BG Rewind?

Edmonton Journal has a piece this morning on Georges Laraque’s possible return to the Edmonton Oilers.

I have to say this is a very exciting possibility. Having someone to out-Boogaard Boogaard and make Regehr pay for his sins against Hemsky is pretty tempting for the fans, one can only imagine what that kind of protection means to the Hemsky’s and Gagner’s and down the line.

Dan Barnes suggests BG is thinking over several offers but is leaning toward the Oildrop. COME ON, big man! You know we love you!!! In my tiny little town of St. Albert, people still talk about pickup street hockey with BG playing with the local kids. I have to say he never did look right in Pittsburgh, and he looked completely wrong with that Coyote head on his jersey.

From the same article Barnes talks about the measured approach to Jaromir Jagr. The Oilers are apparently offering a one-year deal at more than $7M. The dollars are rich, but the more important consideration is that the Oilers are giving themselves leeway in order to sign their very important (pending) UFA’s.

Specifically Shawn Horcoff. I’m liking this summer’s Kevin Lowe. Good trades, went after the guy worth overpaying, is giving a generous offer to a one year rental and clearly has the Horcoff contract at the top of the list of considerations moving forward.

When guys don’t call, it means they’re not interested. The Oilers are interested in Shawn Horcoff.

Thank Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

102 Responses to "BG Rewind?"

1. Jonathan says:

That’s great news all-round. Thanks for passing that along.

2. Black Dog says:

If Stortini wants what they say he wants he’s going to be in for a nasty surprise (Springfield!) if LeGG comes back.

Barnes says its Jagr and then out which I love too. One year deal and if he doesn’t bite they go with what they got. No Huselius type deals.

Some might disagree but Lowe looks to have some of his mojo back.

Regarding Horcoff the fact that Katz called him on July 1st to talk about what they were doing and they had him recruiting Hossa tells me they plan to keep him.

3. Jonathan says:

Staples has a nice piece up this morning about Horcoff’s negotiations. Sounds very positive. This has been a really nice summer to be an Oilers fan so far, hasn’t it?

4. goldenchild says:

In Mact’s interview yesterday he talked about Hossa in terms of getting a player that could help get the best out of Horcoff and Hemsky. I thought it was significant that he mentioned both. This is terrific news, get it done.

5. Coach pb9617 says:

I thought it was significant that he mentioned both.

It shocking actually. Not a peep from the organization about Horcoff for so long and then, over the last three days, it’s blatantly obvious that they are going to extend him.

I just hope they aren’t sweet-talking him now, only to stick it in him during negotiations.

6. Dennis says:

But who’s coming out of the lineup at BG’s expense?

I like the idea of Jagr for two years before we have to pay 13-89 but, yes, there is the question of the wind blowing the wrong way and him walking after the first season and leaving us with dead money on the cap.

And you just know the Oilers will be mad after Hossa again next summer.

7. pennersmom says:

What ever happened to the burned bridges between BG and MacTavish? Or was that overstated?

8. Jonathan says:

But who’s coming out of the lineup at BG’s expense?

Stortini, I should think, especially given his contract demands. I imagine they’d alternate the two over the course of the year, maybe 50GP for Le GG and 30 for Stortini.

I think MacT starts to look better and better after playing for Therrien.

9. DBO says:

Mayeb Stauffer finally got to KLowe and MacT about having two enforcers and playingthem only 40-50 games per year. laraque plays on the fourth with brodziak and Stortini/Pouliot/Shremp. I like it. Georges and jason smith and we sort of redo 2006, i nthat we bring back the two most popular oilers in the room and the community and everyone sings kumbiaahh? Sign laraque, sign J. Smith and let’s start the season.

10. Kish says:

no giant Hossa deal, cole & Lubo, byebye rafi, Horc-love from the brass, LeGG redux rumours… great July so far!

11. Asiaoil says:

Play BG against the heavyweights (CAL, MIN etc) and Stortini against the middleweights – about 50 games each to keep them fresh and motivated to do their job

12. Dennis says:

Is BG ready to come back for only 300 AB’s a season?

I highly doubt it.

And can we get something in print about just how much Stortini’s asking for?

13. Big T says:

This might just be a tactic to make Stortini’s agent reconsider they’re demands.

