Draft Week Post #5: Speed Kills

Confession time: In the many years I’ve been a hockey fan there are few things that have more value than scouting reports. In magazines and books dating back 50 years, there’s probably thousands of them on my book shelf.

You notice some things over time, like certain new players’ scouting reports resemble the “old-timey” ones from decades earlier.

International Scouting Services is among the most famous scouting services going and I think it’s one of the two best on the market.
——-

Did you know that the draft day scouting reports for Andrew Cogliano and Rob Schremp contain a number of similarities?

International Scouting Services said this about Schremp: Game-breaking offensive pivot with superior playmaking ability. He is probably the most one dimensional of all the top prospects (2004).

ISS said this about Cogliano: Game-breaking offensive pivot with superior playmaking ability and hockey sense. Probably the most one dimensional of all the top prospects. (2005)

That’s too close to be anything but a cut and paste from them and I want to be clear that both scouting reports on each player were varied and full of information. I’m posting this not to point out that ISS got a little lazy, but to point out that when they entered their respective drafts these two players had a lot in common.

The main difference was speed. A secondary difference may have been leadership qualities but that’s not really something we can measure aside from the anecdotes we already have about each of the two players.

All things being equal, speed (like size) gets prospects noticed. Andrew Cogliano sped right past Rob Schremp last fall partly because of wheels. Schremp’s off-season surgery was also a factor but we heard about Cogs speed pretty much from day one and he won a job early in camp.

On September 22, 2007, Craig MacTavish was pretty impressed by Cogliano. “He’s productive offensively, really like the speed he brings, solid 4×4. We want to give him lots of time to get indoctrinated into the NHL pace. Once the checking closes in we’ll see if he’s as productive as he has been (so far). He’s scoring and looks to be dependable defensively. He’s a good positional player.”

Baseball men love speed because it can be used offensively and defensively, and speed never goes into a slump. The great Oilers teams of the 1980s (who got another member into the Hall today, congrats to Glenn Anderson) were so fast it was breathtaking.

The Oilers have some serious speed on this roster aside from Cogliano. They have some nice speed bubbling under (Chorney’s supposed to be an excellent skater) and here are a few names for the draft:

• LW Mattias Tedenby
  • C Anton Gustafsson
  • C Daultan Leveille
  • C Tyler Ennis
  • C Jordan Eberle

15 Responses to "Draft Week Post #5: Speed Kills"

1. Coach pb9617 says:

Tedenby’s speed is great, but he would be the smallest guy in the organization.

2. PDO says:

Solution:

Trade up and draft Beach.

Speed, size and skill.

And he’s fucking crazy.

3. jon k says:

Eberle is not a particularly fast skater from what I’ve seen and also reported from a few sources. His lack of offensive creativity combined with that is a bit of a red flag for translating his offence to the big leagues, especially coming in as an undersized forward.

4. honkey says:

I can’t imagine Tedenby be available at #22. He has the skill level on par with Forsberg, Näslund and Sundin had at that age.
    He’s been outplaying players that are two years older at every level so far even on the international stage.

5. Mark-Ryan says:

The line on Eberle seems to be quick but not fast. Good first step and fine acceleration but he lacks that 4th gear.

Everything I’ve heard about him reminds me a lot of Sam Gagner. Smart player, high hockey IQ. Smaller but not miniature, sneaky offensive skills but not flashy. The biggest difference is, he’s a goal scorer. And he’s done it in a tough league for goal scorers on a team that didn’t exactly inflate his stats.

He’s my pick for sure.

6. kanadienkyle says:

Chorney is in fact a great skater. Very effortless, to the point where he doesn’t appear to be fast until he blows by someone.

7. digger says:

From the bits and pieces I’ve seen of Chorney over the past couple of seasons, the thing that sticks out about his skating is how fast he is when he decides to move in from the point with the puck. Extremely agile.

As for the Cogs/Schremp comparisons, the other obvious difference of course is Schremp’s shot. When he has the time and space, he can blow it by a goalie over their shoulder in a heartbeat. Cogs doesn’t have that tool in his toolbox yet. Now if only Schremp could improve his skating past mediocrity so that he could get that shot off sometime other than the PP…

8. therealdeal says:

It’s hard to believe that at one point Cogs was thought of as one dimensional because that’s the last term I would use to describe him.

9. HBomb says:

The more I hear about Eberle, the more he sound like he’s the Oilers guy if he’s there at 22.

And the more I hear it, the more I like it. The only exception would be if Colby Robak took a slide and they had the either/or choice. Then it becomes a more difficult decision…

10. Moose says:

I’ve heard that neither Beach or Eberle are great skaters.

11. Steve says:

Really? The last term? What about “porcine”, or “avuncular”, or “Thai”?

12. Islandlife says:

steve said…

Really? The last term? What about “porcine”, or “avuncular”, or “Thai”?

The most hilarious thing I’ve read in a long while. Thanks for the smile and chuckle.

13. Steve says:

Think nothing of it – it’s the best I can do, since I don’t have a single useful insight to contribute to any of these posts.

14. RiversQ says:

Moose said…
    I’ve heard that neither Beach or Eberle are great skaters.

I wouldn’t know these guys from Adam, but it wouldn;t surprise me. It’s like the opposite of the big man effect.

People often assume big men are slow skaters because it looks that way. Same goes for the little guys. They aren’t all like Cogliano just because they are under six feet tall. Those little legs are flailing away so they must be fast.

15. Islandlife says:

Steve:

Hockey blogging is easy…comedy is hard.