Stop Making Sense

This is David Byrne. He is (and always will be) a man straight out of the Twilight Zone. He’s impossible to ignore in the same way we can’t turn away from a car accident or a Joe Clark speech.

Unlike those things, David Byrne brings value. Rich, incredible value. If you’ve never heard his music, sample “Once in A Lifetime,” “Psycho Killer,” “Take Me to the River” (an Al Green song) or “This Must Be The Place.” It would help if you could see the video, too.

In the videos, Byrne looks like he’s in a Monty Python skit, all elbows and knees going in all directions seemingly at the same time.

Which brings us to the Toronto Maple Leafs. After a long period in which they’ve resembled a Talking Heads Video, they appear to have struck gold.

According to the headlines this evening, Ron Wilson has been offered the head coaching job in Godtropolis. We covered his firing here and suggested Toronto would be ideal for Wilson.

And it would. Massive redass for Leafs players, but ideal for the Maple Leafs.

13 Responses to "Stop Making Sense"

1. Bohologo says:

I second the reference to the eponymous movie-that live version of Life During Wartime is phenomenal, and Jonathan Demme’s finest hour.

Yet not even Demme could make the Leafs look good, and that makes me happy.

2. Ducey says:

“but ideal for the Maple Leafs”

Not so fast LT. I was away all weekend but they didn’t come up with a GM yet did they? Isn’t the coach the kind of thing a GM might want to have input on? Sounds like they’re putting the cart before the horse to me.

Also, they are going to be icing a bunch of scrubs and kids for the next few years. Is Wilson the guy for that? Just asking.

3. Islandlife says:

A Joe Clark speech…yeah who couldn’t watch that?

Islandlife: TRY turning away. You cannot do it. When he begins contorting his face and readies himself to speak French (it’s kind of like watching a pitcher wind up) you can not look away

5. Ribs says:

Awesome. the guy couldn’t coach a team loaded with talent and now he’s going to try a team with no(okay, a little) talent.

It should make for some fun post-game interviews. Maurice’s super-cool, don’t-care-how-bad-we-lost, shit-eating grin, post-thrashings-schtick was getting a bit tiresome. Ah, who am I kidding, it was still pretty hilarious.

Wilson can play it cool enough but you know he’s ready to burst when his cheecks get all red and his answers become one word article killers.

My prediction…TO media is going to eat this guy up.

I’m sure he’s a decent coach but the deal with him is that he just couldn’t push his players to play better. Some coaches possess this ability, others don’t. Guys like Wilson and Paddock should stick to what they’re good at. Assistant coaching.

6. Steve says:

I was actually just going to chime in to say that Joe Clark, whatever his other shortcomings, is a tremendously engaging public speaker. Far better than either of our last two PMs (although I’d take Chrétien on a good day over Clark).

Chretien was funny though, AND in a second language which is impossible.

8. Bruce says:

Leaf fan’s lament, courtesy Talking Heads:

We’re on a road to nowhere

Wasting away/And that was their policy

Same as it ever was/same as it ever was

I’m still waiting…I’m still waiting…I’m still waiting…
    I’m still waiting…I’m still waiting…I’m still waiting…
    I’m still waiting…I’m still waiting…

9. therealdeal says:

Honestly though, has coaching really been the Leaf’s number one problem for 40 years?

Methinks they need players…

10. therealdeal says:

The funny thing is that the only subject Harper can speak about in an engaging way is hockey. At least he picked a gooder.

11. Islandlife says:

TRY turning away. You cannot do it. When he begins contorting his face and readies himself to speak French (it’s kind of like watching a pitcher wind up) you can not look away.

It must be an acquired taste.

Personally, I’d rather remove my own gall bladder with a cocktail fork.

12. Dennis says:

It is honestly a great time to be a journo in TO because with Wilson about to take one seat — and Burke’s place being obvious going back to when he compared running the Leaves as the hockey equivilant to working for the Vatican, there’s just not gonna be enough space for all the quotes.

So, now you’ve got Wilson en route, Burke’s wife has quit her job in Van and if you saw Burke being interviewed by Scott Oake last night, you can see he’s begging Samueli to let him out of his last year.

13. rickibear says:

It is not uncommon in sport to give up a draft pick for the release of upper management.