T

14. DBO says:

Can you not have both Stortini and Georges playing, with brodziak between them? Brod gets PK time, and the occasional shift on the 2nd/3rd line. Wouldn’t this make us hard to play against, and like Stauffers been preaching you play 10 guys and the other two get minimal time. this slows the brodziak development, but he’ll see plenty of ice time, especially in the third taking Cogs faceoffs in our zone. And we play the hell out of the other three lines, giving us mismatches against the other teams fourth line, allowing our skill to outproduce.

15. HBomb says:

I’ll take that one step further: I hope he’s next in line for the “C” when Moreau hangs ‘em up in 2-3 seasons.

Speaking of which, we’re down one assistant captain with Stoll gone (Hemsky, Horcoff, and Staios remain). All in favor of giving the one remaining “A” to Fernando Pisani?

16. mc79hockey says:

And can we get something in print about just how much Stortini’s asking for?

I’m still fucking stunned by the fact that Zack Stortini is throwing his weight around in negotiations. I mean, good christ. With this team having about a billion young forwards, does this not seem like the stupidest time for a fringe-y forward to do this?

17. Black Dog says:

maybe he has a place in Springfield?

18. namflashback says:

I would, but then Andy Grabia’s going to think that he is wearing the “A” for Andy.

19. Ribs says:

Jagr, damn you. Sign somewhere and stop teasing me.

20. Black Dog says:

nam – beauty!

21. heed says:

too much laughter for this earl in the morning.

22. Jonathan says:

Stauffer’s pretty stupid to say that you “can’t roll four lines anymore” Detroit did it last year (noe of their top-12 forwards were under 10 minutes/game.

It might be one possible model, but it sure isn’t the only one. And I’m really surprised at the number of Oilers fans who don’t want their fourth line to be able to, you know, play hockey. Laraque and Stortini both are capable of playing the game; both are vastly superior to the kind of guy whose only talent is an ability to throw punches.

23. Schmidty says:

If BG is here do we need Stortini?

24. grease trap says:

Earl? I had no idea we were dining with royalty, my Lord!

Considering Stortini would be absolutely nothing without MacT, I find this news ludicrous, ridiculous, and supercilious! Maybe he’s always wanted to play for the flames…

25. doritogrande says:

I think the Islanders are on to our strategy. 1 year, guaranteed 1.75, high water mark of 4.3 for DOUG WEIGHT?

Somebody’s trying hard to get to the cap floor.

26. andy grabia says:

Oh and Grabia is having an orgasm somewhere re LeGG.

Right you are.

If the Barnes story is true–and I assume it is, but have to pretend otherwise so that my heart isn’t completely broken if something goes wrong–I’d imagine the only reason he hasn’t signed already is because of lingering issues with MacT and questions over playing time.

Incorrect. I would know he is wearing the “A” for Andy.

This has been a really nice summer to be an Oilers fan so far, hasn’t it?

Yes and no. Personally, I think, much like the Nylander case, that the Oilers got lucky on the Hossa non-deal. And the Torres dump look bad now. Now, if they can use that cash to sign Le GG, extend Horc and Cole, and sign another d-man for depth, then I am completely on board. Even a couple of those things would make me happy, at least until Katz says “in the heart of the community” for the five hundred and first time. Then I’m back to being a cynical curmudgeon. :)

27. therealdeal says:

Love to see GG back and that Jagr offer seems prudent to me. But I need to see it to believe it regarding Horcoff.

28. Schmidty says:

Everyone was talking up Pitkanen saying he would be back. Once traded it changed to he never meshed with our plans.

Horcoff has alternated good and bad years plus is coming off two injuries (shoulder and knee). Lowe could view him in the same light as 94 with a wait and see attitude.

29. Dennis says:

I think we need Mike Peca to be the other guy to play tough min behind 10.

It seems to me like this team’s all about making the playoffs and then some noise in that second season but as much as I like 51-78, not sure how comfortable I am calling us a playoff time with either of them centring our one of our two tough min units.

30. jon says:

“And the Torres dump look bad now.”

I do not know if this Torres trade was a contract dump or if Klowe and MacT had just had enough of his high maintainence personality. I remember cup run of 06 MacT saying that he has to find special ways to motivate Torres. Maybe they just simply wanted to remove him from the locker room and as a bonus we get some cap room to make a run at Hossa. It would not be the first time Klowe has traded a player due to locker room personalities…allegedly

31. Lord Bob says:

The nice thing about Laraque relative to Stortini is that Laraque is an effective hockey player even when he’s not filling the enforcer role. We saw last year that Stortini could get it done but only in very specific situations, whereas Laraque you can put out more generally.

