Erik Cole is a stud, no doubt. He’s a quality NHL player and Desjardins’ suggests he played against tough opponents and with middle-to-good linemates.
It’s a lot to give up (and plenty of future) but as a straight up NHL deal it makes a ton of sense for this team at this time.
Bob Stauffer is reporting on TEAM 1260 right now that they probably won’t sign him, allowing Cole to feel out the lay of the land (and new ownership) before making a decision on him toward the deadline.
Here’s the roster updated:
- GOAL: Mathieu Garon (1.1M), Dwayne Roloson (3.67M)
- LEFT DEFENSE: Sheldon Souray (5.4M), Denis Grebeshkov (1.5M), Ladislav Smid (.886M)
- RIGHT DEFENSE: Lubimor Visnovsky ($5.6M), Tom Gilbert (4M), Steve Staios (2.7M), Mathieu Roy ($.500M)
- CENTER: Shawn Horcoff (3.6M), Sam Gagner (1.625M), Andrew Cogliano (1.133M), Kyle Brodziak (.497M)
- LEFT WING: Dustin Penner (4.25M), Erik Cole (4M), Ethan Moreau (2M)
- RIGHT WING: Ales Hemsky (4.1M), Robert Nilsson (1.833M), Fernando Pisani (2.5M)
TOTAL DOLLARS SPENT: $50,894,000
DOLLARS AVAILABLE: $5,806,000
SPOTS AVAILABLE: 4
The 4 slots could go to Reasoner ($1M), Pouliot ($1M), Stortini ($.750M) and Schremp ($.860M) and that would put the 23-man roster at $54,504,000 and give the team a couple of million to spend somewhere during the season.