Free Agent Post #4: Gord’s Boy

This is Gord Redden. I did a little item on him in April 2007 and I think his son has a chance to be an Edmonton Oiler on July 1st.

Why? The Oilers want him. Have for a long time. You can know that just from reading your daily newspaper and listening to the local sports station.

They’ve tried to acquire the guy. In the summer, in the spring, in the winter. It’s never happened.

This summer we’ll find out something even more interesting: is Wade Redden interested in the Edmonton Oilers. I think they’d be more than willing to pay market price (which will be high) and trade off talent (say Pitkanen, Stoll and Raffi) to make it work.

Kevin Lowe has talked at length about adding a skill forward and a gritty player this summer but I think their target is Wade Redden.

It has been for awhile. This summer, there’s no middle man, no barrier, no friggin’ in the riggin’. If he doesn’t come, it’s because he doesn’t want to, and that’s a story too.

41 Responses to "Free Agent Post #4: Gord’s Boy"

1. IceDragoon says:

Good day.

I don’t know, Lain.

L8r
    Louise

2. PDO says:

We already know he doesn’t want to, or Shawn Horcoff would be an Ottawa Senator.

3. Scott says:

pdo:

Like the Nylander deal, sometimes the hockey gods smile on Edmonton… sometimes

Louise: Maybe. The agent’s numbers may send him away.

PDO: I think it’s different now. Redden bled red (Sen red) but now he’s got a chance to pick his destination. The Oilers outbid everyone for Souray, I think they may do the same here.

5. jd says:

Interesting. If Lowe gets the guy for 2-3 years its a good pickup. anything longer and we might have another Souray/Penner.

6. Dennis says:

I wouldn’t really worry about it; Smid’s offensive potential is sure to materialize any day now, Lowe is the master at the quan/qual move and, hey, fuck, Lupul could come around any day now!!!!

7. Jonathan says:

I sure hope not, but I can’t convince myself that you’re reading this wrong, LT.

8. andy grabia says:

I thought he’d vetoed a deal to here before? Am I on crazy pills, or did that happen?

9. therealdeal says:

If Redden doesn’t want to come to the Oilers it would be the biggest stroke of luck the Oilers have seen since Regier matched the Vanek offer sheet.

10. Mark-Ryan says:

You gotta remember, Redden refused a deal to San Jose too – while Ottawa was floundering and San Jose was still a contender, at the deadline. Redden wanted to win a cup in Ottawa, I don’t think it was personal that he refused a deal here.

Jonathan: I get you, but Pitkanen played middle pairing competition on the Oilers and had similar counting numbers (3.10 GA/60) and has battled as many injuries as Redden. I like Redden’s puck-moving game just about as much as I like anyones and I like him to find his form better then Pitkanen’s.

If we can somehow manage it, I think I’d be all for it, even at $5.5+ – because it:

A) Means Stoll is gone

B) Means we can afford to lose Pitkanen

C) Means our D gets a little older.

11. Ribs says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Redden sign here but I can’t see how he would unless he takes a huge discount in salary.
    Back when we had no defensemaen to name I was pushing for him but flopped quickly on the idea after taking a longer look at Pitkanen. He offers a lot of the same qualities Redden does, puts up the same amount of points, and has some bubbling untapped potential left in him, all for a much cheaper price tag.

Even if Pitkanen goes bye-bye I think there may be some better options out there that won’t require such a huge overpayment.

12. Coach pb9617 says:

I’m struggling to see the comparison between Souray and Penner.

13. Ducey says:

Based on Desjardins, these are their ratings from last year:

4 on 5
    Pit 3.14 #1 Dman on team
    Red 1.91 #1 Dman on team

5 on 4
    Pit -3.22! #6 Dman
    Red -0.19 #3 Dman

5 on 5
    Pit .20 #3 Dman
    Red .29 #2 Dman (also top Corsi on team)

So Pitkanen is better on the PK, brutal on the PP, and they are equal at even strength.

