Hold Me Back!

I think the Edmonton Oilers public statement that they are offering Marian Hossa $9M a year is more “Hold me Back” than “Let Me at Him!”

Aside from giving the other 29 teams an indicator of where their offers need to be, it’s also a nice way of telling Oiler fans the new Katz regime is not going to let mere dollars get in there way.

There are a couple of problems with a $9M Hossa. First of all, I don’t think they can afford the guy:

• GOAL: Mathieu Garon (1.1M), Dwayne Roloson (3.67M)
  • LEFT DEFENSE: Sheldon Souray (5.4M), Denis Grebeshkov (1.5M), Ladislav Smid (.886M)
  • RIGHT DEFENSE: Lubimor Visnovsky ($5.6M), Tom Gilbert (4M), Steve Staios (2.7M
  • CENTER: Shawn Horcoff (3.6M), Sam Gagner (1.625M), Kyle Brodziak (.497M)
  • LEFT WING: Dustin Penner (4.25M), Andrew Cogliano (1.133M), Raffi Torres (2.25M), Ethan Moreau (2M)
  • RIGHT WING: Marian Hossa (9M), Ales Hemsky (4.1M), Robert Nilsson (1.833M), Fernando Pisani (2.5M)
  • TOTAL SIGNED PLAYERS: 19
  • TOTAL DOLLARS SPENT: $57,644,000
  • CAP: $56,700,000
  • DOLLARS AVAILABLE: over by $1M
  • ROSTER SPOTS AVAILABLE: 4

Notice Pitkanen is off the roster. If we make the 4 extra players Marc Pouliot, Zack Stortini, Mathieu Roy and a $1M Marty Reasoner that’s probably another $3.4M toward the cap. Since the Oilers like to have a cushion let’s make it $5M even that needs to be drive from the roster.

So, Lowe would have to deal Pitkanen, Torres and Staios. OR he’d have to find a home for Pitkanen, Roloson and Robert Nilsson.

I’d love to see Marian Hossa on this team, but it would put it so far out of balance we’d be talking about an extreme lack of depth somewhere. And given this club’s ability to sustain injury, it’s an impossible idea.

Right?

25 Responses to "Hold Me Back!"

1. Black Dog says:

Yeah I was running this around my head last night. By nature I don’t like spending the big big bucks (maybe because personally I don’t have them ;) ) but Hossa is certainly tantalizing. I know Jonathan is less then impressed by his numbers last year but this guy is just barely below the Crosbys and Malkins imo. He had an offyear but he was likely distracted all year by the rumours and plus he was playing for the Thrashers.

Could they make it work? Yes but it would be a tightrope. Move Pitkanen and Roloson this summer and I think it fits but of course if Garon went down, no more goaltending.

Then next year they sign Horc and Garon while moving 4 or 5 million – again it can be done.

I think that this is the way it is though these days. Every team has depth issues – its a cap world. Not like the old days when Detroit would pick up two or three vets for the playoffs just in case, contracts be damned.

I don’t think he comes here but its nice to see the alleged attempt. My concerns are that they turn around and throw seven million per at Demitra and/or Lowe beats his breast again, rending his clothes – is it ME?

Show some dignity. Try for Hossa. Fail? That’s ok. Move on to plan B, make sure its a smart one.

2. Yanner39 says:

I still in the “The Oilers can’t afford top notch free agents” mode so I never assumed the Oilers even had a shot at Hossa.

I think if the Oilers sign him, they worry about making the cap work later. That being said, I think Lowe and Olcyck will cover their bases and not shoot themselves in the foot for the future.

I think players like Roloson, Souray and Staios and Torres still have enough value that the Oilers may not get equal return for them, but they could at least get their contracts off the books.

3. therealdeal says:

If I had $9 million to throw at a player it would not be Hossa.

4. therealdeal says:

Speaking purely hypothetically, I would much rather we take this imaginary $9 million and put it towards Horcoff’s extention or new contract or whatever you want to call it.

5. Coach pb9617 says:

I still want Hagman for 2.75-3 million a year.

Pretty please?

6. Tyler says:

Cam and I were talking about this last night. If Lowe moves Penner and Souray, he can afford to sign Hossa and keep Pitkanen.

7. Traktor says:

MacTavish gets a free pass because he doesn’t have any “elite talent” and then when we have a chance to sign some elite talant people don’t want to give up our depth.

Man, I wish I had Craig’s job.

Traktor: You can’t be serious. I don’t think you can make the numbers work unless Souray goes, and a team taking Souray is going to be sending someone expensive back or is going to need an exceptional sweetener.

