chance of it, but seeing Filatov go to any team but the Oilers still makes me sad =(.

And holy hell, Colin Wilson over the Boedmeister? What in the hell?

150. Rod says:

dg: Um, let’s just say that using Islanders management decisions to back up your viewpoint is, well, not exactly irrefutable.

151. doritogrande says:

Damn. Hodgson’s going to kill us in a couple years.

On the plus-side…I get to see him in Manitoba in two years :D

152. Mark-Ryan says:

I’m trying to put the Vulcan Mind Meld on Lamoriello. “Pass on Eberle… Pass on Eberle”.

Hogdson’s a nice player for Vancouver. Smart guy, good upside – definitely something to contend with years to come.

153. mike w says:

Christ, I think I just found out where the party is.

I like the Islanders trade: the Islanders drop 4 spots and gain two picks under 75.

The Tanguay trade is dumb for Calgary. I love it.

154. Black Dog says:

How come every single guy has a comp like Gordie Howe or Paul Coffey?

I’m waiting for “He reminds me a lot of Brad Winchester” or “He’s the next Ryan Sittler”

I like the Islanders’ moves. Garth Snow. Who knew? Other then Vic.

Leafs make me laugh. I like Schenn a lot but that’s three picks in the 2nd and 3rd to move up two spots and acquire Mayers.

155. Black Dog says:

“A good kid who does bad things”

He’s just like Winters.

156. Mark-Ryan says:

Jesus, how many times is that pick going to change hands? From Edmonton to Anaheim to Los Angeles to Buffalo.

157. Coach pb9617 says:

I’m getting a Tyler Cuma to Edmonton vibe.

158. mike w says:

All the better to forget that the Oilers ever gave it away.

Oh, the Sabres just drafted a circus freak!

159. Ribs says:

You know, I wonder how many “hockey people” are actually worried about Stoll having concussion problems.

It seems obvious to us from his play that he just hasn’t been the same player but maybe that’s just what we want to believe?
    Has he ever missed a game from concussion symptoms since his incident? Have we ever even heard anything about recurring or lurking problem areas with his head? I haven’t, to my recollection (but hey, I’ve been a victim of concussion as well).

Are we maybe expecting too much from him? Is he not fitting into the offence as he once did? I can’t say any player has made his life any easier this past season.

His wingers seem to change every night nowadays and no one seems to understand that they should be skating as hard as he is after the puck. Too often I’d see Stoll charge in after the puck after a dump in and thought to myself, why?
    He’s slower than most of the players on the team, he’s too small to be a power forward, why is everyone else watching him do this?

I like to try to understand why players do the things they do and when I see Stoll busting his butt out there to no avail I figure something can/needs to be fixed here.

We’ve seen what he can do and it would be a shame to give that up if he still has it in him. If I were Kevin Lowe, I’d be keeping him onboard another year. He’s cheap, wants to play here, and (I think) still has good potential left in him. I’d also talk to the coach about what he is doing on the ice. He’s been put in a role where he cannot succeed and that is what really needs to change.

160. doritogrande says:

Um…seriously why did Buffalo give up a 3rd round pick next year to move up one spot?

It makes no fucking sense. Are they giving them incentive to “please don’t pick our player”?

This is where the kids EDM probably wants are going to go. Colborne, Boychuk, Robak, Eberle, Tedenby, Teubert, Sbisa.

That’s the list straight ahead, along with my personal nightmare (goalie, Graschev or whatever the Russian Brownlee mentioned is named).

162. Black Dog says:

These combines are dumb. What does a guy’s vertical have to do with his ability to play hockey.

Stupid.

Wow the Kings are piling up the kids. Jesus. Them and Phoenix.

163. uni says:

Gotta say, this draft is way more entertaining than I had hoped so far.

Damn it I was hoping Lowe would pull off some spectacularly good moves though.

Tanguay for a 25th overall pick? Camalleri for a 17th overall pick?

Now I’m not very good with this hockey stuff I suppose, but are unproven prospects that low worth a dynamic offensive player and a damn fine proven outscorer like Tanguay?

164. Black Dog says:

MacKenzie’s top 13 picks have all been picked.

Golden.

165. Mark-Ryan says:

Anybody but Eberle….

Rutherford looks like the jailer in Shawshank Redemption.

167. Black Dog says:

Yeah Uni I thought that too.