Now, give Stortini two or three more NHL seasons and he’ll probably be able to do the same thing. But he can’t do it today, so if I’m Kevin Lowe and Zach Stortini barges into my office waving the Edmonton Journal around and saying that it’s either Laraque or Storts, I’m booking Zach’s ticket to Springfield there and then.

32. danny says:

… not the first time this week.

A peca type would be nice, but I would have rathered a Cory Stillman type to center Penmsky, and let Cole/Horc do the heavy lifting.

Horc playing 2nd tier tough minutes is pretty inflationary on his offensive numbers, and its not a good time to drive up the counting numbers.

33. Big T says:

Does J. Vasicek for $3.0MM over 2 yrs look like something we might like playing between Cole and Pisani playing the 2nd toughest behind Horpensky?

That or Peca on a one year deal for similar money looks good to me.

T

34. goldenchild says:

Dennis I agree there is a hole with Stoll gone behind Horc but I’m not sure you have to fill it in July. I don’t see think its a bad idea in letting some combo of 78, 51 or 13 see if they are up to it throughout camp and the early part of the season. If there not you should be able to find a vet rental in Jan-Feb that can fit the bill.

35. Schitzo says:

jon – if that is the case, I’m fine with the move. I don’t want ANY of Torres rubbing off on the kids.

36. transplantedjetfan says:

There’s been a lot of talk of Vasicek but didn’t the guy blow out his knees and lose a few steps?

I’d be just as happy with Reasoner as the 13th forward for year in case 78 and 51 can’t carry the load.

37. Doogie says:

This philosophy is a waste of everyone’s time and money. If you can’t play someone at least 8-10 minutes a night, why are they taking up roster and cap space? This isn’t the ’70s or ’80s, there won’t be a fight almost every night, there isn’t the need for two or three enforcers. I thought we all learned that in ’06 when half the League’s enforcers were disappeared because they couldn’t play hockey at the NHL level.

I dunno, frankly I don’t think I give a flying shit about his counting numbers. I’m interested in winning some damned hockey games, and if having Horc play the second-toughest minutes means we put more points on the board, so be it. If we need the Horc line doing all the heavy lifting, that’s fine, too, but it needs to be in the context of winning as many hockey games as possible, not manipulating a player’s market value.

I’ll bet a 2-4 of whatever anyone’s drinking that they sign Marty Reasoner.

There’s a nice little slot there for him imo and the coach loves the guy.

I’m not saying it’s my favorite move, but I certainly understand a coach wanting someone with experience in that role. Reasoner may not get all the at-bats on what imo should be the Cole-Pisani shutdown line, but if Pouliot and or Brodziak struggle in the role it can’t hurt to have someone named Sakic ready to step in.

Plus it helps the PK and Loxy would be happy.

39. Tyler says:

I don’t think that this is quite accurate. As I recall, MacT made a joke about having found a special way to motivate him. I’m pretty sure that he told him he’d get more women if he was a Stanley Cup champ. Here’s the story from Torres’ site making reference to it.

40. Tyler says:

And here’s Cam’s story on IOF with the actual quote.

41. andy grabia says:

Satan and Fedotenko to the Pens.

42. budorduke says:

Taylor Chorney three year deal as per Oil website..

43. pboy says:

I see that this clown is yapping about the Penner offer sheet again. Mike Green has played 174 games in the NHL and he received a contract averaging $5.25 million a year and Jeff Finger has played a grand total of 94 games and was just given $3.5 million by the Leafs. Apparently those and all the other terrible deals have been in response to something K-Lowe did last summer. There have been 31 offer sheets presented in the NHL and 6 of them went to Oiler players but the Penner one was the tipping point. It would be so great if some member of the media would call Burke on his bullshit but they all seem to be too intimidiated. If he ends up in Toronto, he will be on tv every night for the next 5 years…….

44. andy grabia says:

That’s fair, though I would describe it more as having enough of his erratic play. That being said, current Brule vs. current Torres is a no-brainer. Future Brule better be good. Creme Brule good.

45. grease trap says:

Crusty on the outside, soft on the inside?

46. Dennis says:

They do have Malkin-Crosby-Staal-Sykora up front but one of those guys hasn’t been counted on for offense and another’s getting long in the tooth.

Hall-Roberts-Ruutuu-Laraque all out the door and only Godard in.