I don’t like the Oilers depth at F because their 3rd line guys are all over 2M but you can’t trade three of them either because someone has to do the hard work.

Rock, meet hard place.

9. gary b says:

“The Boston Bruins are preparing to present unrestricted free agent Marian Hossa with an offer in the neighborhood of $100M over 12 years, according to The New York Post.”

it’s nice knowing there’s someone out there in the hockey world even MORE insane.

10. Scarlett says:

Whoa Torres is outta here for Brule from Columbus. I don’t know anything about him, but looks like a salary dump?

11. goldenchild says:

Canada Day and I have been in the office since 7:00 am pst and will be here till market close at 1. In that time if the Oilers sign Hossa my day will be shot because we all will be waiting for the many other shoes to drop. It just doesn’t make sense to me how you could pay Hossa 9 or 10 mil and not have a team that is basically 7 or 8 guys deep.

The only way this sigining seems possible is if somehow they were able to dump Souray and not take a lot money back which seems unlikey or if they were to move a combo of Pitkanen and Horecoff and a depth payer like Pisani or Torres. I hope they duped somebody into plan A cuz I’m not sure how much better this team would be without Horecoff especially after moving Stoll.

A part of me would like to believe this is a well planned out move by Lowe and he has deals planned that would make this work and I should be excited. The other part of remembers last summer.

If I were Lowe I would let Boston offer 100 mil to Hossa and see if I couldnt talk Jagr into a 3 year deal riding shotgun with Hemmer front loading the first 2 years of the deal.

12. Quain says:

Thank goodness we traded a real NHL player for an AHL centre. We didn’t have enough of those.

13. spOILer says:

After “sleepng” on it, I’m not okay with giving a guy $9M when he’s a lousy fit for the first line.

If he was a natural LW, different story. But the moves this team would need to make to get under the cap, and then more maneuvering again to get some semblance of order to the lines… I don’t see it happening. If it were Nash, Vanek, Heatley, Kovy… different story.

I think/hope it’s misdirection like the Gomez rumours last summer.

That day ended in a play for Nylander, a second tier guy who was a better fit for Hemmer than I-only-know-how-to-pass Gomez. And a much better cap hit.

Jonesy had us in the Malone sweeps. He also seems to feel the player gone with Joni is Horcoff, for a “true” #1 centre. God those words make me sick every time I hear them. Can’t people see having Horc does for us what having cheap goaltending does for Montreal or Nashville?

I’d rather see Penner moved to have his position upgraded than Horc who is closer to a top centre than Dustin is a top LW.

If Boston is making the big splash for Hossa, are either Bergeron or Kessel available?

I’m hoping it’s no one this year from the UFA market. Let’s do it by trade. C’mon Olczyk. Man up.

Who would you rather have: a dizzy Gagne at $5.25M, or a wrong wing Hossa at $9M?

14. Scarlett says:

Pitkanen is off to Carolina for Cole. Looks like those rumours were true!

15. spOILer says:

Joni for Cole shouldput us out of the Hossa sweeps, unless Horc or Souray are being moved.

16. Scarlett says:

Cole only has one year left on his contract. I hope an extension is on the way too otherwise crap trade if we lose him next year.

17. Coach pb9617 says:

So it looks like hte lineup is mostly set with ~5.5 left under the cap?

Sign Finger, extend Horc, playoffs

18. Coach pb9617 says:

Also, LT, is Brule now #1 in the system :) ?

coach: No. :-)

20. spOILer says:

Leafs first big move is signing Cujo.

21. Dennis says:

Matheson also said the Oilers were in serious talks to get Malone so it looks like we dodged a major bullet there.

22. Ribs says:

I’d take a big pass on paying Hossa the big money that some sucker is going to give him. if you’re going to have a team that is top-heavy, go with a North American born player. The playoffs are unforgiving to Euro finesse players and it creates a very high risk factor when you want to get past the first round. Hossa did pretty well this year in the playoffs but you’re kidding yourself if you think he could have done it without having Crosby and Malkin in the lineup.

23. spOILer says:

And Malkin, Datsyuk, Zetterberg would all be Canadians?

24. spOILer says:

Somewhere there is an unhappy HBomb today.

25. Ribs says:

And Malkin, Datsyuk, Zetterberg would all be Canadians?

Datsyuk and Zetterberg’s combined cap hit is $9.35M. Do they win the cup with one of them gone?

The point is that the Oilers don’t have the scoring depth to rely on if they put all of their eggs into one prone-to-being-shutdown basket.

You could sign Hossa long-term and hope he can still produce once Gagner gets going but it might be a risky way to go.