All of this talk of “soft minutes” seems to be a bastardization of the Desjardins numbers to me. Isn’t it?

Maybe you give the edge to Pitkanen at a lower price and a younger age. If he was going to stick around and if he wasn’t a head case, I would agree that the Oilers should keep him. However, all indications are that he is not going to stay here 1 minute past his UFA due date. And he seems uninterested in maximizing his potential.

I ask that you straighten me out here, but it seems that a 2 year deal with Redden is about equal to 2 years with Pitkanen. When you figure than Redden costs no assets and Pitkanen can be traded for some, it seems to be advantage Redden to me.

14. Big T says:

So what does Pitkanen plus Torres/Stoll get you?

T

15. Jonathan says:

Redden is six years older than Pitkanen. 6 years ago he had 34 points in 79 games. This season, Pitkanen had 26 points in 63 games. The two seasons prior, Redden had 47 and 36 points, while in his last two seasons, Pitkanen 43 and 46 (the 46 coming in only 58 games due to injury).

Pitkanen has better potential than Redden ever did, and unlike Redden is moving towards the prime of his career, not away from it. Redden could certainly rebound, but Pitkanen is a better bet.

Right now they are very comparable players (although Pitkanen posted comparable numbers on an inferior team), but in two years time, when the Oilers really should be a legitimate contender, Pitkanen will be in his prime, and Redden will be further away from it.

Finally, 10$ says Redden gets a bigger contract this summer than Pitkanen does.

16. Ducey says:

“but in two years time, when the Oilers really should be a legitimate contender, Pitkanen will be in his prime”

…and playing for some other team…no?

17. PDO says:

Scott: Couldn’t agree more. I think it happened again with the Jokinen AND Cammalerri deals falling through at the draft.

LT: Maybe. But if he does that, we HAVE to move Pitkanen (what are we going to do – pay Gilbert 4, Souray 5.4, Pitkanen 4.5, Redden 4 and become the Maple Laffs?), because Gilbert isn’t going anywhere after signing that deal a few months ago and Souray is unmovable.

I know it wouldn’t be straight up, but I would be loathe to trade Pitkanen unless Kovalchuk, E. Staal, Nash, or Heatley was coming back. Somehow, I doubt that.

He’s not a free agent…

But what would it cost to bring Havlat here for the last year of his $18,000,000 contract that has been quite the bust thus far?

18. dave says:

There’s alot of drug rumors around Redden. and Pitkanen’s better.

19. Mark-Ryan says:

Redden at his best was a top-10 d-man in this league, which is about where Pitkanen’s potential is. I don’t like Pitkanen to cover the bet on his potential – I just don’t. Too lackadaisical, too inconsistent and too much of a wuss. Pitkanen at 24 is what he is and I don’t expect that to change much. Honestly, I don’t see how anyone could.

What I expect from Redden is to steady himself a bit. He’s definitely a better puck-mover (best first pass in the game, IMO) and he’s way better on the PP. I think if he’s given the right assignment, 20 minutes a game sharing comp. with Gilbert, Grebs, Sheldon and Staios he could flourish on a defense by committee, especially in the West.

But who knows, maybe I’m out to lunch on this.

20. Coach pb9617 says:

If Redden is signed then Lowe is committing himself to moving Stoll, Torres and Pitkanen, unless Katz is willing to pay Roloson 3.5 million to hang out in Springfield and get off of the cap – then he’s only committing to moving Stoll and Torres.

21. IceDragoon says:

mark-ryan: Redden may have been pumped to look like a top ten talent, but when the tough gets going, Redden needs someone else to cover the tough minutes.

Pitkanen, a 24 year old defenseman, is finished developing??? You can’t be serious.

Ken Hitchcock said that Joni was one of the smartest players he has ever coached; and that Edmonton needs to have patience with him. Here’s something you can bet the mortgage on… Really smart people don’t stop learning at 24.

Pitkanen’s got too much to give up on after one bad year. And, I’m hoping that MacTavish took the opportunity at the WHCs to ask for some of Hitch’s insight.