There’s a chance their D could be even better this year with some of the kids improving and the perpetual summer wish that Mark Eaton will remain healthy but even with the additions of Mssrs. Satan And Ruslan;) you’ll be seeing a whole lot of Talbot, Kennedy and Jeff Taffe.

47. goldenchild says:

Last year everybody was hot for Mike Johnson is he still alive?

48. IceDragoon says:

Good day.

Lowetide: Would anyone like to argue one more time that the Ryan Smyth decision came in Feb/07? No sir. Management decided on Ryan Smyth summer 2006 when they allowed him to step into his walk year with nary a word.

You know I maintain that the decision was made much earlier, however the opportunity to move him for value wasn’t there. I think the SCFs was the straw… that set Lowe’s jaw… to bite the bullet.

Thank Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

AMEN!

Plus … Loxy would be happy.

ahem…
    ;-D

L8r
    Louise

49. namflashback says:

BG to ***treal. According to a Stauffer post on HF.

You can put it back in your pants Andy.

50. Dennis says:

There’s no accounting for the things you don’t know – as an aside, Pronger DIDN”T give Lowe a list of teams he’d be dealt to so let’s retire that excuse right now – but in reading Torres “it’s time I started concentrating more on hockey – this from a guy who’s been in the AHL since ’02 – and the way GlenX acknowledged that half the battle is finding guys you click with, ie his instant chem with 51, I must admit I had a little bit of seller’s remorse on GlenX as an ex-Oiler.

Interesting that he said the Flames offered a “Lot more”, though. 1.2 a year is something I would’ve been able to roll with but considering 20 classified that as a lot more than the Oilers offer, Edm honestly didn’t have much faith in 20.

One last thing on Torres/Brule: I’m not a supporter of the move because I’m one of the few guys in the world who realizes Raffi can play top six tough min and come up smelling good EVEN WHEN he’s not hitting all the time or doesn’t know how to make a five foot pass. It also looks like they put the financial salary dump cart before the Hossa horse and that’s always easy to spot. All that being said, and trying to get into the mind of Lowe, if you saw MacT somehow convince Robert Nilsson to block shots or dive to break up plays in the neutral zone, then you’d probably also think your head coach could unlock Brule as well.

We’ll know the score on Brule about halfway through his first A season as Oil property. If he’s not at damn handy a PPG, then he’s nowhere handy to covering this bet.

And, yes, Vasicek does pass the sniff test as a better Reasoner. Oilers don’t seem to be as good as picking unknown or out of favour forwards as they are D, though: Hejda-Gilbert-Grebs-Staios and going back to Slats, Gator.

51. Dennis says:

1: Mike Johnson called the OIlers and was rebuffed and then he got hurt but he had a damn fine ’07 if anyone pays attention to salary and role. I doubt the OIlers knew he was about to incur some major injury trouble but if they did and that was the excuse they took not to pay him, then good on them:)

2: BG to Cuntreal, eh? Have the franco press ever had a local that’s so loquacious and upbeat? I predict there will be an extra edition of La Presse a day just to follow Georges.

52. Jonathan says:

Silly Dennis, hockey isn’t about keeping the opposition from scoring, it’s about big hits and being able to beat up whoever’s enforcing for the Flames the next time Robyn Regehr clock Ales Hemsky.

Try to keep up.

53. Jonathan says:

Of course they knew. It’s the same way that Lowe knew Ryan Smyth would be injured and Sheldon Souray and Ethan Moreau would be healthy. Ahh, infallible crystal ball.

54. Dennis says:

TSN has Oil, NYR and Pit as leading JAgr suitors; says the second year is sticking point.

Pens sign MAF to 7/35; I think this has a chance to be an awesome deal for Pit. Fleury gave up some soft ones in the Finals but he was lights out up until that save for the loss to Philly and he was pretty awesome once he came back from injury.

55. Ribs says:

Last year everybody was hot for Mike Johnson is he still alive?

Shhhh… you’re going to get everyone riled up again about this guy. Let it go…just let it go…

56. Doogie2K says:

Yeah, Burke’s schtick is getting tiresome, not the least of which is because he’s fucking wrong. When did Columbus sign Rick Nash to his $5.25M second contract. If your guess was, “nearly two years before the Penner offer sheet,” congratulations, you win…well, nothing. I’m broke. But anyway, Burke is basically continuing to piss and moan because he’s the one that ran his team “into a sewer” last year, while Lowe is at least looking like he’s improving his team, even if the actual results are still pending.