168. Coach pb9617 says:

Yes, when a team desperately needs cap space.

169. Ribs says:

I’m actually enjoying the quietness from the Oilers table. Lowe’s playing it right here.

170. doritogrande says:

As if my ideal draft pick went to the team that beat us in the Finals.

How can I cheer for Boychuk properly now?

171. Coach pb9617 says:

Pierre LOVES all of these kids. They are all GREAT! AMAZING athletes and FANTASTIC kids.

I shudder to think of what he does to their game tapes at home.

172. Black Dog says:

Pierre is making me mental.

LT – re: Rutherford – lol

Oh, coach. :-)

174. mike w says:

What does a guy’s vertical have to do with his ability to play hockey.

I suppose this is some measurement of fast-twitch explosiveness or something, but some of these kids are so young that they actually look like women.

From the looks of him, I don’t see Filatov having done well in the combine, or being in the NHL anytime soon.

175. uni says:

Yes, when a team desperately needs cap space.

I suppose, but one would assume you could get better value than a 25th overall and 4th rounder was it? You’d think you’d get something more substantial than picks.

Here’s what’s left of my top 20:

12. Joe Colborne
    13. Colby Robak
    15. Michael Del Zotto
    16. Jordan Eberle
    17. Mattias Tedenby
    18. Jake Gardiner
    19. Greg Nemisz
    20. Luca Sbisa

The goalies are coming and Brownlee has spooked me with his Grachev talk.

Damn!

177. Mark-Ryan says:

Calgary could have shed that $2 million without losing it’s only half-way decent LW with a contract.

15 to Ottawa for 18 and 3rd in ’09. Crowd liked that.

178. mike w says:

Yes, when a team desperately needs cap space.

Yes, but to trade one of your top players for a pending UFA (albeit a good one)?

It’s a shame because all of their payroll’s dead wood is on defence.

179. Coach pb9617 says:

NOW I get Pierre’s whole angle!

180. Black Dog says:

They should trade Alfie right now – that would be funny.

181. Black Dog says:

And the crowd says …

‘wha?!’

182. Ribs says:

These young players always seem to have the neato-est hair cuts.

You guys do know Cammalleri is a terrific player, right? He can play LW w/Langkow and Iginla and do well.

Fine, fine player.

Pierre has lost control. Of everything.

185. Coach pb9617 says:

Pierre has lost control. Of everything.

Someone needs to dart him with some valium.

Well you probably won’t feel the same way when Matt Greene is wearing his ass for a hat after Cammalleri leaves him behind like a house on the side of the road.

187. Ribs says:

Gene and Pierre together would be awesome…

188. Black Dog says:

There goes Colborne.

189. Mark-Ryan says:

LT: Super small, soft as butter, PP guy, inflated by a team full of better offensive talents them himself… I take Tanguay over Cammy ten times out of ten.

Colbourne’s gone. I’m glad. I didn’t want him, too risky for a one-pick-in-the-good-rounds draft.

190. doritogrande says:

FUCK. Colbourne’s gone.

191. Black Dog says:

There are some nice players left.

Come on Lowe, no Niinimmaki. Stay on the board! Stay focussed.

192. Black Dog says:

Sutter looks like he should be sitting on his porch in a rocking chair, shooting those damn kids who come on his land.

193. andy grabia says:

Joe Colborne apparently has curly hair and talks like Joe Thornton. And hey, even the same first name! No wonder Boston took him!!!

Eyeroll.

Cammalleri is a helluva player, he really is.

Oilers SHOULD get a nice player here, but I’ll tell you this feels like Niinimaki times Dubnyk squared.

They’re going to take Colton Yellow Horn.

I have to take a pepto.

195. Coach pb9617 says:

First thing I thought when they switched to him was “GET OFF MY LAWN!”

196. Coach pb9617 says:

They’re going to take Colton Yellow Horn.

Cuma.

197. andy grabia says:

Jake Gardiner is wearing the modern-day hockey mullet.

198. Mark-Ryan says:

Bah, we’ll agree to disagree. 9 goals in 53 games to end his season does not scream nice player, especially considering he has almost zero intangibles.

199. Black Dog says:

Six of your top twenty left LT. Plus Gustafsson.

I think we’re going to get a good pick.

200. Ribs says:

Grachev has Mikhnov written all over him.

Newer Comments »