22. Mark-Ryan says:

He might be smart, but I don’t think he gives a shit. He certainly doesn’t play like it, twice he’s been booted from world play for it.

But I don’t disagree that somehow took the tougher minutes from Redden, usually Phillips. I just don’t think Pitkanen is or ever will be in a position to be tough minutes well either. He played softer minutes this year and had a poor GA/60.

Either way, I don’t think he’s an Oiler in the long-term. I’d rather deal him now and sign a decent replacement like Redden then wait him out.

23. IceDragoon says:

Well, he’s still learning, but Mirtle/behindthenet says he’s already logging the tough minutes. You should pop over and check it out.

Redden is NOT a “decent replacement” to cover tough minutes in the western conference when he can’t even handle them in the east.

24. Rod says:

>>I know its cool to dish Redden and sing the praises of Pitkanen but can you tell me why?< <
    SCF against the Ducks, Redden was, uh…so bad I don’t ever want to see him in an Oiler jersey. Hopefully Lowe and Co. remember that series when July 1st rolls around.

Of course that highlights the East/West angle…

There’s no reason to overpay for Redden, at any time. Doing so when Pitkanen should be available for less? Crazy. Especially when looking that the potential the kid has. Remember, Pitkanen is a few months younger than Gilbert. Are we saying that Gilbert has reached the peak of his ability? Pitkanen will get better too. Way too much talent to be done before he plays a game @ 25.

First comment waaay up top:
    >>I think KLo has moved on and would prefer to risk Pitkanen becoming the player he can be, rather than trying to revive Redden to the player he was.< <

Agreed completely. Pitkanen has a much better chance of covering that bet. To my eyes anyway.

25. Bruce says:

When the tough get going, Redden needs someone else to cover his sorry ass.

26. Ducey says:

Sounds like a lot of people have “seen” Redden and Pitkanen “good”, or bad, as the case may be.

I still don’t get it though. If Pitkanen is not going to sign longterm, how does all this potential help the Oilers? I expect that he will sign with the Oilers as a RFA this year and then again in 09/10, and then he is gone. The Oil will get two years out of him and then nothing.

So if I am Lowe and can bring in Redden at decent price this summer, I do it. I then move Pitkanen (smart guy) and Torres (cement head).

27. DBO says:

Not sure if anyone else agrees, but is it safe to say Lowe should be shooting to be a true contender next year (09/10 season)? One year of development at a cheap cost for gagner and Cogliano. one last year of Pisani and Torres (if they aren’t dealt). So i hope any moves lowe makes are geared toward a true run in 09/10. i think it was LT who posted before that you need a combo of cheap young guys who outperform their deals, as well as vets playing for one more contract. With that being said, what UFA/RFA fits the bill that they will be at the top of their game next year? Pitkanen has talent and potential, but does anyone thing he’ll be at his peak next year when we will have our best chance of being a true contender. Or would a Redden at $4 million be more of a producer next year when i think we have our best shot?

28. Ofer says:

It would really chap my ass if we were the stupid team that gives Redden his money.

Someone’s going to do it and I’ll be thoroughly embarrassed if/when it’s us.

If he were not Canadian, he would be Vladimir Malakhov…he’s just not very good, or atleast not good enough to be the highest paid player on the team.

29. Stuart van says:

Even if its true that Pitkanen walks in 2 years, we should still trade him after next year, when he rebounds and has greater trade value.

Don’t think we need a premium defenseman overpay right now. If we want a veteran, it should be a cheaper Jason Smith/ type.

30. Coach pb9617 says:

I’ll take one of the Finger/Sauer duo before Redden or Smith.

31. Slipper says:

How ’bout Malik! or Rozsival?

I don’t think Redden has ever been a tough minute eater, atleast in recent seasons. Phillips and Volchenkov had that gig for the Sens the past few years.

The Oilers don’t need to pursue another puck moving defenceman fairie. I was hoping that mythical creature would finally be dead by this off season.

