As the Oilers sit idling in the driveway, left defense is the most expensive position on the club.
By a mile.
I think it’s a good idea to go back over the numbers and post the cap hits before the RFA’s are signed and any UFA’s are brought in.
My own opinion is that Joni Pitkanen is now a player this team cannot afford and will be sent away soon for a scoring winger or a two-way center.
Let’s start with the cap stuff.
- GOALKEEPER: Mathieu Garon (1.1M), Dwayne Roloson (3.67M)
- LEFT DEFENSE: Sheldon Souray (5.4M), Denis Grebeshkov (1.5M), Ladislav Smid (.886M)
- RIGHT DEFENSE: Lubimor Visnovsky ($5.6M), Tom Gilbert (4M), Steve Staios (2.7M)
- CENTER: Shawn Horcoff (3.6M), Sam Gagner (1.625M), Kyle Brodziak (.497M)
- LEFT WING: Dustin Penner (4.25M), Andrew Cogliano (1.133M), Raffi Torres (2.25M), Ethan Moreau (2M)
- RIGHT WING: Ales Hemsky (4.1M), Robert Nilsson (1.833M), Fernando Pisani (2.5M)
- TOTAL SIGNED PLAYERS: 18
- TOTAL DOLLARS SPENT: $48,644,000
- CAP: $56,700,000
- DOLLARS AVAILABLE: $8,056,000
- ROSTER SPOTS AVAILABLE: 5
Let’s list the RFA’s:
- RW Zach Stortini (last year’s cap number: $534,000)
- C Marc Pouliot (last year’s cap number: $942,000)
- LW Ryan Potulny (last year’s cap number: $643,000-signed)
- D Joni Pitkanen (last year’s cap number: 2,400,000)
- G Jeff Deslauriers (last year’s cap number: $502,000)
Let’s list the UFA’s:
- LW Curtis Glencross (last year’s cap number: $522,000)
- C Marty Reasoner (last year’s cap number: $950,000)
And then let’s list some minor league players of interest:
- D Theo Peckham ($600,000)
- D Bryan Young ($540,000)
- D Sebastien Bisaillon ($500,000)
- D Mathieu Roy ($500,000)
- C Rob Schremp ($860,000)
- LW Bryan Lerg ($568,500)
- LW Liam Reddox ($508,000)
- LW Tim Sestito ($487,000)
With 8.056M million to play with, if we estimate 5 rfa’s (Pitkanen $4M, Pouliot $1M, Stortini $600k, Potulny $700k, JDD $600k) we get $6.9M and the Oilers have $1.156M to play with during the season and at the deadline.
Make sense? Love the D, thin at forward. I think they deal Pitkanen.