As an aside, as the only person here who doesn’t viciously hate the Habs, Le GG signing in Montreal is good news, indeed.

You’ll excuse me for thinking that a two-time 20-goal scorer on the right side of 30 should actually score some fucking goals instead of looking like the minor-hockey warm-up skater got lost on his way back to his parents’ seats in the stands.

57. Jonathan says:

TSN says that Dan Boyle has been asked to waive his no-trade clause, with San Jose as the likely destination. Boyle has refused.

I would honestly believe that no team in the NHL has been hurt more by NTC’s than the Sharks, except that they dodged a bullet when Redden refused to waive his.

58. Dennis says:

Can’t be many more places that are nicer to live than SJ but, unfortunately for the Sharks, TB is one of them:D

59. Dennis says:

The problem with this, though, is SJ has a tonne of your forwards but TB has a tonne of forwards already getting paid.

Carle will be part of the move because that’s a bad contract and will have to be part of it all — though the term and overall is certainly less than Boyle’s — but after that, what else can we guess?

60. Steve says:

Hey, Montreal’s the only non-Edmonton Canadian team I don’t hate (actually, I guess I’m kind of bleah on Ottawa). And it’s probably good that he signed there – we don’t spend $1.5M in cap space on a guy whose play just doesn’t justify it, but we can rest assured that he’ll be receiving the adulation that he deserves from his hometown fans, so we can feel good about it. As I commented when he had that fan appreciation day after signing with Phoenix, “Georges Laraque would be the perfect hockey player if only he could play hockey.”

We still need some toughness, for sure, but at this point I’d rather see it come in the form of a gritty and defensively responsible blue-liner than in the form of an enforcer. A Glencross clone would be nice too, but I’m not sure I see any out there at the right price.

61. Oilman says:

Colorado Avalanche sign UFA defenceman Daniel Tjarnqvist to a one-year contract – as per TSN

62. Steve says:

And there goes Daniel Tjarnqvist, completing his Northwest tour of duty by signing with Colorado. Brother’s still available, though.

63. Doogie2K says:

@Steve: Sure, it’s a bit much for what he brings, but it’s a sentimental thing, really. And it’s not like Montreal doesn’t have the cap space to sacrifice an extra $500K or so. I suspect they’ve given up on Sundin at this point, anyway, and are getting on with their summer.

64. heed says:

how long does big georges last in montreal?

i give it one season.

65. Lord Bob says:

I’d sure have liked to see le grand un back in copper and blue, but I guess some bridges burn too low to ever be built back up again.

66. rickibear says:

Not at 3yr/4.5M

67. Lord Bob says:

Not at 3yr/4.5M

The term seems a bit much at that salary, but I’m tolerant of $1.5 million a year for Laraque for one or two years. The guy is an established third-line player who can put the puck in the net and beat up absolutely anybody.

68. dwillms says:

dennis: Pens sign MAF to 7/35; I think this has a chance to be an awesome deal for Pit.

And I think it also has a chance to be an awful deal for them.

Mirtle explained it best, who’s to say what kind of player Fleury will be in 3-5 seasons, let alone 7.

Remember how poorly he played up until he got hurt last season, and all the speculation the Pens would pick up a vet to spell Fleury?

Big risk, big reward I suppose.

69. Steve says:

Hey, the Rangers just signed an aging former superstar! This is certainly a radical departure for them.

70. Dennis says:

Forgive me for being dismissive but any argument that starts with, “Mirtle says…” isn’t one I’m all that interested in listening to.

You see what other guys are getting and the term is the only thing that’s the least bit scary and, personally, I don’t think it’s scary at all.

I’m glad that BG got his payday and I’m glad that it didn’t come at our expense. I’m not saying every team can win by turning every cheek but Det did it all last year and as pissed off as I got by people fucking with 83, I didn’t think it was that big a hinderance.

71. transplantedjetfan says:

so i guess this means the Rangers are out of the bidding for Jagr?

72. Dennis says:

As per Stauffer, Lowe and Co. have told Jagr’s agent not to do make Any decision until they talk to the Oiler s first.

Put this together with the Pens signing supporting players and NYR signing guys and this is starting to look positive.

Just in: Slats has said Rags WILL NOT resign Jagr.

I’d say it’s Edm or Russia or perhaps Mtl or Van depending on which way Sundin’s leaning.