What they need is a good, solid 16 even strength minute a night defender who they throw out against Iginla, Gaborik and Tyler Fucking Arnason *wink. They should already have enough talent on the blue-line to exploit the soft to medium slots.

32. Coach pb9617 says:

“A person close to Jay Bouwmeester told Newsday that the defenseman wants out of Florida.”

Pitkanen and Stoll and whatever for Bouwmeester.

Done and Done

33. Coach pb9617 says:

It’s been a few months since I had to think about Arnason potting goal after goal on the Oilers like he was a Sedin…

Thanks. Thanks a lot.

34. Coach pb9617 says:

Pitkanen and Stoll and whatever for Bouwmeester.

Done and Done

Revised:

Pitkanen, Stoll and Greene for Bouwmeester.

Sign the kid long term and you have your tough-sledding, minute-eating dman.

35. spOILer says:

Nice debate raging here…

I don’t kow if it was a bit of “RFA negotiating” on Joni’s part, but it seemed to me at the end of the year, his game had come around. He was shooting from the point more, he was standing guys up more (forearm shivs at the top of the circle), decision-making on pinches and rushes seemed wiser, and he seemed to be playing thru pain.

I’d like to see what another year of MacT and Huddy does for his game, although I kind of wish Smith was sitting near him and not Staios for “attitude adjustment” purposes.

Joni has said he wants to play here. We really have no idea of whether he would walk in two years or not. I too would be leery to sign long-term after a year like that. But, to tell you the truth, if I’m Lowe, I’m throwing L-T pitches at his agent left, right and centre.

And perhaps nothing is done yet so Lowe can get a long term deal thru an offer sheet?

As for Redden, his weaknesses have been well accounted above, including his rumoured predilection for powder.

This guy’s game has so many problems, his own team won’t take him after a massive haircut. That is just so against the Red Wing GM playbook. If he’s not valuable to the Sens at $3M, what good is he to anyone else at $6M?

(Unless he was part of the Emery cabal? Like McGrattan & Spezza))

When Joni is playing well, he doesn’t need to be hidden from any line. He skates backwards almost as well as Foote, can play more physical than Redden at 6’3″ 215 lbs, and provides the rarest commodity of all in the NHL: he can beat guys one on one with the puck.

And doesn’t Redden normally play the left side on the PP? Don’t we already have that guy in NTC Souray?

If we’re going after a UFA and trading Joni for a sniper, then make it Rozsival that we sign. He does everything well and plays the starboard side: would bump Greene off the top 6 and Staios down to the bottom.

Redden I think will sign in SJ now that Campbell apparently needs to live in the East for “personal reasons”.

36. spOILer says:

Pitkanen and Stoll and whatever for Bouwmeester.

Done and Done

Revised:

Pitkanen, Stoll and Greene for Bouwmeester.

Sign the kid long term and you have your tough-sledding, minute-eating dman.

Will J-Bo play here though? Pretty shy guy, who looks like he would prefer to avoid the hometown
    hullabaloo.

37. speeds says:

Cap is going up to 56.7 mil LT, plan your spending accordingly :)

I posted what I believe to be an accurate* RFA compensation schedule for this summer at IOF, thought I’d let everyone know as it hasn’t had much new material since April.

* = I calculated that RFA compensation schedule based on the average league salary increase, which I believe is how the league does the calculation, but obviously my numbers are unlikely to be as precise as theirs.

38. speeds says:

oh, forgot a link to the cap increase.

39. jon k says:

56.7 is a good number. Much better than the previously rumoured 55.5.

It’s a bit of a shock to the system to not have to worry about the rising cap anymore.

40. CM says:

with the cap at 56.7 mil Is Sheldon Souray as untradeable as he was before? He’s only 9.5% of a teams payroll. if the oilers did sign Redden would it be possible to dish souray off to a team who missed out on the campbell sweepstakes?

Just a thought or perhaps a pipe dream.

41. Knamely Lacked says:

Yeah, that’s a pipe dream.