73. Steve says:

Why would Jagr sign for one year, likely the last of his career, with a non-Cup contender in a city which I can’t imagine is high on his list of places to live? The only thing I can see in Edmonton’s favour is the Hemsky factor, but how big a factor can that really be?

Jagr at one year would be a great move, I think (unless it means dumping Penner, whose contract I still like – compensatory draft picks being another matter, of course). I just can’t see Lowe pulling it off, though.

I would rather try to get Havlat out of Chicago (a team with cap issues) at a bargain price, than sign Jagr.

75. doritogrande says:

Naslund at that term and dollar value would have been a good puckup for the Oil. Damn.

76. Black Dog says:

steve – money – what Cup contender is he going to sign with anyways?

And he can retire to L.A. or Florida or Prague.

77. budorduke says:

If the Oil get Jagr, great. If not, I think its safe to say Lowe et al have done a way better job this summer than anyone in the NW, [and Slats I might add]. Really excitintg summer.

78. budorduke says:

I’d be willing to take a risk on Havlat for sure.

79. transplantedjetfan says:

If Jagr feels he has two years left then I don’t see why he wouldn’t give a young team a shot. Two one year deals instead of one two year deal. Givies him the flexibility to change his mind after one year if things don’t go well. Hell, unless he signs with the wings, he won’t be playing for a cup favorite anyway.

80. DBO says:

The problem with a two year deal with Jagr, is that if he retires then his salary still counts against our cap next year. That’s the thing with players over 35 that is painful, it was done t prevent teams from giving an old player 3 years at 15 million, with 10 up front, then he retires, and only a cap hit of $5 mill for the year he plays. Can’t do it, so jagr while intresting is only a good thing if he’s certain to play next year. one year of Jagr, then he retires and it means we can’t keep one of Cole or Horcoff and that would suck.

81. Steve says:

what Cup contender is he going to sign with anyways?

Doesn’t Pittsburgh still have the cap room? Or did Satan pooch that?

82. Tyler says:

If I was Dale Tallon, I’d do a lot of things before I’d trade Martin Havlat to Edmonton. The first of those is trade him to one of about 25 teams with whom I don’t expect to be competing for a playoff spot.

83. Ribs says:

Rob Blake gets $5M for a years work? Think Souray can outperform? Hah…to be a Sharks fan…

84. namflashback says:

Of course, Detroit always gets some obligatory penalty calls for that Regeher versus Hemsky never seems to precipitate.

Trouble is that the best ways to play Hemsky guarantees Regehr is on the ice (cause Keenan does that) and that one of Moreau or Souray aren’t on the ice at the same time. Certainly not Stortini, or JFJ. And Regehr won’t give a crap if JFJ goes and dances with a Vandermeer.

We need one “in-shape” Dustin Penner to cross-over with Hemsky, have Hemsky pass the puck into Regehr’s feet and have Penner “just be in one of those situations where the stronger player comes out on top.” I know its not in his nature, but he’s the only sizeable Oiler player who is likely to be on the ice when Hemsky and Regehr are.

85. Ribs says:

Nam – Cole may cause fits this season for Hemsky-Killers. He’s great along the boards and in the corners.

86. Ribs says:

well… you know… when he isn’t getting “Orpik’d”.

87. Jonathan says:

88. Jonathan says:

I can’t figure out why everyone forgets this- even when Laraque was here, our guys got run. Look at any team in the league- Ottawa’s guys were getting run all year despite Brian McGratton; it’s the same situation everywhere. A nasty defenseman can care less if his team’s goon has to fight another team’s goon- this isn’t the ’80s, everyone.

I don’t mind having an enforcer, but he has to a) come at a reasonable rate and b) actually be able to play the game.

89. Schmidty says:

When Jagr and Hemmer played for the Czechs, who played RW and where did the other play?

90. Black Dog says:

re: retirement – does that cap hit count if a guy signs when he is under 35?

91. Scott says:

The cap hit doesn’t count if the contract is signed by a player under 35 even if that player retires.

Re: Third-line center, how about Sergei Fedorov?

92. andy grabia says:

Le sigh. Back to being bitter.

93. rickibear says:

Andy: Drink don’t be

94. misfit says:

Hey LT. How come every time you make a post about a specific UFA about to sign in Edmonton, he signs with another team within the hour?

Dude, you’re a jinx!

;)

95. PDO says:

Best of luck to the Calgary Flames this post-season.

JAGR!!!!

96. RiversQ says:

Dennis said:
    I’d say it’s Edm or Russia…

Ha ha ha ha.

I love it that Dennis framed it this way.

Edmonton, if your self-esteem isn’t already at rock bottom, it will be when Jagr chooses Novosibirsk.

97. dwillms says:

I mentioned Fedorov yesterday, but I read an article from Washington saying he was looking for the same money Naslund got ($4 mil per, possibly 2 yrs too).

98. Black Dog says:

Fedorov, Vasicek, etc – problem is the Oilers have a whack of young centres. We all know that one of these guys would be better to play on the Pisani line but Cogliano, Pouliot or Brodziak are likely all going to get a shot first.

Here’s a thought for Moreau insurance – Marty Gelinas.

Maybe LT can do a post. ;)

99. RiversQ says:

I think the SCFs was the straw… that set Lowe’s jaw… to bite the bullet.

What does that mean anyway?

100. Rod says:

>>I keep hearing this and it makes me wonder- whatever happened to option years? Sign him for one-year, 7M, than a second year with a player option at 6-7M. Maybe someone a little more familiar with the CBA could fill me in?< <

I’m no CBA expert or anything, but option-years are gone in the new CBA. At least on new contracts. IIRC, existing deals with option years were grandfathered in.

The exception for 35+ has already been mentioned (and the reason for it). That’s why Sakic has been signing one year deals with the Avs lately. He wasn’t entirely sure how many years he’d play, and Sakic didn’t want to leave the Avs with a huge cap hit upon retiring.

I’d think the new CBA could have yet another exception. That if the contract is for the same amount every year, the cap hit disappears upon the player retiring. regardless of whether the player was over 35 at the time of signing.

Anyway, Bob Mackenzie had a good line about the risk NJ took signing Rolston to 4 years. He said something along the lines of: “Rolston’s contract counts against the cap for four years, even if he’s abducted by aliens.”

Ah, the search engines will love this comment thread.

101. IceDragoon says:

riversq: What does that mean anyway?

Sometimes the crazy lady throws metaphors in a blender.
    ;-)

Lain thinks that Smyth was cut loose because he couldn’t elevate his play in the SCFs. I think he would have been traded before the lockout if Lowe could have got enough return to appease the masses; and that his play in the Finals was merely a straw that broke the camel’s back.

Lowe set his jaw. iow – He was determined and prepared for the confrontation.

And… bite the bullet? In the 1800s – old west, when a man was biting a bullet, he was enduring something deemed necessary and quite painful.

No matter the impetus, Lain and I both agreed that Ryan Smyth’s days in Edmonton were done.

102. sexy says:

情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣,情趣用品,情趣用品,情趣,情趣,A片,A片,A片,A片,A片,A片,情趣用品,A片,情趣用品,A片,情趣用品,a片,情趣用品

A片,A片,AV女優,色情,成人,做愛,情色,AIO,視訊聊天室,SEX,聊天室,自拍,AV,情色,成人,情色,aio,sex,成人,情色

免費A片,美女視訊,情色交友,免費AV,色情網站,辣妹視訊,美女交友,色情影片,成人影片,成人網站,H漫,18成人,成人圖片,成人漫畫,情色網,日本A片,免費A片下載,性愛

色情A片,A片下載,色情遊戲,色情影片,色情聊天室,情色電影,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,免費視訊聊天室,一葉情貼圖片區,情色視訊,免費成人影片,視訊交友,視訊聊天,言情小說,愛情小說,AV片,A漫,avdvd,情色論壇,視訊美女,AV成人網,情色文學,成人交友,成人電影,成人貼圖,成人小說,成人文章,成人圖片區,成人遊戲,愛情公寓,情色貼圖,成人論壇

情色文學,色情小說,情色小說,色情,寄情築園小遊戲,情色電影,aio,av女優,AV,免費A片,日本a片,美女視訊,辣妹視訊,聊天室,美女交友,成人光碟

視訊聊天室,聊天室,視訊,,情色視訊,視訊交友,視訊交友90739,免費視訊,免費視訊聊天,視訊聊天,UT聊天室,聊天室,美女視訊,視訊交友網,豆豆聊天室,A片,尋夢園聊天室,色情聊天室,聊天室尋夢園,成人聊天室,中部人聊天室,一夜情聊天室,情色聊天室,080中部人聊天室,080聊天室,美女交友,辣妹視訊